HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What the Rangers lack...and have been lacking

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-24-2008, 09:05 AM
  #1
JohnnyRanger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 41
vCash: 500
What the Rangers lack...and have been lacking

I don’t know if this has been discussed, but its something that bothers me day in and day out. The Rangers lack one thing that can make them an elite team, and that’s offensive creativity. Picture this (I know you’ve seen it all season long last year) Gomez starts behind the net flys through the neutral zone meets a defensmen shifts down the side boards drop pass gets broken up. It seems like this team lacks any offensive creativity whatsoever. No one trys to split the D, give and goes go nowhere, it seems like our players are looking for the perfect someone to come along and dish them the perfect pass. From what ive seen this off-season its not going to happen. Were going to go nowhere if this keeps up.

I think its because of Rennys preaching of “defensive responsibility”. Forwards are afraid to get caught deep and the D is afraid to jump into the rush. Rennys off-season pickups were suppose to help the team get younger and faster but his coaching style hasn’t changed. We have all the right assets, it’s the man calling the shots who needs a wake up call

Now I know its still early and were playing alot rookie guys, but I think it’s the kids who can bring along some for this creativity. There fearless, trying to make a name for themselves…what say you, who can be that factor, who can ignite this powder keg of an offence?

JohnnyRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 09:11 AM
  #2
WhipNash27
Quattro!!
 
WhipNash27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Westchester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 16,296
vCash: 500
The problem is the Rangers have no elite offensive players as of now. Zherdev is our only real hope for a player of this sort and possibly Dubinsky. With the rest of the team you have a lot of good players, but no one in that elite level, so of course you aren't going to have a lot of creativity.

Plus, it isn't about style, it's about winning. However they go in, they go in.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 09:15 AM
  #3
zestystrat
Registered User
 
zestystrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: NYC > Atlanta
Country: United States
Posts: 621
vCash: 500
I think Zherdev-Gomez-Naz might give you a little bit of what you are looking for.

zestystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 09:29 AM
  #4
JohnnyRanger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 41
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zestystrat View Post
I think Zherdev-Gomez-Naz might give you a little bit of what you are looking for.

I really hope so, it doesnt look like they have clicked yet. im sure they will. i think once they net a few there confidence will rise and sparks will fly

JohnnyRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 09:32 AM
  #5
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..
 
offdacrossbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: da cuse
Country: Tuvalu
Posts: 8,978
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PruBlue25 View Post
The problem is the Rangers have no elite offensive players as of now. Zherdev is our only real hope for a player of this sort and possibly Dubinsky. With the rest of the team you have a lot of good players, but no one in that elite level, so of course you aren't going to have a lot of creativity.

Plus, it isn't about style, it's about winning. However they go in, they go in.
neither do the devils or the sabres but over the last 5 years both organizations have done pretty well. its less about elite players as it is a system that fits the players you have. now that we are rid of jaromir, who wanted things his way, renney and slats can gather players they feel fit well into the system that the organization is teaching.

so far, im lovin the uptempo, pressure-attack system we have played the first 3 games. we havent scored enough- mostly due to the pp (again !) but we seem to have better skaters now and that should allow us to play a defense first system and yet counterattack with speed and generate chances. it seems to be working, we havent given up alot at even strength yet we are creating chances and getting shots on net.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 09:33 AM
  #6
zestystrat
Registered User
 
zestystrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: NYC > Atlanta
Country: United States
Posts: 621
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRanger View Post
I really hope so, it doesnt look like they have clicked yet. im sure they will. i think once they net a few there confidence will rise and sparks will fly
Welp JR, it's WAAAAAAAAY early to start questioning a line that hasn't been together for more than a week. So I'd sit back and watch it unfold.....

zestystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 09:36 AM
  #7
DontStepanMe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Queens, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,383
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
neither do the devils or the sabres but over the last 5 years both organizations have done pretty well. its less about elite players as it is a system that fits the players you have. now that we are rid of jaromir, who wanted things his way, renney and slats can gather players they feel fit well into the system that the organization is teaching.

so far, im lovin the uptempo, pressure-attack system we have played the first 3 games. we havent scored enough- mostly due to the pp (again !) but we seem to have better skaters now and that should allow us to play a defense first system and yet counterattack with speed and generate chances. it seems to be working, we havent given up alot at even strength yet we are creating chances and getting shots on net.
dude the devils in the last 5 years have had Rafalski, and Nieds... also for a good stretch Elias was most definately an Elite player.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 09:42 AM
  #8
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..
 
offdacrossbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: da cuse
Country: Tuvalu
Posts: 8,978
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
dude the devils in the last 5 years have had Rafalski, and Nieds... also for a good stretch Elias was most definately an Elite player.
what? elias and rafalski are not elite talents bro. they are very good hockey players but elite. um. no.

elite is crosby. ovech. lacavalier. kovalchuk.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 09:44 AM
  #9
JohnnyRanger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 41
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
neither do the devils or the sabres but over the last 5 years both organizations have done pretty well. its less about elite players as it is a system that fits the players you have. now that we are rid of jaromir, who wanted things his way, renney and slats can gather players they feel fit well into the system that the organization is teaching.

so far, im lovin the uptempo, pressure-attack system we have played the first 3 games. we havent scored enough- mostly due to the pp (again !) but we seem to have better skaters now and that should allow us to play a defense first system and yet counterattack with speed and generate chances. it seems to be working, we havent given up alot at even strength yet we are creating chances and getting shots on net.
Speaking of the PP, weren't we suppose to bolster that this off season? what are we so far 2-30? ....I love Reddens shot from the point BTW, he isn't afraid to pull the trigger...ehmm Rozi

JohnnyRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 09:46 AM
  #10
ogie
Registered User
 
ogie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Staten Island
Country: United States
Posts: 1,271
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRanger View Post
Speaking of the PP, weren't we suppose to bolster that this off season? what are we so far 2-30? ....I love Reddens shot from the point BTW, he isn't afraid to pull the trigger...ehmm Rozi
yea three preseason games and the PP is already a failure.

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 09:48 AM
  #11
zestystrat
Registered User
 
zestystrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: NYC > Atlanta
Country: United States
Posts: 621
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogie View Post
yea three preseason games and the PP is already a failure.
Yes, no need to visit our happy place just yet.

zestystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 10:07 AM
  #12
NYROrtsFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,997
vCash: 500
The offensive creativity left with Nylander. And all those losers in the Garden constantly screaming "SHOOOOOOOOTTT" doesn't help either.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 10:13 AM
  #13
DontStepanMe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Queens, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,383
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
what? elias and rafalski are not elite talents bro. they are very good hockey players but elite. um. no.

elite is crosby. ovech. lacavalier. kovalchuk.
Elias had a stretch for about a year and a half where he was absolutely dominant. 03-04 he was 6th in scoring. in 05-06 he put up 45 pts in 38 games and was the sole reason why the debbies were able to overtake us.

also in 00-01 he was 3rd in scoring... so he is an enigma. some years he is one of the best wingers in the game... other years he is just average. but the years the devils were really good, he was leading the team and playing in elite form.

Rafalski on the other hand:

07-08 8th in scoring for dmen
06-07 11th
05-06 14th
04-05 24th
03-04 18th

but remember he played for a defense first devils team. One that had Niedermeyer on it those bottom three years. So I really do consider him an elite offensive defensemen.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 10:16 AM
  #14
Gardner McKay
Moderator
Cupcake schedule.
 
Gardner McKay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SoutheastOfDisorder
Country: United States
Posts: 12,104
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
what? elias and rafalski are not elite talents bro. they are very good hockey players but elite. um. no.

elite is crosby. ovech. lacavalier. kovalchuk.
And what did the Bolts and Thrashers do last year? Nothin they did not make the playoffs.

Crosby didnt make the playoffs till year two and got swept in the first round.

And last year was ovechkins first year making the playoffs. Elite players dont make a team unless there is a solid supportin gcast.

__________________
"If someone offers you an amazing opportunity and you're not sure you can do it, say yes - then learn how to do it later" - Richard Branson
Gardner McKay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 10:19 AM
  #15
Mr Bojanglez
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Mr Bojanglez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: From Jersey w/ Love
Country: United States
Posts: 10,922
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
what? elias and rafalski are not elite talents bro. they are very good hockey players but elite. um. no.

elite is crosby. ovech. lacavalier. kovalchuk.
Elias did finish tied for 3rd in goals in 2004, 6th in points overall. I guess it hingest on your definition of elite, though. At times he was certainly in the upper echelon of forwards in the NHL, top 5 Left Winger. Man I miss those days...

Not sure if I consider Rafalski an elite defenseman. If you want to put the label "elite offensive-defenseman" I'll buy that... but I think its lame when you keep adding adjectives so that it fits a person (Jarome Iginla is the greatest half Nigerian breed player in the NHL ever)

When Gomez left, it wasn't so much that Gomez was this amazing player we missed... we missed his creativity. His ability to do something unpredictable. You have creativity now.

I think with Naslund, Gomez and Zherdov you have your creativity. Dont' foget, Naslund did pot 48 goals one year. He's a professional, and a veteran still relatively young. He wasted his prime years over the past couple of seasons, but still has 2 very good seasons left in the tank

Mr Bojanglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 10:35 AM
  #16
TheSchwab
Registered User
 
TheSchwab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,080
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to TheSchwab
Preseason love.

TheSchwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 10:37 AM
  #17
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time
 
I Am Chariot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 14,570
vCash: 500
Drafting elite players is tough. Occasionally you get lucky and land a Lundqvist/Zetterberg in a late round but normally you have to sss suck to get the best shot at the true elite talent in the draft.

Lord knows the Rangers had those opportunities and blew them. Its only now that we see Staal and Dubi "perhaps" looking like real impact type players.

Landing already developed Elite players is VERY expensive on the open market.

Its not an easy need to address. Every team has the need. The Rangers are lucky that players generally see benefits in living in NYC, so at least there is some interest to play here for the right contract. Vancouver and Edmonton struggle to even get players to consider taking their Millions.

__________________
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man
I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 10:44 AM
  #18
coolbean04
Registered User
 
coolbean04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,772
vCash: 500
I really think we need to get a guy like Gaborik. We need a 40+ goal scorer with Gomez and Zherdev.

coolbean04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 10:51 AM
  #19
segmentation fault
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Jersey City
Country: United States
Posts: 2,318
vCash: 500
I would say Dubi is pretty creative. Can he pull everything off yet, no. But wait and see.

segmentation fault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 11:11 AM
  #20
JohnnyRanger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 41
vCash: 500
I think you guys are missing the point I was trying to get across…Im not looking for players like Kovi or Gabby, we have all the talent on the team right now. What we are missing is a system that spurs offensive creativity, it kills me when I keep seeing behind the back passes at the blue line just to see them broken up and then see a rush the other way. We need some give and goes, crisp tape to tape passes (stop with these soft floaters), split the D with some passes through the middle instead of rushing it up, and get some bodies in front of the damn net…I think our D corps can handle themselves back there, if our forwards are too worried about there defense responsibilities there’s no way they’ll be able to generate any offense

JohnnyRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 11:25 AM
  #21
squishy
Registered User
 
squishy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,149
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRanger View Post
I don’t know if this has been discussed, but its something that bothers me day in and day out. The Rangers lack one thing that can make them an elite team, and that’s offensive creativity.
We had offensive creativity but everyone clamored for North-South, hard-hitting, grind-it-out North Americans. Wish granted.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 11:33 AM
  #22
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor
 
GAGLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 9,867
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRanger View Post
I think you guys are missing the point I was trying to get across…Im not looking for players like Kovi or Gabby, we have all the talent on the team right now. What we are missing is a system that spurs offensive creativity, it kills me when I keep seeing behind the back passes at the blue line just to see them broken up and then see a rush the other way. We need some give and goes, crisp tape to tape passes (stop with these soft floaters), split the D with some passes through the middle instead of rushing it up, and get some bodies in front of the damn net…I think our D corps can handle themselves back there, if our forwards are too worried about there defense responsibilities there’s no way they’ll be able to generate any offense
It has nothing to do with the system. Being responsible defensively doesn't stifle offense. If you do it right, it creates offense in the form of counterattacks. From there it's the job of the players to cash in on those scoring opportunities.

Look at detroit. Do you think they sacrifice defense for offense? Renney's system is basically the same as what detroit has done for years. It works. The key is getting the players to execute it. And I think moreso this year than any other, they have those players.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 11:35 AM
  #23
TheSchwab
Registered User
 
TheSchwab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,080
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to TheSchwab
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
It has nothing to do with the system. Being responsible defensively doesn't stifle offense. If you do it right, it creates offense in the form of counterattacks. From there it's the job of the players to cash in on those scoring opportunities.

Look at detroit. Do you think they sacrifice defense for offense? Renney's system is basically the same as what detroit has done for years. It works. The key is getting the players to execute it. And I think moreso this year than any other, they have those players.
BINGO

TheSchwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 11:37 AM
  #24
DontStepanMe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Queens, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,383
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
We had offensive creativity but everyone clamored for North-South, hard-hitting, grind-it-out North Americans. Wish granted.
so true... so sad...

I still miss our euro based teams. always hated the N-S game. but still going to root for them. Just wish we were more offensively oriented, and not so defensive minded (Renneys fault).

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 11:40 AM
  #25
Bury Your Head
 
Bury Your Head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,861
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
We had offensive creativity but everyone clamored for North-South, hard-hitting, grind-it-out North Americans. Wish granted.
Maybe this will cheer you up:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/5...ack-in-the-nhl

Bury Your Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:35 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.