HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Preseason: 9/26/08 Ottawa @ Montreal 7:30PM EDT CKAC, CJAD ‎

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-27-2008, 12:08 AM
  #551
Iwishihadacup
Registered User
 
Iwishihadacup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Quebec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,716
vCash: 500
who are we facing?

Iwishihadacup is offline  
Old
09-27-2008, 12:18 AM
  #552
C-Saku Koivu MTL
Registered User
 
C-Saku Koivu MTL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,436
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
Wow that's some sucky roster.

Is that thing even up to the standards of the league? You need to have a minimum number of veterans on the roster. I'm counting 8.
The minimum needed is 8 so we're ok.

C-Saku Koivu MTL is offline  
Old
09-27-2008, 12:19 AM
  #553
bergo
Registered User
 
bergo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 50
vCash: 500
Just came back from the game and what a game it was. For a pre-season game it was so intense... hitting, 4 fights, scrums... it was great... The sens could not match our speed. AK drew 2 penalties cause of it

I saw Trevor Timmins during 2nd intermission, he was talking to someone so i really didn't want to bother him. But do i ever regret not saying hi, he's like Jesus on this board.
So my impressions - They don't mean much because i have no eye for the game

Henry- One on One he plays the man well but he can't give or take a pass. Got into two fights tonight

Weber- Did very well on the point on the PP. I thought he played well in our zone. Played well overall

PK- Great fight. lost the puck on a few offences rushes. Succesfully attempted the spin-orama twice in one shift. Great first pass. Thought he played well he the defensive zone. Played with henry which could make anyone not look as good as they are.

O'B- Looked great. Screw Mcguire. Played physical, played the man well. Looked confident. Good first pass.

Markov+ Josh- Played their normal great game

Halak- Easy night

Plek, Kov, AK - AMAZING, especially AK. After watching this game, i have no doubt in my mind that this line should NOT be broken up. Considering this is their first game together they still looked like their in mid season form. AK was great all night

SK- Great in both zones. Played the point on the PP ( I think we'll see him an Tang playing the point throughout the year). Played physical

Pathes- He's scoring touch and playmaking skills are not NHL Ready. but he controls the puck behind the net very well, he hits, he skates with power. Good shot. Pretty much standard, hes not as offensively gifted as i thought he would be but he does have the physicsl tools to play at this level.

D'Ags and Maxwell- Besides D'ags goal i thought both had a quiet game offensively. Now just to remind people i don't have an eye for this stuff so i don't know how well they supported the defence. So they could have had an effective game based on their defensive play but i just didnt notice it.

Desharnais- Great behind the back pass to Dags for his goal. Liked his game (based on my lower expectations of him) Clearly bound for the AHL No more ECHL

Beg- kost - Lap - Typical high tempo style

I was sititng at the end that the canadiens defended twice- The four goal outburst in the 2nd was sick

For a preseason game i had such a great time

bergo is offline  
Old
09-27-2008, 12:29 AM
  #554
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 50,379
vCash: 500
Just a sick pass by Desharnais on the D'Agostini goal....

This kid deserves a shot in the AHL, no doubt about that and not just based on that pass obviously.

Finally some icetime for Oliver Lats and Russell, good for them. With that blowout, I'm expecting some kind of blowout as well for them tomorrow with that lineup. Good luck to Denis to make him as much of a game that they can. Alfredsson and Fisher should be in the lineup.

Whitesnake is online now  
Old
09-27-2008, 12:35 AM
  #555
TCIH
Registered User
 
TCIH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,334
vCash: 500
After hearing accounts of his performances over the past few days, and seeing some of the highlights, I'm probably most excited to see how Andrei Kostitsyn improves this season. I'd consider last year a breakout year, but it looks like he may be able to take things to the next level, which is remarkable considering the improvements from 06/07 to 07/08.

TCIH is online now  
Old
09-27-2008, 12:43 AM
  #556
Locks
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 376
vCash: 500
Was at the game. I will focus on the prospects.

Halak: Was solid but not really tested. Ottawa had serious trouble penetrating our defense.

O'Byrne: Was solid most of the time, effectively using his size. In one instance did not move the puck quickly enough and got in trouble, but he is still learning the game.

Henry: Not bad, does not mess up, but his foot speed is what might keep him from the NHL.

Weber: unfortunately for him, Carbo decided to put Sergey on the right point for most of the night so Yannick did not get a chance to showcase his terrific pp skills ,as he did against Buffalo, untill the third. Nevertheless, he got a couple or so chances to take a shot and took advantage of it as he wired it top corner. However, his D needs some work, although he got better as the game progressed.

Suban: PK had a good game but started to become a showman in the third. Again, didn't get much pp time as Markov and Sergey got the lion's share.

Markov: another great outing, looks like he is ready for the season.

Forwards

Kovy: looked great, but was aware it was preseason so was trying some fancy stuff every now and then. The whole first line was just too much for the senators to handle.

Sergey: The little brother came to play for the first time this preseason and looked very much like the player we know. The kid line of him, Maxwell and MaxPac looked very good.

Andrey: best player on the ice - did it all, including drawing 2 penalties with his speed and moves.

D'Agostini: I liked him. Was strong on the skates, protected the puck well, along the boards, and scored a nice goal top corner. That line of D'Ago, Desharnais and Stewart created their share of chances.

Desharnais: He has speed and skills. Made a nice behind-the-back pass to D'Ago for the goal. But at 5'6 he will have to prove a lot of skeptics wrong. Would be interesting to see how he does in hamilton.

MaxPac: This guy was great. Very good skater, covers a lot of ice when forecheking. He was creating offense with his speed, strength along the boards, vision and passing. Also, very good defensively, breaking the ottawa rushes in their or neutral zone, demonstrating great anticipation. He will start the season in Hamilton just because all spots are acounted for, but if there is someone who could pull a Sergey this year, it is him.

Maxwell: was decent but did not really stand out in this game like his linemates MaxPac and Sergey. Definitely needs time in hamilton but has some very good skills and skating ability.

Stewart: While he might need some more seasoning, he is not far from being a fourth line grinder in the NHL. Good mobility, strong on the puck, understands the game and plays an intense game. He could be a substantial upgrade over a guy like Kosto.

Kosto, Lapierre and Begin: played their game and was the only line that was not much fun to watch.

Overall, much better roster than the one they had against buffalo.

Locks is online now  
Old
09-27-2008, 01:20 AM
  #557
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
I don't like putting too much weight on a pre-season game but considering that the Sens had most of their team out there and that we only had half of ours, it's better to be on the winning side of a 5-0 game than on the other side.

Heck, look at our line-up tonight:

Andrei Kostitsyn - Tomas Plekanec - Alex Kovalev
Max Pacioretty - Ben Maxwell - Sergei Kostitsyn
Gregory Stewart - David Desharnais- Matt D'Agostini
Steve Bégin - Maxim Lapierre - Tom Kostopoulos

Andrei Markov - Ryan O'Byrne
Josh Gorges - P.K. Subban
Alex Henry - Yannick Weber

Jaroslav Halak


EDIT: I see that Auld won't be fighting for a starting spot in Ottawa... they're in trouble in net and their defense isn't what it used to be.

Habsterix* is offline  
Old
09-27-2008, 01:55 AM
  #558
Erik Estrada
Registered User
 
Erik Estrada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,861
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locks View Post
Was at the game. I will focus on the prospects.

Halak: Was solid but not really tested. Ottawa had serious trouble penetrating our defense.

O'Byrne: Was solid most of the time, effectively using his size. In one instance did not move the puck quickly enough and got in trouble, but he is still learning the game.

Henry: Not bad, does not mess up, but his foot speed is what might keep him from the NHL.

