HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

O'Sullivan SIGNED! - 3 Years / $2.925MM per year

Old
09-23-2008, 07:00 PM
MePutPuckInNet

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by adevandry View Post
Then pay him based on one year and include performance bonuses that will escalate if POS scores 30G/70P.

Why is this so difficult?
Because O'Sullivan's not eligible for any performance based bonuses. And because Lombardi refuses to sign him to a short term deal.

MePutPuckInNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 08:44 PM
no name

Once again Lombardi uses the press for the sympathy vote. Where have we seen this before? I say he doesn't make it through the year. Cammy has to be laughing his ass off right now sitting at a winning team with a great line and defensemen feeding him the puck.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 09:38 PM
KrazyTea*

He'll be signed, they have to make Cap bottom anyways, but somebody hurry this up.

KrazyTea* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 09:56 PM
kingshockey

I wonder what O'Sullivan thinks will happen to his chance of getting a decent contract if he holds out this year. Even if he plays over seas this year and comes back to take the Kings to arbitration next summer, what comps will he get then with a year removed from the NHL? He certainly won't receive what he thinks he is worth through arbitration and then he becomes a bargain for the Kings as they can choose to elect a two year deal due to a player elected arbitration. With the kids progressing another year he then become expendible and can be dealt at the deadline with another year remaining on his contract. I'd assume he could net a pretty good return.

Hopefully O'Sullivan realizes this sooner than later.

kingshockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 10:55 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

O'Sullivan update

"The Patrick O'Sullivan saga continues, with the Kings and the restricted free-agent forward still far apart on the financial aspects of a new contract.

However, the Kings did have contact with O'Sullivan's agent, Pat Morris, after several days of silence.

"We talked today and will talk again tomorrow," Jeff Solomon, the Kings' director of hockey operations and legal affairs, said Monday night.

"Any dialogue is progress.""

http://www.latimes.com/sports/hockey...0,501477.story

TonySCV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 11:01 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
"Any dialogue is progress.""
Not necessarily true....especially if that dialog includes a bunch of words that would end up being asterisks on this site.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 11:12 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
I don't understand why there would be "several" days of silence from either party? How do you negotiate a new contract without talking?

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 11:18 PM
PCLoadLetter*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
I don't understand why there would be "several" days of silence from either party? How do you negotiate a new contract without talking?
It happens when both sides want to appear to be firmly holding their ground. Kind of a "Take it or leave it" stance but not quite so firm, since there's still time left.

Last edited by TonySCV: 09-24-2008 at 12:57 AM. Reason: Inappropriate comment removed
PCLoadLetter* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 01:19 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingshockey View Post
I wonder what O'Sullivan thinks will happen to his chance of getting a decent contract if he holds out this year. Even if he plays over seas this year and comes back to take the Kings to arbitration next summer, what comps will he get then with a year removed from the NHL? He certainly won't receive what he thinks he is worth through arbitration and then he becomes a bargain for the Kings as they can choose to elect a two year deal due to a player elected arbitration. With the kids progressing another year he then become expendible and can be dealt at the deadline with another year remaining on his contract. I'd assume he could net a pretty good return.

Hopefully O'Sullivan realizes this sooner than later.
I may be wrong, but he will have needed to play in order to be eligible for arbitration. He will have been still out of his ELC, which means he would only be eligible for arbitration after his second contract, as long as he is still eligible to be an RFA.

This is pathetic this is still even going on. The Kings are becoming like the Detroit Lions of the NHL. So much for the verbiage Dean Lombardi gave us that "this was going according to plan." I don't think the plan included holding out in training camp. According to IB's site, the Kings are STILL not up to the cap floor, but Ersberg and Ellis are not on the Kings roster according to this site, and the two of them STILL wouldn't make up the difference. They're probably going to have to carry Hickey or someone else they would rather see have playing time in juniors or Manchester unless something happens before then. This includes Bernier on the Kings roster. They're going to have to carry 25 guys on the roster just to make the floor.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 03:39 AM
Mr Irreverent
Put me in coach!

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
I may be wrong, but he will have needed to play in order to be eligible for arbitration. He will have been still out of his ELC, which means he would only be eligible for arbitration after his second contract, as long as he is still eligible to be an RFA.

