HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

good read about Higgins

Old
09-21-2008, 03:12 PM
goalchenyuk

vCash: 500
good read about Higgins

http://wwwrealitycheckeyesontheprize...r-higgins.html

Confidence is the key , traduced from Marc DeFoy of le Journal de Montreal .

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2008, 03:19 PM
anarmandaleb

Thanks

anarmandaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2008, 03:29 PM
znk

This is great to read.....it's exactly what I thought was the problem last season.
Quote:
"I'm too easily discouraged. I need to work on that", he says.
The fact that he knows it and is taking measure to work on it has me really pumped.

Edit: That part isnt translated right.
Quote:
"It was my first year wearing a letter on my jersey", he says, alluding to the assistant captain's "A" he was awarded. "That role in itself creates expectations, but I didn't always hold up my end of the deal. I'd wish to be more vocal in the dressing room, if I were able. I want to do what's best in helping the team."
The original article has it this way.
Quote:
«Ce rôle crée des espoirs, mais je ne l'ai pas toujours assumé de la bonne manière. J'aimerais retirer des paroles que j'ai prononcées dans le vestiaire si j'en avais le pouvoir. Je veux essayer de faire ce qu'il y a de mieux pour l'équipe.»
meaining..."There are things I wish I had not said in the dressing room."

Strange...I wonder what he's alluding to.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2008, 03:36 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

Well... to me Chris could have a good season this year. Carbo seems to foresee him with Tanguay and Koivu. I can see him having around 30-30 this year, maybe a little less.

The reason why I said he was going to have 50 pts this summer, is that I saw him alongside Kyle Chipchura on the third line.

However, I really think Carbo should give some ice time to Higgins, Koivu and Tanguay together, so they can build a chemestry as soon as possible. I see it coming naturally between Higgins and Tanguay, as Tanguay is a puck possession player and Higgins is more of a forechecking player, but Tanguay and Koivu are going to need some adjustments, as both of them love to keep the puck as long as possible.

Quote:
Probably the thing he said about him being able to score 40, and some things he said about his teammates... It's great if he admits he was wrong. He gains some points with me.

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2008, 03:44 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Hopefully Higgins can : teach : the youngsters some important things this year. I feel that with the A on his sweater, he's here to help.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2008, 03:54 PM
7th Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by #ZAMBONI# View Post
http://wwwrealitycheckeyesontheprize...r-higgins.html

Confidence is the key , TRANSLATED from Marc DeFoy of le Journal de Montreal .
fixed

7th Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2008, 04:01 PM
Russeltown

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
This is great to read.....it's exactly what I thought was the problem last season.

The fact that he knows it and is taking measure to work on it has me really pumped.

Edit: That part isnt translated right.

The original article has it this way.

meaining..."There are things I wish I had not said in the dressing room."

It's more... He'd like to speak more in the lockey room. J'aimerais réitérer and not retirer

Russeltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2008, 04:13 PM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
I knew it!! I always always suspected he got too discouraged during games because if you look at him at the start of seasons he always has amazing dekes and is a spark-plug and is unpredictable with the puck. I was always sorely dissapointed 15 games into the season when he stopped playing like that and played a normal routine game. Well, I'm glad he noticed this as well and is trying hard to work on it!

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2008, 04:26 PM
Lord Horse
Next Day's News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russeltown View Post
It's more... He'd like to speak more in the lockey room. J'aimerais réitérer and not retirer
I don't think so, I read the article, it says:

«C'était la première année où je portais une lettre à mon chandail», souligne-t-il en faisant référence à sa nomination au titre d'adjoint au capitaine.

«Ce rôle crée des espoirs, mais je ne l'ai pas toujours assumé de la bonne manière. J'aimerais retirer des paroles que j'ai prononcées dans le vestiaire si j'en avais le pouvoir. Je veux essayer de faire ce qu'il y a de mieux pour l'équipe.»

(from
http://www2.canoe.com/sports/nouvell...21-064901.html)

This is my translation:

"It was the first time I had a letter on my sweater," Higgins said, refering to his new role as assistant captain.

"That raised hopes [expectations], but I didn't always handle them the right way. I would like to take back some of the things I said in the dressing room if I had the power. I want to try doing what's best for the club."

Now I went fairly literal in that last paragraph, but the meaning seems pretty clear to me: he knows he opened his big mouth too much in the room and that he didn't handle his role as an assistant captain as best as he should have.

Higgins has a known history of talking too much, it doesn't surprise me that he's got a mea culpa here for putting his foot in it in the dressing room. Hopefully he will learn that leadership is an on-ice activity and leave the talking to people who can do it with more experience.

A young kid from a rich school makes it big very fast as a pro, promoted early, played on the top line.... no big surprise here, he's gonna chirp until someone tells him to shut the **** up.

I remember Marty Turco saying the very same thing a year (or 2?) ago and commenting that Higgins should take a page out of his book.

If I had to guess I'd say his comments on Ryder being the problem on his line (he did finally come out and admit this last year) didn't help him, and who knows what followed that in the room. His play is not consistent enough yet that he should be an assistant, and for someone who misses so many open nets he really ought not to be saying much to anyone outside of "sorry Saku, you really should have had 80 points."

Now that all may sound like I'm coming down hard on Higgins, who I really think is a good winger, but I think it goes right to the heart of the matter, that he's got to put up or shut up if he wants to be a leader on this team. There are vets who can show him the ropes, but if wants to take the reigns it's on him to be that guy 24/7, on the ice, in the room & outside of the game.

Kovalev and Roman Hamrlik should have the "A" this year, I don't know why it's even a question on this team.

Lord Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2008, 04:36 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russeltown View Post
That would be wrong....cause the blog was translated from the french interview. It clearly says retirer

Old
09-21-2008, 04:51 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
That would be wrong....cause the blog was translated from the french interview. It clearly says retirer
...which was translated from an English interview. Kind of begs the question, why was it translated back to English instead of going by the original tape?

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2008, 05:18 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades 0f Steel View Post
...which was translated from an English interview. Kind of begs the question, why was it translated back to English instead of going by the original tape?
Still...the whole context of the sentence is quite clear.

Old
09-21-2008, 05:31 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
I remember the interview with him and Komi at the 3E institute in NY, they also said the mental part is very important. I think he's right, the grind of the season can be hard to deal with and this year it's gonna be even harder with all the celebrations and expectations.

Id like to see him play with more grit this year but like he said he need to be more consistent and bring it every night.

Team_Spirit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2008, 05:42 PM
Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoar View Post

Kovalev and Roman Hamrlik should have the "A" this year, I don't know why it's even a question on this team.
Koivu as captain and markov, kovalev as the assistants. they are the leaders of this team. Komisarek is next in my books.

well i can't read french so i will not comment on the interview, other than to say that it sounds like higgins is aware of his holes and is trying to fix them.

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2008, 06:22 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Now I went fairly literal in that last paragraph, but the meaning seems pretty clear to me: he knows he opened his big mouth too much in the room and that he didn't handle his role as an assistant captain as best as he should have.

Higgins has a known history of talking too much, it doesn't surprise me that he's got a mea culpa here for putting his foot in it in the dressing room. Hopefully he will learn that leadership is an on-ice activity and leave the talking to people who can do it with more experience.

If I had to guess I'd say his comments on Ryder being the problem on his line (he did finally come out and admit this last year) didn't help him, and who knows what followed that in the room. His play is not consistent enough yet that he should be an assistant, and for someone who misses so many open nets he really ought not to be saying much to anyone outside of "sorry Saku, you really should have had 80 points."

Now that all may sound like I'm coming down hard on Higgins, who I really think is a good winger, but I think it goes right to the heart of the matter, that he's got to put up or shut up if he wants to be a leader on this team. There are vets who can show him the ropes, but if wants to take the reigns it's on him to be that guy 24/7, on the ice, in the room & outside of the game.

" I am sorry Saku , i 've just scored 27 goals . If i had made 51 , you would have had 80 points , something you are used to do each season ..."

anything ! How old Higgins is ? It's not to him to carry Koivu and the team . He's a leader , but not The Leader . He was totally right about Ryder , and the Habs management showed that they agreed with him . Also , Captain Kirk Muller said very good things last season , about the leadership of Higgins . I trust his opinion far more than the one of Marty Turco .

Old
09-21-2008, 06:33 PM
dcyhabs

go back...

I think Higgins would score 40 if he was put back on a line with Plekanec and Kostitsyn. That line was scary two years ago. Plekanec did OK with Kovalev, but I don't think there was synergy. The line had so much combined talent they had to score fairly often, but the players did not make each other better. If Kovalev actually has chemistry with Lang there is a serious chance of having 3 lines where the players feed off each other, and they make last years scoring lead look pretty weak.

Well that's my optimism for the day, back to my usual rampant cynicism.

dcyhabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2008, 06:33 PM
Lone Rogue

Christopher Higgins wears the A for a reason. You don't get freebee letters in Montreal (Well, Mike Keane did, but those were bad times).

It blows my mind how people could be angry by Higgins speaking his mind. There was another Hab captain known for speaking his mind, and he was not only our captain in the '93 Cup, but he is also our head coach.

I truly cannot figure out what people look for in their ideal captain. They don't want someone who speaks loud and leads the team by his words (like what Higgins is learning to do, and what players like Mark Messier received reputations for), but at the same time, they don't want quiet players who only speak when they need to and lead on the ice (Like what our current captain Saku Koivu does, and what some of the greatest captains in Hab history used to do).

