HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Is this the year Gainey pulls a Nieuwendyk/Iginla trade?

View Poll Results: Will Gainey pull a Iginla for Nieuwendyk type of trade this season?
Yes: it will make us the #1 contender for the CUP (or close) 26 28.57%
No (we can go very far, maybe even win the CUP?, without pulling that type of trade) 38 41.76%
NO to losing Pacioretty or McDonagh, but YES to trading roster players+draft picks 27 29.67%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old
09-21-2008, 11:16 PM
Beakermania*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
I don't even remember that Carolina game or the result?!!!
We won... Saku had 2 goals including the winner....

I think the winner was in OT, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by korky00 View Post
Erika????

did I miss something?
If we edit the thread title to contain any of the following words... Sergei, Kostitsyn, Chipchura, Higgins, or Perezhogin... then she will be here to help in no time.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2008, 12:03 AM
Namso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
Pacioretty's value is VERY HIGH in my opinion (Okposo's territory or very close, imo).
McDonagh's value is VERY HIGH in my opinion (not miles away, for example, Luke Schenn's value).
let's not overrate our prospects.

Namso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2008, 12:07 AM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
We won... Saku had 2 goals including the winner....

I think the winner was in OT, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Correct I was there what a game.

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2008, 12:24 AM
brownman*

We have enough depth to give up a blue-chip for a Cup.

brownman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2008, 12:27 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namso View Post
let's not overrate our prospects.
Ok, fair enough, I'll remove the word VERY! (instead of very high, their value is HIGH).

Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2008, 01:12 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsDood View Post
Sundin can be signed for freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Sundin can't make up his freakin' mind. I wouldn't count on him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garo View Post
Iginla wasn't supposed to be Iginla when he was traded.

And Nieuwendyk was only 29 at the time, not that old.
All good points.

On the topic, I say that if we're close at the deadline, don't be surprised to see Gainey pull the trigger on something major. Since I think that we might be close, I say yes, he might just do it depending on who's available.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2008, 02:14 AM
Lebeau47

NO NO NO & NO

man they season hasnt even started yet and you guys wanna trade

we just got tanguay and lang

our playoff problems last year was pp, toughness and people not showing up

we got tanguay , lang and laraque

thats 2 out of 3 solved

if komi , markov and others show up this year in the playoffs and price stays healthy we dont need anything else

also right now timmins has proved with price he knows what hes doing, i want his picks to stick around so i can see what theyre capable of

Lebeau47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2008, 04:42 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebeau47 View Post
NO NO NO & NO

thats 2 out of 3 solved

if komi , markov and others show up this year in the playoffs and price stays healthy we dont need anything else

also right now timmins has proved with price he knows what hes doing, i want his picks to stick around so i can see what theyre capable of

The thread title didn't not say: "I hope a trade will happen"
Just asking a question...

You may be absolutely right on: not needing anyone else...Tanguay, Laraque, Lang, a more experienced Price+Kostitsyns+improved Lats+many playing for UFA $$$, etc...

I, like others would like to see Pacioretty+McDonagh stay + keep our First & Second Round Picks.

But, if we can win the CUP and Gainey feels (before trade deadline) that ONE more move is needed, then so be it... but like you i want us to keep our picks and our star prospects, but in the end...the CUP is what counts.

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 09-22-2008 at 05:00 AM.
Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2008, 05:17 AM
Marksman

He already did. Grabovski for Lang (and Pateryn).

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2008, 08:05 AM
znk

Quote:
NO NO NO & NO

thats 2 out of 3 solved

By the time we reach the trade deadline we will know if there is something we need to fix. I dont understand this no no no answer..

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2008, 08:19 AM
Patty Roy

If it meant we'd win the Cup, then i'd be all for it.

When i look at the Habs roster, there are very few holes. The goaltending lacks experience, but we're going to live and die with what we have so forget an upgrade at this position.

Our forward group is very, very deep. Three lines that should be able to score on a regular basis, and a good group of 4th liners who should all drive each other to the max. I don't see any need to look to upgrade our forward core.

The defence looks solid. A very good top 3, and 3 reliable bottom pair guys. If the team has one place where we could clearly improve, its adding an experienced, solid #4 defenceman. The much talked about Matt Schneider would be a nice pickup here if we can get someone to hold onto him for the next 60 or so games and pay 3/4 of his salary. Other options (all UFA's at the end of this season) could be:

Christian Backman (CLB)
Derek Morris (PHX)
Mattias Ohlund (VAN)

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2008, 08:38 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
It would be for picks and middling prospects for a disgruntled player similar to the Bobby Smith or Perry Turnbull deals IMHO. The Turnbull trade didnt turn out so well lol.

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2008, 08:42 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Those would be nice players. Many in Van belive that Bieksa is on the block although I don't see why. Any of Ohlund, Salo, Bieksa would be nice but Im skeptical that they are available. A Schneider at the trade deadline seems more likely however with the deadline earlier more salary cap room would be utilized. Even a Willie Mitchell would work. Alternatively, if the other team took back some salary eg Boullion, Dandy, Fisher, White and a first for Kaberle would be a dream. Markov, Hammer, Komi, Kaberle, Gorges, Obyrne, Breezer, Tank should work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Roy View Post
If it meant we'd win the Cup, then i'd be all for it.

When i look at the Habs roster, there are very few holes. The goaltending lacks experience, but we're going to live and die with what we have so forget an upgrade at this position.

Our forward group is very, very deep. Three lines that should be able to score on a regular basis, and a good group of 4th liners who should all drive each other to the max. I don't see any need to look to upgrade our forward core.

The defence looks solid. A very good top 3, and 3 reliable bottom pair guys. If the team has one place where we could clearly improve, its adding an experienced, solid #4 defenceman. The much talked about Matt Schneider would be a nice pickup here if we can get someone to hold onto him for the next 60 or so games and pay 3/4 of his salary. Other options (all UFA's at the end of this season) could be:

Christian Backman (CLB)
Derek Morris (PHX)
Mattias Ohlund (VAN)

Last edited by toshiro: 09-22-2008 at 09:15 AM.
toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2008, 09:01 AM
ed ible*

I have a problem gettin rid of prospects for rentals..............especially prospects like Mcd and Pac......I want to see them develop and play for Montreal especially if it means we can ice a contender every year instead of going all out just for one year and then regretting it later.

Sure Dallas won the cup with the Iginla trade but I just wonder what Dallas would be like with Iginla still there.............Hell they might of won two cups?????????

ed ible* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2008, 09:21 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
NO NO NO & NO

thats 2 out of 3 solved

In all due respect, our problems last year was inconsistent goaltending and the lack of a natural goals' scorer as we sure knew how to miss the net, hit the post and make Biron look great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed ible View Post
I have a problem gettin rid of prospects for rentals..............especially prospects like Mcd and Pac......I want to see them develop and play for Montreal especially if it means we can ice a contender every year instead of going all out just for one year and then regretting it later.

Sure Dallas won the cup with the Iginla trade but I just wonder what Dallas would be like with Iginla still there.............Hell they might of won two cups?????????
Didn't Nieuwendyk stay in Dallas for a few years? The question isn't if he'll trade for a rental player here.

I have no doubt that if the right deal comes about, Gainey will pull the trigger to get us on a level playing field with Detroit.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2008, 09:29 AM
ed ible*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
Didn't Nieuwendyk stay in Dallas for a few years? The question isn't if he'll trade for a rental player here.

I have no doubt that if the right deal comes about, Gainey will pull the trigger to get us on a level playing field with Detroit.
Joe Nieuwendyke didnt just come in and win a cup when he was traded. He actually sucked for the first two years in Dallas.....and they didnt even make the playoffs that year..............It wasnt until 4 years after playing there he won the conn smythe and the cup.

Old
09-22-2008, 09:32 AM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
NO NO NO & NO

thats 2 out of 3 solved

Why would you be so against making the team that much better at the deadline?

And why would you want to keep hoarding prospects?

Old
09-22-2008, 09:38 AM
ed ible*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Chezz View Post
Why would you be so against making the team that much better at the deadline?

And why would you want to keep hoarding prospects?
I think Bob and Timmins just love hoarding prospects..............Over the summer we get Tanguay, Laraque, and Lang for nothing except our first rounder last year..and we also land a prospect from Toronto............Just beautiful.

Old
09-22-2008, 09:40 AM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
I think Bob and Timmins just love hoarding prospects..............Over the summer we get Tanguay, Laraque, and Lang for nothing except our first rounder last year..and we also land a prospect from Toronto............Just beautiful.
Well, you have to hoard prospects when you rebuild. You need a larger talent pool to draw from to mold your team into the imagine you seek to create.

At this point in time, we have the flexibility to cut loose a couple youngsters and not sacrifice the future.

If Bob and Timmay were so obsessed over prospects, Tanguay would not be wearing #13 with our team.

Old
09-22-2008, 09:42 AM
ed ible*

Quote:
Well, you have to hoard prospects when you rebuild. You need a larger talent pool to draw from to mold your team into the imagine you seek to create.

At this point in time, we have the flexibility to cut loose a couple youngsters and not sacrifice the future.

If Bob and Timmay were so obsessed over prospects, Tanguay would not be wearing #13 with our team.

They didnt give up any prospects for Tanguay, it was a pick......picks dont always become prospects.

Old
09-22-2008, 09:44 AM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
They didnt give up any prospects for Tanguay, it was a pick......picks dont always become prospects.
In theory, a pick is to get a prospect. How long the player remains a prospect is to be seen. And it was a first rounder, so in all likelyhood, it would of turned out into something decent...

But enough what ifs...

The future is now

Old
09-22-2008, 09:47 AM
ed ible*

Quote:
In theory, a pick is to get a prospect. How long the player remains a prospect is to be seen. And it was a first rounder, so in all likelyhood, it would of turned out into something decent...

But enough what ifs...

The future is now
Yeah I know but I didnt start the "what if" thread.................and I dont want to see our top prospects traded.

Old
09-22-2008, 09:49 AM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
Yeah I know but I didnt start the "what if" thread.................and I dont want to see our top prospects traded.
A-I never said you did.

B-Would you trade a McDonaugh (sp?) or a Pacioretti if it meant winning a Stanley Cup?

My answer is yes. Because, IMO, losing one potential first liner will not harm this team in the long run.

Old
09-22-2008, 09:52 AM
ed ible*

Quote:
A-I never said you did.

B-Would you trade a McDonaugh (sp?) or a Pacioretti if it meant winning a Stanley Cup?

My answer is yes. Because, IMO, losing one potential first liner will not harm this team in the long run.
I would have to be 100% certain that that player coming back would win you a cup and that is highly unlikely.............so no I wouldnt...........players dont win cups teams do.

Old
09-22-2008, 09:53 AM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
If you ask anyone, dallas won that trade, because they have a cup and calgary doesnt.
If gainey can get someone to solidify the lineup as THE cup contender in the east, i say he should take it, even if it means giving up pac or ryan.

What would people say about a trade based around MacD + for Pronger (UFA) when the ducks are failing (epically, of course) mid-season?