HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Spot Battlers to date

Old
09-23-2008, 10:34 AM
Forechecker

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
the wings won't score if their center cant get them the puck. Plus if you use say nedved (or korps, ani) its not like defensively you are getting much worse. Plus w/ the added offense its an upgrade. Also you have to factor in, if we have a center who can help maintain offensive pressure, that means we won't be playing defense as much so it isn't as big a deal.
It's not so much the even strength defense that concerns me, it's the amount of PK time Betts eats up. Betts may no longer be our answer on the 4th line, but I guarantee you Nedved isn't either.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 11:00 AM
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
It's not so much the even strength defense that concerns me, it's the amount of PK time Betts eats up. Betts may no longer be our answer on the 4th line, but I guarantee you Nedved isn't either.
i wouldn't worry about the pk...i mean really all of these guys could see pk time

gomez
drury
cally
dubi
korpedo
nasland

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 11:14 AM
Black Tank

Philadelphia tried Nedved as a fourth line center 2 years ago and it was hilarious. With a wealth of 3d and 4th line players, why would we even consider Nedved??? Let him go back home and if the Rangers get desperate mid season, they can give him a call.

Black Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 11:49 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
While he's got a good wrist shot and has scored at the AHL level, I'd say his real talent is his passing, not goal-scoring.
Thanks for the correction, I just assumed he was a goal-scorer based on his stats.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 12:01 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
I am STUNNED that so many of you are ready to give Nedved a roster spot (esp. on the 4th line over Betts) after one (pre-season) game!
Betts, to me, is a nice PK and faceoff guy...and that's it. Nedved brings a lot more to the table, and can center a 4th line and make plays.

It's not like he's a dynamic player at all...yet people just pencil him in every year for the 4th line center.

Last edited by KreiMeARiver*: 09-23-2008 at 12:09 PM.
KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 12:11 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
Betts, to me, is a nice PK and faceoff guy...and that's it. Nedved brings a lot more to the table, and can center a 4th line and make plays.
The question shouldn't be "should Nedved replace Betts on the fourth?". The question should be "should Dubi move up, Dru to the wing, to make room for Nedved on the third?".. and that's more likely.

Nedved doesn't have to replace Betts to make the team, and if it were that way, I think Rangers brass would keep Betts.

For a team that lost 3 major PK'ers last season in Shanahan, Straka, Avery - losing the best forward out there for it in Betts, would be bad. Sure that line would offensively click more, but with 5-6 minutes a night, how much can you click offensively with having to sustain defensive responsibilities leftover from the departure of Blair Betts?

IF Nedved keeps it up, I'd like to see the Rangers open with this roster:

Trade Prucha for a 2nd/3rd / or 7th defenseman / some prospect..etc.. remove his $1,6 million.

Naslund-Gomez-Zherdev
Dawes-Dubinsky-Drury
Voros-Nedved-Callahan
Sjostrom-Betts-Korpikoski

Staal-Rosi
Redden-Girardi
Mara-Kalinin
Potter

Lundy
Vally

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 01:21 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Staal View Post
The question shouldn't be "should Nedved replace Betts on the fourth?". The question should be "should Dubi move up, Dru to the wing, to make room for Nedved on the third?".. and that's more likely.

Nedved doesn't have to replace Betts to make the team, and if it were that way, I think Rangers brass would keep Betts.

For a team that lost 3 major PK'ers last season in Shanahan, Straka, Avery - losing the best forward out there for it in Betts, would be bad. Sure that line would offensively click more, but with 5-6 minutes a night, how much can you click offensively with having to sustain defensive responsibilities leftover from the departure of Blair Betts?

IF Nedved keeps it up, I'd like to see the Rangers open with this roster:

Trade Prucha for a 2nd/3rd / or 7th defenseman / some prospect..etc.. remove his $1,6 million.

Naslund-Gomez-Zherdev
Dawes-Dubinsky-Drury
Voros-Nedved-Callahan

Staal-Rosi
Redden-Girardi
Mara-Kalinin
Potter

Lundy
Vally
switch those two around. Voros should not be anywhere near the third line. He is a marginal NHL 4th liner, nothing more. and by the way what happened to Fritsche.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 01:22 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
i wouldn't worry about the pk...i mean really all of these guys could see pk time

gomez
drury
cally
dubi
korpedo
nasland
don't forget about Fritsche and Sjostrom if they make the team.

Old
09-23-2008, 01:37 PM
Fletch

It's getting real interesting with Nedved...

I mean here's a guy who did not play in the NHL last season. He scored 11 points in 14 AHL games (4 goals) the prior season in addition to 2 goals in 40 NHL games. The prior season he scored 25 points in 53 games. So since 2004, he has played in 93 NHL games, scored 9 goals and had 28 assists for 40 points. And, he turns 38. So people are all jacked because of a couple nice preseason games and the fact that he scored 20 goals in Prague last season (although he scored 22 goals in the season before the lockout and came out not looking so great).

While I can't say what will ultimately happen with Nedved, I can't sit here and tell you definitively that he would be better than Betts on the fourth line. Two preseason games isn't enough for me given what he's done the last three NHL seasons, which is virtually nothing good. Also, I keep remembering Esa Tikkanen part 3. Great preseason then 3 points in nearly 40 games while playing with Gretzky and Kovalev.

What I will add is that just because there are others who can play the PK (namely Drury) it doesn't mean they should be over-loaded with PK time, especially a guy like Drury who wore out quickly last season in late-November. Further, while I do believe that there needs to be more scoring from the fourth line if it's going to get more than three minutes per night, I don't think what's needed is a great, or even good, playmaker for that to happen. It's the fourth line. They get their goals by putting the puck on net and crashing the net. There isn't really a need to have some fancy passing on the fourth line to get the goals. Betts scored about 8 goals a couple seasons ago. No reason he can't do that again. Also, on an odd occasion, Renney can throw Betts out against top lines here and there to keep them away from other lines. You can feel comfortable you'll get an honest shift and more often than not a goal against will not occur. There won't be a goal for either, but I'm not advocating them playing 10+ minutes per night. 4-6, 5-7 is more like it.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 01:38 PM
Fletch

rag...

I heard Fritsche isn't the greatest PKer out there. Not great with the puck and not good along the boards. He didn't kill much in Columbus, so it may not be a forgone conclusion that he's a PKer on the Rangers.`

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 01:41 PM
MorrisWanchuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Staal View Post

Naslund-Gomez-Zherdev
Dawes-Dubinsky-Drury
Voros-Nedved-Callahan
I agree with all 3 of these points. Dubs has to be on the 2nd line - no question for me. For the fourth line Betts + 2 speedy wingers. I don't think we need to carry Colton Orr - this team isn't light weight. Whilst Prucha looks good sometimes and may 'come good', I don't think so - he should have been traded last year when we could have got something more for him.

MorrisWanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 01:49 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
I heard Fritsche isn't the greatest PKer out there. Not great with the puck and not good along the boards. He didn't kill much in Columbus, so it may not be a forgone conclusion that he's a PKer on the Rangers.`
for some reason I thought I read somewhere that he was a good pker... my bad.

Old
09-23-2008, 01:51 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
for some reason I thought I read somewhere that he was a good pker... my bad.
So did I, after looking at the stats, apparantely not so:

SH TOI/G - 0:33

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 02:23 PM
NYR Viper

if there is any forward in camp right now who should make the team who played in hartford last season it has to be one of korpikoski or parenteau....it all depends on the spot needed....more offense?....parenteau.....more defensively responsible/pker korpikoski......parenteau in my eyes is the player the rangers need....someone who can bring some creativity to the third line and even out some more scoring....

naslund-gomez-zherdev
dawes-drury-callahan
fritsche-dubinsky-parenteau
voros-betts-sjostrom/orr

fritsche and voros can be switched but i feel like parenteau has the offensive skills to help set plays up on that third line.....the rangers are looking to score goals and this guy has done so in the AHL for years

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 09:10 AM
Nich

anybody else curious how PA would look with dawes and drury?

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote