HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Hope we keep our 2nd round picks

Closed Thread

Old
06-25-2004, 04:52 PM
dropthegloves

vCash:
Hope we keep our 2nd round picks

As much as I hate Sather this group if nothing else has drafted better. Sather proved to me he can still trade when he's given the OK to rebuild. I was amazed at what he got at the deadline. I still think Balej could be special.

Old
06-25-2004, 07:55 PM
TrampsLikeUs

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TrampsLikeUs
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropthegloves
As much as I hate Sather this group if nothing else has drafted better. Sather proved to me he can still trade when he's given the OK to rebuild. I was amazed at what he got at the deadline. I still think Balej could be special.
Balej could be special indeed. I'd like to keep some second rounders, but if there's somebody worthwhile to move up for, I wouldn't be opposed to moving up. Welcome to the boards! (That's the first welcome I've gotten to do )

Old
06-25-2004, 08:40 PM
nyr5186

vCash: 500
I dont think we should go into the draft with a set agenda of how many picks we should trade, where, and for what. Whatever happens should be dependent on how the draft transfolds and what players are available at certain times. If Maloney goes into it thinking that we must trade into the teens just for the sake of doing so, thats a mismanagement of value. If he's high on, say, a kid like Picard or Smid, and one of them slips down lower than expected (maybe to Calgary's #19), then you can go out and maybe overpay a little to get the guy you want. But theres no sense in saying 'we should definately hold on to all our picks' or 'we must trade up'.

I think Maloney has isolated his possible suitors in the teens who would be willing to trade down. For each team, he probably has a list of 2 or 3 guys who, if they're still on the board when that team is up, he will push hard to get a deal done. For example, lets use Calgary as one of those suitors. He could have called up Sutter in advance and told him, "Listen, if Green or Picard are still on the board at 19, I'll call you and we'll talk". Or the same situation with Minnesota (#11) and Smid/Stafford/Thelen.

Closed Thread