HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dandenault NOT on the trading block

Old
09-19-2008, 02:32 PM
CastroLeRobot
Hab-a-bouille

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Turkey View Post
I'll take a stab at this, although I may not have it correct, here's my understanding.

Although it doesn't apply to Dandy in his current situation. It will effect him, and other marginal players like him, during his next contract negotiation.

Under the current CBA, if clubs sign a player who is 35+ to a long term deal they are responsible to pay out the contract even if the player retires (see Andreychuck [sic]). This players salary counts against the cap for the duration of the contract, making it kind of irresponsible to sign anyone over 35 to anything other than a 1-year contract.

It's ok for star players who can operate on a year-to-year basis securely but for more marginal veteran players there's less risk involved to going with a young player.
I see...at the same time, if you do that, some teams (yes..I'm looking at you Anaheim...you too, NY!) will take advantage of this by offering multi-year multi-million contracts to players they know will retire, and as such circumvent the salary cap.

But yes, I agree...marginal players get screwed by this. In the case of Dandenault, he's 32, so it doesn't apply, as you said. I think the man has more than enough money to retire. Although I like him, I don't think he's got enough of what it takes to be a sure lineup guy in this league. He has either to accept his role, retire or go play in Europe.

Sorry Dandy, but you know, it's not like you were born in Darfour or stuck in Burma...

CastroLeRobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 02:50 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Do we? If Chipchura is in Hamilton, we have $2M of free space, which would get us any player in the league at the deadline, even if we keep Dandenault and none of the rookie bonus money becomes unattainable in the meantime.

Maybe we thought we needed cap space on July 1st. Definitely we'll need it next year. But July 1st has come and gone, and Dandy will be UFA next year. So we actually don't need any further bang for our cap space at the moment. That has disappeared as a motivator for moving Dandenault.

I say keep him, so long as he's satisfied with his role as the 14th forward/8th D. He provides depth and versatility we might just need before all is said and done this year.

I can't see him being happy being that low on the depth chart. Another issue is that I think Lapierre is better on the wing with Chip at center.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 03:41 PM
Mustafa*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
He would be key on defense.....for the Cyclone.
Fixed

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 03:46 PM
White Spy
Spy vs Blades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlighting View Post
I hope that means one of Ouellet or Jokinen (preferably Jokinen) are sent the other way.
Are you serious? At this point we're lucky to get anything higher than a fifth and you have to remember we're trying to FREE a roster spot.

White Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 03:54 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastroLeRobot View Post
I see...at the same time, if you do that, some teams (yes..I'm looking at you Anaheim...you too, NY!) will take advantage of this by offering multi-year multi-million contracts to players they know will retire, and as such circumvent the salary cap.

But yes, I agree...marginal players get screwed by this. In the case of Dandenault, he's 32, so it doesn't apply, as you said. I think the man has more than enough money to retire. Although I like him, I don't think he's got enough of what it takes to be a sure lineup guy in this league. He has either to accept his role, retire or go play in Europe.

Sorry Dandy, but you know, it's not like you were born in Darfour or stuck in Burma...
Something needs to be changed in order to keep players like Jagr from just leaving for the KHL.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 04:05 PM
tipping point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
hes gone to Tampa Mark My words
I agree, either Tampa or LA

tipping point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 04:23 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastRide View Post
We pretty much assumed this but fourthperiod is reporting Dandenault more than likely is getting the boot. We got GL to take penalties for us. We don't need Dandenault adding to that total plus taking up cap space..LOL. With Ryan O'Byrne and Pavel Valentenko fighting for a regular position.

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/mtl080919.html
Yet another good example of media tabloid in Montreal... Carbonneau didn't single out Dandenault, he actually did a great job avoiding the trap. But they reported it the way THEY wanted.
"We still have a couple of weeks before the start of the season. A lot of things can happen. He's battling for a spot like pretty much everybody. I can't say right now what's going to happen to him, or anybody else." ~ Guy Carbonneau.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 09:14 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Do we? If Chipchura is in Hamilton, we have $2M of free space, which would get us any player in the league at the deadline, even if we keep Dandenault and none of the rookie bonus money becomes unattainable in the meantime.

Maybe we thought we needed cap space on July 1st. Definitely we'll need it next year. But July 1st has come and gone, and Dandy will be UFA next year. So we actually don't need any further bang for our cap space at the moment. That has disappeared as a motivator for moving Dandenault.

I say keep him, so long as he's satisfied with his role as the 14th forward/8th D. He provides depth and versatility we might just need before all is said and done this year.
You make good sense. Last year at this time, I was posting that Dandenault had to be moved because of the crisis of having 8 defencemen plus O'Byrne. I was sure he was going to get moved, McGillisized or otherwise.

Obviously wrongheaded in retrospect. Dandenault gave Carbonneau some good minutes last year. We criticize him for being no better than a 14th forward, but he is a pretty good 14th forward. You might as well keep a guy like that if nothing is forcing you to get rid of him.

The cap is no problem. He hasn't forced himself out yet. That leaves only one thing: the battle at training camp. As it is now, one of Begin, Kostopolous and Laraques is a spare forward. Chipchura doesn't have a spot. But I don't know who else would seriously challenge. Stewart? D'Agostini? (I won't even say Pacioretty.)

If Dandenault loses his spot, then someone on the outside looking in has done very well in training camp. Realistically, that would mean beating out Dandenault and one of Begin and Kostopolous as well. A rookie has to grab at least the 12th forward spot. Otherwise he's better served in the AHL.

It would also mean pushing veteranship off the roster and out of the line-up. That's an important consideration for a team that plans on playing for the Cup. I think it's going to be hard for even Chipchura to stick with the team, even though there few real doubts about him being ready for the NHL.

So, yeah, keep Dandenault. For now.

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 09:37 PM
Pax Macioretty

Quote:
you mean like it's already a done deal?

Pax Macioretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 10:57 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Tampa already has waaaaay too many forwards as it is.

The Lightning are literally the last team in the entire league that I think would take him.

Where would Dandenault fit in there?

They have already:

St. Louis/Lecavalier/Vrbata
Malone/Stamkos/Recchi
Roberts/Prospal/Jokinen
Ouellet/Gratton/Hall
Ward/Halpern/Artyukhin
Hall/Bochenski/Craig
Tarnasky

That's SIX full lines of NHL forwards, with a spare forward on top of it. You think they're gonna go out and make a deal to acquire a guy that would be down near the bottom of that depth chart, and pay him nearly $2 million ... why they are pressed up against the cap?

This makes zero sense.

FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 10:59 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

All makes sense now...Dandenault for Gaborik.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 12:19 AM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
you mean like it's already a done deal?
packed and sealed?

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 12:28 AM
Clumsyhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipping point View Post
I agree, either Tampa or LA
After Broadway Brett, I hope we'll see Hollywood Dandy on RDS frontpage soon.

Clumsyhab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 12:45 AM
LastRide

Dandenault isnt going to make or break this team. He took a lot of idiotic penalties last year. He was scratched 21 times last year. While we were looking at Ryder up in the press box. Dandy was right beside him. Now that we have 2 extra bodies Tanguay and Lang. There is no place in the forward position for him. I'll take Begin over him any day. On D there is not room either. O'byrne proved last year he can play. He's a big man that can hit and has a big reach. Besides, Dandy would complain about ice time if he were to be a spare body.

LastRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 01:45 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitespy View Post
Are you serious? At this point we're lucky to get anything higher than a fifth and you have to remember we're trying to FREE a roster spot.
Agreed. Getting someone to take on Dandy and his salary... the Habs will accept just about any pick.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 01:48 AM
Skrudland

I love you Dandy! I'll still wear your sweater with pride!!!

Skrudland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 07:08 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:

I think it hurts us in three ways, actually. First, Chipchura would normally serve a role as a decent checking forward. Having both Lapierre and Chipchura in the lineup would allow for 3rd period line shuffling when the Habs have the lead.

Second, it means Chipchura gets little/no time to develop in the NHL this year. He won the Calder Cup in his 1st year with Hamilton, spent the 2nd year between the AHL and NHL, what's left for him to improve on in the minors this year? That's on top of the fact that D'Agostini likely won't see more than a couple of games with the Habs.

Third, if my estimations are correct, Chipchura is a much better player than Dandenault at this point. I'd much rather have a more developed Chipchura in the playoffs than Dandenault.

As for the the cap space, if Dandenault is moved, that's 1.75 mil of free cap space to use at the deadline. That's good enough to get most players in the league.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 09:12 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

I remember when he tackled that dude from Detroit who was roughing up Koivu.

That was hilarious.

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 09:16 AM
PhysicalTorque

Damn, this is prime game for Murray, he'd just love to get his hand on another fourth liner.

PhysicalTorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 09:17 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
What about Boullion?

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 09:19 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
I didnt see Dandy as that bad of a defensive forward. Teams wont have much trouble reaching the floor as bonuses count against the cap. Give Huet a bonus for 20 shutouts for 4 million and he is over j/k.

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 11:17 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarfangor View Post
What about Boullion?
Bouillion is actually gonna be in our starting lineup this year. Unless a guy like Tank blows us away in training camp... Bouillion is our third LD.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 11:32 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

A lot of people on here over hypwe every young player drafted by the Habs and knock all the veterans. As of right now Bouillon is the #4 d-man on this team, before moving him I'd be damn sure that whoever is stepping up to his spot(Gorges? O'byrne?) is ready and an upgrade and that the guy stepping in to the #6 spot is as good as those 2.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 05:22 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 3907
Dandenault NOT on the trading block

I'm watching RDS and Renaud Lavoie just said he got confirmation today that BG is NOT trying to rid of Dandenault. He will start the season as a Canadien.

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 05:24 PM
mbz

Probly because no one wants him and his contract.. He's so useless I wish we could get rid of him.

mbz is offline   Reply With Quote