HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lapierre

Old
09-24-2008, 10:54 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Can someone realize that he doesn't have the awareness to play center in this league. Of course he's not doing well.....he's not playing the position he should be playing.....
There's 2 things I really want to see happen, A.Kostitsyn on the right wing and Lapierre moved to the wing, let him use that speed and energy in the forcheck.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 11:28 AM
Marco Corleone

Lappy will always play as he is now. A solid 4th liner who can kill some penalties.

He's an agitator an a good one at that. A player that each team wishes they had and players hate to play against.

Habs are lucky to have a player like Lappy on their side.

Marco Corleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 11:31 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

If Chipchura can win even 49% of his faceoffs (as opposed to 43% last season) I'd love to see him stay up. Throw Lapierre on the wing, and flank those two with BGL, Kosto, Begin, rotating those three through with the other two.

But seriously, until I see that Chipchura can win even what I would qualify as a poor percentage of faceoffs, he's not an NHL centre. For a puck possession team you can't give the puck away so easily.

As an aside, I don't really see how we can keep all these 4th line veterans around all season. One (or two?) have to be moved. Be it on waivers or trade, something's gotta give.

09-24-2008, 11:39 AM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
If Chipchura can win even 49% of his faceoffs (as opposed to 43% last season) I'd love to see him stay up. Throw Lapierre on the wing, and flank those two with BGL, Kosto, Begin, rotating those three through with the other two.

But seriously, until I see that Chipchura can win even what I would qualify as a poor percentage of faceoffs, he's not an NHL centre. For a puck possession team you can't give the puck away so easily.

As an aside, I don't really see how we can keep all these 4th line veterans around all season. One (or two?) have to be moved. Be it on waivers or trade, something's gotta give.
Well they can try Chipchura at centre on the 4th line with Lapierre on his wing. If his faceoff percentage is poor that night, let Lapierre take the faceoffs but then shift back to wing, similar to when a centre is thrown out of the circle and a winger has to take the drop. It's not that hard to do.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 11:45 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Well they can try Chipchura at centre on the 4th line with Lapierre on his wing. If his faceoff percentage is poor that night, let Lapierre take the faceoffs but then shift back to wing, similar to when a centre is thrown out of the circle and a winger has to take the drop. It's not that hard to do.
I think waiting until he loses a few faceoffs is a crappy strategy. That's several potential possessions forsaken for no real reason. It would be like putting an inferior goaltender in every game, and if he lets goals in then we sub in the better goalie. Obviously not quite as critical as that, but a similar premise.

I think it would be better to just let Lapierre take the bulk of the faceoffs if Chipchura hasn't improved dramatically. To me, winning faceoffs is one of the few skills that a center must have to make it in the NHL. To date, Chipchura doesn't have it.

We should (seriously) bring Yanic Perreault in to give our youngsters tips next offseason, when I expect he'll be done/retiring.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 01:21 PM
Joe Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Carbonneau View Post
the only thing I would ask him is to take his visor off
I seriously do not understand this mentality.

He is not a fighter. That is the only reason you should play without a visor.

Removing his visor, will not transform him into Laraque, and the small increase in his on ice vision will not morph him into Crosby.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 02:00 PM
CH4

Quote:
I think waiting until he loses a few faceoffs is a crappy strategy. That's several potential possessions forsaken for no real reason. It would be like putting an inferior goaltender in every game, and if he lets goals in then we sub in the better goalie. Obviously not quite as critical as that, but a similar premise.

I think it would be better to just let Lapierre take the bulk of the faceoffs if Chipchura hasn't improved dramatically. To me, winning faceoffs is one of the few skills that a center must have to make it in the NHL. To date, Chipchura doesn't have it.

We should (seriously) bring Yanic Perreault in to give our youngsters tips next offseason, when I expect he'll be done/retiring.
That is seriously a very good idea...

Ask him to come spend a few weeks on the ice with our centers giving his tips and strategy in the faceoffs circle...

I am sure he would be glad to do it...

CH4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2008, 03:12 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

Carbo piss me off, he try to mold Lapierre into something he's not. Let him be agressive please.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2008, 09:22 AM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Can someone realize that he doesn't have the awareness to play center in this league. Of course he's not doing well.....he's not playing the position he should be playing.....
that you for that, Lappierre is really playing at the worng position at the moment, he's much better off playing RW and getting pucks in the corners, he's not very good at defensive coverage in the middle (beyond awfull if you compare him to Chipchura) of the ice when the other team is attacking, witch is kind of important when you consider that we only have 1 defensive center on the team. Lappierre is ultra fast, young and has a nice shot, i really dopn,t think he should be off the line-up , even more now that we have Geroges Laraque to take care of the ruff stuff

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2008, 09:41 AM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifi View Post
Everyone is talking about how Kostopolus Chipchura are on the bubble looking in. If I were in Lapierre skates I'd be a little worried. He has look terrible in the 2 preseason games I taught this gauy was suppose to have come to camp all bulk up and was going to make a big impact being a pest and better skills. Montreal media just drives me nuts with thier home boys being all Crosby. Is it because he has sign a 1 way contract and thinks he can't be sent back down... I'd be worried.
here we go again !

from what i 've read so far , the french medias are all about Maxpac , Maxwell and Latendresse because his hard working summer . I just remember one or two sentences i saw about Lapierre .

I would like you to provide a link where it was writen that Lapierre is a Crosby , as you said .

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2008, 09:49 AM
Habs

I don't think he knows his role on this team, nor does the coaching staff. He does nothing well, everything average.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2008, 09:53 AM
Benzaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Corleone View Post
Lappy will always play as he is now. A solid 4th liner who can kill some penalties.

He's an agitator an a good one at that. A player that each team wishes they had and players hate to play against.

i agree with the ''hate me'' tag Lapierre has. Now with Laraque he will be able to give even more **** to other players but the wing is his ,as a center I am not sure. We will talk 2-3 seasons to see where he is at as a player. We never know.

ciao

Benzaza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2008, 09:57 AM
CH4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
I don't think he knows his role on this team, nor does the coaching staff. He does nothing well, everything average.
PK- does well (probably our best foward-imagine a duo with Chips)
skating does well (probably top 5 habs)
rest of his skills are average
exept for creativity and stickhandling which are below average.

his best use is PK, IMO

CH4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2008, 11:24 AM
Corey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Corleone View Post

What do you mean by solid? Is he a smart player or someone who uses his (relative) speed to charge after a puck carrier like a rhinoceros without any thought of positional play? What does he do with the puck? Is he a playmaker?

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2008, 11:55 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
What do you mean by solid? Is he a smart player or someone who uses his (relative) speed to charge after a puck carrier like a rhinoceros without any thought of positional play? What does he do with the puck? Is he a playmaker?
He plays position pretty well. Him playing center doesn't allow him to work the corners much, where he's pretty effective as well.
He's not much with the puck (though he has a knack for scoring some garbage goals), but I think you're asking a lot out of a 4th liner. As was stated above, he's a pest and pretty effective penalty killer.

Old
09-25-2008, 11:58 AM
Pascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
What does he do with the puck? Is he a playmaker?
That's where I highly dislike Lapierre. He can't pass at all and he can't shoot either. I know he's not asked to score 30 a season, but the frustration lies in that he's actually speedy, and would seem to have the ability to do something decent with the puck sometimes. It's not like he's a huge guy or anything.

He reminds me a bit of Dandenault in that dept. It's like they never practiced passing and shooting.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2008, 12:11 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH4THECUP View Post
PK- does well (probably our best foward-imagine a duo with Chips)
skating does well (probably top 5 habs)
rest of his skills are average
exept for creativity and stickhandling which are below average.

his best use is PK, IMO
He's actually not that good on PK, he takes himself out of position a lot. He's certainly not the best forward in that regard, not even close. Higgins, Koivu, Plekanec, Begin, probably Tanguay and even Kovalev are better than him.

Old
09-25-2008, 12:20 PM
Corey

Quote:
He's actually not that good on PK, he takes himself out of position a lot. He's certainly not the best forward in that regard, not even close. Higgins, Koivu, Plekanec, Begin, probably Tanguay and even Kovalev are better than him.

I had that in mind when I pictured him charging at the puck carrier like a rhinoceros (not the smartest of beasts). He doesn't anticipate plays, which someone like Carbonneau, Gainey, Jarvis, or Benoit Brunet could do. Well, Lapierre will stick around until some rookie replaces him in the future.

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2008, 12:53 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
That must be why he was our best penalty killer in terms of GA/60 minutes of SH time not named Plekanec or Kovalev last season.

Old
09-25-2008, 01:11 PM
le_sean

Quote:
That must be why he was our best penalty killer in terms of GA/60 minutes of SH time not named Plekanec or Kovalev last season.
That stat means nothing. Who were the other 3 players on the ice with him? How often did he actually play against top PP units?

Are you actually going to sit there and say he's a better PKer than Higgins, Koivu and Begin? You and I both know you're smarter than that.

Lapierre runs around like a chicken with his head cut off on the PK. It might seem like he's doing something since he is so active, but really he isn't doing much.

Old
09-25-2008, 01:19 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
That stat means nothing. Who were the other 3 players on the ice with him? How often did he actually play against top PP units?

Are you actually going to sit there and say he's a better PKer than Higgins, Koivu and Begin? You and I both know you're smarter than that.

Lapierre runs around like a chicken with his head cut off on the PK. It might seem like he's doing something since he is so active, but really he isn't doing much.
He's better than Begin, who was atrocious last year. Plays with Higgins and puts up better results than when Koivu does. Plays with Streit and puts up better numbers than both. I agree that the metrics need better context, but I don't think results can be thrown away so haphazardly.

That's why I used the qualifier "not named Plekanec and Kovalev" who were our #1 PK unit last season, generally playing against the opposing #1 unit.