HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pre-season G3: 9/23 • New York Rangers @ Tampa Bay Lightning • 7:30PM • MSG

Old
09-24-2008, 09:39 AM
Levitate

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
* Betts is actually battling with Korpikoski for the fourth line center position, but i think Renneys hard on for him has him winning that spot easily. He just is a reliable faceoff, PK and defensive forward. I just wish the guy would bring some more offense, which is why i think Korp has an outside shot of taking that center job away.
Renney has said he wants Korpikoski on the wing. Betts is fighting Nedved for the 4th line center spot.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 09:40 AM
RussianGuyovich
Hella Ennui

vCash: 742
Send a message via MSN to RussianGuyovich
as a tampa fan, what's everybody's unbiased opinion of stamkos? i realize that preseason is not the best indication of how well someone might do during the regular season, but i watched him against pittsburgh, and i thought he might get 25 goals this year (which i would be ecstatic about.)

RussianGuyovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 09:44 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderllama View Post
as a tampa fan, what's everybody's unbiased opinion of stamkos? i realize that preseason is not the best indication of how well someone might do during the regular season, but i watched him against pittsburgh, and i thought he might get 25 goals this year (which i would be ecstatic about.)
It's really hard to have anything bad to say about the kid.

He is a great person. Smart, mature.

And he is a fantastic player. Elite. It is really hard to think he is only 18 years old.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 09:51 AM
Fletch

that goal Stampkos scored was a pretty darn impressive shot. That kid's going to be pretty good.

Phil Esposito thinks Stamkos can net 20-25 goals this season prior to the game in a kind of funny interview in which he mentioned that his Tampa teams stunk.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 09:58 AM
Synergy27

Quote:
It's funny, because literally seconds before he scored that goal I was thinking to myself how relatively quiet Stamkos had been. He definitely does not seem to be a dominant, game controlling (read: Ovechkin/Crosby) kind of player, but he most definitely has the skills to be really good, really soon. You guys definitely have an enviable 1-2 center punch, and that's coming from a guy whose favorite team is actually pretty strong in that department itself.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 11:31 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Awesome player, not as flashy as some top end talents but he's just solid and plays a smart two game at 18 yrs old. Great pick.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 12:03 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

thought i mentioned this earlier, but i dont see it here.

ive got post game thoughts on my site, kinda long.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 12:17 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Renney has said he wants Korpikoski on the wing. Betts is fighting Nedved for the 4th line center spot.
Yeaaah, i know...

But Betts just makes me nuts, he really does. He would be the perfect, and I mean perfect 4th line center if he would just put about 12-15 goals in the net each year. Thats not asking a huge amount from him either because he does have a decent wrister.

I like everything the guy brings otherwise but he frustrates the **** out of me in the offensive zone.

As far as Nedved goes, his fate will be sealed tonight.

HockeyBasedNYC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 12:22 PM
Fletch

Hbnyc...

I don't think any real fourth line centerman puts up 12-15 goals per season. Third line, yes, but not the fourth line. If Renney played the fourth line 5-7 minutes, had a bit better scorers on the wing, and if the top three lines and the PP did their thing, we wouldn't be worried about Betts' five goals. We'd be saying what a great fourth line this team has as it does exactly what you want a fourth line to do.

Old
09-24-2008, 12:27 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Yeah, i know...

But Betts just makes me nuts, he really does. He would be the perfect, and I mean perfect 4th line center if he would just put about 12-15 goals in the net each year. Thats not asking a huge amount from him either because he does have a decent wrister.

I like everything the guy brings otherwise but he frustrates the **** out of me in the offensive zone.

10 to 15 goals is atainable, just not from Betts, That would be a career year for him, a good year would be 7 or 9 goals 10 to 15 assists.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 01:02 PM
94now

Quote:
Yeaaah, i know...

Hockey is not a baseball. Your defensive forwards do not have score. Since most of the fans do not get it, Renney had to tell something in that account, like "it would be nice to see some production from shutdown line..", but he is fine head coach and he knows that Rangers do not need to score. They need to win. Sure if your top lines suck like they did last season you turn around and try to find some scoring elsewhere, but if you need you shutdown line to score, the state of your club is very bad, if not terrible. Based on the above, Betts is a lock, IMO. Nedved is not good for the role Renney has already set for Betts. Nedved is competing with Dubinski with very little hope.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 01:05 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Hockey is not a baseball. Your defensive forwards do not have score. Since most of the fans do not get it, Renney had to tell something in that account, like "it would be nice to see some production from shutdown line..", but he is fine head coach and he knows that Rangers do not need to score. They need to win. Sure if your top lines suck like they did last season you turn around and try to find some scoring elsewhere, but if you need you shutdown line to score, the state of your club is very bad, if not terrible. Based on the above, Betts is a lock, IMO. Nedved is not good for the role Renney has already set for Betts. Nedved is competing with Dubinski with very little hope.
94, I almost never agree with you, but here I think you're spot on!

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 01:09 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
All true, cant disagree.

I love Betts and everything he brings. Im actually a fan of his... it just frustrates me to hell the chances he gets and the areas he puts himself into in the offensive zone, almost on a game to game basis with no results.

I know, i know... I shouldnt expect anything from him... and i really dont because he gets the job done otherwise, but I just wish he had a breakout year... ONCE!

Old
09-24-2008, 01:10 PM
Fletch

you need to score in order to win. The Rangers had too many shutouts and one goal games last season for my liking. I also think that much of the games won last season were won with the team scoring at least 3 goals, showing the need to score in order to win. It's fine to win 1-2, 2-1, etc. I understand that if you play good defense you don't need to score as much. I also don't think the defense this season will be as good as last season (call me crazy, but that's just a gut feeling), so I think that increases the need to score.

Old
09-24-2008, 01:14 PM
NYR Viper

if the rangers could find a player who could be a good pker and score some goals from that 4th line center spot it would be better for team......an extra 10 goals a season could mean as many as 10 more wins....

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 01:29 PM
thrillhous

With all of the praise being given to Del Zotto in this thread it would be sad to see him sent down, but it's not very likely he'll stay on. What do you think Sangs' chances are of staying so far?

thrillhous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 01:34 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillhous View Post
With all of the praise being given to Del Zotto in this thread it would be sad to see him sent down, but it's not very likely he'll stay on. What do you think Sangs' chances are of staying so far?
It would be Smart to send him back to juniors though. If this was the Rangers of 2003-04 though, I would want him to play.

Sangs will start in the AHL and get a season in before its his turn, unless the Rangers defense is decimated by injury. Maybe a call up later in the year if they want to take a look at him.

Old
09-24-2008, 02:43 PM
AdamGravesNight

Send a message via AIM to AdamGravesNight Send a message via Yahoo to AdamGravesNight
My thoughts on the game...

Rangers Preseason Game III - Tampa Bay, 9/23/08

1st: I just want to start this off by saying Tampa’s goaltender Mike Smith was the best player on the ice for this game. From the very start, when the Rangers were controlling the game, he was stopping shots from everywhere. I usually only report on the home team, but Mike Smith’s strong showing is just too much to ignore. I’m not sure if he can put a string of games like that together, but he at least showed signs of it last night.

On to the Rangers. I know P. A. Parenteau is labeled as being a goal scorer from his days down in the AHL, but from what I’ve been seeing, the man has been one of the best passers in every game he plays. Don’t get me wrong, he got two great scoring chances (one of the first chances rebound) early, but I just love his unselfish play. During the preseason and camp I expect more selfishness from kids battling for spots, but P.A. has been playing a great team game. Loving it. I only saw shades in the first period, but Hugh Jessiman was playing strong in the offensive zone. Hopefully he gets more shifts in the next couple games.

Corey Potter has been great for the Rangers, especially in the defensive zone, which is the area I feel this team is most lacking. When it came to separating an opposing player from the puck, Potter had to be the best option in this game. He even battled behind the net without his helmet, which I always love to see. Early on, Evgeny Artyukhin took the puck to the right wing boards in the offensive zone, but Potter put his body in position to stop the rush. The same exact thing happened, but Wade Redden was in place of Potter, and the result was the exact opposite. A goal for Tampa Bay. Redden, so far, has been what I expected, capable in the offensive zone, and nonexistent on the defensive end. His speed leaves much to be desired, but maybe he has a regular season gear I’m not privy to.

The Rangers Power Play was as ineffective as usual in the first, and this game the problem isn’t being snake bitten, but more akin to last year’s woes. Overpassing was the key to the problem, but the PK stepped up in the power play’s stead. Most notably Daniel Girardi, who was stuck on the ice for an extended period of ice, and was bending over trying to catch his breath on the way back to the bench when the shift finally ended. Girardi used his time on that shift wisely by blocking two shots, using his body for a hit, and then clearing the zone. Quite the impressive play (especially after his weak attempt to back up Redden on the earlier goal). Rangers failed to capitalize on the shot advantage in the period, which would be a theme of the night.

2nd: Probably the ugliest period of hockey the Rangers have played all preseason. They give up an early penalty due to being dumbfounded by Tampa’s offensive rush. The penalty, by Redden, saved a great chance for a Tampa goal. If only the rest of the team were playing as aware on that play. The PK was good again. The pairing of Michael Del Zotto and Bobby Sanguinetti complimented each other well all game. Any time they were on the penalty kill the team seemed better off. They’ve also been the most consistent pair at even strength. I had heard both were strong offensively, but their defense is what has impressed me most. They’re not overly physical, but they move their feet, and know where they’re supposed to be to force turnovers and offsides.

Tonight the 4th line (Byers/Betts/Orr) showed that they can play physical, and sustain a little bit of offensive pressure, but they also showed a penchant for acquiring penalties. When this team rid itself of Ryan Hollweg (who I hear took a penalty nearly the first chance he got for the Leafs), I figured it was because they wanted to get away from the penalties he plagued the team with. I just don’t see how that is going to be possible if we’re icing guys like Orr and Byers at the same time. I just don’t see the point in giving playing time to so called “Heavyweight Fighters,” when you’re trying to gain every point in the standings that you can. I enjoy a good hockey fight, but would prefer my team leaning towards scoring and not violence. Anyway, Orr and Byers both garner penalties that lead to TB PP goals. 3-0.

Niko Zherdev has been playing great for the Rangers, but this game showed things about him you’ll never read about in any previous articles written about him. Today he threw the body, and greatly effected the team’s PK ability. There was a point where he carried the puck around the neutral zone to defensive zone just to kill off as much odd man time as possible. It was like something you see in an online match of NHL 09, not an NHL game. I loved it. Hopefully we see more of him on the PK as the season continues. There was another point in the period where he was alone against two defenders, and instead of slowing down for help, he just blew past both defenders, carrying them on his back behind the net. Zherdev seems like he’s having more fun than everyone else on the ice with his great improvisation and creativity. Ask Marty St. Louis, who seemed a bit jealous himself at one point, throwing gloved hands into Niko’s face pre-faceoff. Hopefully the Rangers can hang onto #13 for awhile, instead of losing him to a Euro team.

The Power Play finally broke through on a goal from Daniel Girardi (Assists: Gomez, Redden). It was nice to see the D and the Power Play getting something out of all their work the last couple nights. One last thing about this period, Andreas Jamtin, who many-a-forumer had labeled the “Swedish Avery.” With limited ice time I can already see where they get that idea from. Jamtin throws the body (literally leaving the ice to do it), interferes with goaltenders, and draws penalties with aggressive forechecking. I’m adding him to the list of “need to see more of.”

3rd: It turns out Zherdev isn’t perfect because right off the bat he drops a pass back to Scotty Gomez that misses, and leads to a TB scoring chance. Can’t get too crazy speaking with absolutes when it comes to players in hockey. Usually everything is a shift by shift basis. Freddie Sjostrom pots a second power play goal (Assists: Parenteau, Korpikoski).The power play is still not shooting enough for my tastes, ending with two goals on eleven shots through seven opportunities (That’s 11 shots on 7 Power plays. Not even a shot per minute). P.A.’s assist further solidifies the belief that he’s got great vision, to go along with his accurate shot (the accuracy is the part that remains to be seen sadly). Korpedo is on a point per game basis still with the Big team’s sweater on.

Dmitri Kalinin, who hasn’t really been standing out (good or bad), had a pretty strong third period. He blocked a couple of shots, set up Korpikoski at one point, and even got mugged for a should-be-penalty where his glove was taken away from him. The wrap on him seemed similar to Redden, in that the former team’s fans (in this case The Sabres) wouldn’t be missing him. Hopefully he steps his game up from last year, which looked to be an off year. The Rangers almost tied the game when the first line orchestrated a smooth break into the offensive zone. Zherdev hit a wide open Naslund in front of the net, who opted for an ill advised extra pass to an out of position Scotty Gomez. Naslund also had an ugly turnover late in the period. Maybe he’s just out of energy from the last couple days because he was having a shaky third.

With about eight seconds left Redden takes a low shot from the point that is rebounded off Smith by Zherdev, who dishes to Naslund, but somehow the puck stayed out of the net and was cleared by Tampa Bay. It was a hard fought game, but the Rangers sloppy second period sealed their fate. Hopefully they can sustain their energy against the Devils in their first game against a divisional opponent this season.

By Jeffrey Paul Louis Schiller

AdamGravesNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 02:53 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Nice write up and welcome to the board AGN...

I like Potter, but i need to see more containment from him in front of the net. He has played well though and hes definitely in the running for the 7th spot.

Also agree on all counts for Zherdev, the kid looks like he came to play and judging by what Joe said last night, hes doing everything to get on the right side of his teamattes and coaching staff. Thats good to hear. Theres no doubt the kid has boatloads of talent. I cant wait unitl he gets hot.

The one thing I disagree about is Jamtin. I dont think hes an NHL player. He really didnt impress me at all and was out of position a lot. Given hes never played in this type of system or league... But he needs a good season in the AHL to see what he really has.

I think the guys who are legitimately in the running for a spot that arent considered "locks" in my mind are:

Korpikoski (He's ready IMO), Voros (Big and goes to the net, exactly what the Rangers need) Orr (gets a spot by default), Sjostrom (who i thought had a great game last night), Fritsche (who has to get it going)

Old
09-24-2008, 03:22 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
if the rangers could find a player who could be a good pker and score some goals from that 4th line center spot it would be better for team......an extra 10 goals a season could mean as many as 10 more wins....
you mean... a good POWERPLAY.....

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 04:43 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
you mean... a good POWERPLAY.....
no, a good powerplay would score us like 25-30 more goals.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 04:49 PM
Fletch

if the Rangers' PP was as successful last season as MTL's, they would've had 28 more goal; if the PP was as good as the prior two seasons, it would've had about 8 more goals. But, it wasn't.

Old
09-24-2008, 05:25 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
10 to 15 goals is atainable, just not from Betts, That would be a career year for him, a good year would be 7 or 9 goals 10 to 15 assists.
That wouldn't be a "good" year, that would be a career year. We're talking about a center who rarely, if ever, is aware of his wings. He rarely passes. Betts reached a career high of 5 (yep, five) assistants last season. To even dream of 10-15 assists....

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 05:29 PM
AdamGravesNight

Send a message via AIM to AdamGravesNight Send a message via Yahoo to AdamGravesNight
Quote:
Nice write up and welcome to the board AGN...

Korpikoski (He's ready IMO), Voros (Big and goes to the net, exactly what the Rangers need) Orr (gets a spot by default), Sjostrom (who i thought had a great game last night), Fritsche (who has to get it going)
Hey thanks, and I agree with all the names you mentioned. I need to see Rissmiller still though, maybe he can prove something.

AdamGravesNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 05:37 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Corey Potter has been stunningly good. Blows Dmitri Kalinin out of the water. In fact, he's played better than Mara too, and probably Rozsival as of yet, (yes I know he wouldn't in reality throughout a season).

Point is, as of right now.. Potter deserves a spot.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote