HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Denis Savard under the Gun.

Old
09-22-2008, 07:43 AM
SimonTemplar

vCash: 500
Is Denis Savard under the Gun.

Got thinking about this topic wondering how long before Tallon gets pushed from above if they start out slow. Will the hierarchy pull the curtain on Savard if they start out the first 20 under .500. Or will .600 play be enough for him to survive.

I just have this feeling the heat-lamps are turned up high now with a lot of high priced talent and expectations.

Does Savard survive X-Mas if they are a .500 club. I don't think he does and for his sake this team better perform or his neck is on the line.

Since enough of his former players take up residence I think Dale Hunter would be a good fit next season if they make changes. He just won his 300 game in record time.

Thoughts....

SimonTemplar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2008, 08:57 AM
not dominator

I think they get the full season to play with, of course the fans might start calling for his head if there is a slow start. Hell some of them are already calling for his head and it hasn't even started. I'd say give him the full season, if they don't make the playoffs show him the door. Same goes for Tallon.

not dominator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2008, 10:42 AM
Tommy Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by not dominator View Post
I think they get the full season to play with, of course the fans might start calling for his head if there is a slow start. Hell some of them are already calling for his head and it hasn't even started. I'd say give him the full season, if they don't make the playoffs show him the door. Same goes for Tallon.
Ditto but I think realistically, if they are contending for a playoff spot and, depending on injuries, Savard will stay. Tallon won't be going anywhere either.

Tommy Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2008, 11:44 AM
Bring Back GLR
Commit to the Indian

He'll definitely have the whole year, and I would probably say all of next year, but it really depends on what they do in the playoffs. If the Hawks are a 100pt team this year, and get bounced easily in the first round everyone will just say the Hawks are a talented team but inexperienced in the post-season. Which is totally true.

If they follow up with a division crown the following season, and get bounced in the second round, then you'll see a coaching change.

Bring Back GLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2008, 05:58 PM
salty justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring Back GLR View Post
He'll definitely have the whole year, and I would probably say all of next year, but it really depends on what they do in the playoffs. If the Hawks are a 100pt team this year, and get bounced easily in the first round everyone will just say the Hawks are a talented team but inexperienced in the post-season. Which is totally true.

If they follow up with a division crown the following season, and get bounced in the second round, then you'll see a coaching change.
I disagree. This is the final year of his contract and coaches are typically given 2 year deals. If the Hawks don't make the show this season then I think he is gone. Unless they can somehow make the 4th or 5th seed no one is going to expect them to win a series yet.

salty justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 08:10 AM
SimonTemplar

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty justice View Post
I disagree. This is the final year of his contract and coaches are typically given 2 year deals. If the Hawks don't make the show this season then I think he is gone. Unless they can somehow make the 4th or 5th seed no one is going to expect them to win a series yet.

I was thinking along the same lines as salty justice. Your shelf life as Coach now have never been shorter at any time in hockey history. What might be interesting or come into play is Hartsburg in Ottawa, Deboer in Florida and the Mem Cup Champion coach from Spokane also in the bigs now. If they get more out of their teams than expected we may see owners looking back to junior again for fresh talent. I used Hunters name because so many prospects have landed in Chicago, players he developed and that will not be over-looked by the Owners.

Although I think Hunter waits for Washington with Boudreau doing a good job at this time. But now his expectations have climbed through the roof and one bad season it's over.

Savard has some luck on his side as well, The Alumni would all side with him on stuff so he and Tallon are probably standing on firm ground today. As long as he gets them out of the gate quick.

SimonTemplar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 12:21 PM
Bring Back GLR
Commit to the Indian

There's no question the Hawks will make the playoffs, I'm already on to what they will do in them this year and next. The Hawks performance in the playoffs will most likely dictate Savard's future. His job is more than safe this year, regardless of how they start for the regular season.

As far as teams to worry about in the future. I'm not worried about the Red Wings, their success is fleeting. Hossa is a rental, Lidstrom is pushing 40 and the goalie situation is very fluky at best right now. I worry about the Kings and the Oilers. The Kings have a young talent pool that is right their with ours, and the Oilers have plenty of young skill.

Bring Back GLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 01:57 PM
not dominator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring Back GLR View Post
As far as teams to worry about in the future. I'm not worried about the Red Wings, their success is fleeting. Hossa is a rental, Lidstrom is pushing 40 and the goalie situation is very fluky at best right now. I worry about the Kings and the Oilers. The Kings have a young talent pool that is right their with ours, and the Oilers have plenty of young skill.
People have been saying the Wings are done for years now though, I think losing Lidstrom is going to make a big difference but there is no way I'd write them off like that.

not dominator is offline   Reply With Quote