HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brooks on Zherdev 09/19/08

Old
09-19-2008, 01:12 PM
Fletch

vCash: 500
perhaps I should not have implied a lot in my post, 94. If Zherdev works hard, his talent should be relized and the points will come. And there was a double-meaning in the post because the NY fans often like those guys who score no goals but work their tail off. Hope that's a bit clearer.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 01:13 PM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
no, but none of the other 5 beat writers i have read called him lazy, just that he had one really bad turnover......and imho, they are all better than larry
I hear ya, but none of the beat writers are as bold as larry brooks or as quick to call someone out on something, and I like that about brooks. He'll give props but he'll call you out, he's not afraid of saying something negative and seeing them in the locker room the next day. I feel like a lot of the others are...I don't blame them maybe I would be too

I guarantee half of all fans will boo and hate zherdev. Someone quote me and keep it in their sig, I dare ya!

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 01:19 PM
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmessier011 View Post
I hear ya, but none of the beat writers are as bold as larry brooks or as quick to call someone out on something, and I like that about brooks. He'll give props but he'll call you out, he's not afraid of saying something negative and seeing them in the locker room the next day. I feel like a lot of the others are...I don't blame them maybe I would be too

I guarantee half of all fans will boo and hate zherdev. Someone quote me and keep it in their sig, I dare ya!
you say bold, i say full of it.....i mean he writes for a tabloid....

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 01:26 PM
Turambar

Quote:
seriously. bold, my ass. the guy is a complete tool, plain and simple.

his entire career is based on negativity.

Turambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 01:45 PM
Shadowtron

Quote:
It's not boldness, it's style. His style. Some writers are naturally more abrasive than others. Sam is a good writer, but writes about the Rangers as though he were writing about friends. Picking a writer is as easy as picking a flavor of cola. Choose the ones ya like and forget about the rest.

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 01:52 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

I'm sorry but Zherdev is a kovalev in terms of letting him play his game. You have to let him play his game, and if you start to forge his game then things are going to go down hill pretty fast.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 02:01 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrJeff View Post
Since when does Zherdev have "suspect integrity" ?
Since he has been repeatedly called out by his coaches and observers of the game as someone who collects a paycheck without putting forth an honest effort. I didn't think that needed an explanation.

chosen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 02:03 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by _AC_ View Post
I'm sorry but Zherdev is a kovalev in terms of letting him play his game. You have to let him play his game, and if you start to forge his game then things are going to go down hill pretty fast.
Hmmm sounds like a certain Czech star that just recently bolted town.

At least he had the credentials to almost warrant that type of special treatment.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 02:09 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron View Post
Sam is a good writer, but writes about the Rangers as though he were writing about friends. Picking a writer is as easy as picking a flavor of cola. Choose the ones ya like and forget about the rest.
I get the feeling he has a media relationship with the team not terribly unlike Micheletti and Rosen. FriendLY because you see these guys daily and need a reciprocal relationship in order to get the kind of access they do.

Brooks always strikes me more of a fan. Maybe he's attending press conferences and games, but is he at every practice and in the locker room trying to get a unique story or interview?

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 02:14 PM
The Amity Affliction
Chasing Ghosts

I don't think anyone should get overly concerned with this, as it's the 2nd day of training camp. There is more than enough time for Zherdev to get his act together if it really is as bad as Brooks says it is.

Larry is just doing his job. If you don't like it, tough ****, don't read him.

I'm just going to sit back and wait for the season, and hopefully, I'll get a good glimpse of Zherdev during the preseason so I can start to make my own judgment then.

The Kovalev comparisons are almost dead-on, if you ask me. With that being the case, why would anyone be surprised by all of this?

The Amity Affliction is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 02:35 PM
Levitate

The other beat writers have also weighed in on Brooks' article, and don't seem to fully agree with him at least. Zipay thought that Brooks might have a point, but seemed to mainly be talking about The Turnover™ and how Zherdev will overhandle the puck sometimes (which is also something Renney talked about). Zipay went on to say that Zherdev isn't just coasting through practice, but that he does "cruise" into position (which is pretty consistent with most skilled offensive players).

Sam talked about The Turnover™ as well, but again the talk seems to be more about Zherdev's tendency to overhandle the puck at times rather than saying he's just plain dogging it out there.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 02:39 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
The Turnover™

Now other writers are talking about the Brooks article?!?!? Touche' Mr. Brooks. Touche'.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 03:01 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Well well well. I been saying all summer this kid is an enigma and will remind a lot of people of a future hall of famer who used to play here named Kovalev. Now the guy who follows and reports on the Rangers the most reports that and he is a tool? Guy showed up to camp looking a little........out of shape to be nice and Larry is wrong? The expectations here for this guy is starting to scare me. Zherdev isn't going to be a savior for this team, that guy is playing in OMSK. Get used to this kind of talk regarding this player guys, you will hear it all season long.

My bet is atleast half this board is going to want him gone by Feb.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 03:08 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post

Now other writers are talking about the Brooks article?!?!? Touche' Mr. Brooks. Touche'.
I think Zip & Sam were responding to blog comments/questions regarding the article.

Sam takes some shots at Uncle Larry from time to time, and I think it stems from when Sam was a rookie on the beat, but I'm not really sure.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 03:25 PM
leesmith
Still in.

I've seen that kind of laziness from Zherdev during much of his tenure here in Columbus. So it's not hard to believe what Brooks wrote.

Last season was the first season where Z actually applied himself, and even then, it only lasted for half the season. He's your problem now - until he leaves again for Russia next season.

Dan Fritsche, OTOH, was a good acquisition for the Blueshirts.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 04:45 PM
beastly115

This is too funny. Everyone is getting so pissed about Brooks putting in print what has been a concern for the past 2 months.

Why do you think Zherdev didn't cost us the farm? Because he's had a bad reputation in Columbus. These are the same problems Zherdev had in Columbus and now it should be different? Maybe it will, maybe it won't. But until he proves to us he will fix his work ethic, he has a reputation.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 05:18 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
I think Zip & Sam were responding to blog comments/questions regarding the article.

Sam takes some shots at Uncle Larry from time to time, and I think it stems from when Sam was a rookie on the beat, but I'm not really sure.
There is a swedish blogger who follows the NHL but lives in NY, and is a NYR fan, so he covers us pretty much -- I don't remember the details but he have had some funny storys about how Brooks have made "the outsiders" know their place around the team.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 05:38 PM
shoothepuck

The other Ranger that wore #13, Sergei Nemchinov, won a cup. Maybe the luck rubs off on Zherdev.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 05:48 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoothepuck View Post
The other Ranger that wore #13, Sergei Nemchinov, won a cup. Maybe the luck rubs off on Zherdev.
Give him Sarge's work ethic.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 06:33 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Give him Sarge's work ethic.
Well, that's not bloody likely. Personally, I think they should ask Sarge to come over for a week or so and help NZ with his language, attitude, etc.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 07:08 PM
CBJSlash

This is not going to translate to worse play, but what it will translate to is lack of support of coaches and teammates because they don't see him putting up the effort.

That's what hurts the most.

He is a great player, but not a great teammate and not a coach's player.

CBJSlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 07:32 PM
Fletch

I'm still upset that Sarge didn't get enough time going against other teams' top lines. He was a very good defensive forward with offensive capabilities and the best shot blocker I've ever seen (by best, I mean most efficient). Sorry for going down memory lane - I was a real fan of Sergei.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 10:25 PM
Vatchern

Well, Like other people have posted, it is hard to get a "work ethic" yet with pre seasons training. I will wait until maybe 15-20 games into the season before saying any negative comments about my team players.

Vatchern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 07:00 AM
Lodewijk

As a long suffering Jackets fan, and BIG fan of Nikki's, I've got to admit that it became increasingly difficult to defend him to fans here.

One game he can look like an all-star, going coast to coast for a game winner. Then the next five games he can barely stay on the ice. I just don't get the kid....

All the talent in the world, yet no drive or determination.

I don't know where he is with his learning English, but he had no interest in learning it here. Which helps to make him difficult to coach and a locker room loner.

I really wish he would get it turned around, but this article sounds all too familiar to Jackets fans.

He also gets even worse when people dog on him for his lack of effort, which, given the brutal nature of NY fans and media, will not bode well for him.

Sorry to say for you guys, and I hope I'm wrong, but he'll dog it all year and head to Russia next year.......sorry.

Lodewijk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 07:08 AM
Vatchern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodewijk View Post
One game he can look like an all-star, going coast to coast for a game winner. Then the next five games he can barely stay on the ice. I just don't get the kid....

All the talent in the world, yet no drive or determination.
Well, this kind of sounds like someone we had in the past that we traded for. someone with no determination and no motivation. Look what Renney did with Jagr. That's all I am going to say.

Vatchern is offline   Reply With Quote