HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Bertuzzi vs. Perezhogin

Closed Thread

Old
06-24-2004, 12:44 PM
Jacques Strappe

vCash: 500
Bertuzzi vs. Perezhogin

So, Bertuzzi, according to TSN.ca has been charged with assault causing bodily harm.

My question is this: What does that mean (if anything) for Perez?

IMHO, the two incidents have no similarities whatsoever! Bertuzzi stalked this guy before suckering him and jumping on him to continue beating on him.
Perez, IMO, had no intention to hurt Stafford. If the authorities look at the tape closely (unlike the AHL it would seem), Perez:

a)wasn't looking where he was swinging IN RETALIATION, and
b) as luck would have it, Stafford turned his face just as the stick arrived, otherwise he'd have taken a harmless whack in the back/side of the helmet.

So, here's hoping the Hamilton authorities do it right!

Old
06-24-2004, 12:47 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

if Perezhogin becomes to representant of all the cheap shots in the world, I might consider to stop watching hockey.

Old
06-24-2004, 10:06 PM
Habbadasher

Looking through my Habs coloured glasses, I don't see the similarity.

Old
06-24-2004, 11:34 PM
Bileur

I think Bertuzzi was way worse, and I dont even have homer-goggles. Perezhogin was a retaliation, a spur of the moment thing (no bounties/premeditation). He just truned around a whacked the guy. Its total BS that Stafford got 6 games WTF. So what perezhogin get a year because ha has better hand-eye coordination? The guys been working on his hand-eye and his stickhandling for years, he just has better aim. There are three reasons for which people are freaking out on Perez;
1. Staffords convulsing on the ice
2. Perez is european
3. They always "accidentally" cropped out the initial swing Stafford took at Perez (in many replays)
Its Bs when people say that is the worse all time Bert's was way worse.

Old
06-25-2004, 12:00 AM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bileur
I think Bertuzzi was way worse, and I dont even have homer-goggles. Perezhogin was a retaliation, a spur of the moment thing (no bounties/premeditation). He just truned around a whacked the guy. Its total BS that Stafford got 6 games WTF. So what perezhogin get a year because ha has better hand-eye coordination? The guys been working on his hand-eye and his stickhandling for years, he just has better aim. There are three reasons for which people are freaking out on Perez;
1. Staffords convulsing on the ice
2. Perez is european
3. They always "accidentally" cropped out the initial swing Stafford took at Perez (in many replays)
Its Bs when people say that is the worse all time Bert's was way worse.
That's so true. They also cropped 2 others attempt that Stafford took to injure Perezhogin, a few seconds before the incident.

Old
06-25-2004, 12:24 AM
FF de Mars

The NHL and AHL are loosing the control, they are making an example on Perez, the scapegoat. It is getting blown out of proportions, ridiculous.

Old
06-25-2004, 07:45 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Strappe
So, Bertuzzi, according to TSN.ca has been charged with assault causing bodily harm.
My question is this: What does that mean (if anything) for Perez?
I have two answers on that one:

1) It could mean nothing, because like you said, the two incidents are very different. However, I don't think they are charging Bertuzzi with attempted murder, are they? Noooo, they are charging him with assault, which means that it's based on the actual act of aggression itself, the sucker punch, and not necessarily on all the buildup to it. In that respect, Perez's act is just as much an assault in the eyes of the law, non?

2) It means a lot: on the one hand, if the charges are brought successfully, it shows (again) that charges can be brought. If he's actually sentenced successfully and it doesn't just waste money on legal expenses, then it gives some hope for prospective prosecutors to bring similar cases going forward. And it puts pressure on the communities to bring the charges: "our law enforcement and criminal prosecution is better than yours, we keep people safer, look we managed to convict Bertuzzi while you just laughed and let the heinous offense of Perez go unchallenged." Added to that, if Moore is successful in bringing a civil suit, then look out.

All that said, I hope Bertuzzi is convicted, is sentenced to serve time, gets slapped with a civil suit, pays out millions from his salary afterwards to Moore, and basically setting aside the glasses, I'm willing to see the same thing happen to Perezhogin, even though I don't necessarily agree that it should. The NHL has shown repeatedly that it's not willing to police itself, so unfortunately somebody else will have to do it for them. They've abdicated responsibility for too long, and now it might not hurt to let them know that they are subjects of a larger authority.

Old
06-25-2004, 08:46 AM
Joe Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien
I have two answers on that one:

1) ....which means that it's based on the actual act of aggression itself, the sucker punch, and not necessarily on all the buildup to it. In that respect, Perez's act is just as much an assault in the eyes of the law, non?

2)....
All that said, I hope Bertuzzi is convicted, is sentenced to serve time, gets slapped with a civil suit, pays out millions from his salary afterwards to Moore, and basically setting aside the glasses, I'm willing to see the same thing happen to Perezhogin, even though I don't necessarily agree that it should. .
Hello Blind Garden,

regarding your point #1, I disagree that the case does not envole prior statements from Bert (and the rest of his team). Nothing hapens in a vacuum, and even if the law states (and I am unsure of the law itself) that it should, behavior and chacter has a lot to do with the outcome.

On your point #2, you sound very peeved at pro-hockey's out of control nature. I agree that if Moore's future as a hockey player and as a human being are compromised by this incident, then he should be compensated by the league and Bertuzzi. That said, jail time will not solve anything.

My hope, Moore fully recovers, plays whatever pro hockey he can cosidering his mid-pack talent. I hope Bert learns his lesson, plays tough but fair and has a great career. And i hope that Perrez goes on to be a 25 goal scorer in the NHL, and learns to keep his stick down.

Old
06-25-2004, 08:58 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole
Hello Blind Garden,
regarding your point #1, I disagree that the case does not envole prior statements from Bert (and the rest of his team). Nothing hapens in a vacuum, and even if the law states (and I am unsure of the law itself) that it should, behavior and chacter has a lot to do with the outcome.
Sounds true...
Quote:
On your point #2, you sound very peeved at pro-hockey's out of control nature. I agree that if Moore's future as a hockey player and as a human being are compromised by this incident, then he should be compensated by the league and Bertuzzi. That said, jail time will not solve anything.
I dunno, I just feel that if somebody was issuing a "bounty" on me, stalked me down Yonge St., sucker punched me, drove my face into the sidewalk and injured my neck, well, I would like to think there was a pretty good chance the guy could receive some punishment, even if I did return comfortably to my job and regular lifely activities.

Jail time... I dunno, I don't really believe it would act as a deterrant to future attacks, but... in the interests of setting aside my true beliefs for the sake of fueling the fire of rabid ignorant witch-huntery surrounding the case... well, let's just say I'd be curious to see it happen just to give us a data point for experimentation purposes.
Quote:
My hope, Moore fully recovers, plays whatever pro hockey he can cosidering his mid-pack talent. I hope Bert learns his lesson, plays tough but fair and has a great career. And i hope that Perrez goes on to be a 25 goal scorer in the NHL, and learns to keep his stick down.
You damned NDPers are all the same!!!! :mad: Try to remember that this is all a video game, won't you?

Old
06-25-2004, 09:04 AM
Joe Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien
You damned NDPers are all the same!!!! :mad: Try to remember that this is all a video game, won't you?
You damned Green Party voters are all the same!!!! :mad: how'd ya know I was off the Liberal bandwagon...... (but so far from the regressive conservatives)

Closed Thread