HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How good are we?

Old
09-20-2008, 08:41 AM
jfc64

vCash: 500
How good are we?

If we play with this team, see below, or roster free of choice, estimate what our rank in the NHL is for every single position on every line!

Smyth - Sakic - Hejduk (12-10-11)
Wolski - Stastny - Svatos (20-4-16)
Tucker - Arnason - Jones (8-18-20)
McLeod - Laperriere - Ledin (10-6-15)

Liles - Hannan (14-12)
Salei - Foote (8-6)
Leopold - Clark (4-8)

Budaj (24)
Raycroft (22)

Last edited by jfc64: 09-20-2008 at 01:41 PM.
jfc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 10:41 AM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

No need to go through all that trouble...just log on to http://avalanche.nhl.tv

then click on "The Coach's Desk" then on the right side "Granato Ready for the Season"

At the 9m30sec mark, listen to what he has to say about the team's systems.

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 10:50 AM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

I don't see Wyatt Smith up there.

Hasbro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 11:56 AM
ABasin
SelkeCaliber Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post

then click on "The Coach's Desk" then on the right side "Granato Ready for the Season"

That surprises you? :-)

-AB

ABasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 12:32 PM
Huis Clos*
Creamy Hamstrings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post

To be fair Granato does talk quite a bit about how the team needs to start utilizing their speed better to attack the net and play better defensively.

Huis Clos* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2008, 11:29 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by hekic42 View Post
To be fair Granato does talk quite a bit about how the team needs to start utilizing their speed better to attack the net and play better defensively.
And he did put an emphasis on how important the teams play without the puck will be, and they will relay that message to the players from day one. Not sure where he got the idea that the defensive play was strong the last few years though, despite the improvement in that area after the trade deadline last year.

I'm also happy to hear that he wants to have a speedy team that will play with it's heart on it's sleeve. That's the kind of hockey I like watching, and team I love rooting for. I think Tucker and Jones will play big parts for this team under Granato.

Foppa2118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2008, 10:48 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfc64 View Post
If we play with this team, see below, or roster free of choice, estimate what our rank in the NHL is for every single position on every line!

Smyth - Sakic - Hejduk (12-10-11)
Wolski - Stastny - Svatos (20-4-16)
Tucker - Arnason - Jones (8-18-20)
McLeod - Laperriere - Ledin (10-6-15)

Liles - Hannan (14-12)
Salei - Foote (8-6)
Leopold - Clark (4-8)

Budaj (24)
Raycroft (22)
Well, on paper that lineup looks like it'll score plenty, but DEAR LORD Tucker and Arnie on the same line would be about as effective defensively as, well, the Broncos. Still, not to diss on your combos, I'm not sure what else you can do to mitigate that situation. I actually wouldn't mind seeing Tucker work with Sakic, I have a feeling that line might actually work--seeing as how Tucker is similar to Bruno (not a lot of speed, but has presence in front of the net). Maybe bump Smyth to third line, I don't know.

I really hope this is Wolski's breakout season. It's about time he finally play up to his potential and show some freaking consistency.

Av-merican is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2008, 11:23 AM
chewey
dmitri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
bump Smyth to third line

I stopped reading there..

chewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2008, 01:08 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitri View Post
I knew someone was going to overreact. You win the prize!

If you had happened to be paying attention last season you'd realize that Smyth played third line then as well, and was quite effective. Third line doesn't necessarily mean third line minutes so long as you're rolling three balanced lines.

Old
09-22-2008, 01:50 PM
chewey
dmitri

Quote:
I knew someone was going to overreact. You win the prize!

If you had happened to be paying attention last season you'd realize that Smyth played third line then as well, and was quite effective. Third line doesn't necessarily mean third line minutes so long as you're rolling three balanced lines.
Gimme my prize now!!

Oh, don't worry. I knew that Smyth was bumped down to the 3rd line in favor of Foppa with Stastny and the Duke.

I also read when you said about Tucker = Bruno, that was also just another wrong comparison since I can't recall Bruno being a presence in front of the net as much as he was a presence behind the net. Maybe you are getting Tucker mixed up with Smyth?

But until I see how well Tucker does with Arny [since like you said, you have a "feeling" you haven't seen them play so its just speculation] as well as Jones it'd be stupid to Bump Smyth down in favor for Tucker especially when Smyth had shown chemistry with Stastny and Hejduk.

I don't even agree with the lines that you quoted originally.

I'd rather go for the top 6:

Wolski - Sakic - Svatos
Smyth - Stastny - Hejduk

Given, if there is no chemistry between the players this line will obviously change but judging from last season and seeing how Sakic/Wolski had good chemistry and Smyth - Stastny - Hejduk had good chemistry. To suggest bumping a player down to increase your security of a line that would hardly so anything with Arny centering and destroy a possible effective line that has shown to succeed in the past is just ineffective.

Given, I am not saying that I am write and Smyth very well will be playing on the 3rd line some nights since we've seen that the lines don't always clicked at times and moving them around once in a while [not each period like Q] might help.

I just wouldn't see Tucker as effective player on the line with Joe as Smyth and Woslki would. I don't support what you said, but it could well happen. No need for you to overreact if someone has contradiction to your point.

Old
09-22-2008, 02:38 PM
Doctor No
Mod Supervisor
Retired?

Quote:
Considering that that quote was 85% of the way through the post, that's not too bad.

Doctor No is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2008, 04:36 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Gimme my prize now!!

Oh, don't worry. I knew that Smyth was bumped down to the 3rd line in favor of Foppa with Stastny and the Duke.

I also read when you said about Tucker = Bruno, that was also just another wrong comparison since I can't recall Bruno being a presence in front of the net as much as he was a presence behind the net. Maybe you are getting Tucker mixed up with Smyth?

But until I see how well Tucker does with Arny [since like you said, you have a "feeling" you haven't seen them play so its just speculation] as well as Jones it'd be stupid to Bump Smyth down in favor for Tucker especially when Smyth had shown chemistry with Stastny and Hejduk.

I don't even agree with the lines that you quoted originally.

I'd rather go for the top 6:

Wolski - Sakic - Svatos
Smyth - Stastny - Hejduk

Given, if there is no chemistry between the players this line will obviously change but judging from last season and seeing how Sakic/Wolski had good chemistry and Smyth - Stastny - Hejduk had good chemistry. To suggest bumping a player down to increase your security of a line that would hardly so anything with Arny centering and destroy a possible effective line that has shown to succeed in the past is just ineffective.

Given, I am not saying that I am write and Smyth very well will be playing on the 3rd line some nights since we've seen that the lines don't always clicked at times and moving them around once in a while [not each period like Q] might help.

I just wouldn't see Tucker as effective player on the line with Joe as Smyth and Woslki would. I don't support what you said, but it could well happen. No need for you to overreact if someone has contradiction to your point.
A'ight, fair enough. I've been on record as saying this season will be a disaster anyway, so I'll be more than happy if all my mighty prognostications are proven wrong.

Old
09-22-2008, 11:39 PM
volaju

Quote:
No need for you to overreact if someone has contradiction to your point.
That's a bit harsh considering you initially didn't offer any sort of logical or insightful rebuttal, rather you made a rather insulting comment about disregarding what he'd said. How do you expect him to reply?

volaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 04:31 AM
jfc64

Quote:
Well, on paper that lineup looks like it'll score plenty, but DEAR LORD Tucker and Arnie on the same line would be about as effective defensively as, well, the Broncos. Still, not to diss on your combos, I'm not sure what else you can do to mitigate that situation. I actually wouldn't mind seeing Tucker work with Sakic, I have a feeling that line might actually work--seeing as how Tucker is similar to Bruno (not a lot of speed, but has presence in front of the net). Maybe bump Smyth to third line, I don't know.

I really hope this is Wolski's breakout season. It's about time he finally play up to his potential and show some freaking consistency.

Agree with the lines looking suspect, just wanted to include all the players with one way contracts, plus Stastny, And have some kind of "falling" skill system with the best LW first and the second one second etc, to make comparisons between teams easier. Sakic with Tucker is a great idea, I think. Another thought is that Tucker might help Hensick to shine on a third line. You know, taking the heat, lead the way etc. Ledin might be a good fit on that line since he knows what to do, both defensively and offensively. Question is if his lower skill level will ruin that line. 35 assists from Ledin?

jfc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 08:07 AM
cuzza

As long as Smyth - Stastny - Hejduk is played, I don't care.

cuzza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 04:14 PM
cl76

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzza View Post
As long as Smyth - Stastny - Hejduk is played, I don't care.
As long as Smyth, Stastny & Hejduk produce, I don't care what line they are on. If Smyth or Hejduk need to be used on other lines it's fine by me. I have a feeling that Stastny's real claim to fame will be his ability to gel quickly and make wingers around him a bit better. He just seems to have the ability to contribute points regardless of who his wingers are. His game is based on his ability to read the ice and play intelligently with smart passes and great puck-movement. He doesn't need two 4-7M dollar wingers to be near a point a game type of center. He could probably do with one of those types and a Chris Stewart, David Jones, Darcy Tucker, Ian Lappierre or pretty much anyone on the team not named Scott Parker. I expect pretty big numbers from Paul this year on the PP which I think can only go up. As long as TG limits the number of forwards used as point men the AVs should be good here if they can win draws. I'd rather have Sakic taking draws on the PP than passing to Smyth behind the net any day.

cl76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 06:35 PM
chewey
dmitri

Quote:
Originally Posted by volaju View Post
That's a bit harsh considering you initially didn't offer any sort of logical or insightful rebuttal, rather you made a rather insulting comment about disregarding what he'd said. How do you expect him to reply?
Fair enough, my apologies. I too overreacted without giving reasoning.

Old
09-24-2008, 01:07 PM
Prospector

Is Wolski's foot injury serious? (Pool purpose...)

Prospector is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 01:19 PM
Jori

Send a message via Yahoo to Jori
They are saying Wolski will miss about a week.

Jori is offline   Reply With Quote