HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Could you imagine if...

Old
09-27-2008, 05:05 PM
GoldenForum

vCash: 500
Could you imagine if...

If the Habs brass would have selected Angie Esposito over Max Pac during the 2007 draft. I bring this up because the French press was going a bit crazy over us not having drafted Espo despite our two first round picks that year. Thank goodness Timmins and Co. have the cajones to make the tough choices they do in this hockey market.

ps. I'm no French basher-- I'm bilingual and love Quebec's dual culture, but sometimes a minor few @%!?* in the French press (I can't even bring myself to read any of the junk La Presse's Tremblay writes) just spew some nationalist hockey banter and are, in short, clueless.

pps. Dave Perron and Giroux would have been great picks

GoldenForum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 05:09 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenForum View Post
If the Habs brass would have selected Angie Esposito over Max Pac during the 2007 draft. I bring this up because the French press was going a bit crazy over us not having drafted Espo despite our two first round picks that year. Thank goodness Timmins and Co. have the cajones to make the tough choices they do in this hockey market.

ps. I'm no French basher-- I'm bilingual and love Quebec's dual culture, but sometimes a minor few @%!?* in the French press (I can't even bring myself to read any of the junk La Presse's Tremblay writes) just spew some nationalist hockey banter and are, in short, clueless.

well, Espo was drafted before MaxPac and Giroux wasn't even the same year. BTW, I wanted Giroux that year and I still think that Fischer wasn't a great pick.

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 05:11 PM
Lone Rogue

I've been warned before for my anti-Quebec sovereignty opinions before, but I actually was disappointed we skipped out on Angelo because I thought he was one of those guys who dipped at the end of the year but still had the talent to be a 1st Overall player, just like how Andrei Kostitsyn was originally tabbed as a potential Top 3 pick but his epilepsy held him back for us to draft him. So far it seems my thoughts were way off and I'm glad we didn't snag him.

Quebec hockey has dropped dramatically in terms of producing great superstars and thats something someone else could explain better. However, the only Quebec born player (though I guess he is dual citizen) in the last few years I really wanted on the Habs is Paul Stastny, and we missed him by one pick (Gui was the next best choice).

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 05:13 PM
Corey

Angelo was drafted and then traded in a deal for a rental player. I don't see the Habs trading Max. (Maybe Angelo if they had drafted him.)

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 05:19 PM
One Trick Pony

How can you say this.. both havent played in NHL yet!

Edit: Unless you're not talking about the skills and only about the language issue

One Trick Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 05:21 PM
DrMailloux

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenForum View Post

They are still both great prospect who never even played in the NHL... wait 5-6 years and we will be more able to compare.

DrMailloux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 05:37 PM
Mad Habber

Esposito wasn't available when we drafted MaxPac. He was available when we drafted McDonagh. Although Esposito will probably play some of his handful of games in the NHL before McDonagh, I don't think too many people would rate him above McDo.

On the list of Top 20 Mtl Prospects, McDo is rated 2nd. S.Kost 3rd and MaxPac 4th.

Esposito is ranked 8th on a team that is ranked 23rd amongst the league in prospect depth. The Habs are ranked 4th.

There is no doubt in my mind that the Habs made the right choice and the only people who preferred Esposito would prefer to have a crappy team that is mostly or completely French rather than a strong contender. And I'm not bashing the French players, but the players like Lecavalier, Gagne Tanguay are still drafted by other teams while we get the left overs. Just imagine Latendresse instead of Price and some other guy who isn't in the league probably drafted in Lats spot.

Mad Habber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 05:41 PM
Fire Brunet*

I remember when Timmins selected Pac.

Yvon was like "C'est qui ça?'
Stephane Leroux was like "Je ne sais pas..."

Fire Brunet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 05:46 PM
goalchenyuk

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 05:48 PM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100th View Post
I always thought that looked more like a deer...

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 05:50 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Habber View Post
There is no doubt in my mind that the Habs made the right choice and the only people who preferred Esposito would prefer to have a crappy team that is mostly or completely French rather than a strong contender. And I'm not bashing the French players, but the players like Lecavalier, Gagne Tanguay are still drafted by other teams while we get the left overs. Just imagine Latendresse instead of Price and some other guy who isn't in the league probably drafted in Lats spot.
Esposito isn't really a "French" player. He is like many from allophone families who are Bilingual or even trilingual.

Having said that, I was pro-Angelo Esposito his entire career since I becamse super-impressed when I saw him playing AA with boys older than him at age 12........until.....the last few months before the draft, when I sadly had to concur that his stock had really dropped.

I'm happy with McDonaugh and even more happy that Esposito was not available at #22 where he might have been a sentimental pick over MaxPac, though maybe I am underestimating Timmins here.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 05:51 PM
White Spy
Spy vs Blades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Carbonneau View Post

Now half the french media want to give the guy head

White Spy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 05:52 PM
la25ecoupe

Can someone explain how "draft" is working? I never figured.. :S

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 05:55 PM
White Spy
Spy vs Blades

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanylapep View Post
Can someone explain how "draft" is working? I never figured.. :S

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...2224317AAUbTH7

NOOB

White Spy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 05:58 PM
Kriss E

Quote:

The RDS draft coverage is beyond pathetic.
Most people on this board seem more knowledgeable towards the draft picks than these so-called analysts.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 06:00 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
Esposito isn't really a "French" player. He is like many from allophone families who are Bilingual or even trilingual.

Having said that, I was pro-Angelo Esposito his entire career since I becamse super-impressed when I saw him playing AA with boys older than him at age 12........until.....the last few months before the draft, when I sadly had to concur that his stock had really dropped.

I'm happy with McDonaugh and even more happy that Esposito was not available at #22 where he might have been a sentimental pick over MaxPac, though maybe I am underestimating Timmins here.
Well, it is still to be seen which of the two will have a better career. Way too early to tell.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 06:08 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Most people on this board seem more knowledgeable towards the draft picks than these so-called analysts.
I'm curious. On TSN, McGuire does a lot of lead work, as does McKenzie, but to be accurate, I'm sure Leroux sees more junior games that the 2 TSN guys combined, and I'm a fan of both of them. I think McGuire studies, collates info that he gets from the scouting community, listens to GM's etc.

It seems that Pedneault's there because he's a hockey name and Leroux knows the Q. I guess he travels in smaller circles, but he has access to the same info that the others do. It's just a matter of homework.

I haven't seen a junior game live in a long time but I'd heard of Max Pac, at least vaguely.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 06:28 PM
dcyhabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
I've been warned before for my anti-Quebec sovereignty opinions before
I'm totally assimilated but non-sovereignist. Non-sovereignists are quebecers too. Economics over emotion (and, at times, fantasy).

dcyhabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 06:56 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
heck, they even bring Demers on the draft show...

"wow c un gros bonhomme ça"
"c bien c un p'tit quebecois"
"ca va faire toute un joueur de hockey s'te bonhomme la d'la beauce"

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 10:29 PM
kastaure

Send a message via MSN to kastaure Send a message via Yahoo to kastaure
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
Quebec hockey has dropped dramatically in terms of producing great superstars and thats something someone else could explain better. However, the only Quebec born player (though I guess he is dual citizen) in the last few years I really wanted on the Habs is Paul Stastny, and we missed him by one pick (Gui was the next best choice).
I dont know for you but I guess Quebec Hockey would include a certain Sydney Crosby... Maybe he isn't born in Quebec but Nova Scotia is par of the Quebec Junior Hockey.

kastaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 10:44 PM
CrisisInMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I'm curious. On TSN, McGuire does a lot of lead work, as does McKenzie, but to be accurate, I'm sure Leroux sees more junior games that the 2 TSN guys combined, and I'm a fan of both of them. I think McGuire studies, collates info that he gets from the scouting community, listens to GM's etc.

It seems that Pedneault's there because he's a hockey name and Leroux knows the Q. I guess he travels in smaller circles, but he has access to the same info that the others do. It's just a matter of homework.

I haven't seen a junior game live in a long time but I'd heard of Max Pac, at least vaguely.
Leroux is the big guy with the scruffy beard, right? If so I can tell you that he came to a Bulls game one night last season to do a piece on John Tavares. I surprised him by talking to him about RDS, in french. I felt like a big deal. Anyways, the point is that he does seem to get out to a lot of Junior games.

CrisisInMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 10:46 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

Back in 2006 I wanted us to take Sanguinetti. I still think he was the best pick available for us, since we already have plenty of wingers.

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 01:33 AM
Haddock

RDS' draft coverage was awful last year but I think they did a good job this summer. I was at my parents' camp and since they don't have TSN, I had to watch the draft on RDS and I wasn't annoyed at all. As far as the original post, Esposito was already drafted when the Habs picked Max Pac, so I don't see your point. Esposito is still a pretty good prospect who would have helped this organization somewhere down the line.

Haddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 05:32 AM
Schooner Guy

Quote:

I can't imagine anyone going to their place of employment, being so unprepared, and then collecting a paycheque. Even worse when you consider that these clowns had thousands of viewers watching them.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 05:57 AM
kostitsyn1489

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
I can't imagine anyone going to their place of employment, being so unprepared, and then collecting a paycheque. Even worse when you consider that these clowns had thousands of viewers watching them.
Yeah exactly. I try to catch as many Junior games as i can and i should be able to catch some more this season to at the end fo the season being able to post a decent ranking by what i saw, heard and read on them. You can agree or disagree on the ranks and all, but ive still seen most of the guys play. While them, that are paid to do the job, that has contact in hockey worlds and that doesnt have another job from 630 to 330 that is completel disconected from real world with no access to a computer or TV and they have no idea who most players are. I listened a little bit of CKAC coverage in my car, like 10 minutes and it was awul. I love Martin McGuire, but he felt so much out of place it was crazy. From Boedker to Beach i think he ****ed all their names.

Thats what i dont like... They are allowed to make comments on people they never seen play(aka David Fischer) and people still beleive them. Where did they get their information from? Hockeydb? I doubt it's much of a good source to see players developement.

Anyway that sucks, they are paid and cant even do their jobs right. CKAC has no WJC and mem cp coverage at all except when Patrick Roy is their and makes a comments on the opposite team goalie.

kostitsyn1489 is offline   Reply With Quote