HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Luca Sbisa

View Poll Results: When decision time comes, will he stay in the NHL or be sent back to juniors?
Yes, he will stay with the Flyers 98 75.38%
No, he will be sent back to juniors 32 24.62%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Old
09-23-2008, 09:11 PM
JagerPuck

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to JagerPuck
Nexy year:
Bodrov
Lehtivuori
Kevin Marshall
Sbisa

JagerPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 09:29 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELab2 View Post
No chance this year... maybe next year

there will be huge turnover once again on this team next year though

Lehtivuori, Ratchuk, Marshall, Bartulis, Bodrov, and Sbisa all have a good shot at being pretty close to ready. That's a lot of d-men.
bartulis and ratchuk are no where near ready. not even close. they would get pushed around so bad you would cry. bartulis imo will never make it. the others i have no idea not seeing them play.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 09:57 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
bartulis and ratchuk are no where near ready. not even close. they would get pushed around so bad you would cry. bartulis imo will never make it. the others i have no idea not seeing them play.
That's not really true. Bartulis could see some call up time this season depending on circumstance. Ratchuk i agree with

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 11:23 PM
ELab2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
either way. I disagree about Bartulis but i agree that Ratchuck will be not be ready for full time next year.

We've got a ton of dmen though, quite a turn around that Homer made happen

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 11:53 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
you cannot get excited, thrilled whatever about how a prospect looks in a preseason game. Let him get his feet wet in the preseason games and send him back to junior in a week or so.

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 01:54 AM
Rick Deckard

Don Luce about Luca Sbisa, Courier Post, 07/25/08

Quote:
"Too many players get to the NHL because of their physical abilities, but mentally they're not strong enough to deal with the demands," Luce said.

"They go down to the minors, they lose confidence and the hole they're in is deeper than they one they started with.

"Sbisa has the potential to step in quickly," Luce said, "but realistically, he'll need two years pro before he's ready. That doesn't mean it's going to take two years; it might take one. But for him I'd say two years. He's got a good sense of the game and that should come along with time."
If you add what Stevens says about Downie and Giroux all the time, the talk about being mentally ready to play a game every second day and the difference between juniors, minors and the NHL, you know that Sbisa won't make the team this season, not even for a nine game stint. They won't destroy his confidence.

Rick Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 10:51 AM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Deckard View Post
Don Luce about Luca Sbisa, Courier Post, 07/25/08

If you add what Stevens says about Downie and Giroux all the time, the talk about being mentally ready to play a game every second day and the difference between juniors, minors and the NHL, you know that Sbisa won't make the team this season, not even for a nine game stint. They won't destroy his confidence.
VERY GOOD POINT!

Sbisa is a very good player but he will finish this year and next in juniors and then most likely spend at least 1 year and probably 2 in the AHL. Marshall will play this year in juniors and spend the following 2 in the AHL. Bartilus and Ratchuk will play this year in the AHL with limited call-up duty. Bartilus will likely never see a full time roster spot in the NHL, he's just not quiye good enough. Ratchuk is better but still likely only a bottom pairing guy. Parent would probably benefit from another year in the AHL but I think we will have to press him into service this year however I think we will try and bring him along slowly on the Flyers and place him on the bottom pairing getting about 12-15 mins a game.

Just remember guys, both Jack Johnson and Eric Johnson didn't make their team until they were 20-years old (other than a 5 game call-up for each at the end of the season when they were 19) and they are both considered franchise dmen in the making. Sbisa, Parent and Marshall are good but they aren't anywhere close to the potential of what the 2 Johnson's are.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 11:02 AM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
No, that's EXACTLY what his philosophy of player development is. That in the long-term young players are far better served in their development by a full season in the AHL...no matter how good they might be. We may or may not agree with that, I just find it odd you'd be such a huge Luce supporter, while at the same time directly disagreeing with one of the main aspects of his developmental philosophy.
I'm not saying Sbisa should make the team, but the philosophy should have exceptions. Do you think if Luce draft Eric Lindros or Sidney Crosby that he would have them play a year in the AHL?

There are examples on both sides that you can rush a player and stunt his development or that players don't always need to go to the AHL to get seasoning.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 11:55 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
I'm not saying Sbisa should make the team, but the philosophy should have exceptions. Do you think if Luce draft Eric Lindros or Sidney Crosby that he would have them play a year in the AHL?
Generational talents don't really have a place in the discussion. Not to say I don't agree with you, I'm just noting that outliers are pretty worthless because...they're outliers.

Quote:
There are examples on both sides that you can rush a player and stunt his development or that players don't always need to go to the AHL to get seasoning.
Not debating that, just noting what Luce's philosophy of player development is...which was noted above in direct quotes. Are there players that can physically play in the league at a very tender age? Absolutely. Does their ability to physically play in the league necessarily lead to that being the optimal development path? No.

Playing in the AHL can help a player develop confidence that he might not otherwise get while struggling to compete against stiffer NHL competition. I think offensive creativity can be spurned by playing at a lower league...rather than just trying to keep your head above water, the ability to dominate can lead to experimentation.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 12:17 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
The issue isn't the veteran, it's the short-sighted "must be now" mentality with young talented players. Not everyone, even if they have the hockey talent, should be playing in the NHL. You can't tell me for a moment Joni Pitkanen wouldn't have been better off playing in Finland for a couple of years...people point DIRECTLY to the Flyers keeping Dainus Zubrus up at 18 y/o for stunting his offensive potential at the NHL level.

