HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Del Zotto

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-24-2008, 12:49 AM
  #76
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 6,629
vCash: 500
Not sure why DZ can't get a 10 game NHL tryout if he plays this way the rest of the preseason.

In those 10 games you can gauge if he's ready or not.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 01:06 AM
  #77
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,314
vCash: 500
becaus thats 10 more games where someone else will have to sit out and the team wont be finalized....with so much turnover already i wouldnt want to not have a set roster(at least the main parts) right at the beginning of the season

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 02:20 AM
  #78
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 6,629
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
becaus thats 10 more games where someone else will have to sit out and the team wont be finalized....with so much turnover already i wouldnt want to not have a set roster(at least the main parts) right at the beginning of the season
When has a Glen Sather run, Tom Renney coached team ever been finalized by the 10th game?

Gimme the best possible lineup at any given time. The first five games it may include MDZ, but after the first ten it may not. Send him down, no harm done at all...

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 05:19 AM
  #79
jas
Unsatisfied
 
jas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 13,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatum View Post
This was my scouting report on MDZ from January 2008. You guys got an absolute gem with Del Zotto, but he definitely needs another year at least of junior. I think bring him up when he's 20 and he should be able to run your PP and just be a solid defenseman.
You have been the biggest non-Ranger fan backer of DZ that I've seen on HF. Nice call on you part. I lobbied for the pick if he was there before the draft, and loved when the Rangers made the pick. He could be a top pairing D-man paired with the right partner.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 06:02 AM
  #80
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,491
vCash: 500
It seems to me that Del Zotto is out there, just playing loose and enjoying the opportunity.

Sanguinetti looks like he's out there and uptight, worried about making mistakes, playing conservative because he knows this is really the first training camp he's supposed to make an impression in.

Hopefully he loosens up and does his thing as the season goes on

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 06:28 AM
  #81
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 17,536
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
I disagree about Staal being out of place his first preseason. He played against the Isles in the first preseason game in 2005. It was the first game with the 'new' obstruction rules. His only negative was that he was overly aggressive leading to three minors. Again, it was new rules and I'm still disappointed that the organization was hell-bent on getting the roster set to get a jump on the new season that it didn't have time to see if Staal adjusted in his second game. In his second preseason, I thought he had a rough go-at-it. He pressed too much because he really didn't want to go back to juniors, where it was feared he may regress.
I lost a preseason for Staal, only thought this was his 3rd, but its of course his 4th. I think, I am a bit tired...

Anyway, Staal at a very young age wasn't nearly as coordinated as he is today. Like he was still as outstanding in terms of everything that he is about, like poise et c, but he was clearly not as developed physically and in his skating.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 06:30 AM
  #82
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,118
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
becaus thats 10 more games where someone else will have to sit out and the team wont be finalized....with so much turnover already i wouldnt want to not have a set roster(at least the main parts) right at the beginning of the season
Thats your reasoning for not wanting to let DZ get a 10 game tryout, are you serious?

So you're telling me that DZ shouldnt get that very SMALL 10 game tryout to show if this preseason hasnt been a fluke because he is pretty ready for the NHL no matter what his size is, just because Kalinin would have to sit out???? PUHH-LEEZE!!! I'd rather let DZ get the 10 game tryout bc you know what, if he shows he belongs and can handle it then we just add some extra offensive ability on defense and it allows us to dump Kalinin's contract.

If he keeps this play up he deserves the 10 games tryout and I honestly think he would keep his play up and we'd keep him. Throughout the season we could always give him a rest here and there by inserting Pock or maybe even Kalinin if we couldn't deal him and what not. And any help he may need on his defensive game, he can learn a lot from an NHL coaching staff and a guy like staal and others.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 09:01 AM
  #83
Mr Bojanglez
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Mr Bojanglez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: From Jersey w/ Love
Country: United States
Posts: 10,922
vCash: 50
He looked solid last night. I was thinking this before. He used to play with Stamkos, correct? He's used to playing with NHL-level talent. Maybe they should try him out in some NHL games because AHL games might stifle him. Just a thought. Good pick up

Mr Bojanglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 10:18 AM
  #84
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,426
vCash: 500
Considering...

it would likely mean that Kalanin sit for a few games, and perhaps Pock would be the 8th defenseman, while others competing, namely Potter, can spend his days getting playing time in HFD; in theory, having a guy up for a taste of NHL games wouldn't hurt while trying to finalizing the roster.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 10:26 AM
  #85
Unk
 
Unk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: In A Better Place
Country: Liechtenstein
Posts: 698
vCash: 500
Before he can even have a 9 game tryout (I think it's 9 games max) he needs to be signed. Will he and the team even time have to work out a contract in the middle of preseason if he's gonna be playing possibly an extra 2+ games? Plus is there any point in the a 9 game tryout if we know he's gonna be sent back down to juniors anyway? Only thing it could be good for I guess is gaining some NHL experience to work w/ over the season.

Unk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 10:38 AM
  #86
Synergy27
Registered User
 
Synergy27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Portland, OR
Country: United States
Posts: 4,544
vCash: 500
I could not be more excited about the Rangers future on the blueline. Staal, Sanguinetti, Del Zotto and the unexpected emergence of Girardi are really making the Jessiman pick much easier to swallow. I figure we'll see all 4 of those guys plus Redden and Rozsival by 2011/2012, and I expect that to be at least a top 5 unit in the NHL.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 10:41 AM
  #87
Bird Law
Daisy's back.
 
Bird Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 72,824
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unk View Post
Before he can even have a 9 game tryout (I think it's 9 games max) he needs to be signed. Will he and the team even time have to work out a contract in the middle of preseason if he's gonna be playing possibly an extra 2+ games? Plus is there any point in the a 9 game tryout if we know he's gonna be sent back down to juniors anyway? Only thing it could be good for I guess is gaining some NHL experience to work w/ over the season.
He's expected to be signed any day now.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 10:48 AM
  #88
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,118
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unk View Post
Before he can even have a 9 game tryout (I think it's 9 games max) he needs to be signed. Will he and the team even time have to work out a contract in the middle of preseason if he's gonna be playing possibly an extra 2+ games? Plus is there any point in the a 9 game tryout if we know he's gonna be sent back down to juniors anyway? Only thing it could be good for I guess is gaining some NHL experience to work w/ over the season.
We dont know he'd be going back to juniors anyways. In fact there's no real point in giving him the tryout if they're not looking to see if he can handle the NHL level so they can keep him here. I mean why would they send him out there for 9 games with the decision already being made to send him back because then thats just like saying you dont think he's ready and all your doing is risking injury along with discouragement.

But in all honesty, I think he could handle the nhl level and i think he will be signed quite soon and will make this team. And someone will be moved for him.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 10:50 AM
  #89
Bird Law
Daisy's back.
 
Bird Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 72,824
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post
We dont know he'd be going back to juniors anyways. In fact there's no real point in giving him the tryout if they're not looking to see if he can handle the NHL level so they can keep him here. I mean why would they send him out there for 9 games with the decision already being made to send him back because then thats just like saying you dont think he's ready and all your doing is risking injury along with discouragement.

But in all honesty, I think he could handle the nhl level and i think he will be signed quite soon and will make this team. And someone will be moved for him.
Because he gets a taste of the league, gets disappointed when he's sent back, and works his ass off to make the team the next year. If you have a guy with the talent of Del Zotto, doing that can only help him.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 11:03 AM
  #90
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,811
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy27 View Post
I could not be more excited about the Rangers future on the blueline. Staal, Sanguinetti, Del Zotto and the unexpected emergence of Girardi are really making the Jessiman pick much easier to swallow. I figure we'll see all 4 of those guys plus Redden and Rozsival by 2011/2012, and I expect that to be at least a top 5 unit in the NHL.
Im willing to bet the foursome of Staal, Girardi, Sanguinetti, and Del Zotto never play an NHL game together on the same team...but hey, thats just me.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 11:41 AM
  #91
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,426
vCash: 500
Bleed...

is that because they all aren't NHLers?

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 11:46 AM
  #92
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,811
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
is that because they all aren't NHLers?
No, although thats a possibility. We know Staal and Girardi are NHLers and it remains to be seen with Sanguinetti and Del Zotto. I made that statement particularly with the latter 2 in mind anyway. By all accounts, Sanguinetti and Del Zotto are similar, offensive defensemen. I just have a feeling that the Rangers will monitor their progress over the next couple of years and keep the best one and trade the other. That just seems like a much more likely scenario to me than having a mostly home-grown blueline.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 11:49 AM
  #93
DontStepanMe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Queens, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,381
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post
We dont know he'd be going back to juniors anyways. In fact there's no real point in giving him the tryout if they're not looking to see if he can handle the NHL level so they can keep him here. I mean why would they send him out there for 9 games with the decision already being made to send him back because then thats just like saying you dont think he's ready and all your doing is risking injury along with discouragement.

But in all honesty, I think he could handle the nhl level and i think he will be signed quite soon and will make this team. And someone will be moved for him.
well St. Louis is looking for D-men now b/c Johsnon is done for the year.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 11:58 AM
  #94
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,426
vCash: 500
Thanks for the clarification...

what I believe is that if Del Zotto and Sangs prove to be NHLers in the next two seasons, it's highly likely you see all four in the lineup in two seasons. I say highly likely because you'd have a couple up and comers making, hopefully, less than $1MM in a salary cap era, and that's what this team wants. Sure they are simliar type players, so are Rozsival, Redden, Girardi and Mara. They hopefully can move the puck well and play good positional defense. Will that last a long time? Perhaps not, and if they stay may depend on what happens with other youth in the organization. I agree with your point about trading guys, but there are going to be other factors involved in those decisions.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 12:19 PM
  #95
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UES
Posts: 6,621
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyH2O View Post
He used to play with Stamkos, correct?
yup

http://www.omha.net/tournament/tournaments.asp

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 12:28 PM
  #96
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,314
vCash: 500
having more than one puck-mover on your team is never a bad thing.....see detroit.....or anaheim.....

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:56 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.