HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Break Out Candidates

Old
09-23-2008, 04:41 PM
D713B

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR6814 View Post
Let's be real here. Following that logic, Jessiman should put up 30 points if he makes the team. OK, maybe 25 lol.

Perhaps it was a bad example. But PAP isn't putting up 50 points, no matter where he plays. He's unproven.
50 points may be a slight stretch but calling a prospect unproven is rather redundant. That's why their deemed prospects. Basically what you're saying is that we can't project future point totals for anyone in the AHL or lower because their unproven at the NHL level. Viper thinks that getting top 9 minutes would give PAP a chance to hit the 50 mark. Frankly it's not entirely unreasonable as he has a strong offensive game and who is to say if he played on a 1st or 2nd line with PP time that he wouldn't pot 50 points? It's not really an outlandish statement.

D713B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 04:44 PM
HenriksBetter

I am expecting to Gomez line to be a force this season. They are showing signs of developing chemistry already and it should only get better as they play more games together. If they all stay healthy and have consistant seasons i think you could see anywhere from 80-100 goals from that line. And i think Zherdev has a monster year with 40 goals and 50-60 assists.

HenriksBetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 04:53 PM
Vinster

Forget about projecting some of these guys mentioned. We simply have too many 3rd / 4th line guys and possibly a few extra second liners. If Sather does the right thing he will package a few of these guys and a pick for a goal scorer power forward.
Only 2 problems with this thought - we will need to give up assets of value and who can we find that is willing to give up a goal scoring power forward before the season starts?

Vinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 04:57 PM
Bury Your Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by D713B View Post
50 points may be a slight stretch but calling a prospect unproven is rather redundant. That's why their deemed prospects. Basically what you're saying is that we can't project future point totals for anyone in the AHL or lower because their unproven at the NHL level. Viper thinks that getting top 9 minutes would give PAP a chance to hit the 50 mark. Frankly it's not entirely unreasonable as he has a strong offensive game and who is to say if he played on a 1st or 2nd line with PP time that he wouldn't pot 50 points? It's not really an outlandish statement.
You're not understanding me. PAP will not hit the 50 mark on this team, because he won't play on the 1st or 2nd line or on the PP. Even if he played on another team, he'd be a 3rd liner at best. He is unproven at the NHL level, and that isn't redundant, it's the truth. He's 25 years old, and has limited experience at the NHL level (played 5 games with Chicago - 1 A, and a minus 1). I'm not saying that you can't predict NHL point totals for guys in the AHL, but PAP WILL NOT score 50 points this year. Of course, if he played on the 1st line his numbers would be inflated, but he STILL wouldn't put up 50 points.

Bury Your Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 05:00 PM
NYReign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unk View Post
I dunno, I wouldn't mind Potter progressing to the point of being our #6 Dman. It'll surely help sort out the bottom-2 Dmen for the next season.
Definitely agree with that but I'm worried about his current progress and if he could be effective

NYReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 05:07 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR6814 View Post
You're not understanding me. PAP will not hit the 50 mark on this team, because he won't play on the 1st or 2nd line or on the PP. Even if he played on another team, he'd be a 3rd liner at best. He is unproven at the NHL level, and that isn't redundant, it's the truth. He's 25 years old, and has limited experience at the NHL level (played 5 games with Chicago - 1 A, and a minus 1). I'm not saying that you can't predict NHL point totals for guys in the AHL, but PAP WILL NOT score 50 points this year. Of course, if he played on the 1st line his numbers would be inflated, but he STILL wouldn't put up 50 points.
so going along with everything people are saying if parenteau makes the team as a third liner and gets some pp time and plays with dubinsky and callahan/voros you think 45 points isnt possible?.....to me, he is the exact player who would thrive in this system...the guy can flat-out move the puck and has great on-ice vision and puts himself in position to score goals....if he was to playa full season in the nhl with pretty good linemates like dubi and callahan i could see 45 points

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 05:08 PM
NYR Viper

also, on potter....when the rangers signed kalinin i still thought potter would be playing in the nhl.....IMO he is more solid and fits the system better....he is a better puck-mover and has good lateral movement

Old
09-23-2008, 05:12 PM
Bury Your Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
so going along with everything people are saying if parenteau makes the team as a third liner and gets some pp time and plays with dubinsky and callahan/voros you think 45 points isnt possible?.....to me, he is the exact player who would thrive in this system...the guy can flat-out move the puck and has great on-ice vision and puts himself in position to score goals....if he was to playa full season in the nhl with pretty good linemates like dubi and callahan i could see 45 points
I honestly don't see it. I see him maybe MAYBE putting up 30 points playing on that line.

Bury Your Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 05:48 PM
mti79

Quote:
Originally Posted by D713B View Post
My hopes for Kalinin going into the season is that he largely remains unnoticeable on the ice, I know, very high hopes. Basically I'll accept not doing anything positive so long as he doesn't make any glaring mistakes which we end up paying for. This is why I have to agree with you that Potter has a real chance of taking Kalinin's roster spot.
I've spoken with people from Buffalo and they all seem to like Kalinin and his play. He can go for stretches where he'll be the best defenseman we have. Apparently he can also be snakebit. For example, Girardi could have a bad game and have 5 turnovers but nothing comes of it whereas Kalinin could have a good game, but 2 turnovers that both lead to goals. Suddenly everyone would hate on Dmitri. We need to be patient. No need to label him a goat based on 1 PRESEASON game. I can't wait to see him announced on October 10, stand up and cheer for him as a member of the 2008-09 New York Rangers.

mti79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 06:15 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Dubinsky will have a break out year and so will Zherdev.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 07:15 PM
Rust Heisenberg

i would think that the rangers are going to go young and unproven to start the season. for a few reasons. 1 they need another top 6 forward. if they some how got sundin then they'd be complete w/ drury as wing, and even now they might be complete if they move dubinsky to wing or move dubinsky to 2nd line center and still convert captain clutch to wing. but i do not htink that either of them will be converted. so for that purpose the rangers have an empty top 6 forward. Dawes will be most probably the fill in unless its nedved...nedved?!?!!?!?

So for that sole purpose of hte lack of a talented goal scorer in the top 2 lines the Rangers will go young early and show their prospects. That way we can trade for a Marian Gaborik or Johnathon Cheechoo at the deadline with those now exposed prospects. Parenteau seems to me like a candidate to stay with the Rangers for a LONG time if he produces. The guy is gonna be a beast in the NHL. Id like to see Drury converted to winger and Dubinsky take 2nd line Center, Animisov brought up to play 3rd line along w/ Korpedo and Dawes. Callahan i feel will be a bust this year atleast for some part of it. He will not maintain any level of excellence for the entirety of the year. The most we can hope for is a bad begining and a very nice ending like he did for us last year. That way we can try out Parenteau out on 4th line. See what he's made of. Maybe if Callahan starts out good we can use him in the package for Gaborik. =)

Im hoping to begin the year we have this lineup

Naslund-Gomez-Zherdev
Dawes-Dubinsky-Drury
Nedved-Animisov-Callahan
Parenteau-Fritsche-Korpedo

And to finish the year we have

Naslund-Gomez-Zherdev
Gaborik-Dubinsky-Drury
Dawes-Animisov-Callahan
Nedved/Parenteau-Fritsche-Korpedo

Rust Heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 07:18 PM
bishop12
Ovyously

I'd say Dawes and Dubinsky are in for some breakout seasons.

bishop12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 07:19 PM
D713B

Quote:
Originally Posted by mti79 View Post
I've spoken with people from Buffalo and they all seem to like Kalinin and his play. He can go for stretches where he'll be the best defenseman we have. Apparently he can also be snakebit. For example, Girardi could have a bad game and have 5 turnovers but nothing comes of it whereas Kalinin could have a good game, but 2 turnovers that both lead to goals. Suddenly everyone would hate on Dmitri. We need to be patient. No need to label him a goat based on 1 PRESEASON game. I can't wait to see him announced on October 10, stand up and cheer for him as a member of the 2008-09 New York Rangers.
I've heard the same thing about Dmitri and no where did I say that I expect him to be a goat. In fact reading Blueshirt Bulletin before, which said he will replace Malik as the fans whipping boy if he plays poorly, I happened to disagree. Playing on the 3rd pair as the 6th man shouldn't garner him those labels. Of course I hope he comes out the gate and proves he can play to his full potential. He would be an absolute steal then. But if everyone plays to their full potential we would contend for the cup, although you know what they say about ifs and buts. However like I said if he goes unnoticed on the ice it means he isn't making those mistakes that people in Buffalo say he is prone to making him a solid d-man and I didn't even watch the game he played in so trust me my hopes for Kalinin didn't come from there.

D713B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 07:19 PM
NYR Viper

^^^

honestly, i would be overly ecstatic if sather could deal some players for radulov(he will be cheaper)......he would make the top-6 secure

Old
09-23-2008, 07:21 PM
Rust Heisenberg

RADULOV YES

but i doubt we get him

Rust Heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 09:04 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Is Radulov DEFINITELY coming back to NA?

If so, Sather would be genius if he could get him.

He and Zherdev are good friends. And look how hard Zherdev is working so far.

The question is, what do you give up? I wouldn't give up Cherepanov or Del Zotto, that's for sure.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 09:08 PM
NYR Viper

it would be a great move by sather....but im not getting my hopes up....

also, anyone seriously watch parenteau tonite?.....looked out of place?....i dont think so....and he got yet another assist

Old
09-23-2008, 09:17 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
it would be a great move by sather....but im not getting my hopes up....

also, anyone seriously watch parenteau tonite?.....looked out of place?....i dont think so....and he got yet another assist
I really like what I see from Parenteau so far.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 09:35 PM
John Torturella

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Eat Crow View Post
Fritsche for a 20-20 season
I dont see that. I know you cant read too much into preseason but was Fritsche even in the lineup last night? The guy was invisible.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2008, 10:58 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
I really like what I see from Parenteau so far.
good, im glad someone else is seeing what im seeing..the guy has some very good offensive skills and his passing is his bread and butter....i have a feeling when they signed him they told him if he worked on certain things he would have a good shot at making the team because he was supposed to go to europe and make more money yet he ended up staying....im pulling for this guy....

Old
09-23-2008, 10:59 PM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

I think Dawes can really breakout this year. His defensive play is good and his game is improving. The question is what will he do with the opportunity ?

Dubinski has really shined so far this pre-season but moving him around is a mistake. Keep him at center and his comfort level should be un-affected.

the wingers are
Zherdev and Naslund
Dawes, Callahan, Prucha

I am expecting the team to go with
Voros, Rismiller and Sjostrom
as the other 3

the centers are easy with Betts getting 4th line and PK duties

I think Kalinin makes the club on the 3rd pairing, which sadly means Pock gets the shaft again.

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 03:19 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
good, im glad someone else is seeing what im seeing..the guy has some very good offensive skills and his passing is his bread and butter....i have a feeling when they signed him they told him if he worked on certain things he would have a good shot at making the team because he was supposed to go to europe and make more money yet he ended up staying....im pulling for this guy....
How can you not pull for him. He was the dark horse coming in with Nedved and they are making the most of thier chances. Parenteau could be another undrafted gem Slats found like Girardi.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 04:09 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
How can you not pull for him. He was the dark horse coming in with Nedved and they are making the most of thier chances. Parenteau could be another undrafted gem Slats found like Girardi.
i agree....im hoping sather and renney can form this guy into an everyday nhler....we saw what they did with dawes over a years time....

also, parenteau was drafted by anaheim, but he was an 8th rounder(i believe)

Old
09-24-2008, 04:19 PM
GarretJoseph

I don't see anybody breaking out unless you consider Staal breaking out even more.

McCain is the only candidate I can see breaking out.

GarretJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote