HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Carey Price Question

Old
09-27-2008, 08:53 AM
Bruinator

vCash: 500
Carey Price Question

I come in Peace Guys. As a Die Hard Bruins' fan, no one hates the habs more than I do. As a Hockey Fan, no one respects the Habs more than I do. It's the cross I have to bare. Having said that, I am also a former Goaltender who, if not for a lack of talent, would already have been a legend in this league. My question, and I'm sure this has been brought up amongst you before, is how many of you believe Mr. Gainy made a huge mistake last year in trading away your #1 goaltender in Christobel Huet, and essentially rushing your eir apparent in Price, into a limelight he clearly was not prepared to be in. My opinion is that Gainy had witnessed, in his lifetime, the amazing rookie performances of Dryden and Roy and gambled your franchise goalie's future on him being able to duplicate their feat. HInd sighgt is 20/20, but I can't help but wonder what might have been for you guys had you had a more experienced goaltender in the net in last year's playoffs. Do you think the negative experience that Price had will hamper or help him going forward? My take is that he will be one of the league's best goaltenders still, but it may take a little longer now because of his confidence being shaken. Whatever the case, it should be fun to witness the future goaltending battles between him and Rask. And by the way Halak and Regan aren't too shabby either! Quite honestly, I see our young teams as future power houses in this league. All the Best! (No, Not Really.)

Bruinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 08:58 AM
lxzred

I think it was the right choice, and he did it so that this year for the play-offs.
Anything that happened last year was bonus. It's really funny how a team that was suppose to struggle to make the play-offs are being called chokers after taking the division title and going to the second round.
Price will have experience for the drive for 25.

lxzred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 09:03 AM
HotPie

You won't find many people here thinking that Gainey made a mistake.

The reason Gainey traded Huet isn't from some fantasy of having seen Dryden and Roy go for it all as rookies and thinking Price would be able to win it all as well. That's actually pretty ridiculous.

Gainey traded Huet because we would have lost him for nothing during FA, and because he wanted to give Price valuable playoff experience. This has been said time and time again. The experience he gained in the playoffs has been everything but negative. If you heard any of his interviews coming into camp, he's never been more motivated in his life. He learned to lose, and what it takes to win. Case in point, he lost 28 lbs. and has a much greater focus. His confidence has been hardly shaken.

HotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 09:03 AM
couz

Well its a good question.

But we can get one thing clear, if anything, what happened to Price last year only made him hungrier...that's the type of character he is.

He's come to camp in probably the best shape of his life and according to all accounts looks quicker and more agile in net...basically he looks really good right now.

So in no way will it affect his futur success...even Marty Brodeur said last year that he went througfh the same thing in his NHL beginnings only to learn from the experience.

As far as last year, there's no proof Huet would have gotten the job done because his playoff record was just as thin as Price's...but maybe Gainey should have kept him around in case, the return wasn't that great that it was a must make deal to trade him.

couz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 09:06 AM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1000
Quote:
My question, and I'm sure this has been brought up amongst you before, is how many of you believe Mr. Gainy made a huge mistake last year in trading away your #1 goaltender in Christobel Huet, and essentially rushing your eir apparent in Price, into a limelight he clearly was not prepared to be in.
I dont think it was a mistake, i'd say it was a baptism by fire if you will for Price. Gainey has seen a lot in hockey and his mind was made up that Price would be his man and that he would rise to the occasion.

Great players want the pressure, in fact they relish it, Carey Price is that kind of player. Let me put it this way: if Gainey, who knows a hell of a lot more about hockey than i do, if he decided that Price was ready well i'm quite sure he took the right decision.

I hope the Bruins have a good season, but not that good.... and keep your eye on Michael Ryder: he'll score 50 goals for your team!
(i should not drink so much in the morning...)

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 09:11 AM
SOLR

Last year actually accelerated Price's progression. A reality check is always a good thing and Price as an elite character reacts well to those. Be careful what you wish for. Carey Price is not Fleury, never was, never will be...confidence is not a problem for every young goaltenders. For Carey, physical fitness was not at the right level last year and he seems to have made that extra step this summer.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 09:14 AM
montreal25m

my thoughts

Have to remember Huet hasnt' won anything in his career. Don't think he actually has won a playoff series as of yet. I know Gainey just believed that Price has that "potential" to steal a series and get really hot any point in time. While with Huet, he knew he wasn't the guy that can win you a stanley cup. In addition, we all saw what he did with the Canadian Junior Team (which is a huge stage, probably more pressure as you have the whole country counting on you instead of just a city) and the Hamilton Bulldogs where he won the Calder Cup.

Lastly, Price was very good against your Bruins and was mediocre agains the flyers. He had a long season, a long 2 yrs and in that series the pucks were just not bouncing his way...it happens unfortunately. Need a lot of good bounces to win that Stanley cup and unfortunately we were NOT getting any of them against the Flyers.

montreal25m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 09:17 AM
nopan
waddup doe

Send a message via Skype™ to nopan
Gainey didn't do anything wrong, he just accelerated Price's developpement.

nopan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 09:27 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

In the context of last year's playoff result, it's a head scratcher when a conference winner gives up their best goaltender as it heads to the post season.

Fast forward to present and you can see it crystalize a bit, Huet returns you a draft pick that allows you to fill a need with Robert Lang, you have 2 young goaltenders with more experience than had they been watching Huet from the sidelines, and you're further along in the development of your future between the pipes.

In other words time will tell, but there's room to take either side of the argument of whether Gainey made the correct call or not.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 09:35 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

To answer the original question, Price was not only good after the trade, but he put up some of the best numbers amongst goalies across the entire NHL from the trade deadline on. What Gainey couldn't predict is that Price would run out of juice from playing so much hockey in the last couple of years. Price, who's well rested, is the least of my concerns with this team. A true #4 defenseman and a true sniper are what I'm most worried about in spite of our balanced offense.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 09:42 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
To answer the original question, Price was not only good after the trade, but he put up some of the best numbers amongst goalies across the entire NHL from the trade deadline on. What Gainey couldn't predict is that Price would run out of juice from playing so much hockey in the last couple of years. Price, who's well rested, is the least of my concerns with this team. A true #4 defenseman and a true sniper are what I'm most worried about in spite of our balanced offense.
Uh, let's stop using this excuse right now shall we? Successful goaltenders play a lot. What he did 2 years ago in Junior is irrelevant to the Flyers series.

His performance has been up and down, he has much promise long term, but still things to figure out at the NHL level. Let's leave it at that.

Old
09-27-2008, 10:00 AM
Bruinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotPie View Post
You won't find many people here thinking that Gainey made a mistake.

The reason Gainey traded Huet isn't from some fantasy of having seen Dryden and Roy go for it all as rookies and thinking Price would be able to win it all as well. That's actually pretty ridiculous.

Gainey traded Huet because we would have lost him for nothing during FA, and because he wanted to give Price valuable playoff experience. This has been said time and time again. The experience he gained in the playoffs has been everything but negative. If you heard any of his interviews coming into camp, he's never been more motivated in his life. He learned to lose, and what it takes to win. Case in point, he lost 28 lbs. and has a much greater focus. His confidence has been hardly shaken.
This is the attitude I just can't understand. Everyone says, "we weren't supposed to make he palyoffs, anyway, so who cares?" The point is, when the trade was made, you guys were THE #1 team in the conference! I have never in my life witnessed a #1 team trading their # 1 goaltender away at the trading deadline and get so much backing from their fan base, essentially saying it was OK to write off a chance for the Cup for the sake of a second round draft choice.

Old
09-27-2008, 10:01 AM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

We also have to consider that, assuming Gainey really believes Price is worth investing in, he had to make some room for him. In the grand scheme of things, last year was a "tryout" year for the habs, with many important players being on their first or second NHL season. Sure we ended up first in the East, but nobody expected that, and that wasn't really the goal at the beginning of the season. In this context, Gainey had to give Price playing time, especially in the playoff. If you know that Huet will be gone anyway, why "waste" playoff experience opportunity on him instead of Price?

I have no idea if Carey will become all he can be, but I know that this season, if we make the playoff, he'll start with 2 series of experience instead of nothing. And considering how high the expectations are this season (and how goalies are so important in modern hockey), this could make the difference between a legitimate cup run and an early exit.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 10:04 AM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinator View Post
This is the attitude I just can't understand. Everyone says, "we weren't supposed to make he palyoffs, anyway, so who cares?" The point is, when the trade was made, you guys were THE #1 team in the conference! I have never in my life witnessed a #1 team trading their # 1 goaltender away at the trading deadline and get so much backing from their fan base, essentially saying it was OK to write off a chance for the Cup for the sake of a second round draft choice.
You call Huet our first goaltender, but it was more a question of experience and age than anything else. In practice, Huet wasn't significantly better than Price, and people were very confident about the later. You need to remember that between Huet's trade and the end of the regular season, Price was amazingly good and steady. He had, I don't remember, a 13-14 win streak at one point? It's only in the playoff that he began to have some difficulties. And Huet has never been a great goalie for us in the playoff either.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 10:05 AM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
Quote:
HUET WAS NOT THE #1.
Most fans and obviously Gainey as well understood when it came to the clutch Price > Huet.

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 10:09 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
There's no way Huet would have re-signed with Montreal.

Basically, make Price the #1 then, and have him play in the playoffs, or make him the #1 at the start of this season, without any post-season experience.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 10:10 AM
Bryzga lol*

Gainey had to trade Huet for matters that aren't well known to the general public. But it works perfectly because now you have a young superstar goaltender in the making heading into his 2nd season, which also happens to be the centennial.

Bryzga lol* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 10:11 AM
mlandry

Quote:
Are you kidding me? Have you never seen Huet play? He lets in the worst possible 3rd period goals everytime we have a lead, and he is overall a choke job. Price is clutch and does the job 60 minutes a game. He is way better than Huet.

mlandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 10:12 AM
Vinceee
Go Foreurs Go!

Send a message via MSN to Vinceee
at the trade deadline Price was already better than Huet

Vinceee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 10:13 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMR View Post
HUET WAS NOT THE #1.
Most fans and obviously Gainey as well understood when it came to the clutch Price > Huet.
Even our visiting Bruins fan knows this to be false.

Old
09-27-2008, 10:14 AM
kovalev47

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlandry View Post
Are you kidding me? Have you never seen Huet play? He lets in the worst possible 3rd period goals everytime we have a lead, and he is overall a choke job. Price is clutch and does the job 60 minutes a game. He is way better than Huet.
Price blew just as many leads yet some fans like you like to put all the blame on Huet. Yeah Price was so clutch versus Philly lol.

kovalev47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 10:14 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

here we go, Price's family has powered up their computers and are fully active on this thread. Close the thread now.

Old
09-27-2008, 10:15 AM
Bruinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
You call Huet our first goaltender, but it was more a question of experience and age than anything else. In practice, Huet wasn't significantly better than Price, and people were very confident about the later. You need to remember that between Huet's trade and the end of the regular season, Price was amazingly good and steady. He had, I don't remember, a 13-14 win streak at one point? It's only in the playoff that he began to have some difficulties. And Huet has never been a great goalie for us in the playoff either.
I get that Huet doesn't have the playoff reume either. I do get that. But still, it really seems to me that you guys are way too willing to accept that you "were'nt supposed to win it all" last year so let's give the young goalie some experience. Price was great down the stretch, no doubt, but clearly wasn't prepared for the pressure of the playoffs. It certainly appeared to me, by watching the Flyers/Capitals series, that Huet was. He didn't win the series, but he came a whole lot closer, with a far inferior team in front of him, than the habs did against the flyers. Let's face it, The east is wide open again this year, as it was last year. I would think, if you are on a roll, run with it, as you could just as easily be on the ouside, looking in the next year. Just My 2 cents.

Old
09-27-2008, 10:16 AM
Vinceee
Go Foreurs Go!

Send a message via MSN to Vinceee
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovalev47 View Post
Price blew just as many leads yet some fans like you like to put all the blame on Huet. Yeah Price was so clutch versus Philly lol.
Same for Huet in the first round! Lolllz !!!11!!1!

Vinceee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 10:16 AM
kovalev47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinceee View Post
at the trade deadline Price was already better than Huet
Price was not close to better. Bob handed Price the job on a silver platter. Price's stats didn't go up until Huet wasn't part of the team. Some fans here like to blame everything on Huet and excuse Price for everything. I'm waiting to see who the scapegoat will be this season. I'm guessing some of you already have Lats signed up for that position.

kovalev47 is offline   Reply With Quote