HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"Change of Scenery Refreshes Redden"

Old
09-24-2008, 09:00 AM
darrenturcotte#8

vCash: 500
"Change of Scenery Refreshes Redden"

Great piece on Rangers.com... EXCEPT IT'S BS!!!

Anyone else see Brad Isbister blow past Redden on a 2 on 1 to create a 2 on 0? Redden followed that stellar performance up by watching Artyukhin blow past him on a 2 on 2 last night. He couldnt even get back to pick up the rebound after Wikki bailed him out. What about this is refreshing? Seems to be the same over hyped under talented player he was in Ott. Only difference is he's a lot richer and is now playing with Gomez and Zherdev who intend to lead the league in turnovers. (yes, it was zherdev who turned it over last night which lead to the 2 on 2)

Story On NewYorkRangers.com:

http://rangers.nhl.com/team/app/?ser...ticleid=382644

darrenturcotte#8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 09:13 AM
Ola

In my mind Redden have been very solid and impressive so far. Actually even better then I expected.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 09:17 AM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
I think both instances of Redden getting "blown" past were more a case of mixed up coverage by him and Girardi and the rotating bunch of forwards (no back-checking/coverage while pinching). I'd be surprised if we see that too often in the regular season.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 09:27 AM
darrenturcotte#8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
I think both instances of Redden getting "blown" past were more a case of mixed up coverage by him and Girardi and the rotating bunch of forwards (no back-checking/coverage while pinching). I'd be surprised if we see that too often in the regular season.

I disagree. There was no mix up on the 2 on 1. You simply cant step up in that situation. Last night Redden was in front of Artyukhin, clearly picking him up until he blew by him wide. If he split the D, maybe I'd agree but he took Redden wide. Girardi was on the other side of the ice.

Old
09-24-2008, 09:35 AM
Levitate

A turnover that led to a 2 on 2? Gasp! How horrible of Zherdev!

As for Redden, yeah he needs to pick it up. He and Girardi have had trouble against the fast transition, and that's something I noticed Girardi having trouble with at times last year

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 09:38 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Just checked the calendar. Today's September 24.

09-24-2008, 09:38 AM
ThirdEye

Wait until the regular season. Vets are known to slack during preseason to save energy and avoid getting injured.

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 09:40 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

It's preseason. Unless you're trying to make the team you aren't going to be playing your ass off. Relax. People are getting on vets for nonsense. People here treat the preseason like it's the tell all about each player. If such was the case, we'd have all young players on the team and no one else. I think it was better when MSG didn't show preseason games, that way people wouldn't have as much to complain about.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 09:41 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenturcotte#8 View Post

Anyone else see Brad Isbister blow past Redden on a 2 on 1 to create a 2 on 0? Redden followed that stellar performance up by watching Artyukhin blow past him on a 2 on 2 last night. He couldnt even get back to pick up the rebound after Wikki bailed him out. What about this is refreshing? Seems to be the same over hyped under talented player he was in Ott. Only difference is he's a lot richer and is now playing with Gomez and Zherdev who intend to lead the league in turnovers. (yes, it was zherdev who turned it over last night which lead to the 2 on 2)

Wow... this **** gets really old.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 09:47 AM
darrenturcotte#8

Did any of you watch Redden LAST SEASON? This is the same stuff he did during the regular season. I dont care if its a charity hockey game. Brad freakin Isbister shouldnt be blowing past our $7 mill/yr d man. EVER

Old
09-24-2008, 09:51 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Jesus man put down the pitchfork.

Redden has looked very solid thus far in 98% of his play AND it's still the preseason.

09-24-2008, 09:57 AM
broadwayblue

While I haven't been blown away with Redden's play thus far, I'll reserve all criticism until we are a few games into the regular season. He's playing with all new guys, many of which won't even be on the team come opening night. It takes a while to get the comfort level down, and I don't see how anyone can make a final judgement at this point.

I mean why aren't people saying that Naslund and Zherdev suck because they have both fanned on several wide open one timers the past couple of nights? It's pre-season. Let the guys get back into game shape.

broadwayblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 09:59 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan444 View Post
Jesus man put down the pitchfork.

Redden has looked very solid thus far in 98% of his play AND it's still the preseason.
Yep.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 10:02 AM
Turambar

Turambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 10:18 AM
Synergy27

Quote:

I didn't see the Isbister play, and while I did see the Arthyukin play, I wasn't really paying all that close attention. I'll reserve judgement until I see a replay (which probably won't happen), but I think you'd do well to consider a couple of what ifs:

1. What if Renney told Redden to avoid getting too physical in the pre-season?
2. What if there was simply a mis-read in the coverage (a typical pre-season gaffe)?
3. What if Brad Isbister was on Ovechkin pills (a joke, relax)?

The point is, and has been made by many others already, that it is pre-season man. None of this matters, and none of the data you are gathering at this time should be extrapolated because these games are in no way indicative of regular season performance. Save your Redden bashing for the games that count.

That actually brings up an interesting question though. How many times do even the best defenseman get "blown by" every year? I mean, are we to condemn the contract after Redden's first offense, or is there some sort of measuring stick we can defer to?

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 10:30 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

To me Redden is an upgrade to the Rangers defense from last year and thats great. The problem is his contract. Put that all side for a minute though.

Redden is exactly what the Rangers need in a puck moving, PP defenseman. Hes a stable defender in the zone and knows how to take a hit to make a play. Hes also adept at keeping the play alive at the point on the powerplay, getting shots on net (even rolling pucks) and for me the most important thing he brings to the powerplay is patience.

Patience you say? But he moves the puck so quickly doesnt he? Yes, he does. But if you watched the Rangers PP closely last year, especially a guy like Rozsival - he didnt know how to suck in the top of the PK box, or walk the puck back to the center of the ice to open up the passing or shooting lanes for himself or one of his teammates. He was stationary for the most part. Redden moves and gives the top of the PP a look they havent seen since Leetch. I've already seen it on numerous occasions, hes patient enough to let the opposition winger come out to him just enough to make a move or a pass to free up that space, and maek something happen by getting rid of it, and quickly.

The knock i have on Redden is this - He's fine in the defensive zone when the play settles down and its more of a stationary and positioning game. But i think there is some validity (from what i've seen so far) to what a lot of the ditractors and Ottawa fans were saying when the Rangers signed him. It seems that when he has to turn and go in the neutral zone, his transition to keep up with the wings - its not all the good. We've seen him get beat on the outside twice in two games. Yeah, he might not have his legs under him as of yet, but i dont think its so much about that, more about the route he takes to the player and how he sets himself in the neutral zone for an attack as such. I replayed the 1st tamps goal about 6 times and slowed it down. When he has to turn and go it seems like his first two strides werent good enough so he lost his position right away. Maybe that will come back with practice, maybe hes getting old, or maybe the NHL is getting too fast for him. Whatever the case may be, its a bit of a concern and I think its a legit one. The positive is, Lundqvist is the last guy to have to be beaten, and we all know how he does on breakaways. But keep an eye on that in the future.

I can live with that shortcoming if it isnt exploited each and every game. Otherwise i think his positives will outweigh his negatives, one of them getting a ton of shots ON NET, which is a breath of fresh air after seeing Tyutin miss so many opportunities.

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 09-24-2008 at 10:40 AM.
HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 10:34 AM
TheSchwab

Send a message via MSN to TheSchwab
Quote:
I disagree. There was no mix up on the 2 on 1. You simply cant step up in that situation. Last night Redden was in front of Artyukhin, clearly picking him up until he blew by him wide. If he split the D, maybe I'd agree but he took Redden wide. Girardi was on the other side of the ice.
Dude, Ibister had about a 50 foot head start to get to full speed, meanwhile Redden had to transition and continue skating backwards - no single player in the NHL can skate anywhere near as fast backwards as a Forward skating forwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Just checked the calendar. Today's September 24.
haha

Seriously, no poster should be able to start a topic unless they have a minimum of 500 or 750 posts.

TheSchwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 10:52 AM
segmentation fault

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
Wait until the regular season. Vets are known to slack during preseason to save energy and avoid getting injured.
And this is why I am giving him some benefit of the doubt.

segmentation fault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 11:00 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Ranger fans are out for blood every season with regards to a handful of players, usually defensemen.

Redden and Kalinen will be the two scapegoats this year. If you watch Rangers hockey for enough years, you kind of become used to it.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 11:00 AM
Jeds2StepOpus

The sky is falling.......the sky is falling!!

As everyone knows Pre-Season hockey is the ultimate moment of evaluation for seasoned vets. The prime indicator.

Go Chicken Little....Go!

Jeds2StepOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 11:47 AM
Bury Your Head

I just slit my wrists, ripped up all of my tickets for this year, and will proceed to my bed where I will cry myself to sleep.

Wake me up for next season.

Bury Your Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 11:51 AM
GarretJoseph*

Redden has been doing fine. I think this poster has issues with him. Get over it. He's one of our top defenders.

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 12:01 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSchwab View Post
Dude, Ibister had about a 50 foot head start to get to full speed, meanwhile Redden had to transition and continue skating backwards - no single player in the NHL can skate anywhere near as fast backwards as a Forward skating forwards.
Good point.

Quote:
haha

Seriously, no poster should be able to start a topic unless they have a minimum of 500 or 750 posts.
Agreed.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 12:04 PM
Jackson Ranger

I saw the first play where Artyuhkin (sp?) blew by him and was shocked. I could care less if this is a preseason game or not, Redden wasn't anywhere close to being able to stop the 6'5" freight train. I find it troubling an NHL veteran defenseman could be burned that badly.

Now, is he a little "rusty"? Maybe or he didn't anticipate the speed of the Artyuhkin and made a mistake which is easily correctable.

Either way, I know I will be keeping a close eye on his play and we'll see where it is when the "real" games start.

Jackson Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 12:50 PM
John Torturella

Redden has made 2 mistakes so far. Thats all. In 2 games he has made 2 errors. This is preseason. You cant expect guys to be 100% ready to play in midseason form. What other reasons are there for preseason?

edit: I also think this is a case where people are looking for a new whipping boy.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote