HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

** Pre-Season #1 - Sat 9/20/08; 7PM, MSG - NY Rangers @ Ottawa Senators **

Closed Thread

Old
09-21-2008, 08:57 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
I'll believe it when i see it.

People VASTLY overrate Callahan around here.
He's a 3rd line RW. He has the chance to be a good 3rd line RW. I don't think him putting up 15 goals a season is out of the question, considering he's scored 12 goals in 66 games for his career. However, to expect him to be more than that is foolhardy. OTOH, I'd rather have him in the lineup on a nightly basis than Prucha.

Old
09-21-2008, 09:01 AM
Garv23

Ah, it was nice to watch a game finally. Even if it was marred by penalties.

Dubi was awesome. I can't wait to watch this guy this year.

Del Zotto looked like a pro back there.

And how 'bout the improvement in Colton Orr's skating? WTG Colton!

Old
09-21-2008, 09:01 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Watched most of the game and overall, I think they played very well considering for the most part there was more AHL'ers than NHL'ers on the roster.

Held Ottawa in check for the most part and aside from Rozy's colassal blunder that led tot he shortie, we played them even.

Can't wait to see the full squad in action.

Old
09-21-2008, 09:08 AM
HenriksBetter

The Rangers played very well last night. If you take Rozy's giveaway and the softy that Vali out of the equation they win that game. Even with those hiccups they outplayed a pretty much NHL roster Sens team. Dubi was the best player on the ice. Voros played very well IMO. He was at the top of the crease almost every shift. The D played good, especially Staal and Del Zotto. Let's see what the other half can do tomorrow night at the Garden.

Old
09-21-2008, 09:11 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Train View Post
Was Dubinsky NHL ready based on 6 scoreless games at the end of 06-07? I'd like to see Korpedo given the chance to prove whether he's ready or not. Don't see the necessity of a 3rd full season in Hartford.
Many observers of Hartford thought Korpikoski had turned the corner over the 2nd half of the season. 20+ goals, and 50+ points meant he hit certain markers many believed he needed to hit to prove he could handle the step up in play. His play in game 5 against the Pens was merely more proof. And, it wasn't so much that he scored the goal; rather it was his overall play, how aggressive he was on the puck, how he knew his role, and how good his skating was. I think he's ready to take the next step.

Old
09-21-2008, 09:12 AM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

Rangers have some good young players, Dubi, Staal and the kid Del Zotto looked good, but if they don't get more physical, they may have some problems during the season. They got pounded last night and really didn't answer back.

Old
09-21-2008, 09:14 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Couldn't see this game up here, but good analysis in this thread. Thanks!

On Prucha, I'm seeing 12:00 TOI, yet 1/2 the posts in this thread have a Prucha commentary in them, both postive and negative. Hard to gauge if it was "same old Prucha" or "pushing hard to up his game" without seeing it.

Old
09-21-2008, 09:18 AM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
I'll believe it when i see it.

People VASTLY overrate Callahan around here.
Same can be said for Korpedo.

He is not to far behind Cally in being overrated, he may have surpassed him IMO.

Old
09-21-2008, 09:25 AM
E-Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Many observers of Hartford thought Korpikoski had turned the corner over the 2nd half of the season. 20+ goals, and 50+ points meant he hit certain markers many believed he needed to hit to prove he could handle the step up in play. His play in game 5 against the Pens was merely more proof. And, it wasn't so much that he scored the goal; rather it was his overall play, how aggressive he was on the puck, how he knew his role, and how good his skating was. I think he's ready to take the next step.
jas, loved your quote on another board,... "As for Prucha, there's no place on this team for him. He's not the offensive player that Dawes is. And, he doesn't bring as much to the table as Callahan. I'd rather see Korpikoski, who's a better fit for what this lineup needs, in the lineup over Prucha."

Couldn't agree more.

Old
09-21-2008, 09:33 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by _AC_ View Post
Prucha, and Rozsival were brutal...Dawes was bleh...

The players that stood out tonight were Byers, Voros, Wiikman(positioning and calmness in net was very nice to see),Del Zotto -- really liked what I saw from the kid, very nice passing abilities, I can see him being a top notch PP QB for us in a year or two. Obviously Dubinsky was superb and proved to us why he should be in the top 6. If any has ever reminded me of Messier, It's this kid.

Greg Moore proved to me again why he belongs in the AHL, and I'm actually shocked as to how people were pegging potter a roster spot on the big club.

Betts may be a great PK'er and good on face-offs, but this latest surge has overwhelmed the guy. We have other players who can do what he does, only score more. It's time to cut ties with Blair, korpedo your'e on deck.
Fahey, Can see him being our number 7 d-men.
Dawes and Prucha played very well.

And Byers was invisible.

Old
09-21-2008, 09:41 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
He's a 3rd line RW. He has the chance to be a good 3rd line RW. I don't think him putting up 15 goals a season is out of the question, considering he's scored 12 goals in 66 games for his career. However, to expect him to be more than that is foolhardy. OTOH, I'd rather have him in the lineup on a nightly basis than Prucha.
You would rather have a guy who will never score more then 10 goals in a season over a guy who has reached 30 and 22.

Again, I'll believe he has this never ending untapped scoring ability when i see it.

I like the kid, he tries hard, but that doesn't make him anything more then a 4th line player.

Old
09-21-2008, 09:50 AM
Celestial Black

Good effort against a team that basically had all their starters in...Pru I though tried well but could finish...enjoyed Del Zotto's play and looked good on the ice...Orr definitely looks better and thought Voros was a good addition. On a side note I liked Wiikmin(sp?), looked good and stead for the most part in net.

Old
09-21-2008, 09:52 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
You would rather have a guy who will never score more then 10 goals in a season over a guy who has reached 30 and 22.

Again, I'll believe he has this never ending untapped scoring ability when i see it.

I like the kid, he tries hard, but that doesn't make him anything more then a 4th line player.
That's because I see each role that they are supposed to fill. Prucha is not a 3rd line player, Callahan fits that role to a tee. My point is that, if we are willing settle with Prucha as being a top six player, the success of this team is greatly reduced. I want a better player than Prucha in my tradition top six. I'm also not convinced we are going to see the Prucha over two years ago anymore. As for Callahan, he's scored 12 goals in 66 career games...that's not even a full season. I'm not sure you can say he'll never score more than 10 goals in a full season.

Old
09-21-2008, 09:58 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
That's because I see each role that they are supposed to fill. Prucha is not a 3rd line player, Callahan fits that role to a tee. My point is that, if we are willing settle with Prucha as being a top six player, the success of this team is greatly reduced. I want a better player than Prucha in my tradition top six. I'm also not convinced we are going to see the Prucha over two years ago anymore. As for Callahan, he's scored 12 goals in 66 career games...that's not even a full season. I'm not sure you can say he'll never score more than 10 goals in a full season.
Prucha scored 30 in 68 in his rookie season.

22 in 79 in his second year.

He is almost exactly .5 PPG at the NHL level.

209 games, 104 points

Prucha has so much more scoring ability then Callahan it is not even close.

Old
09-21-2008, 10:06 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:

209 games, 104 points

I'm not comparing their scoring ability. I'm comparing which role each player should fill. Callahan is a 3rd liner, who I think can score 15 goals a season. I'm not asking him to provide more than that. I want him to be abrasive on the forecheck and kill penalties.

Prucha, OTOH, has to provide scoring, or else he provides nothing. And, Ranger brass is misleading people if they believe Shanahan was the reason that Prucha tailed off. The reason Prucha didn't come back into the lineup was because Dawes played well in that role.

And, the Rangers have two players who fit the way Renney wants to play, better than Prucha does - Fritsche and Korpikoski...both are bigger and faster, and stronger on the puck.

Old
09-21-2008, 10:14 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:

209 games, 104 points

It's funny how you didn't mention 2 things:

1) Prucha's miserable 2008 season

2) 1 meaningless goal in 20 playoff games

Prucha has one more chance on my book. 25 games into the season, if he doesn't have at least 7-9 goals, he should be moved and give somebody else a shot.

Prucha on these boards is an excuse magnet. He doesn't get enough ice time. He needs to be on the PP. He needs a top center. He needs to be healthy. Renney is misusing him. He's just in a cold streak. Blah blah blah.

At least Callahan makes the most of his limited ice time and can kill penalties when he isn't scoring. Prucha is way too high maintenance and as much as I want to see him score 25-30, I just don't think he can do it as a Ramnger anymore.

Old
09-21-2008, 10:18 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
I'm not comparing their scoring ability. I'm comparing which role each player should fill. Callahan is a 3rd liner, who I think can score 15 goals a season. I'm not asking him to provide more than that. I want him to be abrasive on the forecheck and kill penalties.

Prucha, OTOH, has to provide scoring, or else he provides nothing. And, Ranger brass is misleading people if they believe Shanahan was the reason that Prucha tailed off. The reason Prucha didn't come back into the lineup was because Dawes played well in that role.

And, the Rangers have two players who fit the way Renney wants to play, better than Prucha does - Fritsche and Korpikoski...both are bigger and faster, and stronger on the puck.
If Dubinsky is relegated to third line duty, Prucha absolutely should be in the top 6.

He probably should be there anyway. All he needs is to be on a line with offensive minded players.

I like what Callahan brings. But he is not an offensive player at this level. He forechecks hard, and he can kill penalties. That is what 4th line players do.

3rd line players are supposed to provide offense. If not, your team is a 2 line team, and thus not going anywhere.

Scoring in THIS league needs to be three lines deep AT LEAST. With a 4th line that can contribute something.

People are saying he is capable of scoring all these goals, and then where are they? Where were they last night? He shoots often. He simply does not have the ability to score at this level on a consistent basis.

Am i saying he shouldn't be in the NHL? No. But he should not be considered an offensive player, and not be placed in such a role. Leave that to guys who have pure offensive skills.

Old
09-21-2008, 10:40 AM
ThirdEye

Quote:
If Dubinsky is relegated to third line duty, Prucha absolutely should be in the top 6.

He probably should be there anyway. All he needs is to be on a line with offensive minded players.

I like what Callahan brings. But he is not an offensive player at this level. He forechecks hard, and he can kill penalties. That is what 4th line players do.

3rd line players are supposed to provide offense. If not, your team is a 2 line team, and thus not going anywhere.

Scoring in THIS league needs to be three lines deep AT LEAST. With a 4th line that can contribute something.

People are saying he is capable of scoring all these goals, and then where are they? Where were they last night? He shoots often. He simply does not have the ability to score at this level on a consistent basis.

Am i saying he shouldn't be in the NHL? No. But he should not be considered an offensive player, and not be placed in such a role. Leave that to guys who have pure offensive skills.
For gods sake, he's played 66 games in the NHL so far! He has already found his niche, now he just needs to refine his game a bit and make the most of his opportunities. Someone like Callahan is a necessity on this team, period

Old
09-21-2008, 11:01 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
For gods sake, he's played 66 games in the NHL so far! He has already found his niche, now he just needs to refine his game a bit and make the most of his opportunities. Someone like Callahan is a necessity on this team, period
He's not an offensive player.

I will eat a huge plate of crow if he turns into one. Gladly. I want him to score 15+

Old
09-21-2008, 11:30 AM
JR#9*

what I took away from the game the most was just how much more comfortable and confident Staal looked out there...

he was handling the puck extremely well and was down deep on numerous occasions.

I think his entire game will go to the next level this season but particularly his offensive game, especially lugging the puck through center ice.

and while Voros played well on Dubi's wing I'm interested in seeing Fritche in that spot with Cally on the other wing..talk about a fast, in your face line that could also pop in a bunch of goals.

Old
09-21-2008, 11:32 AM
DonCherrysSuit
Powerplay Pass Party

Getting a chance to watch the game again in 60, I'm still really impressed with Orr. Caught a play I didn't see last night about 8 minutes into the second period where he had a nice pass interception, and then shortly thereafter he chased a puck behind the net with such ferocity that he caused Gerber to panic and misplay it which led to a scoring chance.

Old
09-21-2008, 11:42 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Dawes and Prucha played very well.

And Byers was invisible.
If you think being out of position 70% of the game (Dawes) and not being able to finish and capitalize on easy scoring chances (Prucha) is "playing very well" then I'm going to say your definition of very well is totaly different then mine.

AS far as someone saying Byers being bad. He threw the best hit of the night -- and w/ the limited ice time he had b/c of special teams... he was hitting everything that came in his way.

Old
09-21-2008, 12:02 PM
ThirdEye

Seems like many Senator fans thought their team played well last night

If just getting by playing against a team missing their entire top line, which accounted for 185 points last year, Lundqvist, and two key defensemen is considered good then I would be worried. I know it's only preseason, but aside from Heatley and Spezza that was a clearly mediocre effort on their part.

Then again, a lot of the players on the Rangers were trying to prove they belong on the team, whereas I think the Ottawa roster is pretty much set in stone right now. Not much to play for really

Old
09-21-2008, 12:05 PM
segmentation fault

I missed the first period, but during the other 2 said to myself "how are we losing?"

Old
09-21-2008, 12:12 PM
senators101

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
Seems like many Senator fans thought their team played well last night

If just getting by playing against a team missing their entire top line, which accounted for 185 points last year, Lundqvist, and two key defensemen is considered good then I would be worried. I know it's only preseason, but aside from Heatley and Spezza that was a clearly mediocre effort on their part.

Then again, a lot of the players on the Rangers were trying to prove they belong on the team, whereas I think the Ottawa roster is pretty much set in stone right now. Not much to play for really
We don't think we played well and some of our rookies looked off but we are excited about Spezza, Heatley, and some of the new players on our team. We liked Winchester, Smith, Ruutu, and Kuba. We know if we don't improve, we're doomed, but yesterday's game showed nothing about 5 on 5, way too many penalties were called. We're waiting for Alfie, Volchenkov, and Kelly, which will shore up a lot of the secondary scoring problems and solidify our defense.

I was just wondering if the game on monday is on MSG?

Closed Thread