Instead, they want to see the C on Mike Komisarek, a guy who while a fantastic player, has never been praised as a leader of this team like Koivu, Kovalev and Higgins have. Komisarek has done nothing but play well, and while that might work as a good leader on NHL09, its not what makes a great leader in the real game of hockey.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2008, 06:44 PM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
Instead, they want to see the C on Mike Komisarek, a guy who while a fantastic player, has never been praised as a leader of this team like Koivu, Kovalev and Higgins have. Komisarek has done nothing but play well, and while that might work as a good leader on NHL09, its not what makes a great leader in the real game of hockey.

Have you ever talked to him or at least watched him in interviews? The guy is a natural born alpha-male leader

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2008, 06:48 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
Have you ever talked to him or at least watched him in interviews? The guy is a natural born alpha-male leader
Indeed. He doesnt have the confidence issues Higgins has from time to time....he never stares at the ice after plays he stares everyone in the eyes.

Old
09-21-2008, 06:56 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 50
nice, Im gonna read this tonight when i get home.

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2008, 07:06 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcyhabs View Post
I think Higgins would score 40 if he was put back on a line with Plekanec and Kostitsyn. That line was scary two years ago. Plekanec did OK with Kovalev, but I don't think there was synergy. The line had so much combined talent they had to score fairly often, but the players did not make each other better. If Kovalev actually has chemistry with Lang there is a serious chance of having 3 lines where the players feed off each other, and they make last years scoring lead look pretty weak.

Well that's my optimism for the day, back to my usual rampant cynicism.
Amen !

That Kids line was in fire . I went to NHL stats to get their production ; Kostitsyn played 22 games , so i supposed that this is the number of games they played together ;

Higgins 22 games ; 9 goals , 7 passes , 16 points
Plekanec 22 games ; 8 goals , 8 pasees , 16 points
Kosty 22 games ; 1 goal , 10 passes .

Now that Andrei has a complete season in the NHL , imagine the kind of production they could have together .

Old
09-21-2008, 08:17 PM
Erika

Quote:
I don't think so, I read the article, it says:

«C'était la première année où je portais une lettre à mon chandail», souligne-t-il en faisant référence à sa nomination au titre d'adjoint au capitaine.

(from
http://www2.canoe.com/sports/nouvell...21-064901.html)

This is my translation:

"It was the first time I had a letter on my sweater," Higgins said, refering to his new role as assistant captain.

"That raised hopes [expectations], but I didn't always handle them the right way. I would like to take back some of the things I said in the dressing room if I had the power. I want to try doing what's best for the club."

A young kid from a rich school makes it big very fast as a pro, promoted early, played on the top line.... no big surprise here, he's gonna chirp until someone tells him to shut the **** up.

I remember Marty Turco saying the very same thing a year (or 2?) ago and commenting that Higgins should take a page out of his book.

+ 87988945767895437654895489568795895899

Bottom line is:

Just shut up and start to produce on the Ice before trash talking in the Locker room.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 09-21-2008 at 09:40 PM.
Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2008, 08:25 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika Kostitsyn View Post
+87988945767895437654895489568795895899

Bottom line is:

Just shut up and start to produce on the Ice before trash talking in the Locker room.
Kirk Muller , former habs captain ; " the Habs are more and more the team of Higgins , who 's a great leader "

Erika Kostitsyn , anonymus nobody , ; " Just shut up and start to produce on the Ice before trash talking in the Locker room. "

How many Habs have 49 goals in the last 2 years ?

Last edited by Beakermania*: 09-21-2008 at 09:40 PM.
Old
09-21-2008, 08:34 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by #ZAMBONI# View Post
Kirk Muller , former habs captain ; " the Habs are more and more the team of Higgins , who 's a great leader "

Erika Kostitsyn , anonymus nobody , ; " Just shut up and start to produce on the Ice before trash talking in the Locker room. "

How many Habs have 49 goals in the last 2 years ?
Part of the growing up process is understanding how to remain the same person in the room when you aren't going thru a good stretch. I think, notice I say think, that Higgins probably felt that the honor that they gave him, meant that he should be more vocal. I suspect that he may have forced it at times.

I know that the young journalists on the Team would go straight to Higgins and Komi for quotes as neither player hid after practice. I think that when Higgins was going thru a slump, he should've spoken less but like everything else, you have to do it wring to learn to do it right.

Later in the year, Gorges and Price got more airtime, which probably helped.

Watch Price this year, I have a feeling that his candour may get him criticized.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2008, 09:10 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

Quote:
Indeed. He doesnt have the confidence issues Higgins has from time to time....he never stares at the ice after plays he stares everyone in the eyes.
True... Komisarek is a born leader and imposes respect.

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote