HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Shanny offered tryout by Rangers

Old
09-22-2008, 07:52 AM
FutureGM97

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Shanny offered tryout by Rangers

http://www.nypost.com/seven/09222008...ent_130165.htm

on the trade rumor board also....Shanny has refused it so far but i think he should accept it to get into camp and go from there.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2008, 07:59 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

garbage. we have guys like voros, prucha, fritsche, korpedo and prucha who need to make this team for now and the future. shannys not gonna make a difference this season playing on the 3rd line. enough with shanny. its over.

however, given that we gave petr nedved a tryout, i guess offering the same to shanny is the least slats could do.

let it go already.....

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2008, 08:10 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

If you ask me, Sather is going about this the wrong way and the right way at the same time.

Part of me is upset that Shanny has to go through this whole ordeal twisting in the wind. Sather could have just told him to look elsewhere. Its hard to believe that the Rangers don't know if they want a 600+ goal scorer and HOF on their team this year or not. Hell, even here, you are pretty opinionated on the matter, making a case for him or not. So they dont have the room, tell him. So they think hes wrong for the team, tell him. If they wanted to give him a shot on a tryout basis, they should have told him before camp started maybe? Or maybe they did and Shanny refused then as well.

On the other hand, i dont want Shanny on this team (at least not now anyway) and i'm trying to see the positives of dragging this out. Teams who've showed interest in Shanahan such as the Devils and Flyers have to wait to see what he does to see if they can sign him, will they still be interested after he has shown his stubborn allegiance to the Rangers, well into camp? From a Rangers point of view this is great because hes not in the Devils camp right now gearing up to beat Lundqvist glove side.

Either way, Shanny doesnt want to come to camp on a tryout basis and i think we'll either see one of three things happen this week. Giving into the Rangers demands isnt one of them. I think well see him A. Hold out even longer and continue to try and get a contract outright, B. Announce his semi-retirement and entertain the notion of coming back later in the year, or C. Take another offer, possibly with the Blues.

For the Rangers I think the best option is B, but we have to hope that its not the future of this team. I've mentioned I would welcome him back with open arms later in the year, IF and WHEN the Rangers needed him. That means a few things have to happen. Injuries, lack of chemistry or performance (offense) or a bad record. I've charted Shanny the last few years and its pretty evident he has much better first halfs then last halfs of the season. If he stayed ready and came back to the Rangers with 20-30 games left in the season he could prove to be a good addition. But a lot has to happen for that to come to fruition, including Shanny's approval - and frankly if something like that were to happen, that would mean the Rangers pretty much suck.

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 09-22-2008 at 08:18 AM.
HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2008, 08:25 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Oh, and one more thing.

Comparing this situation to Bernie Williams is exaggerating a bit IMO.

Bernie played his whole career with the Yankees, not just 2 years. Thats a big difference as far as owing a guy respect. Yeah the situation is very similar with the tryout offer, but as far as the players legacy with each team goes, it couldn't be further off the mark.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2008, 08:38 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Seems to me like Shanny has been caught with a bad hand in a game of Liar's Poker.

09-22-2008, 08:45 AM
azrok22

vCash: 50
Seeing the speed we had in the first pre-season game, I want Shanny back even less than I did.

Still, I respect the player immensely and would be thrilled to see him take a non-player position with the organization ala Graves.

azrok22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2008, 09:00 AM
Nich

after seeing our first game, i do not think we need shanny back.

so that being said i hope he signs with the blues, and we see this lineup

nasland - gomez - z man
dawes - drury - prucha
frische - dubi - cally
voros - blair - korpedo
ex orr, moore/sjostrom

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2008, 09:03 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post

nasland - gomez - z man
dawes - drury - prucha
frische - dubi - cally
voros - blair - korpedo
ex orr, moore/sjostrom
Switch Naslund with Dawes and I'll sign off on that right now.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2008, 09:10 AM
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Switch Naslund with Dawes and I'll sign off on that right now.
which is something i have already considered as well...just want to see what those guys can do tonight.

plus i like how dawes has been playing wit drury so far.

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2008, 09:11 AM
azrok22

vCash: 50
Quote:

nasland - gomez - z man
dawes - drury - prucha
frische - dubi - cally
voros - blair - korpedo
ex orr, moore/sjostrom
Would rather see Korpikoski in Hartford developing his offense than wallowing with Betts as his centerman. Other than that, this this the lineup I'm hoping for too.

azrok22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2008, 09:12 AM
Larry Melnyk

Damn, bringing in Shanny would be a disaster..The guy is shot...His play at the end of the past two seasons, the only time that really matters was horrific..Both he and the club should just move on..And, I might be one of the few, but I don't think we owe Shanny anything or any special treatment--he's been a Ranger for two years, BFD...It's a businees, and he nneds to go...

More importantly, given the absurdity of the worhtless Prucha on a 2nd line, I think SHanny immediatley becomes the Rangers 2nd line winger..where he will become a stationary shooter..yes, he will score some goals (unlike Prucha) but add little else...Just move Dubinsky to the 2nd line where he belongs (Drury-Dubinsky-Dawes) and forget about both Shanny and Prucha..

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2008, 09:18 AM
Celestial Black

No more shanny...we have enough players and I think they are working well.

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2008, 09:19 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Seems to me like Shanny has been caught with a bad hand in a game of Liar's Poker.
Yeah, he may be a great leader -- but "team player"? Nah there seems to be allot of me-first in the equation too.. He wants to play another year, who can blame him. But the altruistic motives Shanny have brought forward don't hold up.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2008, 09:20 AM
Fletch

Sather is being smart (perhaps)

if a second line right winger doesn't emerge (or better yet, a third line right winger), he would have Shanny as a fall-back guy if Shanny was in camp and didn't take any other offers. Of course Sather did say "I'm not in a position now to offer him a contract". That could mean he's not in a position because he doesn't know how the lines are shaking out, or has an idea of what Shanny's cost might be and hasn't moved anybody to clear the space.

Fletch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2008, 09:22 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Yeah, he may be a great leader -- but "team player"? Nah there seems to be allot of me-first in the equation too.. He wants to play another year, who can blame him. But the altruistic motives Shanny have brought forward don't hold up.
I don't really see that.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2008, 09:24 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk View Post
Damn, bringing in Shanny would be a disaster..The guy is shot...His play at the end of the past two seasons, the only time that really matters was horrific..Both he and the club should just move on..And, I might be one of the few, but I don't think we owe Shanny anything or any special treatment--he's been a Ranger for two years, BFD...It's a businees, and he nneds to go...

More importantly, given the absurdity of the worhtless Prucha on a 2nd line, I think SHanny immediatley becomes the Rangers 2nd line winger..where he will become a stationary shooter..yes, he will score some goals (unlike Prucha) but add little else...Just move Dubinsky to the 2nd line where he belongs (Drury-Dubinsky-Dawes) and forget about both Shanny and Prucha..

amen bro.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2008, 09:44 AM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk View Post
And, I might be one of the few, but I don't think we owe Shanny anything or any special treatment--he's been a Ranger for two years, BFD...It's a businees, and he needs to go...
Exactly. It's funny because I remember Sather having no problem treating Leetch like a pure business transaction with the way he traded him. Yet now he is gonna treat Shanny with kid gloves and worry about his feelings?

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2008, 09:49 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
If you ask me, Sather is going about this the wrong way and the right way at the same time.

Part of me is upset that Shanny has to go through this whole ordeal twisting in the wind. Sather could have just told him to look elsewhere. Its hard to believe that the Rangers don't know if they want a 600+ goal scorer and HOF on their team this year or not. Hell, even here, you are pretty opinionated on the matter, making a case for him or not. So they dont have the room, tell him. So they think hes wrong for the team, tell him. If they wanted to give him a shot on a tryout basis, they should have told him before camp started maybe? Or maybe they did and Shanny refused then as well.
I think Shanny's responsible for this, not Sather. Shanny is the one who is refusing offers from other teams in the hopes that the Rangers will sign him. He's the one expecting the Rangers to trade someone in order to make room for him. It's not like the Rangers have the cap space right now and are just waffling. In order to sign Shanahan, they actually have to execute some kind of trade or really decide to bury someone in the AHL in order to free up enough salary cap space. If Shanahan is getting antsy about his situation, he needs to realize he's asking the Rangers to make a pretty decent sized move in order to accommodate him, and the Rangers are in a position where they shouldn't be making rushed decisions on things like that.

The Rangers need to see how things shake out in training camp, and decide if they need some additional help, and if so, who on their roster is expendable. Shanahan just has to wait for that to happen, if he's so dead set on rejoining the Rangers this year. He's put himself in this position and he has to either deal with the consequences, or go sign somewhere else. No one is putting a gun to his head.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2008, 10:01 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:

nasland - gomez - z man
dawes - drury - prucha
frische - dubi - cally
voros - blair - korpedo
ex orr, moore/sjostrom
I don't think Gomez will mesh with Zherdev. Zherdev and Gomez are both guys who like to rush the puck. Gomez likes to skate in and dump it off to someone.

If anyone remembers how well Gomez and Dawes looked together when the were paired up last year? I would put Dawes and Gomer together and put Drury on the RW.

So:

Dawes - Gomez - Drury
Naslund - Dubinsky - Zherdev
Prucha - Korpikoski - Fritsche
Callahan - Betts - Sjostrom

I'd go with that when we are playing against very fast teams.

Dawes - Gomez - Drury
Naslund - Dubinsky - Zherdev
Prucha - Korpikoski - Fritsche
Callahan - Betts - Voros/Orr

When we need some goons.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2008, 10:31 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:

nasland - gomez - z man
dawes - drury - prucha
frische - dubi - cally
voros - blair - korpedo
ex orr, moore/sjostrom
drury - gomez - prucha
näsland - dubi- zherdev
dawes - Anisimov - fritsche
voros/orr - blair - sjo/Cally

?? Riss

My thoughts

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2008, 10:48 AM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
drury - gomez - prucha
näsland - dubi- zherdev
dawes - Anisimov - fritsche
voros/orr - blair - sjo/Cally

?? Riss

My thoughts
Prucha on the first line? Not even sure he is a 4th liner right..He has alot to prove...Even if he can find a way to stay in his skates and find his scoring touch..But I totally agree with the insertion of Dubi and his size/aggression on the second line----He may very well be our best forward (entire game) and he needs to be on the ice..

Not sayin Anisimoc couldn't contribute, but I think it's best that he gets more experience, ice-time and strength in Hartford, at least during the first half of the season..

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2008, 12:51 PM
squishy

Out of curiosity, why does every Larry Brooks article suddenly merit it's own thread with the "News Report" heading? Did the Post become an HFBoards sponsor or something?

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2008, 01:07 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
Out of curiosity, why does every Larry Brooks article suddenly merit it's own thread with the "News Report" heading? Did the Post become an HFBoards sponsor or something?

When your create a new thread now it gives you the option to add things like that, "News Reports, Lineups, Happy Birthday...etc".

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2008, 01:59 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2008, 02:29 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
how can he be a team player without a team?

I don't care how long he's been here, he deserves respect. that doesn't mean a contract offer (or not getting traded in the case of Leetch), but Sather should be open about his intentions with him.