HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Preseason: Nashville vs. Atlanta, 9/25/08

Old
09-26-2008, 09:11 AM
Jarnberg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilgro View Post
how was hornqvist guys?
I'll post what I already posted in this thread:

Quote:
Hornqvist was buzzing all around the net and did everything but score tonight. He was in the right places all night long but he failed to put it home. He had a great opportunity to tie the game with almost a wide open net and he just missed. A strong game for him tonight. He had some good chemistry with Dumont. He'll need to start finding the net though.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 09:48 AM
Jarnberg

The Tennessean has a good image of Hornqvist's miss to tie the game up:

And since people are requesting photos, Ryan Jones:

None of Laakso on there.

Source: http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....rams=Itemnr=11

Old
09-26-2008, 10:32 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Goal recap:

Hainsey got things started by firing a shot after a clean face off win. A bit of traffic to the net; looks like Rinne just didn't follow it too well.
That was Exelby.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 10:35 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
That was Exelby.
Oops, I typed the wrong name.. thanks!

Old
09-26-2008, 10:44 AM
braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroSennin View Post
So... why exactly? What did he do wrong or what did he lack? Or was he just nervous like Trotz said in an interview about him and Sulzer?

Not that I really expected him wow anyone there, but I just feel like it sometimes that people who are giving him credit usually say why (like you yourself did, after the rookie game), whereas guys who are putting him down only say "I was disappointed in Laakso", but never say why. Is he too slow, too soft, too out of position, not flashy enough, letting everyone skate around him in circles or what?

Now this is what you said after the rookie game:

What changed?

If that shift chart is correct, I don't think that was even really a fair chance to really show anything. The guy played almost as many shifts as Sulzer but difference in TOI was 10 minutes. Laakso had really short shifts most of the time. You can't really get in the flow of the game like that. The guy's used to playing 20+ minutes per game. Sometimes over 30.

Oh, and in whatever way this post comes out, I'm merely interested in him and how he's doing over there and not being able to see the games myself, I'd just appreciate more detail.
I was disappointed primarily because I expected to see two guys that looked like they were somewhat close to Kevin Klein.... fighting to be the first call up. It wasn't a disaster of a night for either of them and there was plenty of ok play from both but neither of them looked like they were right behind Klein in the depth chart. In fact, Blum was better for much of the night IMO. In particular, they both had instances of making rushed passes, looking nervous with the puck and not being particularly strong in front of and around the net.

In the rookie game, Laakso looked like he was just calmly letting the game come to him and seeing it and I didn't have that impression at all last night. Hope that helps (remember my opinions are free... and worth exactly what you pay for them)

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 11:23 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:

Oh God, I bet he wanted to shoot himself after that.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 12:06 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:

... then again, it is the pre-season, but man that sucks seeing how close he was to scoring and then hearing *clank*

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 12:08 PM
kilgro
Thank you Burke!

Quote:
I'll post what I already posted in this thread:
oops i guess i should read before i ask questions. haha thanks man. got him with the last overall pick in my league thats why i am so curious

kilgro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 12:25 PM
jstreet

vCash: 50
Jones:
I thought Jones was as advertised. He simply isnt going to razzle dazzle the crowd, but he went and stood in front of the goalie and tipped home a goal. That is his job and executed it. I like him the more that I see him, we just have to remember that he is what he is, a guy who will stand around in front of the net and loet pucks bounce off of him into the goal.

Blum:
This guy is smooth and is positionally sound almost all of the time. The question isnt will he ever play for us, but when. Probably when he can add some size.

Kelsey Wilson:
I was embarassed for him. He was whistled for 2 minor penalties, picked a fight and then proceeded to absorb 3 punches to the face before falling to the ice. Poor guy. We've seen the last of him.

Joel Ward:
I have to disagree with some of you guys, I was really not impressed with him. The man flubbed a 4 on 1 breakaway.

Santorelli:
He was buzzing around the ice. Seemed to be one of our better skaters, was always in the play.

Peverly:
His experience helped him out alot. He was always comfortable with the puck, especially patrolling the left faceoff dot while on the powerplay. He also had some nice shots on goal. The only thing that seperated him and Fiddler last night was experience.

Bonk:
Terrible. Should have dominated Atlanta's minor players and couldnt.

Rinne:
It's hard to blame him too much for the first 2 goals because Atlanta was executing very nicely on their PP. The first 2 goals were the exact same play and our Dmen were not moving the Thrasher out of the crease.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 12:27 PM
jstreet

also:

Last night made me really miss the Sully-Kariya speed kills, run and gun excitement.
This game was sloooooww. The Thrashers caught up to every breakaway chance that we had.

Old
09-26-2008, 12:49 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnlikestars View Post
also:

Last night made me really miss the Sully-Kariya speed kills, run and gun excitement.
This game was sloooooww. The Thrashers caught up to every breakaway chance that we had.
You do realize that Legwand, Erat weren't playing (2 of our faster players), along with Suter, Weber & Arnott

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 01:56 PM
jstreet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a Killer View Post
You do realize that Legwand, Erat weren't playing (2 of our faster players), along with Suter, Weber & Arnott
yep, but it doesnt change the fact that I missed seeing Sully and Kariya burn up the ice.

Old
09-26-2008, 02:00 PM
braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnlikestars View Post

Kelsey Wilson:
I was embarassed for him. He was whistled for 2 minor penalties, picked a fight and then proceeded to absorb 3 punches to the face before falling to the ice. Poor guy. We've seen the last of him.

Joel Ward:
I have to disagree with some of you guys, I was really not impressed with him. The man flubbed a 4 on 1 breakaway.
I totally forgot to post on Wilson but you nailed it. He made it easy to focus on a two-way battle for the Hordy spot. Painful.

As to Ward, I can only say I would expect Smithson to flub it too so the comparison stands.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 04:00 PM
Panopticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
Hope that helps
Thank you, it does.

I didn't really expect Laakso to be fighting for the first call up myself anyway. At least not untill Trotz mentioned something like that earlier during the camp. I thought he'd be fighting for that spot next year at the earliest...

Panopticon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 04:49 PM
jstreet

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post

As to Ward, I can only say I would expect Smithson to flub it too so the comparison stands.

touche.

Old
09-27-2008, 08:02 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Blum is probably the one player that has suprised me the most. He doesn't look at all out of place. Very smooth with the puck, skates well and is positionally sound.

I've never been very high on him before now but watching him you can see why he was drafted in the 1st round. If he can add some muscle, he'll be just fine.

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 11:34 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Blum is probably the one player that has suprised me the most. He doesn't look at all out of place. Very smooth with the puck, skates well and is positionally sound.

I've never been very high on him before now but watching him you can see why he was drafted in the 1st round. If he can add some muscle, he'll be just fine.
How big did he look Trig? I know he was 6'1 165 at the draft, but reports had him adding close to 20 pounds this year. Is he 185, 180, or 175ish?

I know its hard to guess a guy's weight, so I guess I'm asking - is he close physically or does he still need a lot of work?

09-28-2008, 07:21 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Height wise he's taller than Laakso. He does look thin though. I thought he looked bigger than his posted size.

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote