HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jagr Calling Renney to Check on Dubi and the Team?

Old
09-26-2008, 12:05 PM
Forechecker

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Jagr Calling Renney to Check on Dubi and the Team?

Per Sam:

Quote:
A very interesting admission from Tom Renney that Jaromir Jagr has called a number of times to ask how the team is doing, particularly Brandon Dubinsky. “We’ll both be climbing over each other for credit if this kid ends up as a Hall of Famer,” Renney said. “I guess Jags should get it.”
and

Quote:
When I mentioned to Renney the story that Jagr was instrumental in getting Calgary assistant Wayne Fleming to come to Omsk to be the head coach, Renney smiled sheepishly.
“I plead the fifth,” the coach said.
Interesting stuff. Nice to see Jags still caring about his old team.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 12:13 PM
Fletch

Good stuff, Forechecker...

Perhaps Jagr wasn't as selfish as so many make him out to be and really did care about the team.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 12:14 PM
FLYLine24*

Heh, thats cool.

Guess he really likes Dubinsky and see's a huge amount of potential in him (we already knew Jagr was high on Dubi though).

Jagr will be back with us come playoff time

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 12:17 PM
NYROrtsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
Perhaps Jagr wasn't as selfish as so many make him out to be and really did care about the team.
People who actually took the time to follow the team closely and watch his interviews know this to be the case...

Stinks he's not here because it feels so much like there is unfinished business.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 12:18 PM
Nich

I jagr is going to be taking cherry under his wing the same way before sending him to broadway.....awesome....

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 12:20 PM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

I bet Jagr misses the big apple...I sure do!

KreiMeARiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 12:34 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Good job Jags

Keep proving the people wrong who call you selfish.

Fire Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 12:49 PM
broadwayblue

Sure would be nice if we could somehow get Jags back for the playoffs.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 12:54 PM
PoddubnyRules

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
I bet Jagr misses the big apple...I sure do!
After a few weeks of trying to go for dinner in Omsk, who wouldn't?

PoddubnyRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 01:01 PM
AK2794

I miss Jagr

AK2794 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 01:25 PM
Celestial Black

Nice to hear this about Jagr...good to know he cares about the team still and wants some involvement.

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 01:34 PM
MikeyLikesHockey

umm Glen and Renney are Geniouses.

Omsk could always loan Jagr to us if needed. But with everything clicking, Jagr is just making sure Dubi gets his credit and doesn't get buried on the 3rd line.

MikeyLikesHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 01:48 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyGSpot View Post
umm Glen and Renney are Geniouses.

Omsk could always loan Jagr to us if needed. But with everything clicking, Jagr is just making sure Dubi gets his credit and doesn't get buried on the 3rd line.
I still find this whole NYR/OMSK relationship to be a bit .......strange.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 01:48 PM
NYROrtsFan

Quote:

Omsk could always loan Jagr to us if needed.
Is that true?

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 01:49 PM
squishy

Quote:
Omsk could always loan Jagr to us if needed.
No, they couldn't.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 01:51 PM
MikeyLikesHockey

Why not...there is no agreement except what both teams agree to.

The only agreement the KHL and the NHL have is that if a player is under contract with one league, then that league can say they won't try to steal that player who is under contract.

There is nothing out there saying if KHL Owner A LETS his player play in the NHL that the NHL can say no to it.

We can deal with the KHL for a Transfer to the NHL and back after that player is not needed anymore, kinda like calling up a player from the AHL going into the playoffs.

MikeyLikesHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 02:06 PM
squishy

Quote:
Why not...there is no agreement except what both teams agree to.

The only agreement the KHL and the NHL have is that if a player is under contract with one league, then that league can say they won't try to steal that player who is under contract.

There is nothing out there saying if KHL Owner A LETS his player play in the NHL that the NHL can say no to it.

We can deal with the KHL for a Transfer to the NHL and back after that player is not needed anymore, kinda like calling up a player from the AHL going into the playoffs.
By the time Jagr finishes his season in Omsk the trade deadline will have past. If he were to come back then, not only would he have to clear waivers but he would be ineligible to play in the NHL playoffs. See: Strudwick, Jason; 2007 edition.

And if you're thinking Omsk would loan their leading scorer, biggest draw, and most prized possession to the Rangers before their season is over, after the lengths they went to to get him there, you're mad.

Old
09-26-2008, 02:06 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
When is the last game of the season for OMSK? I know thier season starts early so i'm sure they finish early. What I am asking is if OMSK is done for the year can the Rangers sign him for the playoffs? I know nothing about these rules but Sather is just too sly of a dog,

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 02:10 PM
Blueshirt Fanatic*

That is a very kind and courteous move by Jags, great to see he is following up on the team while he is in Russia!

Last edited by Blueshirt Fanatic*: 09-26-2008 at 05:36 PM.
Blueshirt Fanatic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 02:10 PM
bcrt2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
By the time Jagr finishes his season in Omsk the trade deadline will have past. If he were to come back then, not only would he have to clear waivers but he would be ineligible to play in the NHL playoffs. See: Strudwick, Jason; 2007 edition.

And if you're thinking Omsk would loan their leading scorer, biggest draw, and most prized possession to the Rangers before their season is over, after the lengths they went to to get him there, you're mad.
I think the Deadline for European players to come over without any waiver stuff is Jan. 1st, right? Omsk sounds like its not doing that well this year and by then they'd probably know if they were going to make the playoffs or not. If I'm Omsk and I'm not making the playoffs, I'd jump at the chance to send Jags over if it meant my team getting some monetary compensation which can be used to improve the team next season. That being said its still far fetched, although not as far fetched as I used to think just because Jags seems like hes home sick and there is the Renney-Fleming connection as well.

bcrt2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 02:34 PM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrt2000 View Post
I think the Deadline for European players to come over without any waiver stuff is Jan. 1st, right? Omsk sounds like its not doing that well this year and by then they'd probably know if they were going to make the playoffs or not. If I'm Omsk and I'm not making the playoffs, I'd jump at the chance to send Jags over if it meant my team getting some monetary compensation which can be used to improve the team next season. That being said its still far fetched, although not as far fetched as I used to think just because Jags seems like hes home sick and there is the Renney-Fleming connection as well.
Homesick because he's called his former coach a couple times and asked about a player he helped mentor? Jagr's starting to put up points, his team is winning, and he's getting lavished with cheers from the fans in every arena he sets foot in. When he scores, even opposing teams fans cheer. I think everyone underestimates just how big of a deal Jagr going to Russia is in Russia. And it was that kind of affection from fans that he cited as a major factor in returning in the first place.

Omsk have won five in a row and are now in second place in the league. They were amongst the top-ranked teams going into the season and will be very much in the hunt for a playoff berth by January. They got off to a slow start (2-4), replaced a coach the players didn't like, and have won every game since. And Fleming hasn't even arrived yet.

As for getting monetary compensation from the Rangers in exchange for loaning them Jagr, the NHL does not and will not allow it. Not to mention that the guy with the money behind the team in Omsk is worth a lot more than Jimmy Dolan.

Old
09-26-2008, 02:35 PM
Pizza

Jagr thinks very highly of Dubi as reflected from his comments last year.

When Dubi's holding the Cup over his head sometime down the line, I'll be thinking of Jags.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 02:46 PM
Turambar

Wait, are people actually suggesting that somehow Jagr might end up a late-season addition to the Rangers, and further, that Omsk would condone this, let alone facilitate it?

Turambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 02:54 PM
PromNite
Armed Android

Send a message via AIM to PromNite
**sigh** I'm going to miss that man.

Adam Tensta's from the 163
PromNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 02:56 PM
bcrt2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
Homesick because he's called his former coach a couple times and asked about a player he helped mentor? Jagr's starting to put up points, his team is winning, and he's getting lavished with cheers from the fans in every arena he sets foot in. When he scores, even opposing teams fans cheer. I think everyone underestimates just how big of a deal Jagr going to Russia is in Russia. And it was that kind of affection from fans that he cited as a major factor in returning in the first place.

Omsk have won five in a row and are now in second place in the league. They were amongst the top-ranked teams going into the season and will be very much in the hunt for a playoff berth by January. They got off to a slow start (2-4), replaced a coach the players didn't like, and have won every game since. And Fleming hasn't even arrived yet.

As for getting monetary compensation from the Rangers in exchange for loaning them Jagr, the NHL does not and will not allow it. Not to mention that the guy with the money behind the team in Omsk is worth a lot more than Jimmy Dolan.
Like I said it was far fetched

bcrt2000 is offline   Reply With Quote