HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Rookie Preview with Louis Jean

Old
09-17-2008, 02:48 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Rookie Preview with Louis Jean

Last night we talked with Louis Jean from Sportsnet and got his take on the situation of several Canadiens prospects, who has the best chance of making the team if anyone.

Also said something I found surprising in regards to the goaltending situation.

I'd be interested in hearing from serious Habs fans if they agree with what he had to say.

Here's where you can find the archive (podcast available too).

09-17-2008, 02:49 PM
big_habs_fan

Thank you very much Guy - much appreciated!!

big_habs_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 03:14 PM
tollb2

good listening

Intresting about the goaltending .. has some very good points

tollb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 03:45 PM
Bullsmith

Fascinating interview, thanks much. Agreed with his assessments by and large. Do think O'Byrne can deliver physically (no Komi, but a solid presence) but needs to focus on it.

edit- I should clarify I agreed with his talent assessments. In terms of who will be where (ie Halak gone early, Chips in Hamilton the whole year) not so much.

Last edited by Bullsmith: 09-17-2008 at 04:53 PM.
Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 04:17 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
He's flat out wrong on the Price/Halak thing IMO. Halak won't be gone in a trade within the first month. That's a complete exageration.

Marc Denis is NOT an NHL caliber goalie right now. He had a terrible season - NHL and AHL last year. It's gonna take weeks just to rebuild his confidence down in Hamilton, if not months.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 04:52 PM
Slick Nick

Pretty interesting! Thanks for posting.

Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 05:15 PM
the vinyl version

Super interesting. Thanks for posting.

Am I the only one getting random audio drop outs though? Made it a little hard to listen to, but it could just be my super crappy computer.

the vinyl version is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 05:50 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
He's flat out wrong on the Price/Halak thing IMO. Halak won't be gone in a trade within the first month. That's a complete exageration.

Marc Denis is NOT an NHL caliber goalie right now. He had a terrible season - NHL and AHL last year. It's gonna take weeks just to rebuild his confidence down in Hamilton, if not months.
Yea that's my take on it. I was suprised to hear that, I don't know who Louis Jean is, never heard of him but I'd be flat out shocked if Halak was traded within the first month of the season.

When Gainey signed Denis, I instantly thought it was for Hamilton to give us veteran depth for a 3rd goalie plus he can work with Dejardins. If Halak gets traded, which I could see happening at some point in the future, but unless another goalie is coming back, I shudder to think of what would happen in Hamilton with Desjardins and Lacasse as the goalies and if we then had an injury to Price we would be in big trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsmith View Post
Fascinating interview, thanks much. Agreed with his assessments by and large. Do think O'Byrne can deliver physically (no Komi, but a solid presence) but needs to focus on it.

edit- I should clarify I agreed with his talent assessments. In terms of who will be where (ie Halak gone early, Chips in Hamilton the whole year) not so much.
O'Byrne has made a name for himself as a physical defensemen. In the BCHL, ECAC, and AHL he was a hitting machine, although as he's progressed he's gotten less physical but in a good way as he's picking his spots better. I didn't see him in the BCHL but I was told he was running around a lot trying to hit everyone, he was like that during his freshman year at Cornell, but they have a very good coach imo, and they worked with him to get him to cut back on the physical play, pick his spots better and try and stay out of the box (he had around 210 career pims in 90 some NCAA games) as he was too important to the team, they needed him on the ice and not in the box although he never really cut back on the pims, he was at least picking his spots better, as evidenced of his 129 pims in his rookie year with the Dogs.

In the NHL he hasn't been overly physical but I expect that will come with experience and confidence. He's had some big hits in the NHL already and I expect more of that, I really don't think anyone needs to tell him he's a big guy, from what Louis Jean was saying, imo if he gets more comfortable out there, he'll have more hits as it's something he seems to really enjoy doing or at least that's been the case at every level until the NHL.

Imo in 2 or so years I think people are going to have a much better opinion of O'Byrne, I hope to see him turn into a very solid NHLer, someone that crushes people with huge hits but also is smart and hard working in his own end with the ablity to move the puck and use that cannon of a shot he has. While I expect him to get better this year, I do think it will take time for him to round out his game.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 06:00 PM
Maxpac

the part that really sucked for me was when they talked about Chipchura, imo he has to play with the Habs, i can definately see him one day becoming top 2-way center in the NHL as i still think that he has untaped offensive potential, not to mention imo he's the best defensive player on the team when it comes to positioning, one of rare players in the system that has ''talent'' in the defensive side of the game. He's much better then Lappierre and Kostopoulos who run like chickens with there heads cut off all the time that's for sure. Salary cap reasons aside the 4th line should be Laraque-Chipchura-Lappierre

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 06:23 PM
Bullsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
O'Byrne has made a name for himself as a physical defensemen. In the BCHL, ECAC, and AHL he was a hitting machine...

Imo in 2 or so years I think people are going to have a much better opinion of O'Byrne.
Exactly. This is the first year O'Byrne could even earn a slot as a full regular, and there's no guarantee. It'll take a couple of years at least to find out what his ceiling is. Already I think he's shown he will play in the league. And he has the size the skating and, I think, the inclination the be a physical force.

What do you think of McDonagh's coach, btw? Fisher's?

Old
09-17-2008, 06:52 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsmith View Post
Exactly. This is the first year O'Byrne could even earn a slot as a full regular, and there's no guarantee. It'll take a couple of years at least to find out what his ceiling is. Already I think he's shown he will play in the league. And he has the size the skating and, I think, the inclination the be a physical force.

What do you think of McDonagh's coach, btw? Fisher's?
Both McDonagh's and Fischer's coachs are more high profile coaches in the NCAA, so they are more well known and also are at bigger programs, as Minnesota is at the top of the NCAA in terms of programs imo and Wisconsin is up there as well, although Cornell has a great program as well, the ECAC gets a lack of respect and it's even moreso for the Ivy league teams imo.

I like Eaves at Wisconsin though, Lucia at Minnesota it's tougher for me to say as that team seems to get the top incoming freshman every year, what a list of players that have been on those teams over the years.

For the other NCAA guys, Conboy's coach at Michigan St Rick Comley recently won a national championship and is well known and respected in college hockey. Paquet's coach George Roll at Clarkson has done one heck of a job turning around that program, they have been at the top of the ECAC the last few years so he's doing a great job. Stejskal's coach Bob Gaudet is well known in the ECAC for what he did at Brown and Dartmouth but the Big Green stunk last year and it doesn't look good for them this upcoming season. I don't know Quailer's coach Greg Cronin at Northeastern and I've heard different opinions on him but NU is coming off one of their better years in the HE conference and I've heard he's really turning the program around. Kishel's coach Scott Sandelin also has a good rep in the WCHA but his UMD Bulldogs have struggled of late. Of course Pateryn's coach is considered to be one of the very best of all time NCAA hockey. Red Berenson and Michigan it doesn't get much better for a prospect, great coach and program.

Last edited by montreal: 09-17-2008 at 07:06 PM.
Old
09-17-2008, 07:33 PM
ed ible*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
the part that really sucked for me was when they talked about Chipchura, imo he has to play with the Habs, i can definately see him one day becoming top 2-way center in the NHL as i still think that he has untaped offensive potential, not to mention imo he's the best defensive player on the team when it comes to positioning, one of rare players in the system that has ''talent'' in the defensive side of the game. He's much better then Lappierre and Kostopoulos who run like chickens with there heads cut off all the time that's for sure. Salary cap reasons aside the 4th line should be Laraque-Chipchura-Lappierre
Excellent opinion and I agree totally..........Chipper will be a hab full time this year for sure.

ed ible* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 08:44 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed ible View Post
Excellent opinion and I agree totally..........Chipper will be a hab full time this year for sure.
I don't know if he will or won't, but I don't think it's a big deal if he spends some time in the AHL this year. Pleks, Lappy, seemed to benefit from all the time they spent in the AHL so I don't think it's a bad thing, plus he's getting a nice paycheck so that goes against him. I expect him to see games with the Habs this year but if he's not a regular, I would expect him to be one the following season.

Guess we'll see how he does at camp, see if he's improved on his skating/foot speed.

Old
09-17-2008, 08:55 PM
Toro

Thx for the link, its nice to hear people talk about the habs.

but....O'byrne does not need anyone to tell him to hit. It is completely natural for him and is actually what he is trying to curb somewhat. He is trying to pick his spots so as to not get thrown out of position all the time looking for the big hit.

Halak is going no where. Denis is signed to help our young goalies in hamiton (desjardins)spelling? denis will not be in Montreal unless for injury callup and only if he is outplaying his partner in Hamilton. Halak is an important option for carbo. Plus Price needs to be pushed by a quality goaltender not a guy like Denis.

Chipper will be a regular by the end of the season. And Lats will start the season on the 2nd line with Koivu and tanguay.

This guy is less informed than my sister. cause i talk to my sister

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 09:32 PM
Magic33

he should have mentioned how slow and out of shape lats is

(Finally got a 15)

Magic33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2008, 08:01 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Somewhere, somehow, some people will get it right that Kristo is NOT going to play for North Dakota THIS YEAR.....

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2008, 08:18 AM
GNick42

Don't we have to expose Chips to waivers at some point? If we keep sending him down

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2008, 10:48 AM
Bullsmith

Pretty sure Chips can go up and down at will this year. Next year he'd have to clear. Lapierre now has to clear to go down, unlike last season.

Old
09-18-2008, 09:20 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Quote:
I don't know who Louis Jean is, never heard of him but I'd be flat out shocked if Halak was traded within the first month of the season.

He's the reporter for Sportsnet in Montreal and covers the Habs a lot, that's why we had him on. I was surprised too by the Halak comments but that's why i threw it to you guys... you would know better than I would.

Guy Flaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2008, 09:35 PM
znk

Quote:
Yea that's my take on it. I was suprised to hear that, I don't know who Louis Jean is, never heard of him but I'd be flat out shocked if Halak was traded within the first month of the season.
Loui Jean is usualy verry good. He's the guy that follows the Habs for Sportsnet. Some rare times they talk to him on CKAC and The team 990.

Go there http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/ and visit the video section. Check out this new video "NHL: Former Nords fan happy to be a Hab" You'll see Louis Jean interviewing Tanguay.

I'm surprised about the Halak comments. He's my safty line right now...I wouldnt want to see him go.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2008, 10:03 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post

Agreed, I can see Halak being traded at the deadline for a good UFA skilled d-man to possibly put them in cup contention. After 1 month there is no way the Habs should have a pressing need and call up Denis that quick.

I think with Rollie's guidance, Denis can get on a roll and put a bit of pressure on Carey and Jaro, maybe incite a team needing goaltending to make an offer...but it would have to be worth it, having an established NHL guy as #3 is a nice luxury to have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
I hope Dandenault is moved, I sure as heck don't want to see him dressed and Chichura in the AHL or press box. One of Begin or Kostopoulos is also expendable with D'agostini and Stewart knocking at the door. The line you are proposing is a nice mix of energy, toughness and smarts.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 09-19-2008 at 06:39 PM.
Monctonscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2008, 11:37 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Agreed, I can see Halak being traded at the deadline for a good UFA skilled d-man to possibly put them in cup contention. After 1 month there is no way the Habs should have a pressing need and call up Denis that quick.

I think with Rollie's guidance, Denis can get on a roll and put a bit of pressure on Carey and Jaro, maybe incite a team needing goaltending to make an offer...but it would have to be worth it, having an established NHL guy as #3 is a nice luxury to have.
I'm gonna have to argue with that word "established". After struggling for 6 of 7 NHL seasons, he was sent down to the AHL, and will likely be there for at least another year. Sure, he has a lot of NHL games under his belt and is a former #1 pick, but there are roughly 60 goaltenders out there (many similar in price) that I would rather have as the Habs' back up (including rookies/prospects I would be more inclined to give a chance to). I reckon Denis won't even smell the NHL until he leads the AHL in goalie stats, or is playing like an all-star up to, and after Christmas or the all star break. Unless there are injuries, of course (god forbid).

And Halak isn't going to be going anywhere until he complains to Carbs/Gainey about ice time/starts or until he gets an offer sheet we're not willing to match in the 2010-11 RFA period. Seriously, despite the strength at the goalie position, it's the only position we don't have a lot of depth at.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 01:02 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Flaming View Post
He's the reporter for Sportsnet in Montreal and covers the Habs a lot, that's why we had him on. I was surprised too by the Halak comments but that's why i threw it to you guys... you would know better than I would.
Thanks, I don't pay much attention to sportsnet so I've never heard of him before.

Old
09-19-2008, 06:40 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
I'm gonna have to argue with that word "established". After struggling for 6 of 7 NHL seasons, he was sent down to the AHL, and will likely be there for at least another year. Sure, he has a lot of NHL games under his belt and is a former #1 pick, but there are roughly 60 goaltenders out there (many similar in price) that I would rather have as the Habs' back up (including rookies/prospects I would be more inclined to give a chance to). I reckon Denis won't even smell the NHL until he leads the AHL in goalie stats, or is playing like an all-star up to, and after Christmas or the all star break. Unless there are injuries, of course (god forbid).

And Halak isn't going to be going anywhere until he complains to Carbs/Gainey about ice time/starts or until he gets an offer sheet we're not willing to match in the 2010-11 RFA period. Seriously, despite the strength at the goalie position, it's the only position we don't have a lot of depth at.
I wouldn't say hes struggled for 6 of 7 NHL seasons.... I thought he was decent, but not great till he got to Tampa.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 01:45 AM
CH4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
I wouldn't say hes struggled for 6 of 7 NHL seasons.... I thought he was decent, but not great till he got to Tampa.
Agreed here; Marc Denis was a very decent goaltender before that trade; top 25 in the league...

he has upsets... if he find his game back, he can very well be one of the best backup in the league.

but then you have no 3rd goalie at all, we don't want another Olivier Michaud story this year...

CH4 is offline   Reply With Quote