HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Yannick Weber

Old
09-24-2008, 03:11 PM
Boxscore
#oldNHL

vCash: 500
Yannick Weber

This kid has looked fantastic. Great skater, passer and poised with a rocket for a shot. Anyone else think he could (should) be manning the point on the PP for the Habs this season?

Boxscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 03:28 PM
Maitz
Chucky#27

I would be really surprise if he plays some games this year for the Habs , he is going to Hamilton this year. Hope he will plays on top 2 pairing and see some PP action. I don't think the Habs will call him up this year, Valentenko and Carle are ahead of him in depth chart.

Maitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 03:32 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheli24 View Post
This kid has looked fantastic. Great skater, passer and poised with a rocket for a shot. Anyone else think he could (should) be manning the point on the PP for the Habs this season?
I hope not, cause if he is then that means the Habs will have had some big injuries on the blueline. He's just turned 20 the other day (off the top of my head) so there's no need to rush him. Lets see how he does in the AHL first. I wasn't overly impressed with him in last nights game but we'll see how the rest of the preseason goes for him.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 03:38 PM
Next Best Thing*

Very raw from what I've seen last game, although to those who are comparing him to Mark Streit in his prime... well Streit was never a good defender, but Weber will be able to do all that and more as a DEFENDER. Awesome offensive potential its unmissable.

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 03:40 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 1976
Veber looks good but he wont be in Montreal this year.

Still very young. Give him time.

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 03:45 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

I actually was impressed by him as far as how he conducts himself. Could have been intimidated, doesn't seem to be. Sure misses the net way too much for a point man and makes mistakes defensively. Still, good overall job that should give him confidence for the year to come.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 03:47 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Not a chance this season, imo.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 03:51 PM
RC51

SO If you liked Weber, you will love Subban and wait, theirs a Big Mac coming our way also

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 03:59 PM
JrHockeyFan

I expect Weber to be playing one or two years in the AHL. If he makes lots of progress he may advance 2nd year. I imagine the RFA/UFA situation will also be a factor

The kid is young but he always seems to be calm when he plays. Good offensive upside. Good skater. Strong shot from the point.

He will need to work on size and defensive skills

i think he will be a good defensive player for us

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 04:06 PM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Best Thing View Post
Very raw from what I've seen last game, although to those who are comparing him to Mark Streit in his prime... well Streit was never a good defender, but Weber will be able to do all that and more as a DEFENDER. Awesome offensive potential its unmissable.
Streit is an incredible defenseman in the World Championships and when he played overseas.

He's probably played less than 100 NHL games as a defenseman.. Komisarek was HORRENDOUS in his first 150+ NHL games.

Streit could still improve.. the age is a big factor, but he has just got better and better each season.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 05:41 PM
guapo23

I was very impressed by his play vs Buffalo.

Great poise, never panicked, great execution.
He looked greast on the PP - good passing and slapshot.

He looked a lot bigger than Streit.
Likely he will be better defensively.

I don't think he will make the team this year - barring many injuries.
I look forward to him making the team next season.

guapo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 06:09 PM
ed ible*

I liked what i seen from him on the PP..........he was always moving and trying to get into position................going to be a good one.

ed ible* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 06:41 PM
Fozz

What I liked about him last night is that he didn't seem to be intimidated by the skill level and speed of the NHL. He skated well with the puck and distributed it nicely on the PP. I thought he took a few shots at questionable moments and missed the net too much for my liking but he had the same problem in the juniors.

I don't think he'll play in Montreal this year unless there's a serious injury problem but you can see the skills are there. He'll benefit greatly from playing at least a full season, maybe 2, in the AHL.

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 06:44 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheli24 View Post
His offensive game is not far from the NHL but he needs AT LEAST one full year AHL to work on his defense and 1 on 1 play. I don't think you'll see himk in the NHL this year but he could be knocking at the door sometime next year and in camp in 2010-2011. Guys like Valentenko and Carle are closer to the NHL than him.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 07:33 PM
GoMarkov79

Weber is a nice prospect but he's definitely not ready yet. He has speed, good shot from the point (not always accurate) but he can't handle physical play. Anyway, I prefer him to Brisebois right now if we need a puck moving defenseman.

GoMarkov79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 09:30 PM
Next Best Thing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Streit is an incredible defenseman in the World Championships and when he played overseas.

He's probably played less than 100 NHL games as a defenseman.. Komisarek was HORRENDOUS in his first 150+ NHL games.

Streit could still improve.. the age is a big factor, but he has just got better and better each season.
Ah well that's too bad for him that he broke in so late. I can't wait to see him prove he's worth that much money.

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2008, 04:29 AM
Clumsyhab

Véberre must learn to hit the net with his slapper so he might crack the line-up next season.

Clumsyhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2008, 10:03 AM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clumsyhab View Post
Véberre must learn to hit the net with his slapper so he might crack the line-up next season.
I'm not even sure if there is room next year, Markov, Komisarek (hopefully) Hamrlik O'byrne and Georges will all be under contract, Valentenko will probably be ready, and Emelin will probably cross over after this year aswell, i don't know how we will fit them all, after next year, Subban, Mcdonagh will most likelty sign a contract, possibly Torp, Paquet and Fisher too

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2008, 11:32 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
I'm not even sure if there is room next year, Markov, Komisarek (hopefully) Hamrlik O'byrne and Georges will all be under contract, Valentenko will probably be ready, and Emelin will probably cross over after this year aswell, i don't know how we will fit them all, after next year, Subban, Mcdonagh will most likelty sign a contract, possibly Torp, Paquet and Fisher too
Yes it's going to be crowded on defense next year especially at RD, since we'll have Carle, Weber, Subban, Paquet all likely under contract. Emelin is a possibility, not sure what side he will play as I've seen him play both LD and RD, he's a RD with AK Bars. McDonagh and Fischer we'll see if they make the jump or not and Torp thankfully is a LD.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2008, 11:41 AM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Yes it's going to be crowded on defense next year especially at RD, since we'll have Carle, Weber, Subban, Paquet all likely under contract. Emelin is a possibility, not sure what side he will play as I've seen him play both LD and RD, he's a RD with AK Bars. McDonagh and Fischer we'll see if they make the jump or not and Torp thankfully is a LD.
Left D or Right D doesn't really matter right now since defensmens adjust rather quickly and well, but we are beyond stacked on D, every prospect we got this year looks NHL worthy one day, some decisions will havw to be made because it's rediculous right now, the only position that we were weak was at center, but now with Maxwell and possibly Chipchura in the minors it's not even a problem anymore, our depth is amaizing, but i think that some prospects will pay for it, when they'l rot in the AHL for years and years crossing there fingers a spot will open up

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2008, 12:13 PM
Corey

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post

This sounds like a fan's endorsement of Streit. Streit was about 27 when he was drafted. He had lots of international experience. I failed to see any further improvement in Streit as a Dman in Montréal. Otherwise, he wouldn't have been used mainly as a forward and Brisebois wouldn't have been signed. Komisarek had 2 years of college and 2 years of AHL when he came up. He will never be used as a forward or offensive Dman but what he does bring to the game is something Streit is physically incapable of contributing.

Weber isn't ready for the NHL but I wonder if Streit was at Weber's age.

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2008, 10:31 PM
1970 Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
I do not see all those prospects being signed to contracts next year. If they are then Weber will already have a year under his belt in the AHL. As for the NHL, realistically Weber is 2-3 years away at best so I do not see a problem on that front yet.

1970 Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 12:06 AM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 1976
Watching RIS, Renaud Lavoie said Weber does not want to be called Veber.
He wants his name pronounced a l'americane!

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 12:17 AM
Clumsyhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post
Watching RIS, Renaud Lavoie said Weber does not want to be called Veber.
He wants his name pronounced a l'americane!

I wonder why Pierre Houde always wants to use the real pronunciation with some Euro players. When those guys come to North-America, they all change their names to the "English" version. Look at all the Euros; Ovechkin (Oˈvɛtʃ.kɪn]), Fedorov (Fyodorov), Kovalev (Kovalyov), Kostitsyn (Kascicyn). I'm sure their real names is not pronounced like we all pronounce it in English. So why Houde doesn't pronounce Ovechkin, Fedorov, Kovalev with the real Russian way and does it with Weber (Véberre), Vokoun (Vokone), Dvorak (Vorjaque), etc etc.

I like Pierre Houde, but I think sometimes, he just wants to show up that he knows how to pronounce those Euro names the right way.

Clumsyhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 12:35 AM
HardcoreHab
A Man With No Plan

vCash: 1035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clumsyhab View Post
I like Pierre Houde, but I think sometimes, he just wants to show up that he knows how to pronounce those Euro names the right way.
It annoyed the crap out of me. Just call the kid Weber like everyone else does.

He's not ready. From what I've seen, his shot is still too wild, but Streit missed the net most of the time too. lol. He needs some steeltown wooftime me thinks.

HardcoreHab is offline   Reply With Quote