HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lapierre

Old
09-24-2008, 09:45 AM
albertabound

vCash: 500
Lapierre

Everyone is talking about how Kostopolus Chipchura are on the bubble looking in. If I were in Lapierre skates I'd be a little worried. He has look terrible in the 2 preseason games I taught this gauy was suppose to have come to camp all bulk up and was going to make a big impact being a pest and better skills. Montreal media just drives me nuts with thier home boys being all Crosby. Is it because he has sign a 1 way contract and thinks he can't be sent back down... I'd be worried.

albertabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 10:01 AM
Crusher20

Send a message via AIM to Crusher20 Send a message via Yahoo to Crusher20
Quote:
Originally Posted by fifi View Post
Everyone is talking about how Kostopolus Chipchura are on the bubble looking in. If I were in Lapierre skates I'd be a little worried. He has look terrible in the 2 preseason games I taught this gauy was suppose to have come to camp all bulk up and was going to make a big impact being a pest and better skills. Montreal media just drives me nuts with thier home boys being all Crosby. Is it because he has sign a 1 way contract and thinks he can't be sent back down... I'd be worried.
last year he believed he did well, i guess just like he is doing now and got the shaft.. we havent seen Chipchura yet in a game.. this guy can be sound as no one... I am sure Lappy will elevate his game.. or else, i willnot be surprised at all if he gets the shaft.. Bulking up 15pounds if you are not using them, and if your game is not a the same level wont do any good, I strongly prefer Chipchura brings a lot more.. of course he migh not be the perfect fit on a 4th line... but who knows.. Carbo might have plans for 2 kinds of lines.. a goon line and a intense line with medium abilitly..?? who knows.. but the canadiens remember Chipchura, and surely will have a real chance to steal Lapierre spot if he prooves his worth.

Crusher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 10:02 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Lappy been sucking donkey butt. Better step it up.

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 10:05 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Not sure what you're getting at. I thought he was all Crosby and then some

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 10:11 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
He's never going to have "better skills". That's not his game. I don't know why some people expect our grinders to also be 30 goal scorers.

Lapierre didn't look great yesterday and I'm not a big fan of his overall but his game is also not suited for preseason/exhibition games. He's a pest, and it's hard to find someone to bite when the games don't mean anything.

Also, Lapierre's contract is two-way AFAIK.

Edit: nm he does have a one-way, wow I must have missed that.

Last edited by hototogisu: 09-24-2008 at 10:21 AM.
hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 10:11 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
I'm a Laps fan so take what I say with a grain of salt (most do anyway lol). Ive always considered him a great skater with grit with a shot he rarely uses. If he can develop a role for himself and play his game he could be a very useful player. Chip and Laps flipping the puck at the net and falling back is sad. They need to watch Begin a tad more but take less penalties. Players like Laps and Begin are very useful because of the speed and grit. If they dont take penalties they won't hurt you. I hope they both can make the team as they are warriors.

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 10:18 AM
Drive425

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
I'm a Laps fan so take what I say with a grain of salt (most do anyway lol). Ive always considered him a great skater with grit with a shot he rarely uses. If he can develop a role for himself and play his game he could be a very useful player. Chip and Laps flipping the puck at the net and falling back is sad. They need to watch Begin a tad more but take less penalties. Players like Laps and Begin are very useful because of the speed and grit. If they dont take penalties they won't hurt you. I hope they both can make the team as they are warriors.
This year the team went to BGL to provide the toughness so one of Begin/Lapierre will lose his spot. Personally I think Stevie brings more to the role but he's often injured. Laps can be a super pest but he'll be in the press box more then on the ice unless Stevie is out.

Drive425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 10:18 AM
Pascal

a shot he rarely uses, and thankfully so. He has a brutal shot. if anything he should pass more, and practice those more too.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 10:20 AM
x-bob

I was just having this conversation with my brother in the car while listening to the Team 990. They were talking about how players like Latendresse and Chipchura might lose their spot to up and comming players in the comming seasons if they don't step up and it had me wondering about Lapierre.

To me, Lapierre has nothing really going for him that would warrant keeping him in the lineup over Chipchura. His skating is average, his shot is average (for a 4th line player, below average compared to the rest of the NHL), he rarely passes, his defensive play isn't stellar, he doesn't lay the body much, he's awfull at faceoffs and, from what we saw last year, he sucks at fighting. The only role he brings to the table is as an instigator but when you compare him to other possible instigators on our team (Begin, Kostopoulos and Laraque), it isn't hard to realise that they can be much more efficient since they have other qualities that help them succeed.

Lapierre might start the season with the Habs because he has a one-way contract but, if he doesn't elevate his game consideritly, then I doubt he finishes the season with the big club.

x-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 10:21 AM
Crusher20

Send a message via AIM to Crusher20 Send a message via Yahoo to Crusher20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
a shot he rarely uses, and thankfully so. He has a brutal shot. if anything he should pass more, and practice those more too.
the doesnt know where to shoot the puck and doesnt pass the puck.

Crusher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 10:26 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Can someone realize that he doesn't have the awareness to play center in this league. Of course he's not doing well.....he's not playing the position he should be playing.....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 10:27 AM
Fire Brunet*

the only thing I would ask him is to take his visor off

Fire Brunet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 10:33 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-bob View Post
To me, Lapierre has nothing really going for him that would warrant keeping him in the lineup over Chipchura. His skating is average, his shot is average (for a 4th line player, below average compared to the rest of the NHL), he rarely passes, his defensive play isn't stellar, he doesn't lay the body much, he's awfull at faceoffs and, from what we saw last year, he sucks at fighting.
1)His skating is quite good actually.
2)His shot is pretty decent for a 4th liner, actually. He was a pretty good scorer for the Bulldogs, although for some reason it doesn't count when talking about 4th liners. Only applies to skilled players, I guess
3)He constantly laid the body when he was a Bulldog. I hardly think 2 preseason games is enough of a sample size to say 'this new 215lb Lapierre never throws a hit'.
4)Our whole team was awful at faceoffs last year, especially Chipchura.
5)How well did Essa Tikanen fight? How many times does Ruutu fight? Conversely, how good of a 'pest' is BGL or Kostopoulos?

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 10:44 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Lapierre's game doesn't require fighting (apparently unless it's Max Talbot). He's a pest, so he's supposed to get on the ice with some good opposing players and get them off their game. Sitting in the penalty box after fighting some opposing goon doesn't accomplish anything except make some fans feel better.

Not to mention he's not a terrible defensive forward, and if someone thinks he's a bad skater I'm not sure who they're watching.

It's also worth noting that the only area in which Lapierre is bad at faceoffs is on the PK. That can (and should) be remedied by getting Lang out there on the PK to take faceoffs. Lapierre was over 50% at even strength and on his limited exposure to the PP.

09-24-2008, 10:48 AM
CH4

IMO Lappy is ahead of Begin ans Kosto

they play about the same role, Lappy is lightning fast compared to the other two (even more compared to Chip), he is extremely useful on PK, probably our best PKer

I agree with Whitesnake that he is a RW. We used him as C to take some faceoff since he is Righthanded but now with Lang, Lappy should be back on the wing

He is a NHLer, training camp doesn't change a thing, Czerkawsky(sp) says he agree

Lappy in few years could very well become one of the best pest in the league.

Begin and Kosto in a few years could very well not be playing in the NHL anymore...

I choose Lappy.

CH4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 10:57 AM
x-bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades 0f Steel View Post
1)His skating is quite good actually.
2)His shot is pretty decent for a 4th liner, actually. He was a pretty good scorer for the Bulldogs, although for some reason it doesn't count when talking about 4th liners. Only applies to skilled players, I guess
3)He constantly laid the body when he was a Bulldog. I hardly think 2 preseason games is enough of a sample size to say 'this new 215lb Lapierre never throws a hit'.
4)Our whole team was awful at faceoffs last year.
5)How well did Essa Tikanen fight?
1) When I think about a good skater, I think more along the lines of Plekanec, Markov, The Kostitsyns, Gorges, etc. Not incredibly fast but very swift and effortless. Compared to them, Lapierre is just average if you ask me. (Edit: But you are right if you want to compare him to our other 4th line players.)

2)He might have been a good scorer for the Bulldogs but in the NHL, he hasn't necessarly shown what he can do. Lets compare him to the rest of our players fighting ofr hte 4th line.

Lapierre: 13 goals in 100 games with a shooting percentage of 8.67%
Steve Begin: 40 goals in 347 games with a shooting percentage of 8.20%
Tom Kostopoulos: 32 goals in 298 games with a shooting percentage of 8.49%
George Laraque: 52 goals in 634 games with a shooting percentage of 11.11%

He is pretty much on par with all thos players no? Would you then say that all these players have a good shot (for fourth liners)? If so, then his shot is still average compared to his competition for the 4th line duties.

3)I'm not basing my opinion on the two preseason games. Hell I only saw 2 periods of one of the preseason games. I'm taking into account his career as an NHL player. He hasn't been the type to lay the body in the NHL. More often the not he just bounces off his opponent. Sure he has gained 15 pounds but will that necessarely make his hits deadly, I doubt it.

4)True but that doesn't deny the fact that he isn<t good at faceoffs.

5)Sorry I have never see Essa Tikanen play so I can't really comment

Old
09-24-2008, 11:03 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
5)Sorry I have never see Essa Tikanen play so I can't really comment
God....I hate reading those types of comment....it makes me feel so old....

Old
09-24-2008, 11:08 AM
PKtrollban
PK for Norris

IMO, Lappy must elevate his game a lot more to impress the coaching staff, from what I saw yesterday, there's many players that works their butt off a lot more than him in these preseason games. Lappy isn't part of the core, he's an insurance policy, he showed he can play in the NHL but not much more than that. Chipchura, on the other hand, might have more tricks in his bag, now the door is wide open for him to show coaching staff he's NHL ready, it's his time to step up.

Lappierre was playing with Ryan Flinn, and Glumac, those linemates weren't helping him look too good out there, they were the worst line for both teams on the ice yesterday. Not to defend Lappy, but just pointing that Lappy alone can't do what 3 guys should. Flinn looked retarded and Glumac, a bit less retarded.

PKtrollban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 11:11 AM
x-bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
God....I hate reading those types of comment....it makes me feel so old....
Ha...well I'm 19. Maybe he did play in my time but I only really started paying attention to players and becoming a real fan about 8 years ago.

Old
09-24-2008, 11:22 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
He didn't look good at all last night,he better wake up if he doesn't wanna start the year in Hamilton again

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 11:27 AM
CastroLeRobot
Hab-a-bouille

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCMario View Post
IMO, Lappy must elevate his game a lot more to impress the coaching staff, from what I saw yesterday, there's many players that works their butt off a lot more than him in these preseason games. Lappy isn't part of the core, he's an insurance policy, he showed he can play in the NHL but not much more than that. Chipchura, on the other hand, might have more tricks in his bag, now the door is wide open for him to show coaching staff he's NHL ready, it's his time to step up.

Lappierre was playing with Ryan Flinn, and Glumac, those linemates weren't helping him look too good out there, they were the worst line for both teams on the ice yesterday. Not to defend Lappy, but just pointing that Lappy alone can't do what 3 guys should. Flinn looked retarded and Glumac, a bit less retarded.
Lol, I'm happy I'm not alone thinking that

CastroLeRobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 11:32 AM
Noldo

Remember that out of all those players fighting for the spot on the fourth line (Begin, Chipchura, Lapierre, Kostopoulos, Laraque and Dandenault) Chipchura is only one that can be sent to Hamilton without going through waivers.

Based on that I would say that Chip would have to seriously outplay Lapierre in order to Gainye risk losing Lapierre on waivers and keep Chipchura in Montreal.

Now, if the youngsters (Chip and Lapierre) outplay all the vets so completely that neither of them deserves to be off the lineup, I would assume Gainey to try achieve trade before risking waivers.

Based on waiver situation, I think that Lapierre can be quite confident on his spot on the team, he is mostly competing for spot on active lineup (instead of being 13th forward).

Noldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 11:40 AM
jcpenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Can someone realize that he doesn't have the awareness to play center in this league. Of course he's not doing well.....he's not playing the position he should be playing.....
I think we should put your post in BOLD so that everybody can see it. You couldnt be more right. Lapierre is not a center and never will be. He has no vision, no passing ability and no defensive awareness. All of his qualities translate to the wing and its not hard to see. Playing center will ruin is career in MTL. I like him and he would be an ideal 4th line winger, lets hope that Carbo realizes it.

jcpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 11:41 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Laps is a very good skater. He can shoot the puck. His awareness seems low.
Quote:
I was just having this conversation with my brother in the car while listening to the Team 990. They were talking about how players like Latendresse and Chipchura might lose their spot to up and comming players in the comming seasons if they don't step up and it had me wondering about Lapierre.

To me, Lapierre has nothing really going for him that would warrant keeping him in the lineup over Chipchura. His skating is average, his shot is average (for a 4th line player, below average compared to the rest of the NHL), he rarely passes, his defensive play isn't stellar, he doesn't lay the body much, he's awfull at faceoffs and, from what we saw last year, he sucks at fighting. The only role he brings to the table is as an instigator but when you compare him to other possible instigators on our team (Begin, Kostopoulos and Laraque), it isn't hard to realise that they can be much more efficient since they have other qualities that help them succeed.

Lapierre might start the season with the Habs because he has a one-way contract but, if he doesn't elevate his game consideritly, then I doubt he finishes the season with the big club.

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 11:46 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpenny View Post
I think we should put your post in BOLD so that everybody can see it. You couldnt be more right. Lapierre is not a center and never will be. He has no vision, no passing ability and no defensive awareness. All of his qualities translate to the wing and its not hard to see. Playing center will ruin is career in MTL. I like him and he would be an ideal 4th line winger, lets hope that Carbo realizes it.
I'm still wondering to this day where is that "We're sending him to Hamilton so he could learn to be a winger" way of thinking gone?

'Cause they never wanted him to be a winger but were looking for a reason to send him down? Or 'cause they simply forget about saying this???? Or don't see anybody in the organization ready to take that spot? Can't be that as well 'cause isn't it Gainey who said in the summer that we had to make room for guys like Chipchura?

Or they really believe Lapierre can do the job.....which I have a hard time believing that both Carbo and Gainey believes it....