HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ben Maxwell

Old
09-26-2008, 03:17 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Not me! Koivu was faster and more dangerous offensively. He was considered to be the best player outside the NHL while he played his final year in Finland. If Maxwell had that potential, he would have been drafted by someone in the first round.
I don't think he has the potential Koivu had when he was that age, not really close imo. But Maxwell was considered a likely 1st round pick for the draft so imo we did good to get him in the 2nd round.

montreal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 03:22 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuehl habs View Post
Same for Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg. They suck BIG TIME! Just look where they were drafted. Point made.

[/end of thread]
Sorry, but you don't make your point. Maxwell isn't an overlooked gem in the class of those players. If Datsyuk and Zetterberg had been playing in Canada in their draft years, they would have been noticed a lot sooner. Detroit has excellent European scouts and they recommended those two highly, but even so, Ken Holland went with players you and I never heard of in 1998 and 1999 and never will again with the sole exception of Jiri Fischer.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 03:26 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
I don't think he has the potential Koivu had when he was that age, not really close imo. But Maxwell was considered a likely 1st round pick for the draft so imo we did good to get him in the 2nd round.

IMO Maxwell was picked where where he should have been, in the second round. That's not to say he wasn't a good draft pick.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 04:37 PM
Bulis hit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Sorry, but you don't make your point. Maxwell isn't an overlooked gem in the class of those players. If Datsyuk and Zetterberg had been playing in Canada in their draft years, they would have been noticed a lot sooner. Detroit has excellent European scouts and they recommended those two highly, but even so, Ken Holland went with players you and I never heard of in 1998 and 1999 and never will again with the sole exception of Jiri Fischer.
On the contrary, I believe I totally make my point. The point is not to compare Maxwell with Datsyuk or Zetterberg, but just to say that players can be overlooked for whatever reason and it turns out they should have been first rounders. I know Dastyuk and Zetterberg didn't get seen as much because they weren't in Canada, but even here, players can be overlooked for various reasons.

When all is said and done, unless the injury bug screws up his career, everyone will know he should have been a first rounder.. because not all first rounders will pan out. But, at the time, I guess it was ok to label him for 2nd round, but 1st round was not out of question either.

Bulis hit is offline   Reply With Quote