HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Timmins on Emelin (Good News)

Old
09-17-2008, 08:26 PM
CGG

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilan30 View Post
I don't think anyone can deny that there is a growing trend of foreigners getting drafted and leaving after a year or two or not coming over at all. Nowhere in my post did I say I don't like foreigners in the NHL, what I was implying was that unless a guy is a can't miss talent, I think when choosing between a North American guy and a foreigner of similar abilities, it is a much safer and smarter move to pick the local guy. And whether you guys like it or not, I think a lot of GMs are starting to feel the same way too.
Great idea - let's revert back to what we were doing under Reggie Houle in 1997, picking the "North American" sure thing (Jason Ward) instead of hte "foreigner who might not come over" (Marion Hossa). How did that work out for us? I forget.

CGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 08:27 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Give him credit for recommending Datsyuk/Zetterberg.
true that.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 08:33 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by gc2005 View Post
Great idea - let's revert back to what we were doing under Reggie Houle in 1997, picking the "North American" sure thing (Jason Ward) instead of hte "foreigner who might not come over" (Marion Hossa). How did that work out for us? I forget.
And the unforgettable Eric Chouinard.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 08:35 PM
montreal
Time to Get Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I really like everything I've seen of Emelin's game. The times I've seen hin in WJC,WC or whatever [admittedly limited] he seems to have a bit of everything you want in a D man. I have a hunch that you'd see him sooner rather than later with the big team. I won't argue the point because frankly, I'm going on limited exposure and wishful thinking, but I still worry that players like him, who can command what, 2-3 years at maybe 1-1.5, against a Russian team that could taregt him as a cornerstone d man.

Tough to compete in that situation.
I liked him a lot everywhere I've seen him from the WJC's (thought he was really impressive, WC's (he was good on the PK) and in the RSL/KHL but the conerns have come from last year where he is said to have regressed in his play I have only seen one full game of him since he's moved to AK Bars and that was last week, so I missed all of last year. Also telling was going from seeing limited duty on the WC team last year, to not even getting invited to the prelim camp for the WC team the following year.

But he's still a quality prospect, I started to lose hope that we would ever see him over here, but things at least seem a little more positive and until he signs a contract in Russia, I'll expect him to be over here next year.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 09:34 PM
nilan30

Quote:
Originally Posted by gc2005 View Post
I dont think many of you are understanding the part about it being a growing trend...I never said its always been like this...geeze read a whole post before you reply people.

nilan30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2008, 10:16 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilan30 View Post
I think it's time to quit draft foreigners that dont really have their heart set on coming to play in the NHL. Especially when there're just as capable home grown boys dying to have a shot to play in the league. I think that has started already mind you..seems like the Habs are getting the message.
It's not just about their hearts it's about money. Why play AHL for 80 k a year when you can make 400-500 k in Russia. A guy like Perezhogin is making nearly 3 mil a year.
The nice thing about Emelin is guys like that have more value in the NHL than in Russia(ie mean physical d-men).

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2008, 08:12 AM
GNick42

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenForum View Post
Didn't see it posted, but there's a long (13 min) interview today on habsinsideout.com with Timmons (http://www.gazblogs.com/habsinsideou...es/timmins.MP3). Says that Emelin has told him he is ready to come over to North America next year after his current 2-year russian deal is over. it's the most optimistic i've heard. the emelin piece begins around minute 7:30 to about 8:30; there's another mention of emelin around minute 11, followed by a less promising take on trunev (less promising in the sense that he's less certain about coming over).

Love listening to timmins discuss our picks. Best line of the interview was when he was asked about what kind of player valentenko is. response: "a big ol' country boy" (ie. tough and strong) with a killer shot.

Man, sometimes it is mind-boggling to keep track of the talent potential we have coming up the pipes, particularly on D:
McDo
Webber
Subban
Valentenko
Emelin
fischer
carle

Anyway, check out timmins
No mention of Korneev, doesn't sound like he is our futrue. After last year's championships thought he may be good replacement for Streit.

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2008, 09:49 AM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

We never have too many d-men. Bouillon should be gone next year. As far as the Dogs are concerned, we never know but 2 or 3 might be gone as well. And I believe you also have to prepare for the post-Hamrlik era. There is a chance he won't be signed after his contract. And it's coming sooner than we think. Then some d-men could be implicated in deals.

As far as Emelin himself is concerned, the only thing that I seemed to have noticed after 2 games this year is the lack of enthusiasm and the jump he used to have before and doesn't seem so this year so far. Wonder if it does have to do with him regretting his signing.....if so...that can't be bad news!

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2008, 10:15 AM
Haddock

I read in the paper today that the last time Timmins spoke to Emelin and his agent was back in april. I can't listen to the interview here at work but does it mention when Timmins last talked to the Emelin clan?

There was also a comment from Timmins about Maxim Trunev. He decided to stay in Russia instead of coming over to play in the OHL. Timmins was disappointed. That and the previous comments made by Trunev makes me wonder about his desire to ever cross the Atlantic instead of staying at home in the KHL. There's plenty of time ahead for him, but it hasn't looked good, yet.

Haddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2008, 10:26 AM
Patty Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
We never have too many d-men. Bouillon should be gone next year. As far as the Dogs are concerned, we never know but 2 or 3 might be gone as well. And I believe you also have to prepare for the post-Hamrlik era. There is a chance he won't be signed after his contract. And it's coming sooner than we think. Then some d-men could be implicated in deals.
Well i figure that both Bouillon and Brisebois are on their final year with the Habs. Bouillon is to expensive for what he provides. So the Habs will be looking to add at least one rookie next season, and maybe a vet for the #7 spot.

So the way i see it, Emelin and Valentenko may be battling for a spot this time next year in our top 6.

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2008, 11:21 AM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haddock View Post
I read in the paper today that the last time Timmins spoke to Emelin and his agent was back in april. I can't listen to the interview here at work but does it mention when Timmins last talked to the Emelin clan?

There was also a comment from Timmins about Maxim Trunev. He decided to stay in Russia instead of coming over to play in the OHL. Timmins was disappointed. That and the previous comments made by Trunev makes me wonder about his desire to ever cross the Atlantic instead of staying at home in the KHL. There's plenty of time ahead for him, but it hasn't looked good, yet.
Last time Timmins talked to Emelin was in April or that's what I understood as well. As far as Trunev is concerned, it seems more a question of the kid wanting to crack a KHL lineup and being able to play in the U-20. I do read that there is an interest from the kid to play in NA though. Right now, while I'm frustrated to not see him in the Q, we have to take it as a win-win situation since he's staying in Russia. He doesn't play, he'll be frustrated and come after his contract expired. He plays, he becomes a better player but still can come if he wants to. But I'm trying to convince myself of this 'cause I would have wanted to see him so much in the Q.....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 05:03 AM
Alessandro Seren Rosso
Hockey's Future Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Alessandro Seren Rosso Send a message via MSN to Alessandro Seren Rosso
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
I liked him a lot everywhere I've seen him from the WJC's (thought he was really impressive, WC's (he was good on the PK) and in the RSL/KHL but the conerns have come from last year where he is said to have regressed in his play I have only seen one full game of him since he's moved to AK Bars and that was last week, so I missed all of last year. Also telling was going from seeing limited duty on the WC team last year, to not even getting invited to the prelim camp for the WC team the following year.

But he's still a quality prospect, I started to lose hope that we would ever see him over here, but things at least seem a little more positive and until he signs a contract in Russia, I'll expect him to be over here next year.
I think he will come.
By the way, last year he played not up to the expectations and he even lost the place on the National Team, but let's remember that he's still young and youngsters are keen to have some up and down moments. Right now Emelin is team's #3 defenseman. Yes, he plays in third line but it means little as you see that the less iced defender Dmitri Kosmachev plays like 17 minutes per game (Medvedev doesn't count, he played only 2 matches).
When Medvedev will return fully to the lineup i'd expect Emelin to drop a bit in ice time, but he's doing very well. In six matches he's got one assist, is +2 and got only four penalty minutes. He's having a very good start of the season

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Last time Timmins talked to Emelin was in April or that's what I understood as well. As far as Trunev is concerned, it seems more a question of the kid wanting to crack a KHL lineup and being able to play in the U-20. I do read that there is an interest from the kid to play in NA though. Right now, while I'm frustrated to not see him in the Q, we have to take it as a win-win situation since he's staying in Russia. He doesn't play, he'll be frustrated and come after his contract expired. He plays, he becomes a better player but still can come if he wants to. But I'm trying to convince myself of this 'cause I would have wanted to see him so much in the Q.....
I think Trunev wants to play in America and I also think that he made a wrong move in deciding remaining in Russia. He isn't almost playing, while in the CHL he could have more chances.
But i understand and appreciate his decision, after all the KHL is a way better league than CHL (no offense) and playing there theoretically is a good thing for a youngster, plus it's being willing to fight for a place in a big team - grabbing a CHL spot would have been much easier - is a sign of good attitude.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 09-19-2008 at 07:07 PM.
Alessandro Seren Rosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 09:27 AM
Squeaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessandro Seren Rosso View Post
I think Trunev wants to play in America and I also think that he made a wrong move in deciding remaining in Russia. He isn't almost playing, while in the CHL he could have more chances.
But i understand and appreciate his decision, after all the KHL is a way better league than CHL (no offense) and playing there theoretically is a good thing for a youngster, plus it's being willing to fight for a place in a big team - grabbing a CHL spot would have been much easier - is a sign of good attitude.
It's still early in the season. Is there a chance that Trunev could earn himself some more icetime as the season progresses, or are the players ahead of him locked into their spots?

If he ends up playing 12-15 minutes a game by the end of the season, spending a year in the KHL could end up being great for his development. If he's stuck at 5 minutes a game all year, it will look more like a wasted year of development.

Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 09:33 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Future is Now

Awards:
I posted this in the prospects thread but you can watch Emelin's Ak Bars vs. Metallurg Mg. live here:

http://video.sportbox.ru/VidySporta/...itogorskakbars

Second intermission now

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 09:42 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

What exactly is the difference from the RSL to the KHL, all it sounds like is just a name change, because it looks like all the same teams.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 09:48 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Future is Now

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
What exactly is the difference from the RSL to the KHL, all it sounds like is just a name change, because it looks like all the same teams.
KHL includes all 20 RSL teams plus three non-Russia teams from Belarus, Latvia and Kazakhstan (along with one more Russian team that wasn't in the RSL). The idea is to expand all over Europe, hence the change from a Russian league to a Kontinental one.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 12:59 PM
montreal
Time to Get Down

Quote:
I think he will come.
By the way, last year he played not up to the expectations and he even lost the place on the National Team, but let's remember that he's still young and youngsters are keen to have some up and down moments. Right now Emelin is team's #3 defenseman. Yes, he plays in third line but it means little as you see that the less iced defender Dmitri Kosmachev plays like 17 minutes per game (Medvedev doesn't count, he played only 2 matches).
When Medvedev will return fully to the lineup i'd expect Emelin to drop a bit in ice time, but he's doing very well. In six matches he's got one assist, is +2 and got only four penalty minutes. He's having a very good start of the season
I watched one game so far this year of Emelin, and he didn't get that much ice time, he was a regular on the PK in what seemed to be the top PK unit and he saw a little time on the PP but when I look up his ice time on the KHL.ru he's got the least amount of average ice time then everyone but Panin. So that implies to me he's on the 3rd pairing.

I know last year he had his troubles after coming over from Lada, that doesn't concern me as much, as I'm aware young players will have their ups and downs, although not even getting invited to the prelim camp for the WC's was disappointing, what really concerned me was him signing with AK Bars for 2 years after all the mess with Lada where he didn't get paid and was going to take them to court, there was talk over here that he would be signed, so when he signed in Russia, I started to think maybe we would never see him.

Timmins seems to think we stand a good chance of him coming over next year, so if that's the case then great, I can't wait to see him over here plus Valentenko will be able to help him out if his English isn't good as they were both at the prelim camp for the WC's 2 years ago.

Old
09-19-2008, 01:06 PM
Lord Horse
Next Day's News

Quote:
Excellent point.

Trunev is a very young fellow and he'll have to play against older people, against experience and a high level of talent. I doubt a year in the KHL will set his development back at all. With players his age, a continent away from the NHL, I am not in the least surprised to see them play closer to home.

It's not every kid on Earth who can up and leave their home and go settle halfway around the world to ride the bus in the CHL. If he really is a special talent, and really does have a desire to compete against the best, he'll come over. I don't think there's any harm in letting him find his feet as a professional player in the KHL.

Lord Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 06:46 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
You're probably right. Just like it's "Korneyev"
Just like we thought it was Kastitsyn before Andrei got to NA.

The Russian Alphabet is kinda funny in that it does not line up directly with our English alphabet. There are many ways to spell a last name. Until Alexei tells us if its Yemelin or Emelin we can only guess.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 06:54 PM
Astroboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades 0f Steel View Post
I thought his name was Yemelin.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love for him to come over next year but...we're going to have a lot of young D that need a chance at the same time.

Valentenko, Carle, & Emelin are going to be knocking at the door at the same time. Guess there is too much of a good thing sometimes.
As much as I like Komi, with all this youth does anyone think he is expendable IF he is asking for too much money in the off season?

Astroboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 06:58 PM
All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroboy View Post
As much as I like Komi, with all this youth does anyone think he is expendable IF he is asking for too much money in the off season?
No!

All-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2008, 07:05 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroboy View Post
Absolutely not! Komi is entering his prime. These other guys haven't even made it to the NHL.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 06:17 PM
Alessandro Seren Rosso
Hockey's Future Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Alessandro Seren Rosso Send a message via MSN to Alessandro Seren Rosso
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
I watched one game so far this year of Emelin, and he didn't get that much ice time, he was a regular on the PK in what seemed to be the top PK unit and he saw a little time on the PP but when I look up his ice time on the KHL.ru he's got the least amount of average ice time then everyone but Panin. So that implies to me he's on the 3rd pairing.
The number of the minutes might be not too excting, but you should also see when he gets them. I seen most of Ak Bars Kazan games this year. Nikulin - Pervyshin is the top line unit in the even strength and on the powerplay. Buravchikov - Kosmachev (Medvedev) is kind of their copy. Emelin - Panin is the #1 shutdown pair, they are iced when there is the need to be on ice. Just see Barys - Ak Bars: Morozov scored at 30 seconds to the horn, Bilyaletdinov immediately iced the Emelin pair for the last seconds of the game, successfully handled, of course

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Read this two esternal articles that I wrote for www.eurohockey.net
http://www.eurohockey.net/news/story...shapesetsrules
http://www.eurohockey.net/news/story..._up_the_engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky View Post
It's still early in the season. Is there a chance that Trunev could earn himself some more icetime as the season progresses, or are the players ahead of him locked into their spots?

If he ends up playing 12-15 minutes a game by the end of the season, spending a year in the KHL could end up being great for his development. If he's stuck at 5 minutes a game all year, it will look more like a wasted year of development.
At this point it's really unlikely that it will happen, but things can change.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 09-20-2008 at 06:47 PM.
Alessandro Seren Rosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 08:02 PM
montreal
Time to Get Down

Quote:
The number of the minutes might be not too excting, but you should also see when he gets them. I seen most of Ak Bars Kazan games this year. Nikulin - Pervyshin is the top line unit in the even strength and on the powerplay. Buravchikov - Kosmachev (Medvedev) is kind of their copy. Emelin - Panin is the #1 shutdown pair, they are iced when there is the need to be on ice. Just see Barys - Ak Bars: Morozov scored at 30 seconds to the horn, Bilyaletdinov immediately iced the Emelin pair for the last seconds of the game, successfully handled, of course .
That's good to hear. I plan on catching more AK Bars games but it's always good to hear from others that see a lot of him. It makes sense that Emelin would be on the ice in a shutdown role as he seems to be good on the PK from what I've seen from some WC and RSL/KHL games. One thing I've liked about Emelin is that he looks to be a solid defensemen in his own end that plays a very aggressive style of hockey but also has some offensive skills, not that I would expect him to ever be known for his offensive game, but that he can do somethings with the puck. Will be exciting if he comes over next summer.

Old
09-20-2008, 08:42 PM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
And the unforgettable Eric Chouinard.
It's my feeling that if Chouinard would come in the org today, he'd develop into an NHLer, at least.

Better training.

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote