HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

fritsche

Old
09-22-2008, 06:51 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

vCash: 500
fritsche

saw this kid play some in syracuse a few years back. at the time, i only noticed him for one reason. kid has spunk. he was all over the ice making plays and hell mix it up no problem. he has speed and skill both. i would say hes similar to ryan callahan but bigger and has more offensive upside.

this kid will stand out tonite in my opinion. hell finish his checks on every shift and play with an edge. if he could some how grab that 3rd centerman spot with callahan and korpedo, id be stoked with that line. we could then keep dubi at 2nd centerman spot with dawes and dru. something like this:

gomez zherdev and naslund
dubi dru and dawes
fritsche cally and korpedo

ill be rooting for dan to make a statement tonite.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2008, 06:56 AM
Matt

Your are spot on about this kid

Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2008, 08:33 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

I'm looking forward to seeing him play tonight.

I know most of us here are excited to see him play, and have him slotted in on a line with Dubi and Callahan - but we always drink the kool-aid when it comes to getting new players (its normal), especially young ones.

I think Fritsche knows this is a big chance tonight to show the fans what hes got and get off on the right foot. Hopefully Zherdev feels the same way.

I think if Fritsche plays a game like Callahan with more offense we can expect a lot from a 3rd line like that. That could be a 3rd line to be reckoned with in not only the Atlantic but the league as a whole.

It's just one preseason game, but lets all take a cold, hard, critical look at the kid tonight to get the right idea about him.

About him at center though. Renney has stated he sees him as a winger, and that he talked to Hitchcock and he used him on the wing as well. For some reason hes always listed as a center. Forgot where i read this but im pretty sure Fritsche will be a winger on this team.

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 09-22-2008 at 08:41 AM.
HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2008, 08:55 AM
Nich

http://rangers.nhl.com/team/app/?ser...ticleid=382885

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2008, 09:08 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Fritsche: Yeah, I played with Girardi in London (Ontario). We won a Memorial Cup together. And Callahan and Dubinsky I know through USA Hockey.
Didnt know that. Thats great, especially if those 3 are on a line together.

Quote:
Fritsche: I'm not going to change my game at all just because I got traded. I think I'm a high-energy player that plays with a lot of passion and emotion and I'm just going to play that way. It's the same way I played in Columbus. I'm going to work hard every night and I'll try to set the tempo of the game.
Awesome

Old
09-22-2008, 09:16 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

yes he has played both. im hoping he played wing for cbj because they needed him there and perhaps hell play center here for the same reason.

i just dont see anyone else who would fit that 3rd line center role other than him and, god forbid, nedved and perhaps arty- and thats a stretch. having dubi play on the 3rd line will negate his scoring ability and this team cannot afford that. were going to need him scoring goals for this team. after all, gomez is not a goal scorer. betts certainly isnt. drury has played wing before in buf and done well there.

after sat night in ott., we saw what dubi can do with his shot. he needs to play with offensive players like drury and dawes. that line can be an offensive force.

if dan is able to play center, it could really help balance this team out 1 thru 9. we shall see. one problem i see however,

petr prucha. if things work out like i stated above, it leaves prucha out in the cold with no spot. im not so sure the suits want that and i undertand why. makes sense. if pruchas here, he needs to play and he needs to play top 9. where does he fit in if dubi plays 2nd centerman? hes not strong enough to play top 6 if dubi is on line 2. he is not a scorer per sey more of an opportunity garbage goal guy especially at even strength. but, the 3rd line has 2 wings who are both BETTER than prucha at what they do as 3rd line types. cally is better than prucha in that roll. period. korpedo, although untested so far, seems to have better speed, size and muscle.

we shall see.

Old
09-22-2008, 09:18 AM
azrok22

vCash: 3743
Looks like he's playing with Dubinsky and Weisse tonight, according to Zipay. Good to see... I was afraid they were going to have him with Nedved.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2008, 09:29 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
Looks like he's playing with Dubinsky and Weisse tonight, according to Zipay. Good to see... I was afraid they were going to have him with Nedved.
well there goes my theory. looks like prucha wins for now. dan needs to play center. playing him with dubi tonite assures he wont. and why is dubi playing at all? after sat. hes shown me enough already. we need to find another centerman and this tells me fritsches not it.

damn renney and slats if they put dubi centering the 3rd line this season.

ugh.

Old
09-22-2008, 09:31 AM
we want cup
Ants in the Pants

i think fritsche is gonna be a valuable commodity for us. can bang bodies like cally, but with more size, he might be able to wreak a little more havoc, and with more skill, maybe score a little more too.

RANGERS =
we want cup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2008, 09:55 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

I have no problem having a Fritsche - Dubinsky - Callahan 3rd line.

The last few years the Rangers were sorely missing a consistent threat on the bottom lines, and now they could have a line that has potential to deliver that. I dont think Dubinsky is being "wasted" down there at all, especially since Renney has stated he wants to roll 4 lines and be less "top line" specific. Remember there aren't any Jagr's eating up 20+ minutes this year. Who knows, im sure a lot will change through the course of the season.

Plus, that line will spread out the speed and go against the other teams weaker defenseman. Of course Dubinsky could play top 6, but I think we'll begin to see that the top 12 are going to get similar minutes. You would have to think theyll put Dubi on one of the PP units as well. He'll get his time.

Really looking forward to see Dubi and Fritsche tonight.

Old
09-22-2008, 09:58 AM
azrok22

vCash: 3743
Quote:
well there goes my theory. looks like prucha wins for now. dan needs to play center. playing him with dubi tonite assures he wont. and why is dubi playing at all? after sat. hes shown me enough already. we need to find another centerman and this tells me fritsches not it.
I think if Fritsche brings what I expect him to bring from my limited exposure to him (see him as a better Callahan basically)... then Fritsche-Dubinsky-Callahan will be an excellent third line, which I'd be quite happy with.

The key thing is, they need to get more ice time than the third line did last season... and that ice time needs to come at the expense of the fourth line. The way we played the fourth line at the end of the season (particularly in the playoffs) is the way we need to play them this season.

Basically I want us running 3 offensive lines with a tough, grind it out fourth line of Voros-Betts-Orr/XXX that gets significantly even strength less ice time than the other three lines.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2008, 10:01 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
I think if Fritsche brings what I expect him to bring from my limited exposure to him (see him as a better Callahan basically)... then Fritsche-Dubinsky-Callahan will be an excellent third line, which I'd be quite happy with.

The key thing is, they need to get more ice time than the third line did last season... and that ice time needs to come at the expense of the fourth line. The way we played the fourth line at the end of the season (particularly in the playoffs) is the way we need to play them this season.

Basically I want us running 3 offensive lines with a tough, grind it out fourth line of Voros-Betts-Orr/XXX that gets significantly even strength less ice time than the other three lines.
Having faith defensively in that thrid line will be key as well, because we all remember how many times Renney ran out Betts for a defensive zone faceoff last year, resulting in giving that 4th line more minutes than it should have during stretches of the season when the Rangers couldnt score if their lives depended on it.

With Dubinsky's ability to win just as many faceoffs as Betts, Callahans responsible defensive play and the expected rise in production of the 3rd line, im hoping what you are talking about is the case with the 4th line. But i think we'll see a very even distribution early on to get everyone going.

Old
09-22-2008, 10:23 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
I have no problem having a Fritsche - Dubinsky - Callahan 3rd line.

The last few years the Rangers were sorely missing a consistent threat on the bottom lines, and now they could have a line that has potential to deliver that. I dont think Dubinsky is being "wasted" down there at all, especially since Renney has stated he wants to roll 4 lines and be less "top line" specific. Remember there aren't any Jagr's eating up 20+ minutes this year. Who knows, im sure a lot will change through the course of the season.

Plus, that line will spread out the speed and go against the other teams weaker defenseman. Of course Dubinsky could play top 6, but I think we'll begin to see that the top 12 are going to get similar minutes. You would have to think theyll put Dubi on one of the PP units as well. He'll get his time.

Really looking forward to see Dubi and Fritsche tonight.
that sounds good but is prucha one of our best 6 forwards? with that 3rd line, pruchas gonna play alot.

hell be playing on one of the top 2 lines and im just not sure he has the game for that at even strength. he blows too many scoring chances and may not be able to handle that kinda playing time and defensive responsability. im concerned that he may make us weaker, not stronger.

Old
09-22-2008, 11:01 AM
hashmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
yes he has played both. im hoping he played wing for cbj because they needed him there and perhaps hell play center here for the same reason.
Since the jackets inception they have needed centers. As weak through the middle as the jackets were, Fritsche still played on the wing because his puck skills are very limited. The puck kind of explodes on his stick when receiving a pass and he is not adept at making plays.

He is intense and as hard-working and enthusiastic about playing hockey as anyone you will every see and I think he should be well liked in NY because of it. He is an honest player and won't cut corners and doesn't shy away from the physicality of the game. He has a pretty good shot too, but don't expect him to make any plays. He often felt that he should be on the pp and play higher up than he did, but he was a 3rd liner for a reason (in spite of the jackets roster being much thinner than the Rangers).

With the lack of depth and injuries that the jackets had over the last few years, he did get his chances to play higher up, but he is what he is, but you can't blame the kid for thinking he is more than he is though. As Howson put it when he traded him: Fritsche will get a chance to get a 2nd opinion in NY.

Towards the end of the season before last, he really started to excel in his role but he got slashed in the wrist by a skate blade and that ended his season. He was redundant within the jackets system so he was tradeable.

hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2008, 11:42 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by willien View Post
Since the jackets inception they have needed centers. As weak through the middle as the jackets were, Fritsche still played on the wing because his puck skills are very limited. The puck kind of explodes on his stick when receiving a pass and he is not adept at making plays.

He is intense and as hard-working and enthusiastic about playing hockey as anyone you will every see and I think he should be well liked in NY because of it. He is an honest player and won't cut corners and doesn't shy away from the physicality of the game. He has a pretty good shot too, but don't expect him to make any plays. He often felt that he should be on the pp and play higher up than he did, but he was a 3rd liner for a reason (in spite of the jackets roster being much thinner than the Rangers).

With the lack of depth and injuries that the jackets had over the last few years, he did get his chances to play higher up, but he is what he is, but you can't blame the kid for thinking he is more than he is though. As Howson put it when he traded him: Fritsche will get a chance to get a 2nd opinion in NY.

Towards the end of the season before last, he really started to excel in his role but he got slashed in the wrist by a skate blade and that ended his season. He was redundant within the jackets system so he was tradeable.
great comments.

im hoping hell fit in somewhere. i think we can use his enthusiasm and fire. sometimes a guy with heart and less talent is more valuable then the guy with tons talent and no heart. unless your name is ryan hollweg.

Old
09-22-2008, 12:21 PM
303Joe

Would have loved for the Isles to pick up this guy. They could have used his size, grit and scoring at center. I see him scoring 20 goals for you guys this year. Excellent pick up.

303Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2008, 12:33 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
that sounds good but is prucha one of our best 6 forwards? with that 3rd line, pruchas gonna play alot.

hell be playing on one of the top 2 lines and im just not sure he has the game for that at even strength. he blows too many scoring chances and may not be able to handle that kinda playing time and defensive responsability. im concerned that he may make us weaker, not stronger.
The way i see it, the top 9 are all going to get similar minutes.

Judging by that it doesnt matter where Prucha is. Some people think the top line is going to get minutes like Jagr did last year. I dont think thatll be the case. Renney has stated he wants to roll the lines more and i agree. Without guys like Shanny, Straka and Jagr taking up a lot of time in all different situations, I think well see a more evenly distributed combination of time for lines 1,2 and 3.

As far as the defense aspect goes, the same could be said for Zherdev. He's dangling around the puck and causing the same distress to the defense as Prucha is. This is another reason why the time is going to be spread out IMO.

Old
09-22-2008, 12:41 PM
NYRSinceBirth

I'm really getting to like this guy. At first, I thought he was just a wash for Backman, but the more I read/hear about him the more and more I just wnat to see him play to see what he's about. Definitely looking forward to tonight.

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2008, 12:49 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Let's hope he can stay healthy. I know not all injuries make a player "injury prone" or "brittle", but after a while you wonder about a player's ability to stay on the ice.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2008, 12:55 PM
Fletch

the only things I worry about regardin Fritsche are the expectations of fans on him as well as his expectation vs. reality. I personally do not have any expectations because I haven't had the opportunity to see him much (or notice him in games). I'm just glad the Rangers got a young body for a defenseman I didn't think very much of.

Some people have him etched into a second line slot. Listening to CBJ fans, it doesn't appear as though he has the skill level to do that very well. Sounds like an energy guy whose hands, eyes and head may not be as quick as his feet. His production has been somewhat erratic, but seemingly decent for the time he got and the centermen with whom he played. Can he get better? He wasn't much of a scorer in the AHL, but the kid has been playing NHL games since he was 19, so who knows. If he can score 10-15 goals in a third line role (with PP time), then I think the Rangers would be getting a lot out of him.

Also, many have him slotted into the PK role. He didn't play much on the PK in Columbus. So who knows the story there.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2008, 01:08 PM
hashmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
the only things I worry about regardin Fritsche are the expectations of fans on him as well as his expectation vs. reality. I personally do not have any expectations because I haven't had the opportunity to see him much (or notice him in games). I'm just glad the Rangers got a young body for a defenseman I didn't think very much of.

Some people have him etched into a second line slot. Listening to CBJ fans, it doesn't appear as though he has the skill level to do that very well. Sounds like an energy guy whose hands, eyes and head may not be as quick as his feet. His production has been somewhat erratic, but seemingly decent for the time he got and the centermen with whom he played. Can he get better? He wasn't much of a scorer in the AHL, but the kid has been playing NHL games since he was 19, so who knows. If he can score 10-15 goals in a third line role (with PP time), then I think the Rangers would be getting a lot out of him.

Also, many have him slotted into the PK role. He didn't play much on the PK in Columbus. So who knows the story there.
10-15 goals for him would be about right. He hasn't played more than 69 games in the NHL in his career, but the skate slashing his wrist was a bit of a freak incident.

A lot of people thought that Zherdev was the gold mine in the trade and where just looking at Fritsche as a 'whatever' player. In the end, people will probably appreciate Fritsche as much or more than Zherdev, just in a different way.

Fritsche's play along the boards and his decision making with the puck is what kept him off the pk. For a guy who is as strong as he is, he turned the puck over a lot when confronted physcially. Lots of times a player who hears that from a 2nd NHL coach will start to get it so he might be better in that regard under Renney.

Patrick Sharp didn't really get what Hitch was talking about either...then he got traded to Chicago and likely heard the same things from Savard. Later on Sharp gave Hitchcock a lot of credit for helping him see the light and getting his career on track. Could be the same for Fritsche although I don't see him with the same skill level as Sharp.

hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2008, 01:14 PM
Fletch

great input, willien, thanks a bunch. I do have concerns about Zherdev, and none about Fritsche, only because one is expected to be a top winger and the Rangers gave up a decent defenseman to get him and the other I expect to only be a third liner, but is still young, and I don't think the Rangers gave up anything for that. And if he doesn't work out, the Rangers have tons of third liners (and already seem short one top six winger).

On Zherdev - everything will depend on his maturity. We've seen the Zherdev story to a certain extent in Kovalev when he was young. Kovalev couldn't realize his potential while in NY (although I think a huge stumbling block was the coach at the time, but the maturity level of Kovalev wasn't always the highest either). And hopefully Zherdev is playing for a big payday - and hopefully he doesn't sit around and wait for the last month to turn it on thinking that everyone only remembers the last weeks of the season and forgets the beginning and middle of the season. We'll see - this is one of those things where it's tough for a CBJ fan who has seen him play every game to say all of the sudden he'll be different - but for a NY fan, it's a clean slate and up to him to take advantage of that.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2008, 01:19 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

I have a problem with Dubinsky playing on the 3rd line.

It is a waste of his talent. He is a top 6 forward. And should be used as such.

We have two versatile players in Fritsche and Korpikoski who can play both wing and center positions. Assuming Anisimov doesn't earn that spot.

Prucha - Korpikoski - Fritsche
Prucha - Fritsche - Korpikoski
Callahan - Korpikoski - Fritsche
Callahan - Fritsche - Korpikoski

Any of those work as the third line.

I prefer Callahan on the 4th line. That would add some skill and speed to the 4th line. Callahan and Sjostrom would be good wingers for Betts.

If Prucha doesn't get a regular shift on the third line or in the top 6, he should be traded in a package. However, he still has something to contribute to this team and should be used in an offensive role.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2008, 01:20 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by willien View Post
10-15 goals for him would be about right. He hasn't played more than 69 games in the NHL in his career, but the skate slashing his wrist was a bit of a freak incident.

A lot of people thought that Zherdev was the gold mine in the trade and where just looking at Fritsche as a 'whatever' player. In the end, people will probably appreciate Fritsche as much or more than Zherdev, just in a different way.

Fritsche's play along the boards and his decision making with the puck is what kept him off the pk. For a guy who is as strong as he is, he turned the puck over a lot when confronted physcially. Lots of times a player who hears that from a 2nd NHL coach will start to get it so he might be better in that regard under Renney.

Patrick Sharp didn't really get what Hitch was talking about either...then he got traded to Chicago and likely heard the same things from Savard. Later on Sharp gave Hitchcock a lot of credit for helping him see the light and getting his career on track. Could be the same for Fritsche although I don't see him with the same skill level as Sharp.
Awesome analysis and comparison, thanks.

Old
09-22-2008, 01:34 PM
NYR Viper

the thing i see is the large similarities bewtween dubinsky and him....same age....abou the same size....play with a lot of energy.....not afraid to drop the gloves.....i know he has never gotten consistent time on the top-2 lines but withthe way the top-2 lines are being assembled a player like callahan, dubi or fritsche would be a perfect fit to add some grit and sandpaper to those lines.....it doesnt mean he is a legit top-2 line player, but he fits the need which could boost his learning curve(look at dubi)

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote