HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: life in Kingston

Old
09-27-2008, 11:35 AM
VirginiaMtlExpat
Going thru customs

vCash: 500
OT: life in Kingston

Hi folks, I am considering a return to Canada, for a position at Queen's. Can anyone give me pointers about life in Kingston? Nice areas to live vs not so nice? My wife is Japanese: what is the likelihood of her finding employment anywhere near Kingston?

VirginiaMtlExpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 11:43 AM
Shred

Wouldn't your wife's chances of getting a job depend on her skills, formation and experience? Unless you mean that she can't do anything other than look and speak japanese.

Shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 11:50 AM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
Kingston is a great city.
Much of Kingston is nice to live in but as with any city there is lower incoming housing (more east of the downtown core)
Queens is great school, homecoming is this weekend so the city is ROCKIN.

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 01:06 PM
mcphee

We've got a few posters there that are pretty good guys, so as a Hab fan, you're covered. MY wife's cousin is there, but that's usually not mentionned in the Chamber of Commerce brochure.

MY daughter is considering Queens next year which I'm sure will be a point to be considered.

I dunno, GME, I've only heard nice things, your 3 hours from a major city both east or west, near a lot of nice cottage country.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 01:41 PM
VirginiaMtlExpat
Going thru customs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shred View Post
Wouldn't your wife's chances of getting a job depend on her skills, formation and experience? Unless you mean that she can't do anything other than look and speak japanese.
She was an executive secretary in Japan, but this kind of specialization does not cross borders as easily as MD or scientist, as has been the case for me. Her English is good, but not native-level, especially when writing. In short, her appeal is stronger to a Japanese company than otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
We've got a few posters there that are pretty good guys, so as a Hab fan, you're covered. MY wife's cousin is there, but that's usually not mentionned in the Chamber of Commerce brochure.

MY daughter is considering Queens next year which I'm sure will be a point to be considered.

I dunno, GME, I've only heard nice things, your 3 hours from a major city both east or west, near a lot of nice cottage country.
Thanks for the heads up about your daughter. I don't know enough about her for it to detract from the appeal of the place. The project itself sounds like fun, though. I don't want to spill the beans right away, but you may hear about it someday. It could be a minor revolution in medicine.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 09-29-2008 at 01:25 PM.
Old
09-27-2008, 02:13 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyMontrealExpat View Post
Thanks for the heads up about your daughter. I don't know enough about her for it to detract from the appeal of the place. The project itself sounds like fun, though. I don't want to spill the beans right away, but you may hear about it someday. It could be a minor revolution in medicine.
She can be unpleasant at times, takes after her Mom, but not to the point that you'd avoid a city on her account.

Viva la revolutione.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 12:40 AM
Russeltown

Queen's is a great university. You should defenitely come over here. Downtown (The Real Downtown is absolutely gorgeous). Other than that, it depends of what you want to do. I live just outside of the student area (west of Macdonnell St and south of Princess St). I really like it; it's calm, quiet, the neighbours care for the area.

As for your girlfriend, I am pretty sure she can find a job in Kinston. If she can speak English, even if it's not at native-level, it can only get better. She could seek for both private and public employment.

Russeltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 06:34 AM
nnynetpotato

Kingston's a very pleasant small city.I've been over many times,and it's always a good experience.It's gotten more international over the past several years.

nnynetpotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 06:35 AM
JMMR

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnynetpotato View Post
Kingston's a very pleasant small city.I've been over many times,and it's always a good experience.It's gotten more international over the past several years.
You must have liked your time here if you joined HF to make this your first post.

Old
09-28-2008, 06:41 AM
nnynetpotato

I've been registered for a couple weeks now and lurking for longer than that...

Having said that,it's a very nice town.

nnynetpotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 09:31 AM
puckeater

If you are buying a house, let me know. I'm a realtor here. Kingston is a great hip town with a ton of history, architecture and a vibrant night life. Terrific selection of restaurants, patios, bars, amazing sunsets/rises and a stable economy. Just built a new barn for the junior team. Stay away from the north east part of downtown. East of downtown is fine - it's the military base and RMC. WRT your wife finding employment with limited english skills, she may find something within the university or DND perhaps.

puckeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 04:52 PM
The n00b King
Kingin' since 2003

what i have to say about Kingston isnt very nice but im sure Beaker will fill you in.

On another note, you never answered all my questions MtlGermanExpat

Wie ist Deutschland!?

The n00b King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 05:00 PM
Riverside Habs Fan

Send a message via AIM to Riverside Habs Fan Send a message via MSN to Riverside Habs Fan
I grew up there. I moved to Ottawa for school but go home when I can.

Nice place I would recommend it.

Riverside Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 05:04 PM
ToysInTheAttic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnynetpotato View Post
I've been registered for a couple weeks now and lurking for longer than that...

Having said that,it's a very nice town.
Ya met Lord Chezz yet?

Quote:
Hi folks, I am considering a return to Canada, for a position at Queen's. Can anyone give me pointers about life in Kingston? Nice areas to live vs not so nice? My wife is Japanese: what is the likelihood of her finding employment anywhere near Kingston?
Assuming you are a Canadian citizen. Your wife, who is Japanese will be unemployed for at the very least a year, probably + more. My nephew(Canadian) married an American girl, well educated. Tons of red tape. Only now after about 4 years has she been able to enter the employment sector.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 09-29-2008 at 01:26 PM.
ToysInTheAttic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 05:38 PM
BobbyFischer*

Pics of your wife?

BobbyFischer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 05:53 PM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyFischer View Post
Pics of your wife?
lmfao!

Ottawa is a terrible city, man.

Kingston I would imagine is almost as bad.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 11:30 PM
HardcoreHab
A Man With No Plan

vCash: 1035
I love Kingston. Most of it anyway (couple of slummy areas but what city doesn't, right?). Quiet town with some night life and it's a quick trip down the road fron all three major cities in the area (Montreal, Toronto and Ottawa). The US border is a quick half hour away. Queen's is a great school too. No complaints here.

HardcoreHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 11:52 PM
le_sean

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
lmfao!

Ottawa is a terrible city, man.

Kingston I would imagine is almost as bad.
Ottawa is a great city, I love being here. Clean, safe, enough to do so you aren't bored. Two hours from Montreal. It's a nice place.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 02:25 AM
VirginiaMtlExpat
Going thru customs

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckeater View Post
If you are buying a house, let me know. I'm a realtor here. Kingston is a great hip town with a ton of history, architecture and a vibrant night life. Terrific selection of restaurants, patios, bars, amazing sunsets/rises and a stable economy. Just built a new barn for the junior team. Stay away from the north east part of downtown. East of downtown is fine - it's the military base and RMC. WRT your wife finding employment with limited english skills, she may find something within the university or DND perhaps.
Hi puckeater, thanks for the kind offer. I'll keep it in mind.

My wife possesses good spoken English, especially in relation to other Japanese. She has lived in Australia in the past. She could probably work as an interpreter, in a pinch.

Her written English needs a spell-checker though, for reasons of phonetic confusion: there is one Japanese r sound that is somewhere between our r and l sounds, and traditionally there is no v as well, so that b maps to either b or v. My feeling is that she will start off taking French lessons, which she's been meaning to do for a long time, while also sending out feelers for a job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyFischer View Post
Pics of your wife?
Okay, but you have to suffer through pictures of me.
http://picasaweb.google.com/JapanMon...t/PragueMay08#

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominant Hegemony View Post
what i have to say about Kingston isnt very nice but im sure Beaker will fill you in.

On another note, you never answered all my questions MtlGermanExpat

Wie ist Deutschland!?
Sorry DH. Mixed reviews. Like the country, but wouldn't want to work there. And Leipzig also gets mixed reviews. In some ways, very beautiful, while in other ways, terribly disenfranchised, in a manner inherited from the DDR.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 09-29-2008 at 01:44 PM.
Old
09-29-2008, 10:36 AM
JMMR

Quote:
Okay, but you have to suffer through pictures of me.
http://picasaweb.google.com/JapanMon...t/PragueMay08#
He was just kidding.
But I love the fact that you actually granted his request.

Old
09-29-2008, 11:08 AM
Russeltown

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMR View Post
He was just kidding.
But I love the fact that you actually granted his request.
Yeah, that's kinda' funny.
IYF!!!!

Old
09-29-2008, 11:23 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysicalTorque View Post
Kingston is a horrible city, it's so boring, you'll find yourself making trouble to keep yourself entertained. Just like the majority of teens there.

If you have a friend who is a visible minority, it will be a cultural shock for the people there.
There is nothing more boring then the city of Ottawa

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 11:30 AM
Fido22

I drank beers in Kingston once. That is all I remember. Sorry.

Fido22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 11:35 AM
Russeltown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fido22 View Post
I drank beers in Kingston once. That is all I remember. Sorry.
You should come over, we could have some drinks with Beaker, JMMR and the others. And then, we could go to the Zoo

Old
09-29-2008, 11:46 AM
Squeaky

I grew up in Kingston. Parents and Grandfather still live there.

Kingston is a great town. Best one I've been to in Ontario, pretty comfortably. Keep in mind that it is a town, not a city. If you're looking for everything a city provides you're looking in the wrong place. I can remember in high school I thought Kingston was nothing special. Then I went to Waterloo for university and started moving around a bunch for jobs. I've lived in a few towns of about the same size, and none could hold a candle to Kingston imo. Guelph was pretty nice though, to be fair.

Queens is an outstanding school. I know three or four people who do research there, and they all seem to like it. The campus is gorgeous, and the community is good. Probably one of the most pleasant universities to work at, though I don't really know much about that sort of thing.

Kingston as a town, is very nice. Lots of history, old buildings, forts and the like. Pretty respectable waterfront and city core. The nightlife is good with lots of good restaurants and pubs and the like. If you're into clubbing, you're going to be disappointed. Doesn't sound to me like that would matter much in this context though. There's also really good outdoorsy stuff nearby. A provincial park within a 30 minute drive, and access to the St. Laurence, Lake Ontario and the Rideau Canal. Cottages abound in the area; Kingston is about as good as it gets for getting to the outdoors without going to Northern Ontario.

In terms of where to live, my advice is to stay in the city core. That's where all the nicer housing is, and everything there is to do in Kingston is downtown. Especially if you like older, Victorian style homes, downtown Kingston is ideal. If you're into suburbs and lots of boring circular streets, feel free to check out the township. If you're more of an apartment/condo sort of guy, you've got less to pick from. I'll echo the sentiments that the NE bit of town is a little seedier, but even still it's not so bad. Anywhere SE of Princess and Division is pretty nice. That's where the university and hospital are so it's likely where you'd be looking anyway.

For the wife, things might be tough. Kingston is a pretty whitewashed town. The highschool I went to had 1100+ kids, and you could count the number of black kids on one hand. Minorities made up under 10% I would say. There is a bit of an Asian community in Kingston, but to the best of my knowledge not much of that is Japanese. I wouldn't expect to find much in the way of quality Japanese restaurants. I also wouldn't expect to find many places she could work primarily with other Japanese people. I suppose one of the three big schools (Queens, St. Lawrence or RMC) might have something. I'm less optimistic about her chances with the military, but you never know. The only real Japanese presence in town comes from tourism, which there is a fair bit of. Lots of bus tours that are mostly made up of Japanese folk come in to see the buildings and trees and whatnot. I suppose she might be able to find something there, but that doesn't exactly scream "dream job" to me.

Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote