HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ben Maxwell

Old
09-25-2008, 12:29 PM
Corey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
He is a great skater but doesnt always use it as uses his smarts and looks deceptively slow or lazy. He could play in the NHL today as a defensicve center if he played with beef.
Give him time. At the least he could for the Habs what Sundstrom did, and he skates better.

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2008, 12:32 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
Give him time. At the least he could for the Habs what Sundstrom did, and he skates better.
Sundstrom? what kind of comparison is that?

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2008, 01:02 PM
Pascal

I think he has more offensive skills than Sundstrom did.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2008, 01:29 PM
Corey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
I think he has more offensive skills than Sundstrom did.
I don't disagree about his offensive upside (although Sundstrom enjoyed a career year when he played with Gretzky). I made the comparison because Sundstrom was a good defensive player. Maxwell can match that as well as skate (and shoot) better.

Old
09-25-2008, 01:48 PM
la25ecoupe

RDS.ca: Le deuxième trio sera piloté par Ben Maxwell qui trouvera à ses côtés Max Pacioretty et Sergei Kostitsyn.

That would be sooooo nice!!

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2008, 01:49 PM
fufonzo

Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
Quote:
No offence. I don't think that's a good comparison at all.

Sundstrom was a winger, was not that fast, but was incredibly smart defensively. I also believe he had more offence than we saw but he was definitely a defence first type of player.

IMO, Maxwell, who is an offensive centre with great speed and a good shot fits that description at all.

Edit: Just saw your last post. I still don't think that just because Maxwell has some good defensive potential, he can be compared to Sundstrom. I think that would be the only thing they really have in common. And personally, I think Sundstrom's defensive style is much than Maxwell's would be in a defensive role. I may be biased because I really liked Sundstronm, but there weren't many players out there smarter defensively than Sundstrom.

fufonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2008, 08:00 PM
sbtatter

TBH, toshiro has likely seen maxwell play more than the rest of us put together, hence has the best read on his abilities....

sbtatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2008, 10:25 PM
Corey

Quote:
Originally Posted by fufonzo View Post

Sundstrom was a winger, was not that fast, but was incredibly smart defensively. I also believe he had more offence than we saw but he was definitely a defence first type of player.

IMO, Maxwell, who is an offensive centre with great speed and a good shot fits that description at all.

Edit: Just saw your last post. I still don't think that just because Maxwell has some good defensive potential, he can be compared to Sundstrom. I think that would be the only thing they really have in common. And personally, I think Sundstrom's defensive style is much than Maxwell's would be in a defensive role. I may be biased because I really liked Sundstronm, but there weren't many players out there smarter defensively than Sundstrom.
Sundstrom evolved into what he became. He was once as raw as Maxwell and the Rangers didn't draft him as a defensive player.

Old
09-26-2008, 12:00 AM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
I found it odd that McGuire was on Team 990 today and was saying that Maxwell's skating was a weakness?
He is a fluid skater but could difinitely get faster and more explosive.. I like his hockey sense and the way he plays defensively.. He is really smart no doubt...

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 12:34 AM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea View Post
He is a fluid skater but could difinitely get faster and more explosive.. I like his hockey sense and the way he plays defensively.. He is really smart no doubt...
Very good assesment. The guy cant overpower anyone with his skating but he still is a fast skater. I actually think that the comparison to Brad Richards is quite good because Maxwell, like Richards, is intelligent enough to make the most of his talents. This guy can actually skate AND think while chewing gum.

He knows how to subtly slow the game to his speed while letting teammates get open and receive his passes. If he's no too injury prone; this guy could be a real deal!

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 03:26 AM
revin5*

He reminds me of Koivu when he first came into the league.

revin5* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 04:01 AM
Clumsyhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by revin5 View Post
Noo... Koivu was much more dominating than Maxwell at the same age. He was considered an elite player at the same level as Forsberg, Modano, Fedorov, Sundin before he got injured vs the Blackhawks. I remember the Hockey News had him in the top 15 player in the league back then.

Clumsyhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 08:45 AM
BulldogFever

Whoa! Let's let the kid have a healthy, productive year. I like him a lot, a more physical Brad Richards with some chippiness in him? Notice how the Habs are drafting guys with some attitude - A.K. & S.K., MaxPac, Ryan White, Ben Maxwell, Yannick Weber. The days of Ribeiro & Dagenais are long behind us.

BulldogFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 09:25 AM
Vasculio
Booya !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clumsyhab View Post
Noo... Koivu was much more dominating than Maxwell at the same age. He was considered an elite player at the same level as Forsberg, Modano, Fedorov, Sundin before he got injured vs the Blackhawks. I remember the Hockey News had him in the top 15 player in the league back then.
Yes and he was sooooo damn fast, it was awesome to see, and he was a wrecking ball despite his size... that's what got him all these injuries...

Vasculio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 10:14 AM
fufonzo

Quote:
Sundstrom evolved into what he became. He was once as raw as Maxwell and the Rangers didn't draft him as a defensive player.
You weren't talking about what Sundstrom was when he was drafted. You were talking about how he contributed to our team.

Quote:
Give him time. At the least he could do for the Habs what Sundstrom did, and he skates better.
I can understand that it is not outside the realm of possiblity that Maxwell develop into what Sundstrom was for us, but I think that the chances of that happening are extremely low, and I don't understand why anyone would expect that to happen.

Old
09-26-2008, 10:23 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
In Junior Ben was defensive minded to a fault and very smart. I saw exibit brilliant flashes of offensive so he can do it but was defensive first. And, man oh man can he run a powerplay. He is like a little general. He could play in the NHL immediately as a D center with pp time. He is cant miss but what role he plays is yet to be determined. Sundstrom because of the smarts is a partially valid comparison also Joe Sakic(dream hehe). Extremely smart.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fufonzo View Post

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 10:26 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
He is not chippy at all. he will take hits and can protect the puck but isnt really physical. He has great balance so he is tough to knock off the puck. He also can bust down the wing and blast it on occasion which is nice to see.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BulldogFever View Post
Whoa! Let's let the kid have a healthy, productive year. I like him a lot, a more physical Brad Richards with some chippiness in him? Notice how the Habs are drafting guys with some attitude - A.K. & S.K., MaxPac, Ryan White, Ben Maxwell, Yannick Weber. The days of Ribeiro & Dagenais are long behind us.
Its exciiting to see him in the league. His D play will impress. He has reminded me of guy carbonneau at times. His passing is better though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
What impressed me was his defensive play vs. Afinogenov. He knew Afinogenov would beat him in a speed race and could embarass him with his deking ability, so Maxwell wedged his body kind of in between Afinogenov's stick and his body and completely cut him off. It was a very veteran savvy play.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 09-29-2008 at 04:15 PM.
toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 10:30 AM
Pascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pazuzu View Post
Yes and he was sooooo damn fast, it was awesome to see, and he was a wrecking ball despite his size... that's what got him all these injuries...
sigh.. Koivu circa 94-95-96 was such a little dynamite stick. I remember when he was leading the league in scoring, it was awesome.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 11:51 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
Very good assesment. The guy cant overpower anyone with his skating but he still is a fast skater. I actually think that the comparison to Brad Richards is quite good because Maxwell, like Richards, is intelligent enough to make the most of his talents. This guy can actually skate AND think while chewing gum.
I think that assessment originally came from Toshiro...

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 11:53 AM
fufonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
In Junior Ben was defensive minded to a fault and very smart. I saw exibit brilliant flashes of offensive so he can do it but was defensive first. And, man oh man can he run a powerplay. He is like a little general. He could play in the NHL immediately as a D center with pp time. He is cant miss but what role he plays is yet to be determined. Sundstrom because of the smarts is a partially valid comparison also Joe Sakic(dream hehe). Extremely smart.
Alright, fair enough.

I guess I just haven't seen enough of BM to have noticed he was that great defensively (you would know more than me).

Sorry about those messages, Corey. From what I had seen and heard of Ben, I just didn't think Sundstrom was a valid comparison (I actually was a big Sunny fan...had him as my avatar for a while).

Old
09-26-2008, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
sigh.. Koivu circa 94-95-96 was such a little dynamite stick. I remember when he was leading the league in scoring, it was awesome.
Damn Jeff Shantz

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 03:54 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by revin5 View Post

Not me! Koivu was faster and more dangerous offensively. He was considered to be the best player outside the NHL while he played his final year in Finland. If Maxwell had that potential, he would have been drafted by someone in the first round.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 03:57 PM
MasterD

I might get flamed for this, because on this board people think everybody sucks unless they're premier players, but Maxwell sort of reminds me of Brendan Morrison.

Nice skill package (maybe even better than Morrison's), great speed, good defensively, but won't make a line run by himself.

Remember the good years he had with Bert and Naslund? I think Maxwell could have similar years if he ends up playing with talented forwards. Otherwise, if stuck on a 3rd line for example, he'll be a generic defensive forward who can help offensively from time to time.

MasterD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 04:00 PM
Bulis hit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Not me! Koivu was faster and more dangerous offensively. He was considered to be the best player outside the NHL while he played his final year in Finland. If Maxwell had that potential, he would have been drafted by someone in the first round.
Same for Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg. They suck BIG TIME! Just look where they were drafted. Point made.

[/end of thread]

Bulis hit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 04:06 PM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuehl habs View Post
Same for Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg. They suck BIG TIME! Just look where they were drafted. Point made.

[/end of thread]
or Luc Robitaille..., good thing he was too slow, someone might have wasted a first rounder on him!

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote