HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ben Maxwell

Old
09-23-2008, 11:33 PM
GoMarkov79

vCash: 500
Ben Maxwell

What do you guys think of Ben Maxwell? I think he can be as good as Tomas Plekanec in a few years. He has good speed, great vision but he lack some size. Good pick by Timmins in the second round.

Last edited by GoMarkov79: 09-24-2008 at 12:09 AM.
GoMarkov79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 11:37 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoMarkov79 View Post
What do you guys think of Ben Maxwell? I think he can be as good as Thomas Plekanec in a few years. He has good speed, great vision but he lack some size. Good pick by Timmins in the second round.
Looks like an outstanding pick; but thats after two preseason games.

I don't think he plays the same game as Tomas though... better comparison stylistically would Brad Richards.

He's gonna centre one of the top two lines in Hamilton this year, and the 20 minutes a game will be good for him.

He's been unlucky with some real freak injuries... lets hope he can stay on the ice. Thats the only question mark i have with him right now. I see him developping into a future top 2 centre for us; which is big, cause i don't see anyone else in our prospect pool or on our team with that potential right now.

The pleks-Maxwell one two punch will be very important when koivu and lang are no longer here.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 09-24-2008 at 12:49 AM.
Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 11:39 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
I'll wait until I see how he performs in Hamilton. That team should be good this year

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 11:43 PM
Chomsky

Lack size? He's 6'1 for christ's sake. Okay he needs to add some muscles, but who doesn't...

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 11:47 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Maxwell's been good last year in preseason and this year once again. This kid will be something good, and could be better if he can gain some weight.

The kid is close but I would probably expect him to stay 1 full healthy year in the AHL before challenging for real. If Chipchura ends up in Hamilton and depending what type of centermen we will need, chances are it's Kyle that will be the first callup. But then it all depends on how he takes his "demotion" and how dedicated Maxwell is to comeback in the NHL.

But I love what the kid is showing right now and always had confidence in him to do so and I'm glad he's showing what I thought he'd be showing. I can't eat crow all the time.....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 11:48 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
Looks like an outstanding pick; but thats after two preseason games.
But we can be optimist, because since his first NHL camp, he impressed the coaching staff, which is impressive. Also, I don't think he's far from the big league. Like you say, the kay for him is staying healthy.

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 11:49 PM
Clumsyhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
Lack size? He's 6'1 for christ's sake. Okay he needs to add some muscles, but who doesn't...
I agree, he was much skinnier last year. He's now 6'1, 190 lbs, which is a good size for a Centreman. He could be our first top 2 Centre over 6' since Damphousse. Definitely the best rookie at the camp so far.

Clumsyhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 12:16 AM
Crusher20

Send a message via AIM to Crusher20 Send a message via Yahoo to Crusher20
I have a feeling Chipchura is getting out of the small picture.. may be part of the big picture?? Traded.. i have been far from impressed with Lapierre who is bigger but doesnt play the way he should.. imo.

Crusher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 12:46 AM
Pr3Va1L

I liked him alot!

Much more offensive flair than Paciretty, he had some really good shots out there!

Pr3Va1L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 12:53 AM
Erika

Ben Maxwell... All I can say is WOW !!!! This guy looks like Brad Richards version 2.0!! Awesome rushes, Smooth Smooth skating ability, good in his own zone. He is now my favorite Habs prospect by far !! I can see him battling for a spot as soon as next year. He should dominate in Hamilton with Pacioretty this year. Most importantly, he needs to stay healthy.

Ben Maxwell will be better than Kyle Chipchura, mark my words !!

Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 12:53 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
But we can be optimist, because since his first NHL camp, he impressed the coaching staff, which is impressive. Also, I don't think he's far from the big league. Like you say, the kay for him is staying healthy.
We can be optomists... but just like I was telling people to calm down about Chipchura's bad scrimmage on Sunday or about the game vs Boston last night, I'm gonna tell people to keep in mind that its only two preseason games.

I'm happy with what Maxwell has shown so far... but I like to keep an even keel... Not too high on the highs... not too low on the lows. Especially based on limited information; ie seeing a few WHL games of his... a few preseason games over 2 years; and some other posters reports on other games they've seen.

I'm not prepared to go overboard.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 01:07 AM
Habs

Reminds me of my ex-girlfriend.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 01:11 AM
NewHabsEra*

He doesnt have Pleks' quickness, Pleks do everything so fast.. I think a better comparison would be Brad Richards..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 08:20 AM
ed ible*

I like the looks of this Maxwell kid...............So calm, quick and smooth.........Give him a couple good linemates and we have a solid future 2nd line center.

ed ible* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 08:46 AM
Mustafa*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
George Laraque does not need to had muscles, muscle it to George what baby fat is to former Gui Lats.

Mustafa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 09:46 AM
couz

I think its been very well known that he's a solid prospect, its just a health issue with him.

All I know is Chips is in big trouble right now, he's about to get passed by another center on the depth chart.

couz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 09:47 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Maxwell plays more of a cerebral game. His defensive game is top notch. He is a better passer than Tomas but Tomas may be the better shooter. He maybe doesnt have quite the acceleration but he doesnt need it as his top end speed is great and he plays a thinking game. His hockey sense is top notch. His size is almost the same as Kevin Lowe, CChelios were in their prime. Ive stood beside all of them. Its interesting that the observers at the game were saying that he was a shoot first sort of player. In Junior he was a pass pass fall back sort of player. The skill and smarts are there. Think Andrew Cassals plus 20 pounds plus speed with a shot. I would like to see him play with some firewagon all out offensive players with skill eg Maxpac, Kost bros, Kovy, Tanguay etc. A line of Kovy, Tanguay and BMax would be nice to watch and he could be the defensive conscience. He does the little things very well. If he plays with a gunner he would pile up the points. Ive also seen him rush the puck and fire it full flight. On one occasion he reminded me of Guy lol. If he can develop an idea of his role on offense and plays hard he is a keeper but he has always appeared to be less than assertive offensively. That could be because the Habs thinkers wanted him to develop his D game.

Last edited by toshiro: 09-24-2008 at 10:03 AM.
toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 09:50 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr3Va1L View Post
I liked him alot!

Much more offensive flair than Paciretty, he had some really good shots out there!
Me too, I found whenever he was on the ice something exciting happened. I'd like to see him play a full year without injury *knocks on wood* in Hamilton.

As for MaxPac...I didn't really notice him too much. He is faster than I thought and drove to the net on a few plays quite well. A year in Hamilton getting big minutes will do him quite well.

09-24-2008, 09:51 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by couz View Post
I think its been very well known that he's a solid prospect, its just a health issue with him.

All I know is Chips is in big trouble right now, he's about to get passed by another center on the depth chart.
Don't worry for Chipchura. He will never have the same role on a team than Maxwell. Two different players. And next year, if only one of them can make the team, it will be Chipchura because we have get Maxwell ready for top two line action in a near future. And anyways, Maxwell might not be fully ready in a year. Like Beaker said, he's just starting in the pros...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
Me too, I found whenever he was on the ice something exciting happened. I'd like to see him play a full year without injury *knocks on wood* in Hamilton.

As for MaxPac...I didn't really notice him too much. He is faster than I thought and drove to the net on a few plays quite well. A year in Hamilton getting big minutes will do him quite well.
Pax was pretty noticeable out there. He needs to work on his one on one situation, but that's normal...it's a big step from college to professional...

Last edited by Beakermania*: 09-29-2008 at 04:06 PM.
Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 09:55 AM
Habitants

ben maxwell and Maxpac the combo of the future??

they are awsome i will call them the

MaxDuo or DuoMax !!

Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 09:56 AM
7th Player

Pierre Mcguire in 2 years

"Ben MAXWELL is an ablsolute MONSTER, he moves , he skates, he dangles and he's even got a shot! HE'S A MONSTERRRR.
Back to you GORD"

7th Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 09:57 AM
David_99

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASSAF HABS AWISS View Post
Pierre Mcguire in 2 years

"Ben MAXWELL is an ablsolute MONSTER, he moves , he skates, he dangles and he's even got a shot! HE'S A MONSTERRRR.
Back to you GORD"
You forgot a few "WHAAAAMO!!!!"s in your sentence

David_99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 10:00 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoMarkov79 View Post
What do you guys think of Ben Maxwell? I think he can be as good as Tomas Plekanec in a few years. He has good speed, great vision but he lack some size. Good pick by Timmins in the second round.
Is he not 6'1" 190lbs?

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 10:01 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
At the very least BMax would center a D line similar to what Carbs did. He is very good defenively. Centering Laps and Begin wouldnt be so bad. They would corner the opposition with speed with BMax adding some O spice. Laps would score a few goals as well lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Maxwell's been good last year in preseason and this year once again. This kid will be something good, and could be better if he can gain some weight.

The kid is close but I would probably expect him to stay 1 full healthy year in the AHL before challenging for real. If Chipchura ends up in Hamilton and depending what type of centermen we will need, chances are it's Kyle that will be the first callup. But then it all depends on how he takes his "demotion" and how dedicated Maxwell is to comeback in the NHL.

But I love what the kid is showing right now and always had confidence in him to do so and I'm glad he's showing what I thought he'd be showing. I can't eat crow all the time.....

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 10:05 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
Pax was pretty noticeable out there. He needs to work on his one on one situation, but that's normal...it's a big step from college to professional...
Oh I didn't mean that as an insult. I think he played a solid game, but he's not ready to make the jump to the NHL like some posters here stated.

But I like his work along the boards, and like I already mentioned. I was impressed with how fast he skated, and his ability to drive to the net.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote