HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"Change of Scenery Refreshes Redden"

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-24-2008, 01:02 PM
  #26
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,676
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by motime42 View Post
Redden has made 2 mistakes so far. Thats all. In 2 games he has made 2 errors. This is preseason. You cant expect guys to be 100% ready to play in midseason form. What other reasons are there for preseason?

edit: I also think this is a case where people are looking for a new whipping boy.
Its called the Malik treatment, some people can't get over not having him to abuse, cause afterall, every player should be perfect right?

We've been watching this team bring in FA's for many years, one common thing almost all share is that they take some time to get acclimated to the team, city, etc. Drury & Gomez didnt have tremendous preseason either, you have to realize theres gonna be some getting used to here.

I like Redden so far, not worried about him.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 01:20 PM
  #27
Jackson Ranger
Registered User
 
Jackson Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 2,571
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Its called the Malik treatment, some people can't get over not having him to abuse, cause afterall, every player should be perfect right?

We've been watching this team bring in FA's for many years, one common thing almost all share is that they take some time to get acclimated to the team, city, etc. Drury & Gomez didnt have tremendous preseason either, you have to realize theres gonna be some getting used to here.

I like Redden so far, not worried about him.
I guess we're not allowed opinions here?! I see a player make one mistake and next thing I see are comments about how it's preseason and it's OK and how we're picking on him because he's the next whipping boy.

Amazing.

Jackson Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 01:24 PM
  #28
TheSchwab
Registered User
 
TheSchwab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,080
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to TheSchwab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Ranger View Post
I guess we're not allowed opinions here?! I see a player make one mistake and next thing I see are comments about how it's preseason and it's OK and how we're picking on him because he's the next whipping boy.

Amazing.
No, you are getting ripped apart because your idea of a "mistake" is just an unlucky play for a guy who has been playing very solid pre-season hockey.

I said it before and I'll blatantly say it to you again, no NHL skater can skate faster backwards than they can going Forwards, and Ibister had a good 20/30/possibly even 50 foot head start on Redden; all while he had to transition during that time.

We are defending him because you're wrong.

TheSchwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 01:31 PM
  #29
Jackson Ranger
Registered User
 
Jackson Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 2,571
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSchwab View Post
No, you are getting ripped apart because your idea of a "mistake" is just an unlucky play for a guy who has been playing very solid pre-season hockey.

I said it before and I'll blatantly say it to you again, no NHL skater can skate faster backwards than they can going Forwards, and Ibister had a good 20/30/possibly even 50 foot head start on Redden; all while he had to transition during that time.

We are defending him because you're wrong.
If you're going to state an argument, get your facts right! I haven't said one word about the Isbister play! I'm talking the Artyukhin play where he blew by Redden!

Now, you want to fly off the handle again and tell me I'm wrong on this play as well I'd seriously doubt your hockey knowledge.

Jackson Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 01:32 PM
  #30
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,860
vCash: 500
Awards:
People I fail to see any scenario where someone should be "ripped apart". Please be civil.

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 01:47 PM
  #31
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,676
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Ranger View Post
If you're going to state an argument, get your facts right! I haven't said one word about the Isbister play! I'm talking the Artyukhin play where he blew by Redden!

Now, you want to fly off the handle again and tell me I'm wrong on this play as well I'd seriously doubt your hockey knowledge.
Under a microscope - yeah that wasnt good.

Overall big picture - that play was small potatoes compared to the positives he brings to the table.

Come on, this argument is so Michal Roszileetch

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 01:51 PM
  #32
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 23,198
vCash: 500
Awards:
Ooh, I like the "view post" thing when you quote someone! Sorry, OT.

__________________

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 01:51 PM
  #33
WhipNash27
Quattro!!
 
WhipNash27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Westchester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 15,521
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Ranger fans are out for blood every season with regards to a handful of players, usually defensemen.

Redden and Kalinen will be the two scapegoats this year. If you watch Rangers hockey for enough years, you kind of become used to it.
Worst part is that defense is probably the hardest position to play (other than goalie), yet everyone roasts defensemen like no other. A forward can mess up 20 times a game and go unnoticed, a defenseman can mess up once and everyone notices.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 01:58 PM
  #34
Jackson Ranger
Registered User
 
Jackson Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 2,571
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Under a microscope - yeah that wasnt good.

Overall big picture - that play was small potatoes compared to the positives he brings to the table.

Come on, this argument is so Michal Roszileetch
Leave it to you get me to laugh after all of this.

And BTW, aren't we all perfect?

Jackson Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 02:17 PM
  #35
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh
 
Burlington Bomb 26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Green Mountain State
Country: United States
Posts: 16,615
vCash: 500
Wow Regular season started and theres already a thread on how bad Redden's pre-season play is.

Who said after the Craig goal someone will make a Redden thread, jokingly?

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 02:44 PM
  #36
Blueshirt24
 
Blueshirt24's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 284
vCash: 500
I think Redden's been pretty damn good. I was at the Ottawa game (@MSG) and will be at the Lightning game tomorrow. Sure, Redden got caught a little flat footed on the Isbister goal, but it truly isn't the end of the world and yeah, Artyukhin made him look bad on the goal last night as well, but two mistakes hardly negates all of the positives that are already evident from bringing in Redden. He's a very steady presence, overall, to add to our defense; something that I feel we've been lacking for sure. He is great to have on the ice on the powerplay and will be a god-send in general when cycling the puck in the opponent's end.

Let's let the lines get settled for a while, see Redden with a different partner and see how much more effort he may (or may not) put in when the games actually mean something before we start roasting him over isolated incidents which, to be fair, have been the exceptions - not the rule - in his play. I think you'd be hard pressed to argue that Redden is undoubtedly giving 100%, and since we can be pretty sure that he isn't, I'm not about to poop a chicken over the fact that he made a couple of mistakes in the pre-season.

His overall play has been sound, solid and responsible and his contribution to the offense is pretty clear. He may not be on the board yet, but he will obviously provide more than a couple of things which we were hurting for last year. I have a good feeling about Redden in a Rangers uniform and I would suggest that it's best if the fans DON'T get all over his case early in the season (or in this case, before the season even begins...) if we're hoping that he has a comfortable transition and falls right into place by the end of the season's first month. If I start hearing fans boo whenever he touches the puck I might not be able to go to Rangers games this year.

Blueshirt24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 03:05 PM
  #37
TheSchwab
Registered User
 
TheSchwab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,080
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to TheSchwab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Ranger View Post
If you're going to state an argument, get your facts right! I haven't said one word about the Isbister play! I'm talking the Artyukhin play where he blew by Redden!

Now, you want to fly off the handle again and tell me I'm wrong on this play as well I'd seriously doubt your hockey knowledge.
Whoops, mb, thought you were someone else.

I rush sometimes because im in class.

TheSchwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 03:14 PM
  #38
darrenturcotte#8
Registered User
 
darrenturcotte#8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,082
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Ranger View Post
I saw the first play where Artyuhkin (sp?) blew by him and was shocked. I could care less if this is a preseason game or not, Redden wasn't anywhere close to being able to stop the 6'5" freight train. I find it troubling an NHL veteran defenseman could be burned that badly.

Now, is he a little "rusty"? Maybe or he didn't anticipate the speed of the Artyuhkin and made a mistake which is easily correctable.

Either way, I know I will be keeping a close eye on his play and we'll see where it is when the "real" games start.
FINALLY!!! A voice of reason. I'm not saying the sky is falling and I'm aware its pre season guys. The point is he was BRUTAL as a Sen the past few yrs and these two plays are indicative of his play there. I hated the signing when it was made and this is why. I watched the replay again today and its worse then I thought. On top of 2 big slow F's blowing past him, he also skated right past the rebound that was sitting there. I dont want to be negative but I can't remember a vet d-man getting burned twice in two pre season games that badly by fringe NHLers. Its not like it was Crosby or Ovechkin guys...

darrenturcotte#8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 03:17 PM
  #39
Blueshirt24
 
Blueshirt24's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 284
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenturcotte#8 View Post
I dont want to be negative but I can't remember a vet d-man getting burned twice in two pre season games that badly by fringe NHLers. Its not like it was Crosby or Ovechkin guys...
That may be but Artyukhin and Isbister have a HELL of a lot more to prove in pre-season games than Redden does. In all likelihood, Redden is out there giving 85% and these guys are going at 115% hoping to make a good impression. He also may easily have underestimated them, and if not than heck, he made a mistake. It happens, but I doubt that Redden at 100% gets burned by Artyukhin and if he misplayed him in the pre-season, I don't think he's getting to bent out of shape about it.

Blueshirt24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 03:28 PM
  #40
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,662
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetsyuk40 View Post
That may be but Artyukhin and Isbister have a HELL of a lot more to prove in pre-season games than Redden does. In all likelihood, Redden is out there giving 85% and these guys are going at 115% hoping to make a good impression. He also may easily have underestimated them, and if not than heck, he made a mistake. It happens, but I doubt that Redden at 100% gets burned by Artyukhin and if he misplayed him in the pre-season, I don't think he's getting to bent out of shape about it.
I agree. But to play devils advocate for a minute...a 7mm player should be able to hold his own at 85% over a sub 1mm journeyman forward, even if he is playing at 115%. But back to reality, it was a couple of plays out of a couple of meaningless pre-season games.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 04:18 PM
  #41
gmanwrx
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 149
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
I agree. But to play devils advocate for a minute...a 7mm player should be able to hold his own at 85% over a sub 1mm journeyman forward, even if he is playing at 115%. But back to reality, it was a couple of plays out of a couple of meaningless pre-season games.
lol...

it is only pre-season, but redden did get burned twice so far, ottawa & last night in tampa..

but what-ever.. better not happen in regular season..

gmanwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 06:05 PM
  #42
Kendo
Registered User
 
Kendo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Hamburger Train.
Posts: 236
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetsyuk40 View Post
I'm not about to poop a chicken over the fact that he made a couple of mistakes in the pre-season.
Now that I've cleaned the beer off of my monitor...

I'm more worried about Kalinen's play, honestly.

Kendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 07:08 PM
  #43
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!
 
n8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: san francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 7,404
vCash: 500
Girardi not picking up Craig on the rebound surely had nothing to do with that goal.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 07:50 PM
  #44
shon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 451
vCash: 500
I can't believe this thread on how Redden and Girardi made 2 mistakes in 2 games. made good passes , good on the pp and pk.and they get ripped apart.
Staal and Rosival are absolutely horrid. couldn't make a pass for their life, mishandling the puck a few times every shift and losing most of the battles.
and they make maybe one or 2 routine defensive plays and they are wonderful

shon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2008, 12:49 AM
  #45
danno2530
 
danno2530's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,453
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Just checked the calendar. Today's September 24.
Best post of the thread.

Redden will have his inconsistencies, I'm sure of that. But it's two plays in two exhibition games, let's wait until at least the regular season starts. I'm willing to give him a shot here and I think he's going to have a fine season.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2008, 12:58 AM
  #46
AverysGlasses
 
AverysGlasses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bristol, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 66
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to AverysGlasses

AverysGlasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2008, 01:25 AM
  #47
The Fuhr*
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hamilton,Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,765
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanwrx View Post
but what-ever.. better not happen in regular season..
It will happen but when Redden is on, his breakout pass will make up for those mistakes when he kick starts the transition offense. (Of course I am assuming he has rebounded from last season)

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2008, 08:37 AM
  #48
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 17,606
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fuhr View Post
It will happen but when Redden is on, his breakout pass will make up for those mistakes when he kick starts the transition offense. (Of course I am assuming he has rebounded from last season)
Redden have looked awsome so far. He have architechted(sp) the plays every time he have been on the ice. Brought stuff to this team in thoose aspects that we really haven't seen since Zubov's days.

On the 2 plays in question Zhe-Gom-Näs was out on the ice forgetting about the defensive aspects of the game -- and every 5 player on the team was standing still and putting zero pressure on the other team when they made a fast transition play. Redden was merely the only player who had some depth on the ice. If he had not been there we would basically have seen two 4 on 0's...

But sure, its not out of the picture to question how Redden handled said situations. Or especially Isbisters chance since Redden gambled on that but misjudged Isb speed. On Arthukins chance, what can you do? Nobody else is moving with the direction of Arth's, neither is Redden. In a normal situation like that you got 4 guys atleast skating with Arts and Redden can atleast opt to stear him towards someone else or try to just slow him down and hope that someone will be able to clean up behind him. But Redden is all alone on that play so its even useless to try to slow him down.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2008, 08:39 AM
  #49
WhipNash27
Quattro!!
 
WhipNash27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Westchester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 15,521
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverysGlasses View Post
This belongs in every thread just about in this forum.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:30 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.