Weber: unfortunately for him, Carbo decided to put Sergey on the right point for most of the night so Yannick did not get a chance to showcase his terrific pp skills ,as he did against Buffalo, untill the third. Nevertheless, he got a couple or so chances to take a shot and took advantage of it as he wired it top corner. However, his D needs some work, although he got better as the game progressed.

Suban: PK had a good game but started to become a showman in the third. Again, didn't get much pp time as Markov and Sergey got the lion's share.

Markov: another great outing, looks like he is ready for the season.

Forwards

Kovy: looked great, but was aware it was preseason so was trying some fancy stuff every now and then. The whole first line was just too much for the senators to handle.

Sergey: The little brother came to play for the first time this preseason and looked very much like the player we know. The kid line of him, Maxwell and MaxPac looked very good.

Andrey: best player on the ice - did it all, including drawing 2 penalties with his speed and moves.

D'Agostini: I liked him. Was strong on the skates, protected the puck well, along the boards, and scored a nice goal top corner. That line of D'Ago, Desharnais and Stewart created their share of chances.

Desharnais: He has speed and skills. Made a nice behind-the-back pass to D'Ago for the goal. But at 5'6 he will have to prove a lot of skeptics wrong. Would be interesting to see how he does in hamilton.

MaxPac: This guy was great. Very good skater, covers a lot of ice when forecheking. He was creating offense with his speed, strength along the boards, vision and passing. Also, very good defensively, breaking the ottawa rushes in their or neutral zone, demonstrating great anticipation. He will start the season in Hamilton just because all spots are acounted for, but if there is someone who could pull a Sergey this year, it is him.

Maxwell: was decent but did not really stand out in this game like his linemates MaxPac and Sergey. Definitely needs time in hamilton but has some very good skills and skating ability.

Stewart: While he might need some more seasoning, he is not far from being a fourth line grinder in the NHL. Good mobility, strong on the puck, understands the game and plays an intense game. He could be a substantial upgrade over a guy like Kosto.

Kosto, Lapierre and Begin: played their game and was the only line that was not much fun to watch.

Overall, much better roster than the one they had against buffalo.
Doesn't surprise me that not all the prospects played their best game. Playing your first game in the loudest and most partisan arena in the world would intimidate anyone.

Erik Estrada is offline  
Old
09-27-2008, 02:26 AM
  #559
King City Warrior
Registered User
 
King City Warrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,848
vCash: 500
pre-season

Quote:
Originally Posted by #11 Saku Koivu View Post
So wouldn't that mean Montreal also played all of its prospective players against Ottawa's top players?

Let's be fair here: both teams were missing major components of their real roster, but both iced competitive teams. It was pretty much a wash. And yes, it is only preseason, so this game was meaningless. But in this meaningless game, Montreal dominated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmef8vtec View Post
Keep stealing your quotes from team 1200, how many prospective players played against our 1 NHL line out there, wait till they have to contain three lines with similar staying power
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacKmtl View Post
Chalk up one more in our moral win column.
Yes, that's what I was referring to, Ottawa has to leave much earlier, so they have to make some harsh decisions regarding their roster, and my point was Montreal kicked their ass soundly, it was impressive to watch the highlights on tsn.

Not sure what you mean about team1200, I just knew that they wanted to test the prospects against some good players on montreal and they will probably make some interesting moves.

As a fan of both teams, it's interesting to see them go at it, and also nice to see montreal doing so well, but we shall have to see how well they do in the regular season and possibly the playoffs.

By the way, what is this moral win column thing you are talking about? I'm not sure but it would be great to see the two teams battle it out perhaps in the ECF this year if the teams can both make it that far.

A classic canadian song here:

King City Warrior is offline  
Old
09-27-2008, 02:33 AM
  #560
Galchenyuk x 27
Registered User
 
Galchenyuk x 27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,841
vCash: 1976
just got home and saw the highlights


Great effort by the habs!!

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline  
Old
09-27-2008, 02:34 AM
  #561
le_sean
Registered User
 
le_sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 15,306
vCash: 612
Saw the highlights on TSN finally. I love the class on the Sens, Heatley running Plekanec from behind and cross-checking him, two guys jumping Subban, Smith not removing his helmet when fighting even though he has a visor. That's why they got smoked in the SC Finals, they are just a bunch of *******.

le_sean is offline  
Old
09-27-2008, 03:00 AM
  #562
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Ohashi_Jouzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 24,208
vCash: 500
Hard to say which gives me more satisfaction nowadays, beating the Sens or the Bruins. Shutting out Spezza&Heatley sure feels good though. Those two are going to have to put up 150 pts seasons each to make up for that defense this year.

Ohashi_Jouzu is online now  
Old
09-27-2008, 03:39 AM
  #563
King City Warrior
Registered User
 
King City Warrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,848
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Saw the highlights on TSN finally. I love the class on the Sens, Heatley running Plekanec from behind and cross-checking him, two guys jumping Subban, Smith not removing his helmet when fighting even though he has a visor. That's why they got smoked in the SC Finals, they are just a bunch of *******.
There are quite a few teams that do more dangerous things than that, it's just hockey, it's an emotional aggressive sport. It's nothing like an Ulf Samuelsson move, his helmet came off anyway. This was one of the worst things I saw from the past season.


King City Warrior is offline  
Old
09-27-2008, 04:09 AM
  #564
ari1160
 
ari1160's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 2,259
vCash: 500
just got home.. saw the highlights on tsn.... and whats up with Heatley running Plekanec and crosschecking him after ??
that a.kosty goal was nice from pleknec and markov on pp.

ari1160 is offline  
Old
09-27-2008, 05:26 AM
  #565
brownman*
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 9,229
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ari1160 View Post
whats up with Heatley running Plekanec and crosschecking him after ??
Way back when I was a lad we called that "hockey".

brownman* is offline  
Old
09-27-2008, 09:32 AM
  #566
Marc the Habs Fan
Moderator
MVP
 
Marc the Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Longueuil
Country: Canada
Posts: 57,069
vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
Is that thing even up to the standards of the league? You need to have a minimum number of veterans on the roster. I'm counting 8.
Pretty sure that rule is a myth.

Look at Carolina's roster a couple of days ago:

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/boxscore?gid=2008092523

Marc the Habs Fan is offline  
Old
09-27-2008, 11:23 AM
  #567
JGRB
#EllerThugLife
 
JGRB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,106
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Pretty sure that rule is a myth.

Look at Carolina's roster a couple of days ago:

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/boxscore?gid=2008092523
That is one awful lineup.

JGRB is offline  
Old
09-27-2008, 11:42 AM
  #568
Crusher20
Registered User
 
Crusher20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Montreal
Country: Ecuador
Posts: 4,645
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Crusher20 Send a message via Yahoo to Crusher20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Pretty sure that rule is a myth.

Look at Carolina's roster a couple of days ago:

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/boxscore?gid=2008092523
did you see the number of penatlies on that game.. lol

at least Caro scored 2 goals..

Crusher20 is offline  
Old
09-27-2008, 12:40 PM
  #569
ari1160
 
ari1160's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 2,259
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownman View Post
Way back when I was a lad we called that "hockey".
lol.. yeaaa i know what u mean but it was just a preseason game.

ari1160 is offline  
Old
09-27-2008, 12:42 PM
  #570
anarmandaleb
 
anarmandaleb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hiding in a blanket
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,619
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ari1160 View Post
just got home.. saw the highlights on tsn.... and whats up with Heatley running Plekanec and crosschecking him after ??
that a.kosty goal was nice from pleknec and markov on pp.
S'okay. Kosto and Gorges took care of that ****er.

anarmandaleb is offline  
Old
09-27-2008, 12:55 PM
  #571
Habnot
 
Habnot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,717
vCash: 500
Saw the game last night, overall the Sens cannot match the Habs from a speed nor talent. And this without 5 sure forwards not in the lineup. I'll restrict my comments to those not called Markov, Kovy, Pleks and Kost who were all in fine form.

Most Impressed with - O'Byrne. Plays with some assurance and really started to use his body. Half way through the game I turned to my son and said that if Komi leaves, I wouldn't be that concerned. Once O'Byrne becomes nastier I think he has more upside than Komi, better first pass, more fluid skater with the puck.

Also, Pacioretty. He will be a stud. Wins majority of battles, great skater, makes plays. I wouldn't be surprised if he starts the year in Montreal.

Finally very impressed with Maxwell. Smooth is how best to describe

Habnot is offline  
Old
09-27-2008, 12:57 PM
  #572
Jedrik
Registered User
 
Jedrik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,819
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergo View Post
O'B- Looked great. Screw Mcguire. Played physical, played the man well. Looked confident. Good first pass.
What did McGuire say about O'byrne?

Jedrik is offline  
Old
09-27-2008, 02:12 PM
  #573
fredez
Registered User
 
fredez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,413
vCash: 500
I was at the game last night, my comments :

Andrei Kostitsyn is a really special player, he can do it all. Laid some very solid hits, set up beautiful plays and simply controlled the play on several occasions. He has all the tools to be the most complete player the Habs have had for the last 10 years.

Kovalev was just having fun out there trying (and succeeding) some masterful dekes. Very fun to watch.

I was surprised by Desharnais, he played pretty well on the PK and displayed very good vision on 2 or 3 occasions. I think he could potentially surprise down the road.

Plekanec is so consistent, night in night out he always gives 100%.

I liked what I saw from Pacioretty, not afraid to go out for a hit and def. not afraid to shoot the puck. Seems like a very good skater too.

Maxwell was faster and smoother than I thought but didn't show much last night.

I expected Alex Henry to be a cone but he was surprisingly solid and a lot more mobile than I expected. Great fight with Neil.

Subban was decent, had a great fight but he looked nervous as hell on some occasions and made some bad decisions but he def has a solid package to make the NHL eventually.

What a great game to watch overall (the 2nd period especially) a lot of action and intensity. I'm very satisfied by our team. And to think that we iced only one of our top 3 lines is absolutely sick.

fredez is offline  
Old
09-27-2008, 02:14 PM
  #574
andreconstantin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: mtl
Country: Canada
Posts: 257
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to andreconstantin
There are 2 players that haven't played much to date, Trotter and Tanguay? Any reason why?

andreconstantin is offline  
Old
09-27-2008, 02:17 PM
  #575
Locks
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 376
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habnot View Post
Most Impressed with - O'Byrne. Plays with some assurance and really started to use his body. Half way through the game I turned to my son and said that if Komi leaves, I wouldn't be that concerned. Once O'Byrne becomes nastier I think he has more upside than Komi, better first pass, more fluid skater with the puck.

Also, Pacioretty. He will be a stud. Wins majority of battles, great skater, makes plays. I wouldn't be surprised if he starts the year in Montreal.

Finally very impressed with Maxwell. Smooth is how best to describe
I mostly agree with that. Ryan played a very solid game, I was particularly impressed with how quickly he was able to close in on a sens' forward to either hit him or pin against the boards. And displayed a lot more confidence moving the puck - last year iced it a lot more. It is not often we see a d-man of his size with that skating ability.
MaxPac will likely not start the season in Montreal unless there is an injury to a top 9 forward. Carbo is quoted in the Gazette as saying that "Max is showing right now that he can play in the NHL and he will be a good player in the near future". But if all are healthy, there is no room.
Another forward who could move up is D'Ago - it is too bad for him that the Habs are so stacked cause he could make the roster on a number of teams, not just on the rebuilding leafs. He can be that right-shooting replacement for Ryder - he is a scorer with a better all around game that fits the Habs' style well. I think him and MaxPac will be the first forward callups, depending on their performance in Hamilton and positional need - LW or RW.
The line of MaxPac, D'Ago and Maxwell might be one of the most entertaining in the AHL, particularly with Weber supporting their rushes.

Locks is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:44 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.