HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stupid things we hear on French media. What should we do?

Closed Thread

Old
09-22-2008, 10:19 AM
Newhabfan

vCash: 500
Stupid things we hear on French media. What should we do?

There were (at least) two last couple of days - first there was Michel Villeneuve cussing about Price losing 28 pounds (never heard so much swearing in a radio show in my life). The fun part was when Michel Bergeron refused to embark and Villeneuve literraly asked him "Are you on the Canadians payroll now?" And minutes later, in a discussion with Rejean Tremblay, a "big story" went on air: Koivu is not pleased because some fund raising lady went to Kovalev's foundation instead of his.

Then the second - Carbonneau is a separatist or not....

However my question is different. Since we know this is just the beginnning, is there an official recommended attitude towards reporting/discussing idiotic content like this on the HF forum?

Option A. It is fun, and entertaining. Let's keep them here and maybe even give them marks for stupidity/harmful potential etc...

Option B. Posting and dicussing them is demoralising, and encourages them even more. It also gives a bad image to fans from the other forums on HF.

What is your opinion ?

Old
09-22-2008, 10:21 AM
HabsDood

We should listen, have an opinion and discuss it.. It's not like we have to take the crap..

Remember Jean-Charles last week? The fans told him.. That's the way it has to work.

Old
09-22-2008, 10:25 AM
AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhabfan View Post
Stupidity is not language specific.

It afflicts us all.

Old
09-22-2008, 10:27 AM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

vCash: 50
You missed the funniest of the Villeneuve / Bergeron "Payroll" thing.

And that is Bergeron hesitating and hesitating before saying "Soon..."

I lol'ed. The man owned Villeneuve saying he was matter-of-factly OWNED himself.

Old
09-22-2008, 10:30 AM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

I personally think the media (especially the french media) are pushing it way too far. Their hockey knowledge is as bad as it comes and they stir **** all the time.

Old
09-22-2008, 10:31 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD View Post

It afflicts us all.
That says it all.

/End thread

Old
09-22-2008, 10:44 AM
Newhabfan

Quote:

It afflicts us all.
First - my native language is neither French or English but I speak and use them both.

I actually listen both to Team 990 and CKAC, and you hear a lot less nonsense in the English version. I mean the only one remotely similar on the English side is P.J.Stock - and he sells himself as an anti Hab anyways (loved it when Gainey told him on air "if only you could play as well as you speak"). And sometimes François Gagnon or Pierre McGuire as guests. I like the morning team (Cassavant, Star and Price), I like Tony Marinero and Melnik - they do a good job

On the French side though - you have Michel Langevin in the morning (Sens fan) - then Michel Bergeron (ex Nordiques coach) then Michel Villeneuve (I heard he was affiliated to the Nordiques too - not sure) - that comment on the Montreal Canadiens. It seems like a race to dig the stupidest thing and make a story out of it. Ron Fournier and JC LAjoie, while they have their moments, are actually smart enough (and, I think, Hab fans enough) to understand where they need to stop. And I like Yvon Pedneault a lot more on radio then I did on TV.

Old
09-22-2008, 10:48 AM
AD

Quote:
First - my native language is neither French or English but I speak and use them both.

I actually listen both to Team 990 and CKAC, .
My native tongue is also neither english nor french but I speak and use both.

I also listen to both team 990 and ckac.

Team 990 is better than CKAC no doubt. No argument there.

But in no way does the fact that 1 station beat another mean that all english sports media is better than the french sports media.

For example, La Presse sports coverage, imo, is much better than the Gazette.

Herb Zurkowsky and Jack Todd don't represent the english media. Villeneuve and Jean-Charles don't represent the french media.

Last edited by AD: 09-22-2008 at 10:55 AM.
Old
09-22-2008, 10:48 AM
Fozz

People give the media way too much importance. Their job is to get talked about and they'll go too far to get the attention. What should we do? Stop talking about the stupid things they say and talk more about the smart, hockey-related stuff that come out.

Old
09-22-2008, 10:54 AM
AlexMeth

Quote:
There were (at least) two last couple of days - first there was Michel Villeneuve cussing about Price losing 28 pounds (never heard so much swearing in a radio show in my life). The fun part was when Michel Bergeron refused to embark and Villeneuve literraly asked him "Are you on the Canadians payroll now?" And minutes later, in a discussion with Rejean Tremblay, a "big story" went on air: Koivu is not pleased because some fund raising lady went to Kovalev's foundation instead of his.

Then the second - Carbonneau is a separatist or not....

However my question is different. Since we know this is just the beginnning, is there an official recommended attitude towards reporting/discussing idiotic content like this on the HF forum?

Option A. It is fun, and entertaining. Let's keep them here and maybe even give them marks for stupidity/harmful potential etc...

Option B. Posting and dicussing them is demoralising, and encourages them even more. It also gives a bad image to fans from the other forums on HF.

What is your opinion ?
You should do like me and ignore them.

Old
09-22-2008, 10:55 AM
CH4

To answer the question, if you don't like french media and your english is good enough, stop listening to french media.

I don't listen to radio very much, exept for Ron Fournier, which is very entertaining.

when it is bad, shut it up.

Old
09-22-2008, 11:13 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
The mods can speak to the official part. As to the recommended attitude, I would recommend not discussing it. Or, failing that (as it's sometimes hard to ignore for sure), at least do not discuss it whilst making any mention of the hot-button word combination "french media" (or "francophone media", etc). I think we all have our opinions about which specific media members are more susceptible to idiocy/sensationalism than others. But it's probably best not to generalize and if we want to discuss any item of idiocy/sensationalism (and we usually do), then it's best to name the mediot in question specifically, and tackle his failings individually, rather than to go with the generalizations.

Old
09-22-2008, 11:20 AM
habfan4

Hey, it's Gros Bill's favourite topic, rehashed, yet again.

Old
09-22-2008, 11:25 AM
Macbeth

Listen to christ-like, faultless english media bliss all the time.

Old
09-22-2008, 11:25 AM
CareyClutch
Doing the job

Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
Another thread against the french media

Old
09-22-2008, 11:28 AM
Lord Horse
Next Day's News

OP, if you don't realize that it's pointless and stupid to start yet another thread about this crap then please, next time just read the board, or ask a mod - don't bother starting a thread.

It creates more worthless arguments than most other topics..... leave the "French Media" (i.e. the French 'Don Cherry' types) and, well, all the English-speaking Don Cherry types (e.g. Don Cherry) off the board.

Should be consigned to the same bin as politics (see Carbo thread).

If there are some posters who are hellbent on getting into these discussions, the mods ought to make a sticky thread for them, merge all forms of discussions into that thread, and so the rest of us who don't need to debate the foolish ranting of paid-for bigmouths can hit "Ignore Thread" and all the crap can be merged into it.

Old
09-22-2008, 11:32 AM
Newhabfan

I must apologize for using the "French Media" in the post title - I am not allowed to change it but I would appreciate it if someone could change it to "sports radio" or similar since this was my original intention.

The answer I seem to get right now is : "if you think it is interesting / fun / important feel free to post or discuss it. Just leave language or political issues out of it". Makes sense.

Old
09-22-2008, 11:39 AM
Fido22

Quote:
I must apologize for using the "French Media" in the post title - I am not allowed to change it but I would appreciate it if someone could change it to "sports radio" or similar since this was my original intention.

The answer I seem to get right now is : "if you think it is interesting / fun / important feel free to post or discuss it. Just leave language or political issues out of it". Makes sense.
Cheers Newhabfan and welcome to the board. You do get the idea though. "French media" bashing has been around for a long time on this board and due to its generaling nature always causes threads to derail and take ugly tones. It doesn't bring anything to the table. Feel free to talk about anything specific, but as you know, generalisations based on language leads to bad places.

Enjoy the board! Great hockey knowledge and discussions (along with some pretty good humour) on this board.

Old
09-22-2008, 11:58 AM
CastroLeRobot
Hab-a-bouille

Quote:

I actually listen both to Team 990 and CKAC, and you hear a lot less nonsense in the English version. I mean the only one remotely similar on the English side is P.J.Stock - and he sells himself as an anti Hab anyways (loved it when Gainey told him on air "if only you could play as well as you speak"). And sometimes François Gagnon or Pierre McGuire as guests. I like the morning team (Cassavant, Star and Price), I like Tony Marinero and Melnik - they do a good job

On the French side though - you have Michel Langevin in the morning (Sens fan) - then Michel Bergeron (ex Nordiques coach) then Michel Villeneuve (I heard he was affiliated to the Nordiques too - not sure) - that comment on the Montreal Canadiens. It seems like a race to dig the stupidest thing and make a story out of it. Ron Fournier and JC LAjoie, while they have their moments, are actually smart enough (and, I think, Hab fans enough) to understand where they need to stop. And I like Yvon Pedneault a lot more on radio then I did on TV.
I agree about Pedneault on Radio >>>> Pedneault on TV

Also, don't forget Dany Dube and Martin Mcguire who are genuine connaisseurs.

As for the OT, I think fans should call in and tell the media that they don't like it when they dig garbage about off-ice stuff. JC Lajoie saw many people call in to tell him he was wrong and I doubt he'll ever say anything negative about Laraque now that he knows his listeners will be pissed. Remember, these people are trying to sell airtime, and battling for viewer/listener ratings. Tell them what you like, what you don't like, and tell them you'll switch to the competition if they keep trashing players.

It's the only thing you can do

Old
09-22-2008, 11:58 AM
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM

Some people still listen to radio?

Old
09-22-2008, 12:04 PM
mcphee

Quote:

There's something about Villeneuve that puts me off. I don't know if it's a tone in his voice, the way he expresses himself, but I'm not a fan. Maybe he's a veritable prince and I get the wrong impression, but that's my reaction. He's just a guy that gets on my nerves, he isn't representative of anyone or anything though.

It gets problematic when a guy in Mtl lumps 5 guys as the French media because it appears to a poster in downtown Lobster Trap in NS that a linguistic group seems to have a collective agenda. One thing leads to another and we get offensive posts that really aren't based on knowledge, like a unilingual poster ranting about a French article he's heard about but couldn't read.

It turns into a bad situation most often, though it wasn't your intention. Then again, it seems you've realized that.

Old
09-22-2008, 12:13 PM
Habitants

post all this type of news in one thread, and keep it a stickie at the top.

then i can hit the little 'x' next to it for ignore thread!

Old
09-22-2008, 12:59 PM
Joe Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4 View Post
Hey, it's Gros Bill's favourite topic, rehashed, yet again.

Sooner or later, you have to give up on people that form their opinions based on what OTHER idiots say.

Either they make up their own minds, and can defend it politely, or they are simply not worth paying attention to.

Old
09-22-2008, 01:08 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Babelfish. It fixed all problems related to language.

Old
09-22-2008, 01:08 PM
hab 4ever

Quote:
Herb Zurkowsky and Jack Todd don't represent the english media. Villeneuve and Jean-Charles don't represent the french media.
Amen.

Closed Thread