This is pathetic this is still even going on. The Kings are becoming like the Detroit Lions of the NHL. So much for the verbiage Dean Lombardi gave us that "this was going according to plan." I don't think the plan included holding out in training camp. According to IB's site, the Kings are STILL not up to the cap floor, but Ersberg and Ellis are not on the Kings roster according to this site, and the two of them STILL wouldn't make up the difference. They're probably going to have to carry Hickey or someone else they would rather see have playing time in juniors or Manchester unless something happens before then. This includes Bernier on the Kings roster. They're going to have to carry 25 guys on the roster just to make the floor.
Chillax broseph, Deano is going to pick up a few overpaid vets by the time the season starts. We still have 2.5 weeks.

Mr Irreverent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 07:48 AM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by TearsOFaClown View Post
Chillax broseph, Deano is going to pick up a few overpaid vets by the time the season starts. We still have 2.5 weeks.
Today = September 24

Opening Night = October 9

Days between these two dates = 15 days

Not to mention it would be moronic for any GM to wait until October 8th to have his roster set. This needs to be done ASAP. If Dean suspects that O'Sullivan will not be signed in the next two weeks then he needs to implement his contingency plan today. If Dean is planning on bringing in a veteran defenseman would it not benefit said defenseman to actually participate in training camp instead of thrusting them into the lineup opening night?

Old
09-24-2008, 08:27 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Right now the process of bringing in a veteran defenseman is to thrust as deep as possible into one Brian Burke, if you know what I mean.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 08:51 AM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
It's called playing chicken. Seeing who calls the other first

Gentle Ben Kenobi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 09:02 AM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Right now the process of bringing in a veteran defenseman is to thrust as deep as possible into one Brian Burke, if you know what I mean.
Ouch....not a pretty image.

Old
09-24-2008, 09:13 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidward View Post
Today = September 24

Opening Night = October 9

Days between these two dates = 15 days

Not to mention it would be moronic for any GM to wait until October 8th to have his roster set. This needs to be done ASAP. If Dean suspects that O'Sullivan will not be signed in the next two weeks then he needs to implement his contingency plan today. If Dean is planning on bringing in a veteran defenseman would it not benefit said defenseman to actually participate in training camp instead of thrusting them into the lineup opening night?
No way buddy, all the best GM's wait til the last minute to fix very important areas of their team. You need to relax until 15 days from now, then you can panic.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 10:47 AM
Builditagain*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
No way buddy, all the best GM's wait til the last minute to fix very important areas of their team. You need to relax until 15 days from now, then you can panic.
Bernanke and Paulson want to throw money at it,and I agree with them.Unless they are broke its really easy pay the money you Cheap Underachieving AEG basturds.

Builditagain* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 10:53 AM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

I think it would be smart to address the defense issue ASAP so 1) the player can play in camp.. I mean isn't this a good time for young players (not just the ones expected to make the team) to be learning from veterans? and 2) Patty O's camp will lose the "you need me to reach the CAP floor" chip.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
"The Patrick O'Sullivan saga continues, with the Kings and the restricted free-agent forward still far apart on the financial aspects of a new contract.
Does that mean they have agreed on a term? Or is that lawyer jargon for we are no where near signing a contract? What else could they possibly be negotiating besides "financial aspects"?

Last edited by Buddy The Elf: 09-24-2008 at 11:14 AM.
Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 11:21 AM
Builditagain*

Probably going over seas now, can't wait any longer for the Kings nonsense.Gotta stay active.

Builditagain* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 11:35 AM
Chruceg

Let me begin by saying that I honestly want O'Sullivan in camp. I like rooting for him and I think he will be a good player. That being said I want to offer a train of thought.

Dean has repeatedly stated that he believes championship teams need to be built from the net out. He's made numerous references to competitive teams have a strong "defensive core." Using examples of Dallas late '90s (Hatcher, Zubov, Matvichuck, etc) and New Jersey late '90s as well (Stevens, Rafalski, Niedermayer, etc). Nobody is going to argue that the current Kings defense belongs in the same discussion as those players. The Kings do however, have a stable of prospects that could potentially turn into such a group. Perhaps Lombardi considers the offense to be fine as currently constituted or he sees the Kings current offensive abilities as irrelevant to his long term goal. Scoring doesn't mean much if you can't stop the puck. If you grant these points then I offer the following corollary:

Lombardi couldn't care less about signing O'Sullivan unless it's on an extremely team friendly contract. He doesn't want to overpay by a dime because he wants to lock up the defensemen who he sees as being potential studs. He's also afraid that by over paying a guy early in his career he is going to have to overpay every guy on the team further hurting his future cap flexibility. He doesn't see the cap floor as a problem because lets face it offer any player enough money on a one year deal and they'll show up and play.

I've been thinking about this the past couple of days and it makes me sick how much it makes sense. I can't stand it and it's frustrating as hell but it makes sense. Personally I don't like the idea at all. This fabled time of when the Kings have this great crop of defensemen needing to get paid is fun to think about but it's not here and we don't know if it will every arrive. Should the Kings just languish until it happens? I say no. You have to make a shot every single year. Do what you can to make the team as good as possible this year because you have no idea what the future holds. I'm not saying go out and buy a ton of free agents every year. For every Philadelphia there are teams the spent and were terrible. (See: Bruins, Boston 05-06 and Penguins, Pittsburgh 05-06) There has to be a medium somewhere. Draft well, build your stable, but don't be afraid of any and all free agents ... restricted or unrestricted.

Chruceg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 11:45 AM
KingsFan67

hey all....long time reader,

I have been told by reliable sources that the two deal from the kings have been as follows

2 years @ $1.8/yr

3 years @ $2.1/yr

The kings play in Denver tonight I believe and O'Sullivan is staying there for the time being. I would suspect Hextall or Lombardi will be seeking some face to face time.

KingsFan67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 11:47 AM
KingPuckChoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chruceg View Post
Let me begin by saying that I honestly want O'Sullivan in camp. I like rooting for him and I think he will be a good player. That being said I want to offer a train of thought.

Dean has repeatedly stated that he believes championship teams need to be built from the net out. He's made numerous references to competitive teams have a strong "defensive core." Using examples of Dallas late '90s (Hatcher, Zubov, Matvichuck, etc) and New Jersey late '90s as well (Stevens, Rafalski, Niedermayer, etc). Nobody is going to argue that the current Kings defense belongs in the same discussion as those players. The Kings do however, have a stable of prospects that could potentially turn into such a group. Perhaps Lombardi considers the offense to be fine as currently constituted or he sees the Kings current offensive abilities as irrelevant to his long term goal. Scoring doesn't mean much if you can't stop the puck. If you grant these points then I offer the following corollary:

Lombardi couldn't care less about signing O'Sullivan unless it's on an extremely team friendly contract. He doesn't want to overpay by a dime because he wants to lock up the defensemen who he sees as being potential studs. He's also afraid that by over paying a guy early in his career he is going to have to overpay every guy on the team further hurting his future cap flexibility. He doesn't see the cap floor as a problem because lets face it offer any player enough money on a one year deal and they'll show up and play.

I've been thinking about this the past couple of days and it makes me sick how much it makes sense. I can't stand it and it's frustrating as hell but it makes sense. Personally I don't like the idea at all. This fabled time of when the Kings have this great crop of defensemen needing to get paid is fun to think about but it's not here and we don't know if it will every arrive. Should the Kings just languish until it happens? I say no. You have to make a shot every single year. Do what you can to make the team as good as possible this year because you have no idea what the future holds. I'm not saying go out and buy a ton of free agents every year. For every Philadelphia there are teams the spent and were terrible. (See: Bruins, Boston 05-06 and Penguins, Pittsburgh 05-06) There has to be a medium somewhere. Draft well, build your stable, but don't be afraid of any and all free agents ... restricted or unrestricted.
we know, this time, the blame is on O'Sullivan seeking such a disgusting contract based on 1 good season...it really sucks, and i thought O'Sullivan was a player with heart...

so O'Sullivan to Anaheim for Bobby Ryan & Mathieu Schneider

KingPuckChoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 11:53 AM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsFan67 View Post
hey all....long time reader,

I have been told by reliable sources that the two deal from the kings have been as follows

2 years @ $1.8/yr

3 years @ $2.1/yr

The kings play in Denver tonight I believe and O'Sullivan is staying there for the time being. I would suspect Hextall or Lombardi will be seeking some face to face time.
If those figures are correct.....then I think that O'Sullivan is somewhat justified in not considering them. I think the figures should be closer to.....

2 years @ $2.5/yr

3 years @ $3.5/yr

I see a pretty significant difference in what both sides are coming up with....that is of course....assuming that your numbers are accurate.

Old
09-24-2008, 11:54 AM
kynen

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllTheKingsMen View Post
we know, this time, the blame is on O'Sullivan seeking such a disgusting contract based on 1 good season...it really sucks, and i thought O'Sullivan was a player with heart...
No we don't. It's all speculation and hearsay. In fact, we may never know...

kynen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 11:54 AM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllTheKingsMen View Post
Do you have evidence to support this accusation? Or is it pure speculation?

Old
09-24-2008, 11:56 AM
KingPuckChoo

well why is he not signed ? Lombardi made offers to him that's a fact

KingPuckChoo is offline   Reply With Quote