Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

OFFICIAL - Training Camp Thread

Old
09-19-2008, 06:25 PM
WickedBruinsGirl
I like the remix

vCash: 500
Regarding Chara, when I went last week, he did skate the entire time and seemed fine. So Hopefully he's out there practicing tomorrow and will be okay.

Great news on the promos to the "big boys". Wheeler was definitely a step above the rest today. Very impressive, at least to me.

Can't wait for the full day tomorrow.

Veterans who didn't skate today were: Savard, Thomas, Sturm, Thornton, Bergeron... now I'm drawing blanks (Wideman!). Ryder and Kessel were out there for a bit before they vanished. But the optional veterans skate didn't seem to last long.

Last edited by WickedBruinsGirl: 09-19-2008 at 06:32 PM.
WickedBruinsGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 06:45 PM
WickedBruinsGirl
I like the remix

Team A skates at 10 tomorrow, Team B at 12:15, Rookies at 2:30.

Quote:
Team A: Andrew Alberts, P.J. Axelsson, Patrice Bergeron, Byron Bitz,
Andrew Bodnarchuk, Zdeno Chara, Andrew Ference, Manny Fernandez, Shane
Hnidy, Phil Kessel, Chuck Kobasew, David Krejci, Brad Marchand, Adam
McQuaid, Kevin Nastiuk, Jeff Penner, Kevin Regan, Jeremy Reich, Maxime
Sauve, Vladimir Sobotka, Ryan Stokes, Marco Sturm, Nate Thompson, Shawn
Thornton.

Team B: Johnny Boychuk, Mike Egener, Zach Hamill, Matt Hunwick, Martins
Karsums, Jordan Knackstedt, Matt Lashoff, Mikko Lehtonen, Milan Lucic,
Matt Marquardt, Petteri Nokelainen, Tuukka Rask, Michael Ryder, Martin
St. Pierre, Marc Savard, Peter Schaefer, Mark Stuart, Tim Thomas, Aaron
Ward, Blake Wheeler, Dennis Wideman, Stephane Yelle.

Rookie Team: Jamie Arniel, Yuri Cheremetiev, Arthur Fritch, Jeff
LoVecchio, Levi Nelson, Wacey Rabbit, Scott Fletcher, Doug Krantz, Denis Reul, Kevin Schaeffer, Michael Hutchinson.
http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/...m_rosters.html

WickedBruinsGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 09:56 PM
TheBigZ

does anyone know where to go in, and any place other than underneath the garden to park?

TheBigZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 10:52 PM
slegr_71
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to slegr_71 Send a message via Yahoo to slegr_71
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigZ View Post
does anyone know where to go in, and any place other than underneath the garden to park?
I haven't read or heard anything for this season, but last season they had fans enter at the west Premium entrance (the side of the building near Dunkins.) Parking is available all around the area, small lots that cater to North End visitors. Most run about $10 for the day, for as long as you want to stay. There's also the Government Center garage, not sure of the rates there.

slegr_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 05:51 AM
sandersonian

Id other board members at games/practice

Taking daughter in Saturday too -- Be nice to find a way to tip off that we are board members. Could be as simple as wearing a bruins pin on the right bicep sleeve, for example. Something like that.

sandersonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 06:02 AM
Alicat
Charge!

ill have my cream shawl on, thank god for something just as warm as a coat that isnt as bulky! come say hi

I am Boston Strong

Alicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 06:30 AM
TwineTickler
TheUltimateBruin

Very upsetting that I'm up this early... they should start practice at 11 . Hoping to get there around 930... might have the old man in tow, not sure. Should be fun.

TwineTickler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 06:48 AM
fighterfoo
We do it big...

Anyone going to practice today?

I'll be going to the morning (10 AM) practice to check it out. I'm gonna try and check out the view from my season seat as well.

fighterfoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 06:57 AM
TheBigZ

So the escalator near DD/MCD? And Ill be their around 10 with my Lucic Jersey...I don't think it will be as easy as last year to spot me!

Old
09-20-2008, 07:04 AM
TheBigZ

I'll be their around 10:00, with my Lucic jersey on even though he is at the Team B practice today

Old
09-20-2008, 07:46 AM
TwineTickler
TheUltimateBruin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigZ View Post
I'll be their around 10:00, with my Lucic jersey on even though he is at the Team B practice today
Not gonna be there for both sessions? I'll be there for both. Definitely looking forward to it.

Old
09-20-2008, 11:23 AM
swharto

I am headed out tomorrow for the full day. Can't wait to see all the players again, this has felt like the longest offseason ever...

swharto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 01:28 PM
sandersonian

Just got back from the 10 a.m. skate...
-- went to 11:40, plenty of drills, no scrimmage.
-- probably about 100-150 fans there at the start.
-- at practices you see stuff like Chara paired with McQuaid for a couple of drills and taking him to the side for a few pointers, you wonder at the behest of coaches or just Chara being the team leader
-- No problems with Chara's shoulder to be seen from my seat
-- Manny Fernandez was first to the ice, waiting on the bench by a good 15 minutes ahead of everyone else...but then he also sat down a couple times on the ice during coaches' gather-rounds and I inexplicably saw him take a knee while in net and the drill was temporarily at the other end of the ice...he also drank more fluids than any other players by far (sorry, we were right next to the benches, hard not to notice).
-- Both Regan (quick hands) and Manny (soft touch) looked sharp.
-- Nice smattering of applause for Berge when he arrived, he seemed ok but nothing awe-inspiring today
-- Pretty sure Ference spent all summer practicing how to send sending choppy bounce passes that miss the tape.

Off-ice practice notes
-- Off-ice, practices are very cool events that no one knows about, let's keep it that way, and this time they had face painting and air hockey for the little ones, etc.
-- If you're going, there's not a bad seat but sit on the home bench side to the right where the players go out -- the coaches do their gather-rounds and white boarding on the first glass adjacent to the home bench (not the side in between benches), that way you can see who's still winded as the coaches chat between drills, a surefire conditioning cue.
-- No food for sale on concourse, but you can bring food up from Dunkies.
-- Bruins inexplicably didn't make announcements of any kind, not even a welcome message on Jumbotron...compare it to Pats practices, they go as far as to narrate all the drills.
-- left-hand// right hand thing - they had papers taped to seats throughout the garden with prices on those seats still available for seasons tickets or 1/2 seasons, but they restricted access to the other sections so you couldn't look at them. I went up to look at what was available around my seat and the security guard kicked me out. Whatever.
-- I think a couple of players did autographs as they were leaving the ice; at least one kid got handed a stick, we saw him on way out.
-- I'd argue that a practice, if you've never been, is better than a pre-season game. You can pick any seat you want, It's Bruins vs. Bruins doing things you never see, and coaches interacting in ways you don't ever see, and it's a pleasure going to the Garden when everyone's so relaxed and parking/traffic not a thing.
-- I would definitely recommend if you've never been and I'll go again.

Cheeers...

Last edited by sandersonian: 09-20-2008 at 02:38 PM.
Old
09-20-2008, 02:41 PM
Nevarc78

Great post. I was there with my kids today and they loved the air hockey and face painting. We too were bothered by security when we went to look at our seats. It's funny though, because the Bruins sales rep told us we could go anywhere we felt but then security shooed us away. Oh well. It is a great time and I will absolutely bring my kids again next year. A suggestion for next year would be to put a microphone on Claude when he is talking to the team during breaks in practice. This way we could have an idea of what the coaches are looking for during drills.

Nevarc78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 02:51 PM
TheBigZ

I went up in the balcony to look at my seats and their was no one up there. The escalators were going down so we just took the stairs up and a door was open. Other than that Chara looked good and Bergy had some nice snipe shots on Regan and Fernandez. Kessel looked like....well kessel same old give up the puck/bad passes. Marchand fought every battle and even scored a nice goal off of a steal he made.

Old
09-20-2008, 03:39 PM
TwineTickler
TheUltimateBruin

Went to both sessions today and thoroughly enjoyed myself, aside from having to listen to my 58 year old father complain like a 11 year old because he was cold (to be fair it was quite chilly, but he was pansying it up pretty hard).

Not gonna give you anything in depth because, frankly, theres so much damn stuff going on it was too chaotic for me, a rookie to hockey practice/training camps, to pick up more than just tidbits from a few different players.

Chara - To add onto sandersonians comments, he looked fine.. however its clear he isn't 100% because every point shot he took was a wrister... did not even come close to attempting a slapper. Hopefully by October 9th he'll be ready to let it go full bore.

Bergy - My god was it good seeing him twirl around. Looked great.

Marquardt - Love this kid. Only guy that consistantly banged his counterpart(s) during drills, and hes got a heavy acurate quick shot... definitely sniped a few corners.

Knackstedt - Looked very good, sniped a few as well...

Sobotka - Kid was really quick today, moving fluidly... I just love him. Will be incredibly disappointed if he doesn't make the team.

Hamill - Underwhelmed me big time.. I know nugs, kirk and colt (and others I'm sure) are quite high on him... but he was pretty sub-par in my estimation today. Looked sloppy, didn't wow me with anything, and didn't stick out from his peers at all.

Bodnarchuck - Great skater, definitely smallish but hes got some fight in him. Could he be a camp surprise? If he gets an opportunity I truly feel he'll be one of the final cuts, battling for that #6 d-spot with Lash and Hunwick...

Lashoff - Ramsey seemed to get on him a few times... but I thought he looked pretty good. Had one sick no look back hand goal on a 1 on 1 drill. So offensively gifted, hopefully he can put it all together. Lord knows we need someone with his skillset on the back end.

Goalies - All looked sharp today... Rask on the first drill team B was out there was giving up a lot of softies, but from then on out no one scored on him pretty much, he was moving side to side very well, getting in front of everything. Manny looked very good as well.

Ryder - sniped a couple drawing some applause and a lot of faces smiling basically saying "we hope we see some more of that this year, cause we definitely need it"...

Looch - man is huge. Top speed is pretty damn impressive. Still needs to work on acceleration and starting from a stop... but once he gets moving... get out of his way.

Looch-Savard-Ryder - not the line I was hoping for (I'm in the minority that wants Looch with Bergy) but honestly I thought this line had the most chemistry on the 5 on 2 drills.. nifty passes, had a tic-tac-toe goal... looked nice for a first go round.

Sturm-Bergeron-Kessel - nothing too exciting from these guys... I still think its a mistake to fall in love with the "Sturm/Bergeron" idea... but apparently at least on day 1 of camp Julien still likes it. I like the idea of having our most gifted goal scorer (arguably) on Bergy's right side... just not sure it'll work.

Axe-Krejci-Kobasew - Ehh... didn't like the line whatsoever. Didn't show much as a unit.

Schaef-Yelle-Nokie - Not too shabby.. Schaef looked pretty good. With that being said I hope they ship him out.

Now... reading between the lines, this would appear to be (might be a stretch) a potential line-up that at the beggining of camp at least, Julien is considering running out there on a nightly basis. If thats the case... I'm not really loving the lines, and definitely don't love Sobotka being potentially left off. All this is way too premature, but again just trying to maybe get inside Juliens head a little bit and see what he might be thinking.

Overall.. had a lot of fun, look forward to doing it again tomorrow. Hopefully I won't get harrassed by the B's sales ladies trying to sweet talk me with their looks into getting season tickets. I told one (gorgeous) that I'd give her a buzz in 4 years. She said "why dont you call me next weekend?", with a sultry look... was she hitting on me or trying to sell me tickets? I really can't tell you... and that is the definition of a good sales pitch, cause I'm seriously considering giving her a jingle.

Old
09-20-2008, 03:55 PM
neelynugs

[QUOTE=TwineTickler;15507127]

Quote:
Sturm-Bergeron-Kessel - nothing too exciting from these guys... I still think its a mistake to fall in love with the "Sturm/Bergeron" idea... but apparently at least on day 1 of camp Julien still likes it. I like the idea of having our most gifted goal scorer (arguably) on Bergy's right side... just not sure it'll work.

Axe-Krejci-Kobasew - Ehh... didn't like the line whatsoever. Didn't show much as a unit.
i'm on the sturm-bergeron-kobasew bandwagon myself.

Quote:
Overall.. had a lot of fun, look forward to doing it again tomorrow. Hopefully I won't get harrassed by the B's sales ladies trying to sweet talk me with their looks into getting season tickets. I told one (gorgeous) that I'd give her a buzz in 4 years. She said "why dont you call me next weekend?", with a sultry look... was she hitting on me or trying to sell me tickets? I really can't tell you... and that is the definition of a good sales pitch, cause I'm seriously considering giving her a jingle

sounds like she's good at her job.

thanks for the report TT - was looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

neelynugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 03:57 PM
Bruinster*

Send a message via ICQ to Bruinster*
Any word about How Wheeler look now with the big boys in ?

Bruinster* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 04:02 PM
Beyonder91
Seids the Machine

if only i lived in Boston

shame on any of you with the time who didn't go!

Beyonder91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 04:03 PM
Kovi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwineTickler View Post
Went to both sessions today and thoroughly enjoyed myself, aside from having to listen to my 58 year old father complain like a 11 year old because he was cold (to be fair it was quite chilly, but he was pansying it up pretty hard).

Not gonna give you anything in depth because, frankly, theres so much damn stuff going on it was too chaotic for me, a rookie to hockey practice/training camps, to pick up more than just tidbits from a few different players.

Chara - To add onto sandersonians comments, he looked fine.. however its clear he isn't 100% because every point shot he took was a wrister... did not even come close to attempting a slapper. Hopefully by October 9th he'll be ready to let it go full bore.

Bergy - My god was it good seeing him twirl around. Looked great.

Marquardt - Love this kid. Only guy that consistantly banged his counterpart(s) during drills, and hes got a heavy acurate quick shot... definitely sniped a few corners.

Knackstedt - Looked very good, sniped a few as well...

Sobotka - Kid was really quick today, moving fluidly... I just love him. Will be incredibly disappointed if he doesn't make the team.

Hamill - Underwhelmed me big time.. I know nugs, kirk and colt (and others I'm sure) are quite high on him... but he was pretty sub-par in my estimation today. Looked sloppy, didn't wow me with anything, and didn't stick out from his peers at all.

Bodnarchuck - Great skater, definitely smallish but hes got some fight in him. Could he be a camp surprise? If he gets an opportunity I truly feel he'll be one of the final cuts, battling for that #6 d-spot with Lash and Hunwick...

Lashoff - Ramsey seemed to get on him a few times... but I thought he looked pretty good. Had one sick no look back hand goal on a 1 on 1 drill. So offensively gifted, hopefully he can put it all together. Lord knows we need someone with his skillset on the back end.

Goalies - All looked sharp today... Rask on the first drill team B was out there was giving up a lot of softies, but from then on out no one scored on him pretty much, he was moving side to side very well, getting in front of everything. Manny looked very good as well.

Ryder - sniped a couple drawing some applause and a lot of faces smiling basically saying "we hope we see some more of that this year, cause we definitely need it"...

Looch - man is huge. Top speed is pretty damn impressive. Still needs to work on acceleration and starting from a stop... but once he gets moving... get out of his way.

Looch-Savard-Ryder - not the line I was hoping for (I'm in the minority that wants Looch with Bergy) but honestly I thought this line had the most chemistry on the 5 on 2 drills.. nifty passes, had a tic-tac-toe goal... looked nice for a first go round.

Schaef-Yelle-Nokie - Not too shabby.. Schaef looked pretty good. With that being said I hope they ship him out.

Now... reading between the lines, this would appear to be (might be a stretch) a potential line-up that at the beggining of camp at least, Julien is considering running out there on a nightly basis. If thats the case... I'm not really loving the lines, and definitely don't love Sobotka being potentially left off. All this is way too premature, but again just trying to maybe get inside Juliens head a little bit and see what he might be thinking.

Overall.. had a lot of fun, look forward to doing it again tomorrow. Hopefully I won't get harrassed by the B's sales ladies trying to sweet talk me with their looks into getting season tickets. I told one (gorgeous) that I'd give her a buzz in 4 years. She said "why dont you call me next weekend?", with a sultry look... was she hitting on me or trying to sell me tickets? I really can't tell you... and that is the definition of a good sales pitch, cause I'm seriously considering giving her a jingle.
you did not come say hi? Where were you?
Not everyone there seemed to be in a good mood today...odd.

Good analysis. I will add that Aaron Ward laid out a few hits today--one on Mark Stuart. lol Stewy promptly paid him back at the other end of the ice.

Wheeler looked better at prospect camp, I thought. He towers over the other rookies. He looked a little lost and tired today.

Marquardt really stood out to me. Phenomenal player!!
Sobotka is so well rounded-I will do some crying if he gets cut.
Krejci is going to have a great year--my prediction! Although he still flinches when he goes into the corner: bothersome...

I agree on Hammil also--he looked tired and lost and all discombubilated.

One last thing--Lucic was smiling and excited from the moment they got on the ice. He skates so hard and he and Ward had a fun collision! Lots of laughing after wards.

I took some decent pics, I'll see if I can upload them.

Kovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 04:13 PM
TwineTickler
TheUltimateBruin

[QUOTE=neelynugs;15507238]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwineTickler View Post

i'm on the sturm-bergeron-kobasew bandwagon myself.

sounds like she's good at her job.

thanks for the report TT - was looking forward to hearing your thoughts.
I'm more on board with Sturm-Bergeron-Kobasew than Sturm-Bergeron-Kessel... but as I mentioned I really like the idea of Lucic alongside Bergeron. Not only to be kind of a body guard, but I just think that would help bring the physicality of Bergeron back out... and that Looch would be able to get lots of garbage goals (he'll probably get them with anyone but still)... also I like the speed element that Sturm could add to Savvys line.. I can see a lot of long on tape passes from Savvy sending Sturmy in on break-aways (that he hopefully cashes)... and also it gives that line a more reliable defensive forward. Savard, while improved, is still not a great defensive center, Ryder is really not defensively oriented, and while I think Looch is pretty good, I'd prefer to throw sturm up there.

Ha yea, she probably does okay at her job. It was honestly kind of awkward, watched one girl go up and sit next to this older gentlemen (40s) who was sitting by himself and strike up a conversation, clearly flirting with him. After about 15 minutes she got up to go get something, came back with a pamphlet, he looked it over, and they walked away together... I nudged my dad and said "where do you think they're going?"... haha it was like I was at a brothel or something. Pretty funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinster View Post
Any word about How Wheeler look now with the big boys in ?
He looked big... had one top shelf goal I noticed, but otherwise didn't really stand out much to me, and he was one of the guys I tried to pay attention to when his group was up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovi View Post
you did not come say hi? Where were you?
Not everyone there seemed to be in a good mood today...odd.

Good analysis. I will add that Aaron Ward laid out a few hits today--one on Mark Stuart. lol Stewy promptly paid him back at the other end of the ice.

Wheeler looked better at prospect camp, I thought. He towers over the other rookies. He looked a little lost and tired today. I would think that's normal..

Marquardt really stood out to me.
Sobotka is so well rounded-I will do some crying if he gets cut.
Krejci is going to have a great year--my prediction! Although he still flinches when he goes into the corner: bothersome...

I took some decent pics, I'll see if I can upload them.
Ha, I didn't see you. Sorry. We got there a little after 10 and the sections they allowed us to sit (pretty lame we couldnt sit in "premium seating" or wander wherever we wanted.... until the 2nd session that is) were pretty fully so we ended up sitting in the second to last row of section 20.. I didn't really wanna sit in the cramped mid-section.

Haha yea.. loved the Ward-Stuart and Ward-Lucic battles. Good stuff.

Old
09-20-2008, 04:36 PM
swharto

Great report. I will be there for most of the day tomorrow and can't wait. Quick question, why do you think the seating is restricted?

swharto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 04:44 PM
TwineTickler
TheUltimateBruin

Quote:
Originally Posted by swharto View Post
Great report. I will be there for most of the day tomorrow and can't wait. Quick question, why do you think the seating is restricted?
I think for a few reasons... they want it to be easy for the sales people to attempt to sell tickets... probably not fun for them to venture all over the entire garden to people who would be all spread out. Also, just so they can get a decent gauge at how many people are there maybe? However, I really don't know.

The first session there were tons of security guards or whatever you wanna call them, that would come over to you if you strayed too far.. for example the old man and I first went and sat in the premium seating because the seats are orgasmically more comfortable, which was in a section that we were allowed to sit, and a guy came over and said "we aren't letting people sit in the premium section"... I looked at him and said extraordinarily sarcastically "oh of course, makes perfect sense"... which drew a pretty big chuckle for some fans that heard it. However the second session there was like none, and people started to venture a little bit...

One note I wanted to share about the premium seating... during one of my conversations with a bruins sales person they informed me that the premium seats I love are only 50 bucks a piece when you get them as season tickets. Nearly shat myself. Thats a phenominal deal... As soon as I'm financially stable enough to do it (hopefully 4 years)... I'm all over it.

Old
09-20-2008, 06:59 PM
sandersonian

At least two reasons for restricting access;
1) Didn't want to fully staff the Garden
2) They wanted to show some semblance of a crowd for TV coverage...

Agree -- the cushy premium seats are where it's at; They are a great deal, cushy, nifty cup holders and sight lines, the works. I'm paying $64 a seat; what section were the 50 dollar seats?

I also got approached about tickets, I told the guy that I was already a STH and to his credit we talked for about 15 minutes, I had to break it off, meaning he was in no rush to get to another "prospect" to do a pressure sale. They've got a new $199 "all you can eat" deal for 5 games, one per month, that they are trying out.

Honestly, all they want to do is "get you in the building" to get you addicted and hope you're interested in an upsell for the following season. He said they saw a huge increase in STH sales from folks who did the 18-game packs last year...

Last edited by sandersonian: 09-20-2008 at 07:09 PM.
Old
09-20-2008, 07:04 PM
sandersonian

Did Byron Bitz catch anyone else's attention in the first skate? He was a bit of a presence, winded at the end, but would be interested in what anyone thought about him as a prospect...