No, that's EXACTLY what his philosophy of player development is. That in the long-term young players are far better served in their development by a full season in the AHL...no matter how good they might be. We may or may not agree with that, I just find it odd you'd be such a huge Luce supporter, while at the same time directly disagreeing with one of the main aspects of his developmental philosophy.
I think people here are spoiled that with our top prospects, with Bob Clarke, it was sink or swim, boom or bust, immediately. Even though Pitkanen went back to Finland for a year, I believe he wanted to sign him straight out of the draft. I think you're right about Zubrus, I think the same happened with Williams. Both of them went to teams where coaches worked with them instead of making them work for coaches (and Clarke).

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 12:25 PM
BringBackStevens

People need a bit of patience, especially with guys like Sbisa and Bourdon. Luckily in the past few years we have really restocked and have legit defensive prospects out the ears

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2008, 06:59 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Why all the hate on ratchuk. The guy is tearing up the AHL at the moment

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2008, 07:15 AM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inebriator View Post
People need a bit of patience, especially with guys like Sbisa and Bourdon. Luckily in the past few years we have really restocked and have legit defensive prospects out the ears
Not to mention the fact that defenseman take a little bit longer to develope than a forward. Having a knack for the back of the net is something that translates from level to level so young forwards can make the leap but adjusting to the speed of the game is a lot harder when players are coming at you instead of you going at them which is why defenseman need more time. Give them time, its not liek we dont have a bunch of NHL ready defenseman.

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2008, 08:23 AM
CdnFlyersFan

Went to the Flyers game last night. Sbisa looked good for the most part (I thought all the info yesterday said he was cut???). Took a bad penalty...but held his own, and made some good hits. Ottawa took exception to some of his loose stick work and pasted him all over the boards in the 3rd period. It seemed like everyone in a Sens jersey threw a hit at hit.

CdnFlyersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2008, 09:15 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnFlyersFan View Post
Went to the Flyers game last night. Sbisa looked good for the most part (I thought all the info yesterday said he was cut???). Took a bad penalty...but held his own, and made some good hits. Ottawa took exception to some of his loose stick work and pasted him all over the boards in the 3rd period. It seemed like everyone in a Sens jersey threw a hit at hit.
Yeah, I thought it was bizarre they were reporting him cut when other stuff was saying he made the trip. However, I would wager they just informed everyone he'd be coming back at some point soon and are keeping him around to get a taste.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2008, 09:09 PM
Quellet The Dogs Out

I caught up with Sbisa at the draft in Ottawa. I had the only original stuff from the draft, as I was the only member of the Philly media actually present.

So, you might enjoy the last half of the article about Sbisa. He is a good kid and a hard worker. But mentally, he definitely has a good head on his shoulders.

http://philadelphia.comcastsportsnet...x.asp?ID=66673

Quellet The Dogs Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2008, 09:14 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Thanks for posting that QTDO. I love this line:

Quote:
When I told him that he was correct and that he would like the city and its passionate fans, he was thrilled.

“I think I will like it there and do well,” he said. “No. Wait. Correct that. I know I will.”
Philadelphia will like him too, if he keeps that attitude. And from what we've seen so far, he'll do well.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2008, 09:38 PM
Canad93

saw him get tossed around against the Isles..Doesn't look small but he is not very strong on his skates.

Canad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2008, 11:14 PM
Quellet The Dogs Out

Actually, he is one of the strongest skaters in the organization. Definitely up there with Ratchuk.

At prospect camp earlier this summer he was clearly one of the most fundamentally sound skaters, especially when it comes to power skating.

He is a big frame for just an 18 year old. Not many, as Stevens pointed out too, are in that kind of shape for his age. He is well past his years in that regard.

Quellet The Dogs Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 09:49 PM
Kaktus*

R.J scored a goal tonight... I wish him luck.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 01:38 AM
Canad93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quellet The Dogs Out View Post
Actually, he is one of the strongest skaters in the organization. Definitely up there with Ratchuk.

At prospect camp earlier this summer he was clearly one of the most fundamentally sound skaters, especially when it comes to power skating.

He is a big frame for just an 18 year old. Not many, as Stevens pointed out too, are in that kind of shape for his age. He is well past his years in that regard.
I havn't followed him in his development, I'm just saying what I saw at the Flyers-Isles game..he took a couple of moderate hits and just flew. I'm not saying he is not a good skater, I should have been more clear...I was just referring to his trouble standing his ground along the boards. It's not a big deal, just saying what I saw.

Canad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 02:55 AM
ELab2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canad93 View Post
I havn't followed him in his development, I'm just saying what I saw at the Flyers-Isles game..he took a couple of moderate hits and just flew. I'm not saying he is not a good skater, I should have been more clear...I was just referring to his trouble standing his ground along the boards. It's not a big deal, just saying what I saw.
I thought you were plenty clear and I agree. He's not a big guy and he's young so he'll take some time to learn how to play those situations and he'll also fill out some.

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 03:18 PM
chaosof99*

Not sure if this has ever been posted here, but this is a nice video of Sbisa. First he levels Scott Glennie. Brayden Schenn (Luke Schenn's brother) comes in to take revenge only to get his ass whooped.

As for the original question: I think Sbisa has amazing talent and depending on his performance in the rest of the preseason, he might actually make it into the final roster. However, I think it's more likely that he'll be sent back to juniors for another year for seasoning. In that case, he'll make the team next year for sure.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 03:23 PM
Gert B Frobe

I thought he played very well today - he sure has confidence and can skate extremely well. At 18 years old he didn't look out of place. He made a couple of mistakes but I think he is going to be an excellent NHL defenseman in 2 years.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 03:30 PM
decadentia

He could turn into something very promising. At first I was slightly concerned his origin of Switzerland. Now, I generally don't judge a book by it's cover, but Switzerland has not had the best track record with growing talent...beyond a couple decent goalies and a defenseman I can think of.

It's nice to be wrong though.

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote