HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"Change of Scenery Refreshes Redden"

Old
09-24-2008, 01:02 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by motime42 View Post
Redden has made 2 mistakes so far. Thats all. In 2 games he has made 2 errors. This is preseason. You cant expect guys to be 100% ready to play in midseason form. What other reasons are there for preseason?

edit: I also think this is a case where people are looking for a new whipping boy.
Its called the Malik treatment, some people can't get over not having him to abuse, cause afterall, every player should be perfect right?

We've been watching this team bring in FA's for many years, one common thing almost all share is that they take some time to get acclimated to the team, city, etc. Drury & Gomez didnt have tremendous preseason either, you have to realize theres gonna be some getting used to here.

I like Redden so far, not worried about him.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 01:20 PM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Its called the Malik treatment, some people can't get over not having him to abuse, cause afterall, every player should be perfect right?

We've been watching this team bring in FA's for many years, one common thing almost all share is that they take some time to get acclimated to the team, city, etc. Drury & Gomez didnt have tremendous preseason either, you have to realize theres gonna be some getting used to here.

I like Redden so far, not worried about him.
I guess we're not allowed opinions here?! I see a player make one mistake and next thing I see are comments about how it's preseason and it's OK and how we're picking on him because he's the next whipping boy.

Amazing.

Jackson Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 01:24 PM
TheSchwab

Send a message via MSN to TheSchwab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Ranger View Post
I guess we're not allowed opinions here?! I see a player make one mistake and next thing I see are comments about how it's preseason and it's OK and how we're picking on him because he's the next whipping boy.

Amazing.
No, you are getting ripped apart because your idea of a "mistake" is just an unlucky play for a guy who has been playing very solid pre-season hockey.

I said it before and I'll blatantly say it to you again, no NHL skater can skate faster backwards than they can going Forwards, and Ibister had a good 20/30/possibly even 50 foot head start on Redden; all while he had to transition during that time.

We are defending him because you're wrong.

TheSchwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 01:31 PM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSchwab View Post
No, you are getting ripped apart because your idea of a "mistake" is just an unlucky play for a guy who has been playing very solid pre-season hockey.

I said it before and I'll blatantly say it to you again, no NHL skater can skate faster backwards than they can going Forwards, and Ibister had a good 20/30/possibly even 50 foot head start on Redden; all while he had to transition during that time.

We are defending him because you're wrong.
If you're going to state an argument, get your facts right! I haven't said one word about the Isbister play! I'm talking the Artyukhin play where he blew by Redden!

Now, you want to fly off the handle again and tell me I'm wrong on this play as well I'd seriously doubt your hockey knowledge.

Old
09-24-2008, 01:32 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
People I fail to see any scenario where someone should be "ripped apart". Please be civil.

09-24-2008, 01:47 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
If you're going to state an argument, get your facts right! I haven't said one word about the Isbister play! I'm talking the Artyukhin play where he blew by Redden!

Now, you want to fly off the handle again and tell me I'm wrong on this play as well I'd seriously doubt your hockey knowledge.
Under a microscope - yeah that wasnt good.

Overall big picture - that play was small potatoes compared to the positives he brings to the table.

Come on, this argument is so Michal Roszileetch

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 01:51 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Ooh, I like the "view post" thing when you quote someone! Sorry, OT.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 01:51 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Ranger fans are out for blood every season with regards to a handful of players, usually defensemen.

Redden and Kalinen will be the two scapegoats this year. If you watch Rangers hockey for enough years, you kind of become used to it.
Worst part is that defense is probably the hardest position to play (other than goalie), yet everyone roasts defensemen like no other. A forward can mess up 20 times a game and go unnoticed, a defenseman can mess up once and everyone notices.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 01:58 PM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Under a microscope - yeah that wasnt good.

Overall big picture - that play was small potatoes compared to the positives he brings to the table.

Come on, this argument is so Michal Roszileetch
Leave it to you get me to laugh after all of this.

And BTW, aren't we all perfect?

Old
09-24-2008, 02:17 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Wow Regular season started and theres already a thread on how bad Redden's pre-season play is.

Who said after the Craig goal someone will make a Redden thread, jokingly?

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 02:44 PM
Blueshirt24

I think Redden's been pretty damn good. I was at the Ottawa game (@MSG) and will be at the Lightning game tomorrow. Sure, Redden got caught a little flat footed on the Isbister goal, but it truly isn't the end of the world and yeah, Artyukhin made him look bad on the goal last night as well, but two mistakes hardly negates all of the positives that are already evident from bringing in Redden. He's a very steady presence, overall, to add to our defense; something that I feel we've been lacking for sure. He is great to have on the ice on the powerplay and will be a god-send in general when cycling the puck in the opponent's end.

Let's let the lines get settled for a while, see Redden with a different partner and see how much more effort he may (or may not) put in when the games actually mean something before we start roasting him over isolated incidents which, to be fair, have been the exceptions - not the rule - in his play. I think you'd be hard pressed to argue that Redden is undoubtedly giving 100%, and since we can be pretty sure that he isn't, I'm not about to poop a chicken over the fact that he made a couple of mistakes in the pre-season.

His overall play has been sound, solid and responsible and his contribution to the offense is pretty clear. He may not be on the board yet, but he will obviously provide more than a couple of things which we were hurting for last year. I have a good feeling about Redden in a Rangers uniform and I would suggest that it's best if the fans DON'T get all over his case early in the season (or in this case, before the season even begins...) if we're hoping that he has a comfortable transition and falls right into place by the end of the season's first month. If I start hearing fans boo whenever he touches the puck I might not be able to go to Rangers games this year.

Blueshirt24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 03:05 PM
TheSchwab

Send a message via MSN to TheSchwab
Quote:

Whoops, mb, thought you were someone else.

I rush sometimes because im in class.

TheSchwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 03:14 PM
darrenturcotte#8

Quote:
I saw the first play where Artyuhkin (sp?) blew by him and was shocked. I could care less if this is a preseason game or not, Redden wasn't anywhere close to being able to stop the 6'5" freight train. I find it troubling an NHL veteran defenseman could be burned that badly.

Now, is he a little "rusty"? Maybe or he didn't anticipate the speed of the Artyuhkin and made a mistake which is easily correctable.

Either way, I know I will be keeping a close eye on his play and we'll see where it is when the "real" games start.
FINALLY!!! A voice of reason. I'm not saying the sky is falling and I'm aware its pre season guys. The point is he was BRUTAL as a Sen the past few yrs and these two plays are indicative of his play there. I hated the signing when it was made and this is why. I watched the replay again today and its worse then I thought. On top of 2 big slow F's blowing past him, he also skated right past the rebound that was sitting there. I dont want to be negative but I can't remember a vet d-man getting burned twice in two pre season games that badly by fringe NHLers. Its not like it was Crosby or Ovechkin guys...

darrenturcotte#8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 03:17 PM
Blueshirt24

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenturcotte#8 View Post
I dont want to be negative but I can't remember a vet d-man getting burned twice in two pre season games that badly by fringe NHLers. Its not like it was Crosby or Ovechkin guys...
That may be but Artyukhin and Isbister have a HELL of a lot more to prove in pre-season games than Redden does. In all likelihood, Redden is out there giving 85% and these guys are going at 115% hoping to make a good impression. He also may easily have underestimated them, and if not than heck, he made a mistake. It happens, but I doubt that Redden at 100% gets burned by Artyukhin and if he misplayed him in the pre-season, I don't think he's getting to bent out of shape about it.

Blueshirt24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 03:28 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetsyuk40 View Post
That may be but Artyukhin and Isbister have a HELL of a lot more to prove in pre-season games than Redden does. In all likelihood, Redden is out there giving 85% and these guys are going at 115% hoping to make a good impression. He also may easily have underestimated them, and if not than heck, he made a mistake. It happens, but I doubt that Redden at 100% gets burned by Artyukhin and if he misplayed him in the pre-season, I don't think he's getting to bent out of shape about it.
I agree. But to play devils advocate for a minute...a 7mm player should be able to hold his own at 85% over a sub 1mm journeyman forward, even if he is playing at 115%. But back to reality, it was a couple of plays out of a couple of meaningless pre-season games.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 04:18 PM
gmanwrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
I agree. But to play devils advocate for a minute...a 7mm player should be able to hold his own at 85% over a sub 1mm journeyman forward, even if he is playing at 115%. But back to reality, it was a couple of plays out of a couple of meaningless pre-season games.
lol...

it is only pre-season, but redden did get burned twice so far, ottawa & last night in tampa..

but what-ever.. better not happen in regular season..

gmanwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 06:05 PM
Kendo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetsyuk40 View Post
I'm not about to poop a chicken over the fact that he made a couple of mistakes in the pre-season.
Now that I've cleaned the beer off of my monitor...

I'm more worried about Kalinen's play, honestly.

Kendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 07:08 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Girardi not picking up Craig on the rebound surely had nothing to do with that goal.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 07:50 PM
shon

I can't believe this thread on how Redden and Girardi made 2 mistakes in 2 games. made good passes , good on the pp and pk.and they get ripped apart.
Staal and Rosival are absolutely horrid. couldn't make a pass for their life, mishandling the puck a few times every shift and losing most of the battles.
and they make maybe one or 2 routine defensive plays and they are wonderful

shon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2008, 12:49 AM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Just checked the calendar. Today's September 24.
Best post of the thread.

Redden will have his inconsistencies, I'm sure of that. But it's two plays in two exhibition games, let's wait until at least the regular season starts. I'm willing to give him a shot here and I think he's going to have a fine season.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2008, 12:58 AM
AverysGlasses

Send a message via Yahoo to AverysGlasses

AverysGlasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2008, 01:25 AM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanwrx View Post
but what-ever.. better not happen in regular season..
It will happen but when Redden is on, his breakout pass will make up for those mistakes when he kick starts the transition offense. (Of course I am assuming he has rebounded from last season)

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2008, 08:37 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fuhr View Post
It will happen but when Redden is on, his breakout pass will make up for those mistakes when he kick starts the transition offense. (Of course I am assuming he has rebounded from last season)
Redden have looked awsome so far. He have architechted(sp) the plays every time he have been on the ice. Brought stuff to this team in thoose aspects that we really haven't seen since Zubov's days.

On the 2 plays in question Zhe-Gom-Näs was out on the ice forgetting about the defensive aspects of the game -- and every 5 player on the team was standing still and putting zero pressure on the other team when they made a fast transition play. Redden was merely the only player who had some depth on the ice. If he had not been there we would basically have seen two 4 on 0's...

But sure, its not out of the picture to question how Redden handled said situations. Or especially Isbisters chance since Redden gambled on that but misjudged Isb speed. On Arthukins chance, what can you do? Nobody else is moving with the direction of Arth's, neither is Redden. In a normal situation like that you got 4 guys atleast skating with Arts and Redden can atleast opt to stear him towards someone else or try to just slow him down and hope that someone will be able to clean up behind him. But Redden is all alone on that play so its even useless to try to slow him down.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2008, 08:39 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AverysGlasses View Post
This belongs in every thread just about in this forum.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote