HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pre-season G3: 9/23 New York Rangers @ Tampa Bay Lightning 7:30PM MSG

Old
09-23-2008, 10:32 PM
John Torturella

vCash: 500
Im not feeling the Naslund-Gomez-Zherdev line. It doesn't look like Gomez and Zherdev compliment eachother very well.

As has been brought up previously, they both like to hold the puck.

We have not seen Gomez rush the puck end to end, one of his biggest strengths.

Instead there are all kinds of crazy passes which may be detrimental.

If you put Zherdev with Drury, you can have Z carry the puck up the ice, setting up Drury, who is a pure sniper. I dont know about the other wings, but I guess you could stick Dawes on the 1st and maybe Dubinsky on the 2nd wing.

I do like the Naslund-Gomez-Zherdev line on the powerplay though because they are unpredictable.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 10:34 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Saw the whole game. Barry Melrose playing 95 percent of his opening night lineup and Smith for 60 mins boggles my mind. Tampa was destroyed tonight by 75 percent AHL'ers. They still stink and will not even sniff the playoffs. I don't care if it's preseason or not:

1) Orr stinks. I am so sick of hearing Joe talk about his offseason conditioning. Orr playing at 200 percent is still 50 percent of what Lindy Ruff gave us. He's a goon and has a purpose on the team, but don't try to tease us like he'll morph into a young Owen Nolan

2) Sanguinetti: With all this talk about his offense, he is much better defensively than I thought. But I don't think he is NHL ready. Hartford should do him well.

3) Gomez still fiddles around with the puck too much near the offensive blue line on the pp. I wish he'd stop.

4) Redden is an excellent passer. Exactly what we needed.

5) Brooks is 100 percent wrong about Zherdev. He reminds me of Kovalev (the good times)

6) Parenteau.......2nd best player in camp after dubinsky. Love this kid already.

7) Kalinin is a slight upgrade over Malik. I can deal with him.

8) We finally found a player who plays deeper in the crease than Henrik. In fact, Wiikman plays 3/4 in the goal.

9) Jessiman has some skill, and he can turn into some decent trade bait. Does he have a tic?

10) Betts will not score until three years from now. His drought is longer than Mark Osborne's.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 10:38 PM
Gardner McKay
#4parsley

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenTurcotte8 View Post
Saw the whole game. Barry Melrose playing 95 percent of his opening night lineup and Smith for 60 mins boggles my mind. Tampa was destroyed tonight by 75 percent AHL'ers. They still stink and will not even sniff the playoffs. I don't care if it's preseason or not:

1) Orr stinks. I am so sick of hearing Joe talk about his offseason conditioning. Orr playing at 200 percent is still 50 percent of what Lindy Ruff gave us. He's a goon and has a purpose on the team, but don't try to tease us like he'll morph into a young Owen Nolan

2) Sanguinetti: With all this talk about his offense, he is much better defensively than I thought. But I don't think he is NHL ready. Hartford should do him well.

3) Gomez still fiddles around with the puck too much near the offensive blue line on the pp. I wish he'd stop.

5) Brooks is 100 percent wrong about Zherdev. He reminds me of Kovalev (the good times)

6) Parenteau.......2nd best player in camp after dubinsky. Love this kid already.

8) We finally found a player who plays deeper in the crease than Henrik. In fact, Wiikman plays 3/4 in the goal.

9) Jessiman has some skill, and he can turn into some decent trade bait. Does he have a tic?

10) Betts will not score until three years from now. His drought is longer than Mark Osborne's.
11) Redden is horribly flat footed and has been caught 3 times in 3 games.

12) That supposed top line of Naslund Gomez Zherdev is not going to do DICK this season, they sorely lack any sort of minuscule chemistry.

13)Potter and Del Zotto have impressed the hell out of me. Honestly Potter has played much better then Kalinen IMO, not that im saying throw kalinen to the wolves, but...

09-23-2008, 10:44 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Dubinsky View Post

12) That supposed top line of Naslund Gomez Zherdev is not going to do DICK this season, they sorely lack any sort of minuscule chemistry.

13)Potter and Del Zotto have impressed the hell out of me. Honestly Potter has played much better then Kalinen IMO, not that im saying throw kalinen to the wolves, but...
huh? yer watchin the rangers right. the ny rangers?

they seemed to do ok tonite and last night in back to back pre season games.

gotta say im not sure what yer lookin for that indicates chemistry but so far those 3 have looked damn good.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 10:55 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

I hate that stupid 20 year old rule. Someone needs to get on that...where's Trevor Linden?

Actually, he retired...who is the new NHLPA Pres?

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 10:56 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenTurcotte8 View Post

Why do you comment on Orr? You are not even close to understand why he is needed. He has been 100000 % better this year so far and gess what I have watched a ton of pre seaso game already and the fighting aspect is way up. Please get it through your mind he is making the team

Dagoon44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 10:58 PM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

Drury- Dubinsky- Zherdev

that line will excel

poeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 10:58 PM
Gardner McKay
#4parsley

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
huh? yer watchin the rangers right. the ny rangers?

they seemed to do ok tonite and last night in back to back pre season games.

gotta say im not sure what yer lookin for that indicates chemistry but so far those 3 have looked damn good.
With what production? Hell 3/4 of the Rangers roster has looked great, but what have they produced?

At this point with the limited offense the Rangers have, the big guns have to produce, and since its against an half AHL line up, they should at least have ONE goal to account for...

Gardner McKay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 11:08 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
Why do you comment on Orr? You are not even close to understand why he is needed. He has been 100000 % better this year so far and gess what I have watched a ton of pre seaso game already and the fighting aspect is way up. Please get it through your mind he is making the team
1) A ton of preseason games? Wow. Funny because I have watched the only 3 head-to-head games played, and Orr looked rather plain. I must have missed the double secret preseason games against the Red Wings in which Orr broke Sittler's record.

2) The fighting aspect is way up? In 30 years of following hockey i don't think I ever heard anybody use that term before. Gotta remember that one.

3) If you actually read my post, you would see that I said a)he's a goon (which means he fights) and b) "HE HAS A PURPOSE"

I never said Orr didn't belong on the team, I just think he stinks.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 11:13 PM
NYReign

Well, I never pictured myself saying this since I hated the pick at the time, but does anyone think it might be interesting to carry Del Zotto for the first few games and see if he can keep this up? He has certainly proven me wrong, I was rooting all out for us to get John Carlson at 20 and was down on the pick solely out of blind disappointment but MDZ has shown me (and everyone else) a whole lot so far. I remember the Kings did this with their goalie Bernier last year. I believe the rule is you can keep a junior player up for 10 games and then you either have to send him to Juniors or keep him for the year. If he continues to impress, I'd certainly consider it at least for a few games, maybe we catch lightning in a bottle.

On the other players:
The top line looked good again but all three of them keep making that one extra pass and losing the puck which needs to stop immediately. Other than that, I was impressed again with the three of them together so if they can stop going for the fanciest goal and actually put it in the net, we might have something.

Goal not withstanding, Girardi was bad and I agree with Supersonic that he and Redden do not work together. I've been rooting for Staal-Redden and Rozsy-Girardi since the day we traded Tyutin and I think it's the next logical thing to try since this didn't work. I could be wrong but I'm 90% sure Redden played right D when he was with Chara? I think Rozsival should be able to get used to the left but if not, we have two left-handed players on the third pair so we can split it up like that. (Mara-Rozsival, Kalinin [or del Zotto ]-Girardi)

NYReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 11:20 PM
JerseyRangers

I saw bits and pieces of the game but from what I saw Del Zotto, Sangs and Potter all outplayed Kalinin by a wide margin. Give the few games we've seen Kalinin certainly hasn't earned a spot on this team. With Del Zotto I think you gotta give him 10 games in the NHL during regular season to see what happens. The way he is playing right now sending him to juniors is a waste of talent. Not totally out of the question that he can stick with the big club. Start the season with 7 d-men and see what happens!

JerseyRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 11:23 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

We NEED another top 6 forward.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 11:32 PM
FromDubiToZherdev*

Send a message via AIM to FromDubiToZherdev* Send a message via MSN to FromDubiToZherdev*
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Trade Jessiman and build from that

FromDubiToZherdev* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 11:34 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Just gotta get creative, without overpaying.

Radulov could be an option, if he is indeed serious about returning to the NHL.

Zherdev is supposedly his best friend.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 11:41 PM
NYR Viper

jessiman, jamtin and parenteau, while all older players really looked good in this game....sjostrom with the goal looked good on that one play but other than that he just looked okay....sather needs to do SOMETHING!!....there are too many players here who should be playing in the nhl....there is no way the rangers could ice all of them before they turn 30......time to package some....they do no good rotting in the AHL and it kills both their careers and their value

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 12:13 AM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
You should really wait until the team plays as a whole before insisting that they "need" something. I think we might have enough depth to get by with the current roster

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 12:34 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Ok heres my thrid assessment.

Let me preface it with this, a lot of hockeys been played in the last week, so i can see how certain players looked a little out of gas.

This is a preseason game guys with HALF of the team. Why dont we try seeing 3-5 games with the real squad before we jump off a bridge please.

That said, here we go.

Korpikoski had solid game IMO, he was in control, forcing the play and skating very well. He got off a few shots and also played well in the neutral and defensive zones. He's got a legit chance to make this team.

Parenteau - I've kinda avoided him because I dont think hell make the team no matter what. I dont know why i feel that way, because hes played better than most of the hopefuls out there. But something rubs me the wrong way about this kid. Dont know why. Ill give him credit though for two pretty well played games.

Anisimov had a better start and was more active around the net. It seemed like he needed to get some of the first game jitters out of the way. He still needs some work, hes not ready just yet. A full season in the AHL is in his future.

Jamtin and Jessman - Jamtin reminds me a little bit of ex-ranger Andreas Johansson. But he didnt do enough to impress me. He's not even on the bubble if you ask me. Same goes for Jessiman. Hes just too slow and lunbering for the NHL. If he ever makes it hes got to bully his way through and play a power game. Too many times do you see him skating sideways or trying to regain his balance, despite all the work he did this summer.

Naslund - Gomez - Zherdev - hmm. Flashes of brillance and flashes of disorientation. I gotta give them more time to get it together. Its 2 games. Zherdev looked alright, but now i want to see him finish. In fact I want to see that line finish. But its early yet, and im going to give them the benefit of the doubt. I still think going forward that Zherdev still might be a better option with Drury as his center.

Sjostrom - He got the message tonight. Totally turned around his camp IMO, and i made that distinction before he got the goal. His speed was there. The kid can ****ing skate man. He was all over the ice and did an excellent job on a few PK's taking the man out. This is what they need from Sjostrom. HE definitely put himself back into contention for a spot with his performance tonight after a very lackluster first game.

Betts- Love the guy, hell be the 4th line center, but if he could just ****ing score this team would be that much better. He seriously gets 2 or 3 legit chances to rip off a goal and screws up or his shot gets blocked. If he ever gets an offensive game... ugh.

Byers - Meh. Was in the middle of things a little more this game, but i just dont see the speed and shiftiness from him that i would like if he were to be put in over a guy like Voros who is bigger and ALWAYS in the goalies face.

Del Zotto - why bother, hes going to juniors, but I actually like his game more than Sangs now and thats saying alot.

Girardi/Redden - look like a very good pair. Girardi had two little mistakes in another well played game, and added a nice goal to boot. I'm beginning to become a really big Girardi fan. He very quietly makes plays, hits, scores and moves the play along at the pace the Rangers need a defensman to do so. If hes on the PP again this year, look for even more points from him.
Redden is a great passer and solid defensman when hes in the zone. but when he has to turn to shorten a rush or catch up to a winger coming in from the outside, there really is a problem there IMO. A lot of the Ottawa fans were saying how he has slowed down a bit and the new game has kinda minimized some of his defensive ability. From what ive seen so far, getting blown away on two occasions in as many nights, i have my concerns. Otherwise the guy is steady and will probably make up for that shortcoming by getting TONS of shots on net unlike Tyutin did last year.

Potter - Makes the simple play, Goes to the man nicely, and seems to get out of tight jams behind the net well. But I still dont know whos going to be the #7 guy. I think its between him and Pock, but neither are blowing me away. Fahey doesnt have it IMO.

Wiikman - i like him. Two of those goals were perfecct shots, i thought he played decent. Vally wasnt tested at all and thank god he wasnt. He just seems slow this year for some reason.

Overall, a decent game a good tune up. Their worst preseason game out of the three though. I'm just about at the point were i really want the full squad to play a game so i can see how the lines roll and the intensity is. Gomez and Naslund seem to think that they were all over the Lightning and to a certain extent they were, thats good to hear at least meaning they are starting to feel comfortable toghether. Especially since they said those things after a loss. Gomes was not saying anything like that paired with Jagr all YEAR. Im excited to see yet ANOTHER game tomorrow, but after that i want to see the full squad. Come on lets go!

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 09-24-2008 at 12:45 AM.
HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 01:58 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYReign View Post
Well, I never pictured myself saying this since I hated the pick at the time, but does anyone think it might be interesting to carry Del Zotto for the first few games and see if he can keep this up? He has certainly proven me wrong, I was rooting all out for us to get John Carlson at 20 and was down on the pick solely out of blind disappointment but MDZ has shown me (and everyone else) a whole lot so far. I remember the Kings did this with their goalie Bernier last year. I believe the rule is you can keep a junior player up for 10 games and then you either have to send him to Juniors or keep him for the year. If he continues to impress, I'd certainly consider it at least for a few games, maybe we catch lightning in a bottle.
I think so. I think there is room for D's like him in the game right now.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 02:36 AM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYReign View Post
Goal not withstanding, Girardi was bad and I agree with Supersonic that he and Redden do not work together. I've been rooting for Staal-Redden and Rozsy-Girardi since the day we traded Tyutin and I think it's the next logical thing to try since this didn't work. I could be wrong but I'm 90% sure Redden played right D when he was with Chara? I think Rozsival should be able to get used to the left but if not, we have two left-handed players on the third pair so we can split it up like that. (Mara-Rozsival, Kalinin [or del Zotto ]-Girardi)
Redden was never paired with Chara, Phillips was, and Redden has always been the defenseman on the left side.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 07:05 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Dubinsky View Post
He's only played in 2 games

edit: More thoughts.

Definitely agree that Del Zotto has looked good. Really held his own against NHLers and didn't look like the pace of the game bothered him at all. Like I said in the thread about him, he seems to be playing loose and having fun, while Sanguinetti looks like he's playing tight and worried about making mistakes in his first training camp that means something. Hopefully Sanguinetti loosens up and gets more aggressive with the puck. He was good last night, but he just wasn't as aggressive with the puck as Del Zotto was.

Gomez's line. Eh, they're creating chances, but someone just needs to finish these chances. Hard for me to say if they should be broken up yet.

All the other lines were fairly unnoticeable. Korpikoski looks pretty solid, but I'd like to see him display more confidence with the puck and get a little quick with his first steps. Anisimov needs more time. Jessiman impressed me more than just about anyone else that I haven't commented on.

And Orr...well, I mean it's great that he's improved his skating at all, and it's a bit noticeable, but he's still Colton Orr and he still looks pretty much the same out there. His roster spot is going to be determined by the need for a guy who can punch things, not whether he can score goals (because he's not going to score any). If Renney feels he's still needed, Orr will be in, and he should do fine like he did last year. If Renney wants more offense out of that line, Orr could be sitting in the press box a lot.

Girardi and Redden need to get their crap together. Girardi needs to time his pinches better, and Redden needs to recognize forwards coming at him with speed better (though I remember seeing the Rangers get burned with this several times last year as well)

Not bad, considering it was basically AHLers outside of the top line and top defense (and the top defense was probably the worst pair)

Last edited by Levitate: 09-24-2008 at 07:12 AM.
Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 07:53 AM
NYReign

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
Redden was never paired with Chara, Phillips was, and Redden has always been the defenseman on the left side.
Thanks for clarifying that, I always thought they played together for whatever reason. Well that screws up my plan

Old
09-24-2008, 09:01 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Ok heres my thrid assessment.

Let me preface it with this, a lot of hockeys been played in the last week, so i can see how certain players looked a little out of gas.

This is a preseason game guys with HALF of the team. Why dont we try seeing 3-5 games with the real squad before we jump off a bridge please.

That said, here we go.

Korpikoski had solid game IMO, he was in control, forcing the play and skating very well. He got off a few shots and also played well in the neutral and defensive zones. He's got a legit chance to make this team.

Parenteau - I've kinda avoided him because I dont think hell make the team no matter what. I dont know why i feel that way, because hes played better than most of the hopefuls out there. But something rubs me the wrong way about this kid. Dont know why. Ill give him credit though for two pretty well played games.

Anisimov had a better start and was more active around the net. It seemed like he needed to get some of the first game jitters out of the way. He still needs some work, hes not ready just yet. A full season in the AHL is in his future.

Jamtin and Jessman - Jamtin reminds me a little bit of ex-ranger Andreas Johansson. But he didnt do enough to impress me. He's not even on the bubble if you ask me. Same goes for Jessiman. Hes just too slow and lunbering for the NHL. If he ever makes it hes got to bully his way through and play a power game. Too many times do you see him skating sideways or trying to regain his balance, despite all the work he did this summer.

Naslund - Gomez - Zherdev - hmm. Flashes of brillance and flashes of disorientation. I gotta give them more time to get it together. Its 2 games. Zherdev looked alright, but now i want to see him finish. In fact I want to see that line finish. But its early yet, and im going to give them the benefit of the doubt. I still think going forward that Zherdev still might be a better option with Drury as his center.

Sjostrom - He got the message tonight. Totally turned around his camp IMO, and i made that distinction before he got the goal. His speed was there. The kid can ****ing skate man. He was all over the ice and did an excellent job on a few PK's taking the man out. This is what they need from Sjostrom. HE definitely put himself back into contention for a spot with his performance tonight after a very lackluster first game.

Betts- Love the guy, hell be the 4th line center, but if he could just ****ing score this team would be that much better. He seriously gets 2 or 3 legit chances to rip off a goal and screws up or his shot gets blocked. If he ever gets an offensive game... ugh.

Byers - Meh. Was in the middle of things a little more this game, but i just dont see the speed and shiftiness from him that i would like if he were to be put in over a guy like Voros who is bigger and ALWAYS in the goalies face.

Del Zotto - why bother, hes going to juniors, but I actually like his game more than Sangs now and thats saying alot.

Girardi/Redden - look like a very good pair. Girardi had two little mistakes in another well played game, and added a nice goal to boot. I'm beginning to become a really big Girardi fan. He very quietly makes plays, hits, scores and moves the play along at the pace the Rangers need a defensman to do so. If hes on the PP again this year, look for even more points from him.
Redden is a great passer and solid defensman when hes in the zone. but when he has to turn to shorten a rush or catch up to a winger coming in from the outside, there really is a problem there IMO. A lot of the Ottawa fans were saying how he has slowed down a bit and the new game has kinda minimized some of his defensive ability. From what ive seen so far, getting blown away on two occasions in as many nights, i have my concerns. Otherwise the guy is steady and will probably make up for that shortcoming by getting TONS of shots on net unlike Tyutin did last year.

Potter - Makes the simple play, Goes to the man nicely, and seems to get out of tight jams behind the net well. But I still dont know whos going to be the #7 guy. I think its between him and Pock, but neither are blowing me away. Fahey doesnt have it IMO.

Wiikman - i like him. Two of those goals were perfecct shots, i thought he played decent. Vally wasnt tested at all and thank god he wasnt. He just seems slow this year for some reason.

Overall, a decent game a good tune up. Their worst preseason game out of the three though. I'm just about at the point were i really want the full squad to play a game so i can see how the lines roll and the intensity is. Gomez and Naslund seem to think that they were all over the Lightning and to a certain extent they were, thats good to hear at least meaning they are starting to feel comfortable toghether. Especially since they said those things after a loss. Gomes was not saying anything like that paired with Jagr all YEAR. Im excited to see yet ANOTHER game tomorrow, but after that i want to see the full squad. Come on lets go!
mostly agree. i love korpedos game. hes fast with powerful strides, seems to be responsible defensively and has a better shot then i thought. overall, hes my top youngster who i think can play 3rd line minutes right now.

liked sjos game last night. his goal was sniped top corner off a nice pass from pap. freds got game. hard to ignore his speed tho. hes gotta be one of my 4th line wingers.

not even watching orr. dont care. renneys is in love the guy and seems he11 bent on making him a hockey player. leave him as he is, an every other night 4th liner who punches people for a living. dont care.

beyers not making team. voros is.

mdz SHOULD make this team. hes out played sangs and fahey and pock and potter and kalinin. this guy is just so damn poised with the puck. his foot work is solid. his passing excellent. vision top notch. hes poised and confident. would love to see him more.

dont think pap will make this team.

arty hasnt stood out. hes big tho.

huge specimin and jamtin. um. no. thankyou.

first line is awesome. they still make one too many passes. just shoot the puck already.

do not like redden and girardi together. at all.

like wiikman.

seems like we have TOO MANY new guys who are all similar. muckers, grinders and who just dont stand out. they seem like interchangable parts. many of these guys look like they belong on the devils.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 09:57 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

So I think its basically down to this:

This isnt exactly what I want, but judging by what I see from Renney these are the holes that have to be filled in my eyes.

Naslund - Gomez - Zherdev
Dawes - Drury - Prucha
______ - Dubinsky - Callahan
______ - Betts* - ________

I think the players who have a LEGIT shot to make any of these positions:

Sjostrom
Fritsche
Voros
Orr
Korpikoski

So basically Renney has to cut one all together or scratch two each night.

As of now, my vote goes for Voros and Korpikoski. Fritsche and Sjostrom have to show me more. Orr will probably have a spot but its either in on the 4th line or scratched.

* Betts is actually battling with Korpikoski for the fourth line center position, but i think Renneys hard on for him has him winning that spot easily. He just is a reliable faceoff, PK and defensive forward. I just wish the guy would bring some more offense, which is why i think Korp has an outside shot of taking that center job away.

Need to see more from Rissmiller, but I really dont see where this guy fits in. He doesnt have the speed this team needs on the bottom lines. Becoming an increasingly weird signing.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 10:11 AM
NYReign

From what we've seen so far HBNYC, I agree completely; I'd put Korpedo on the 3rd line LW and have Voros and Orr get the majority of time on the 4th line and carry Sjo and Fritsche as extras. If Rissmiller is waived there will be enough cap room to fit Korpikoski in and he has certainly earned a spot.

Old
09-24-2008, 10:35 AM
Fletch

I thought the game looked mostly like an AHL game. The Rangers seemed to pass crisply, but nobody was moving quickly on the pass and the TB defense didn't seem to be much of a hinderance. It was like they were in slow motion much of the time and when they got into the offensive zone, they were real hesitant, but again lucky because TB wasn't pressuring them much.

Some notables: I liked Del Zotto a lot. Can't say where that goes, but I expected a lot less. I've had doubts about Potter's physical game, but he was fine today, but again, what happens over 82 games; in the end, I don't count him out because he's improved every season.

Anisimov - he plays big when he can slow up to a guy and use his body as a shield. He's not big otherwise. Has good skill, but if he doesn't keep his head up, he will get his clocked cleaned and never go through the middle again and lose all confidence. He has a ways to go in HFD. Needs more confidence going through the neutral zone.

The top line - showed flashes - but again, it seemed to be against a flat-footed team. They moved the puck well and at times skated around. Still early. Doesn't look bad; doesn't look great. I do wonder why Zherdev's a right winger when he seemed more comfortable coming down the left side.

Had trouble seeing Orr's improvement of foot speed.

Liked Parenteau a lot.

Wasn't ecstatic about the team's defense.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote