HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

PRE-SEASON--Toronto Maple Leafs Vs. Pittsburgh Penguins--7:30 pm EST, Sep. 26/08

Old
09-26-2008, 10:35 PM
cupcrazyman
In Shanny We Trust

vCash: 500
Stamkos has 2 goals: 1 regulation & 1 shoot out goal.he also has 2 assists.

cupcrazyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 10:36 PM
FriendlyGiant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menacer View Post
I think Luke Schenn just became the first player from the 2008 draft to score a goal at the NHL level, albeit during a preseason game, but still ... loved how solid he looks as a defenseman at just the age of 18. He would be better than some of our defensemen we have under contract (depth guys like White, Kronwall, etc.) but I'd rather seem him develop his game further at the junior level and see him dominate at the WJCs.
I was thinking the same thing earlier, but now I'm not so sure. He's looking better and better every game. He shows a lot of maturity and growing poise out there, and is certainly ready physically. I already think he's looking better than White. If he keeps this up, the Leafs will have to think twice about sending him back to junior.

FriendlyGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 10:39 PM
Ten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericho99 View Post
Antropov is not a player you want with guys who rely on a speed game. Antropov - Sundin - Poni worked because they could cycle down low and use their bodies to wear down opponents.

Antropov and Poni should stick together.. I think that much is certain. I just don't think Antropov fits a run and gun style that Kulemin and Grabo play.
Maybe take Grabo and Kulie off the top line, sub in Hagman & Steen?

I think a Russian speaking linemate is needed for Grabo and Kulemin, Poni probably fits their style of play a little bit better. Steen and Antro have chemistry dating back from when they played with Sundin, and as it stands the Steen line has probably had the biggest impact.

Ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 10:40 PM
Ten

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendlyGiant View Post
I was thinking the same thing earlier, but now I'm not so sure. He's looking better and better every game. He shows a lot of maturity and growing poise out there, and is certainly ready physically. I already think he's looking better than White. If he keeps this up, the Leafs will have to think twice about sending him back to junior.
Schenn has really passed every test. I'd like to see him get a little meaner with and without the puck, but he's done his job each game.

Old
09-26-2008, 10:43 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Antropov-Bell-Ponikarovsky
Tlusty-Grabovski-Kulemin
Hagman-Steen-Blake
Moore-Stajan-Mayers

The first line is whoever is most effective.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 10:46 PM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten View Post

I think a Russian speaking linemate is needed for Grabo and Kulemin, Poni probably fits their style of play a little bit better. Steen and Antro have chemistry dating back from when they played with Sundin, and as it stands the Steen line has probably had the biggest impact.
I'm all for taking Grabo and Kulemin off the top line. For adjustment purposes I think they are best fitted on the 2nd line, not having to face the opposing teams top players. Just a personal opinion.

Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:

I said it before and I'll say it again. Leafs 3rd line should be the kid line of

Tlusty -- Grabovski -- Kulemin ..

They would be buzzing around all over the ice ..

I agree as skilled as Antropov is he seems behind the pace of Kully and Grabo.. Pony and Antropov have always played well together as well so they just need a third.

John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Antropov-Bell-Ponikarovsky
Tlusty-Grabovski-Kulemin
Hagman-Steen-Blake
Moore-Stajan-Mayers

That's actually not a bad idea at all.

That first line is the first group I thought of in terms of complimenting each others style.

John-Eric Iannicello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 10:48 PM
asdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendlyGiant View Post
McGuire was talking about this on one of the radio shows today. After having his usual orgasm whenever Schenn is mentioned he said that most likely he will play the 10 regular season games and then get sent down. That way he'll get a taste of what it's like playing and then go down and develop more.

asdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 10:50 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

Have the Leafs hired an intreperter for Kulemin, or even english classes for the guy to go to?

TheLeastOfTheBunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 10:51 PM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Love the Leafs speed this year that Fletcher has brought from the new players.. Makes Antropov and Kubina look slow now out there in comparison.
They are slow.

Volcanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 10:53 PM
Ten

Quote:
I said it before and I'll say it again. Leafs 3rd line should be the kid line of

I agree as skilled as Antropov is he seems behind the pace of Kully and Grabo.. Pony and Antropov have always played well together as well so they just need a third.
Do you break up Steen and Hagman? Or do you sub in Stajan?

I think from the Buffalo game, Stajan was one of the most effective players in terms of generating chances. He was dishing the puck very well, got involved in the play and was rewarded with a goal from the top of the crease. Steen did much of the same tonight, and like Stajan he probably tipped in that shot from Schenn (although it's unlikely at this point that anyone will look back at it).

Old
09-26-2008, 10:53 PM
Platapie

Quote:
Baby Jesus weeps at line combos with Bell at center.

Overall one of the best pre-season games I've seen in a long time. Leafs look surprisingly fast and rather good at keeping possession on the power play. Looked like the better team through two periods, but the Penguins kind of just hit a switch and we couldn't handle them.

Either way, reasonably amusing group to watch. Hopefully they'll be this competitive in the regular season.

Platapie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 10:54 PM
Menacer

Yeah, it would probably be best for Schenn's development to get sent down to juniors for the upcoming season. He just isn't going to get a lot of playing time given our deep defensive corps. Guys like Doughty, Pietrangelo, and Bogosian might have to stay with their respective NHL clubs because of circumstance and will probably get Top-4 minutes because of injuries in the case of STL or an overall lack of defensive depth in the case of ATL and LA.

If we had moved one of Kubina or Kaberle during the offseason and not received Van Ryn in return for McCabe, there could possibly have been enough playing time available for Schenn so that it would help and not hinder his development to play this season with the big club. Fletcher's also come out and said that they don't want to rush Schenn's development, which I think is the best way to go given the long-term rebuilding plan being enacted by the new management.

Menacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 10:59 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platapie View Post
Baby Jesus weeps at line combos with Bell at center.

Overall one of the best pre-season games I've seen in a long time. Leafs look surprisingly fast and rather good at keeping possession on the power play. Looked like the better team through two periods, but the Penguins kind of just hit a switch and we couldn't handle them.

Either way, reasonably amusing group to watch. Hopefully they'll be this competitive in the regular season.
Bell, Grabovski, Steen, Stajan

Not an impressive group at all, but I don't know anyone who'd think Grabovski was a better centerman than any other Leaf forward, center or not who isn't named Hollweg.

Old
09-26-2008, 11:27 PM
Metallian*

Quote:

NO!

No more "kid line". This is a freakin rebuild we're doing here, that line should be at bare minimum 2nd line. If we're going to waste a season, all of our younger players should have every chance to get minutes to develop

Metallian* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 11:29 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlehead View Post
NO!

No more "kid line". This is a freakin rebuild we're doing here, that line should be at bare minimum 2nd line. If we're going to waste a season, all of our younger players should have every chance to get minutes to develop
Doesn't matter what number you put on it, RW will hand out playing time based on effectiveness.

Old
09-26-2008, 11:31 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlehead View Post
NO!

They're the 3rd line in name only .. I think you're going to see RW give the ATOI to the players performing best ..

RW in fact doesn't like give numbers to lines..

"No more "kid line". This is a freakin rebuild we're doing here". sounds like an inverse oxymoron.. Kid line and rebuilding with youth seems to be a perfect fit.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 11:39 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Do you break up Steen and Hagman? Or do you sub in Stajan?

I think from the Buffalo game, Stajan was one of the most effective players in terms of generating chances. He was dishing the puck very well, got involved in the play and was rewarded with a goal from the top of the crease. Steen did much of the same tonight, and like Stajan he probably tipped in that shot from Schenn (although it's unlikely at this point that anyone will look back at it).
Steen and Stajan are good friends and have had chemistry in the past.

The only problem with them paired together is that currently they're both playing center and doing it fairly well.

Maybe Steen moves to the wing with Stajan and Hagman and Antropov moves to center on the top unit with Poni and Blake.

Tlusty -- Grabo -- Kully
Hollweg -- Moore -- Mayers

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 11:52 PM
The Big Swede

Just got back from work and missed the game

How was the team tonight?

Who stood out and who didn't show up?

How was the team overall?

Thx

The Big Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 11:53 PM
Krazy

I think they have to send Schenn down, just to let his body mature more. I dont care how many muscles you have, at 18 your frame itself (ribcage, bones, ligaments) is still growing and it needs to increase in density. To play a physical brand of D against fully grown men is just begging for injury. Honestly I think 20 is the absolute youngest he should be.

Also I think

Tlusty Grabovskit Kulemin looks Good
Poni X Antro
Hagman X Blake.

Im not sure which set I would make Stajan and Steen center. Initially I would put Stajan with the towers because he plays a much better behind the net game. He can cycle the puck with the big boys. Steen Looks good with hagman and the 2 should be able to cover for blakes defensive woes....

Krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 11:58 PM
Metallian*

Quote:
They're the 3rd line in name only .. I think you're going to see RW give the ATOI to the players performing best ..

RW in fact doesn't like give numbers to lines..

"No more "kid line". This is a freakin rebuild we're doing here". sounds like an inverse oxymoron.. Kid line and rebuilding with youth seems to be a perfect fit.
fair enough. just in the past we've had a "kid line" as the 3rd line (ie, steen, wellwood, stajan) and they didnt get all too much ice time

Metallian* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 01:57 AM
zeke
#freewilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
He's a funny character, in two games he gets nothing but grief, while scoring 2 goals.
heh.

...and plays great defensively, and is the only one constantly going to the front of the net......

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 02:05 AM
zeke
#freewilly

Poni - Antropov - Kulemin
Tlusty - Steen - Hagman
Bell - Stajan - Blake
Hollweg - Moore - Mayers
(Newbury - Mitchell - Grabovski)

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote