HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stafford

Closed Thread

Old
06-24-2004, 12:50 AM
Edge

vCash: 500
IF Sather is set on Stafford then I would trade down. I know Anaheim would take Ladd at six, and if they throw in a second or a talented young player, it's a done deal.

If they add a sixth second rounder, there is NO reason they can't move up from 24 or even add a third first rounder.

Old
06-24-2004, 12:56 AM
Prucha73

Edge how can you explain the reasoning behind Sather not being that high on Tukonen, Ladd and Olesz? What could he possibly not like about them? 3 big, hard working, gritty, skilled forwards, good skaters who are all very safe picks and not bad defensively? What would possess Sather to not pick one of them at #6?

Old
06-24-2004, 01:09 AM
Prucha73

How do Stafford and Chipchura differ? For some reason I see them as very similar players. Is Stafford really that much better?

Old
06-24-2004, 01:31 AM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prucha73
Edge how can you explain the reasoning behind Sather not being that high on Tukonen, Ladd and Olesz? What could he possibly not like about them? 3 big, hard working, gritty, skilled forwards, good skaters who are all very safe picks and not bad defensively? What would possess Sather to not pick one of them at #6?
Well I don't know that he's not high on them. In fact everything I know says they love Ladd. It could be a million factors.

For example as SOTI or Park will tell you, reporting rumors can suck sometimes. People change their minds, things come up and sometimes {to be frank} you're left looking like a jackass.

It also comes down to a last minute thing and smoke screens and sometimes {like that old game telephone} information is lost along the way. They might want Stafford at six or they may want to nab him at 10, no one really knows for certain.

In the end rumors are just that. We mention em when we can, we update as we can and sometimes they change.

Someone could have fallen from their top 5 and someone they ranked sixth moved into the top ten. There's no real right or wrong answer, just a lot of talk.

Old
06-24-2004, 01:31 PM
SML

Personally, I would take Ladd with #6. However, Stafford kinda reminds me of Adam Graves, who was never supposed to be a huge scorer but made the most out of what he had. I think some guys are highly undervaluing a second rounder, maybe because we have so many of them, but a team that only has one 2nd is not going to trade it to move up 3 spots in the 1st round, IMO. Really, I would be satisfied with Ladd, Stafford, Tukonen, Barker, or whomever the select in the #6 spot, as long as they don't go outside the projected top 10 (not including Goalies) I don't think it would be so wise to trade down. We need everything, and we have a boatload of picks already. This is the greatest chance to build some true young organizational depth that we have ever had. I can't wait to get to Raleigh.

Old
06-24-2004, 01:52 PM
ddheyman

Quote:
I think Balej, Prucha, and Immonen at least at this point are all better than Jessiman and more skilled. Prucha is 5'10" that is not tiny, Mike York is same size.
Mike York is tiny ... so comparing Prucha to him doesn't make him sound big. No he's not fleury size, but he ain't big. The problem with being Yorkie's size is you get worn out as your body just can't sustain the same level of abuse as other players who are larger ... just my opinion.

Old
06-24-2004, 01:57 PM
True Blue

Quote:
I think Balej, Prucha, and Immonen at least at this point are all better than Jessiman
Balej aside, I would love to know how it is that you think that both Prucha and Immonen are better than Jessiman. Prucha is a longshot to even make it to the NHL and Immonen is pretty much an enigma. Prucha is tiny and has some questions about his skating and Immonen is not considered a particularly great skater either.

"But Tukonen, Ladd and Olesz also work hard, hit and go into the corners"

You keep trying to lump in Tukonen in with Ladd and Olesz. Tukonen DOES NOT play the same type of game that Ladd does. Yes, he is not shy when it comes to body contact, but whereas one can compare Ladd to a young Graves or a Ryan Smyth, one cannot make the same comparison when it comes to Tukonen.

Old
06-24-2004, 03:12 PM
Prucha73

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
You keep trying to lump in Tukonen in with Ladd and Olesz. Tukonen DOES NOT play the same type of game that Ladd does. Yes, he is not shy when it comes to body contact, but whereas one can compare Ladd to a young Graves or a Ryan Smyth, one cannot make the same comparison when it comes to Tukonen.
Huh? Have you seen them play or something? Where are you getting this from? Going by every scouting report Tukonen is extremely physical and hard working player.

Old
06-24-2004, 03:18 PM
Prucha73

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddheyman
Mike York is tiny ... so comparing Prucha to him doesn't make him sound big. No he's not fleury size, but he ain't big. The problem with being Yorkie's size is you get worn out as your body just can't sustain the same level of abuse as other players who are larger ... just my opinion.
But he could still play in NHL and do well, there are plenty more players in NHL besides York who are around 5'10" and are playing well. Letowski, Drury, Briere, Gionta, St. Louis, etc.

Old
06-24-2004, 03:23 PM
Prucha73

Quote:
Balej aside, I would love to know how it is that you think that both Prucha and Immonen are better than Jessiman. Prucha is a longshot to even make it to the NHL and Immonen is pretty much an enigma. Prucha is tiny and has some questions about his skating and Immonen is not considered a particularly great skater either.
Have you seen Prucha's numbers in juniors? 28 games, 38 goals, 28 assists, 66 points, +54

Both Prucha and Immonen have proven that they can play in men's league against older players and put up great numbers. Jessiman hasn't proved much as his numbers went downhill.

Old
06-24-2004, 03:55 PM
Park #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby
Yea, Prucha is small... York is the same size, but watch how he gets worn down near the end of the season, not mention he works his A off to be the player he is.

Immonen is a question mark... 2nd line center or nothing...

Balej is a solid 2nd line one dimensional player...

I'd take Jessiman over ANY of these guys... no questions asked.
So would anyone with any knowledge of any of them.

Old
06-24-2004, 04:22 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

I don't how many people have actually seen Stafford play last season. What he did in WJC doesn't even begin to describe what this kid can do. He can play all 3 forward positions, but RW is his natural position and the position I've seen him play the most at with UND. He's a kid whose possesses immense skills and smart as a whip. He's got good vision and he can undress opposing defenseman pretty darn well.

Now how will that translate into what he CAN do at the pro level? My guess is that he's likely destined to be a good 2nd liner, maybe see time on a checking line. He's quite good defensively and he's not afraid of playing the body.

I'm not going to get into comparing him to Ladd, Olesz, etc. because for one thing I haven't seen those guys play yet and I feel that it would be an invalid comparison. As for the comparison to Brady Murray, his teammate? Two different type of players. Murray is a speedster who some may classify as a pure goal scorer (although I don't completely agree with that), whereas Stafford is a good sniper who excels both offensively and defensively.

Old
06-24-2004, 04:26 PM
ddheyman

Quote:
But he could still play in NHL and do well, there are plenty more players in NHL besides York who are around 5'10" and are playing well. Letowski, Drury, Briere, Gionta, St. Louis, etc.
I agree, it just makes it more difficult, wasn't saying that they couldn't make it, just that it becomes less likely that they will make it when they are that size ...

Old
06-24-2004, 06:13 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Huh? Have you seen them play or something?
Yes.

"Tukonen is extremely physical and hard working player."

Eventually you are going to have to face reality in the face. Yes, Tukonen is a nice enough two-way forward. And yes, he works well along the boards and works hard in general. But he is just not that "physical" of a player. At least not in the sense that you are trying to make him out to be.

"But he could still play in NHL and do well, there are plenty more players in NHL besides York who are around 5'10" and are playing well. Letowski, Drury, Briere, Gionta, St. Louis, etc."

Sure, he COULD. However, the odds are pretty much against him. Your last word is "etc". There's not much of an etc. after the guys you just named. Letowski is nothing great. Drury is pretty good, but needs the attention to be off of him. St. Louis is an abberation.
Prucha's size, or lack thereof IS an issue. I've seen the way Prucha looks. He looks like you need to tie him down in a strong wind, otherwise he'll blow away. And let's be frank here. Prucha does not have the same type of wheels that some of these other small guys do.

"Both Prucha and Immonen have proven that they can play in men's league against older players and put up great numbers. Jessiman hasn't proved much as his numbers went downhill."

You are simply deluding yourself if you think that Prucha or Immonen are better prospects than Jessiman. Jessiman's chances of making to the NHL are much better than either of them.

Old
06-24-2004, 07:44 PM
Prucha73

Quote:
Yes.
Sorry, but I don't think you did.

Old
06-24-2004, 10:51 PM
ddheyman

Quote:
Well at least you're not accusing him of lying or anything ...

Old
06-24-2004, 11:03 PM
Broadway Brett

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddheyman
Well at least you're not accusing him of lying or anything ...
Yes that would be a classless thing to do... So that would make it something I would do.

Old
06-24-2004, 11:05 PM
True Blue

Quote:
You certainly are more than entitled to your opinion.
But just for your knowledge, I DO get to see good amount of hockey. Having relatives that do buisiness in Europe, has allowed me to see more than my share of international hockey. I am certainly no expert, I just call it like I see it. But as I said, you are more than 100% entitled to your beliefs.

Last edited by True Blue: 06-24-2004 at 11:10 PM.
Closed Thread