HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Dandenault NOT on the trading block

Old
09-19-2008, 12:57 PM
JMMR

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Why do people still think Dandenault is a defenceman on this team?
He is not a forward either he just can not compete, I honestly doubt he could crack the top 9 in Hamilton.

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 01:03 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastRide View Post
We pretty much assumed this but fourthperiod is reporting Dandenault more than likely is getting the boot. We got GL to take penalties for us. We don't need Dandenault adding to that total plus taking up cap space..LOL. With Ryan O'Byrne and Pavel Valentenko fighting for a regular position.

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/mtl080919.html
Dandy has nothing to do with the defense, the front office sees him as a forward and probably the 15th on the depth chart. I can't see him being on the roster when the season starts.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 01:10 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
He would be key on defense.....for the Dogs.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 01:12 PM
Iwishihadacup

hes gone to Tampa Mark My words

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 01:14 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Yea it makes no sens. O'Byrne won't take Dandy's spot; it's more likely that Laraque or any fourth line player will, though.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 01:16 PM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMR View Post
He is not a forward either he just can not compete, I honestly doubt he could crack the top 9 in Hamilton.
ok now, don't be that guy.

He came over here when all the other ufas turned their back on us, remember? He wears the jersey with pride and honor, and he has had a successful career in the nhl.

it's obviously rough times to be dandy ... and you won't hear him complain, he just wants to get out of here without any drama, and I respect that.

Can he play in the nhl still? yes of course, there is no doubt in my mind....

its when you start getting rid of the dandys that you realize how good the team will be this year....

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 01:16 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

He seems like a good guy so I wish him all the best... his time as a contributor is up here whether he stays on our cap or not.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 01:19 PM
Riverboat Gambler

He'd be useful to have around. It's too bad he's been vocal about not being happy with ice time since he was a decent forward for us last year. He has great speed, is a decent forechecker, and pots the occasional goal. Also, in 06' during the playoff run he played well.

Like many others have said, he'd be a decent addition to a young team, but Dandy's going to have to face reality at this point in his career he's no longer a regular.

Riverboat Gambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 01:27 PM
Joe Cole

Quote:
Because he clearly is not a forward. He totally looks lost out there. He offers nothing as a forward besides some speed and a touch of physicality.

It is a shame because when MTL could not get a free agent, much less a francophone, to come to MTL, he came, albeit at a bloated (for the time) price. Now, the situation has changed on the team, and he is just dead wood.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 01:29 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

wow not even Carbo know's what to do with him

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 01:29 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Turkey View Post
He'd be useful to have around. It's too bad he's been vocal about not being happy with ice time since he was a decent forward for us last year. He has great speed, is a decent forechecker, and pots the occasional goal. Also, in 06' during the playoff run he played well.

Like many others have said, he'd be a decent addition to a young team, but Dandy's going to have to face reality at this point in his career he's no longer a regular.
Agreed. Dandenault had his uses last year, he actually played quite well for a stretch on the 4th line, but there's no room in the roster or the cap for him.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 01:32 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
Because he clearly is not a forward. He totally looks lost out there. He offers nothing as a forward besides some speed and a touch of physicality.
But he was a forward with us at this point of his career. Bringing up O'Byrne and Valentenko doesn't make any sens since he would never have played D anyway.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 01:41 PM
Riverboat Gambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades 0f Steel View Post
Agreed. Dandenault had his uses last year, he actually played quite well for a stretch on the 4th line, but there's no room in the roster or the cap for him.
The cap system has been particularly tough on aging vets, as it's much more economical, and seemingly productive for clubs to spend the cap space on top 6 guys. Then have cheaper young players take up spots on the 4th line.

Dandy is facing the reality that Mike Johnson faced last year. He's an adequate bottom line player and his experience should afford him his proper pay. Unfortunately for him, there are cheaper options and we need bang for our cap space.

Old
09-19-2008, 01:43 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
The cap system has been particularly tough on aging vets, as it's much more economical, and seemingly productive for clubs to spend the cap space on top 6 guys. Then have cheaper young players take up spots on the 4th line.
They really need to amend the part of the CBA for players over 35. Jagr would have stayed in the NHL, Schneider could be re-negotiating his contract right now, Mogilny wouldn't have had to been waived etc.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 01:50 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

Dandy is facing the reality that Mike Johnson faced last year. He's an adequate bottom line player and his experience should afford him his proper pay. Unfortunately for him, there are cheaper options and we need bang for our cap space.
I agree with what you are saying. It's hard to feel bad for Dandy though when a guy of his calibre is finishing a 3 year 5.5 mil contract. At this point, eveven if he has to play for a milion a year he's still making a good living playing a sport and he can retire comfortably at any point.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 01:50 PM
Riverboat Gambler

Quote:
They really need to amend the part of the CBA for players over 35. Jagr would have stayed in the NHL, Schneider could be re-negotiating his contract right now, Mogilny wouldn't have had to been waived etc.
I think the players union has the option to re-visit the CBA after this year. I'd suppose that's an issue. One thing in the vets favour this year, there is no bonus cushion. So the players count for the full value of the salary (bonuses and all) against the cap. This way young players, or any player, with performance incentives can't be understated against the cap. So Stamkos won't count for the old rookie salary he'll count for 3.5 mil. Bob Mckenzie says it better.

http://tsn.ca/columnists/bob_mckenzie/?id=249738

Truthfully, I'm not concernded and i like the infusion of young players but I do hope any issues with the CBA are settled without stoppages in play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I agree with what you are saying. It's hard to feel bad for Dandy though when a guy of his calibre is finishing a 3 year 5.5 mil contract. At this point, eveven if he has to play for a milion a year he's still making a good living playing a sport and he can retire comfortably at any point.
Yes, and I don't feel bad for him per se. In a perfect world we could keep him around and plug him in when the opportunity presents itself (maybe to get a speed advantage against a team with a slower 4th line). Maybe get him in 25 to 30 games.

But I don't think that's the scenario the veteran Dandenault has in mind.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 09-20-2008 at 01:31 AM.
Old
09-19-2008, 01:56 PM
dlandry77

Dandy came in when things were really bad here, so I wish him the best.

Trade him to florida or a team that could use him right now, I still think he can play hockey.

Our team looks great, GO HABS GO

dlandry77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 02:03 PM
CastroLeRobot
Hab-a-bouille

Quote:
how so? You mean not to apply the cap on player over, say, 35?

CastroLeRobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 02:05 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
hes gone to Tampa Mark My words
I hope that means one of Ouellet or Jokinen (preferably Jokinen) are sent the other way.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 02:10 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Do we? If Chipchura is in Hamilton, we have $2M of free space, which would get us any player in the league at the deadline, even if we keep Dandenault and none of the rookie bonus money becomes unattainable in the meantime.

Maybe we thought we needed cap space on July 1st. Definitely we'll need it next year. But July 1st has come and gone, and Dandy will be UFA next year. So we actually don't need any further bang for our cap space at the moment. That has disappeared as a motivator for moving Dandenault.

I say keep him, so long as he's satisfied with his role as the 14th forward/8th D. He provides depth and versatility we might just need before all is said and done this year.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 02:15 PM
Riverboat Gambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastroLeRobot View Post
how so? You mean not to apply the cap on player over, say, 35?
I'll take a stab at this, although I may not have it correct, here's my understanding.

Although it doesn't apply to Dandy in his current situation. It will effect him, and other marginal players like him, during his next contract negotiation.

Under the current CBA, if clubs sign a player who is 35+ to a long term deal they are responsible to pay out the contract even if the player retires (see Andreychuck [sic]). This players salary counts against the cap for the duration of the contract, making it kind of irresponsible to sign anyone over 35 to anything other than a 1-year contract.

It's ok for star players who can operate on a year-to-year basis securely but for more marginal veteran players there's less risk involved to going with a young player.

Old
09-19-2008, 02:21 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalev the Great View Post
ok now, don't be that guy.

He came over here when all the other ufas turned their back on us, remember? He wears the jersey with pride and honor, and he has had a successful career in the nhl.

it's obviously rough times to be dandy ... and you won't hear him complain, he just wants to get out of here without any drama, and I respect that.

Can he play in the nhl still? yes of course, there is no doubt in my mind....

its when you start getting rid of the dandys that you realize how good the team will be this year....
look, we paid the guy 1.75 million and he's not deleivering. End of story.

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 02:26 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalev the Great View Post
Actually he already complained last year about not playing, said he was going to have to talk to his family, evaluate his position on the team, etc.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 02:27 PM
Riverboat Gambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Do we? If Chipchura is in Hamilton, we have $2M of free space, which would get us any player in the league at the deadline, even if we keep Dandenault and none of the rookie bonus money becomes unattainable in the meantime.

Maybe we thought we needed cap space on July 1st. Definitely we'll need it next year. But July 1st has come and gone, and Dandy will be UFA next year. So we actually don't need any further bang for our cap space at the moment. That has disappeared as a motivator for moving Dandenault.

I say keep him, so long as he's satisfied with his role as the 14th forward/8th D. He provides depth and versatility we might just need before all is said and done this year.
I agree with that, and i think that's consistent with my other posts. Meaning, in a perfect world, I'd keep him too but given his comments and dissatisfaction with playing time last year, I can't see it as a healthy situation. It's also astute of you to pick out Chipchura, the cap could be a reason he might not make the team this year. Also if he were sent down at any point that would free up a lot of space. So that's working against him.

I'm refering to Dandy's plight in more generic terms. Him being longer in the tooth, I asert that it's tougher for players of his ilk under the current CBA in general. Maybe not so much during 08/09, due to the CBA posturing... but the league has been moving away from his type of player in general.

Old
09-19-2008, 02:28 PM
Megaforce

1-sex change
2-Bulgaria.

Megaforce is offline   Reply With Quote