Flames Trim Roster

A group of 17 gets a head start for Quad Cities, where camp begins Tuesday:
http://communities.canada.com/calgar...im-roster.aspx

Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 12:11 AM
scoringmachine

vCash: 500
I am not suprised at the players who were sent back to quad city. Even before camp most of the players were not mentioned as having a good shot a making the team.

Another player that should be on Quad City is Mikael Backlund. I believe he played in the first game against the Coyotes. During that game I noticed he was nervous playing for the Flames. That is normal for any young player and first time at an NHL camp. He had a solid game but had some poor decision making when it comes to shooting the puck. He had some good quality scoring chances which he could have scored if he had not held on to the puck too long. I believe time in Quad City he can learn from his peers on how to improve his game and learn the style of hockey that North Americans play. It is fine if he wants to go back to Sweden and play. If he were to play in Quad City I believe he will have a good shot at making the Flames next season as he will understand the North American style of hockey better.

scoringmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 12:53 AM
flamesfan12

Send a message via AIM to flamesfan12 Send a message via MSN to flamesfan12 Send a message via Yahoo to flamesfan12
Maybe the one surprise for me is Van der Gulik. Been with the organization for awhile and thought he may get a longer look. Thought he looked fine in the one game as well.

Interesting that Armstrong gets a bit longer of a look. Definetly been impressed with him both in the Camrose tournament and the preseason games.

flamesfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 01:17 AM
PIMking

Also baby Sutter!!! I have said it over and over agian I think the kid has what it takes in a year or two.

I have also said that Backlund needs to come to the QC I hope that Sutter can talk him into coming to the QC.

PIMking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 12:19 PM
Hyde

Backlund will spend all preseason (and maybe Maher and Kerr were saying) the first seven games of the season with Calgary, before going home. The Flames are going to give him as much time as they can by the sounds of it.

Sorry PIMking.

Old
09-27-2008, 01:11 PM
PIMking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
Backlund will spend all preseason (and maybe Maher and Kerr were saying) the first seven games of the season with Calgary, before going home. The Flames are going to give him as much time as they can by the sounds of it.

Sorry PIMking.
It really dont bother me Im not a big fan of euro's anyway. I jus think the kid needs some na hockey under his belt. He would probably be the 1st or 2nd call up.

PIMking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 03:37 PM
Hyde

The Flames might love John Negrin as much as they say they do, but two facts remain — the kid is 19 and the big club is already brimming with defencemen.

It's no surprise then that Negrin today has been shipped back to his junior club, the Kootenay Ice. The last surviving junior-aged player at Flames camp, Negrin impressed, especially in the early portions, but his inexperience was evident during the pre-season games with and against the big boys.

http://communities.canada.com/calgar...-rejoices.aspx

Old
09-27-2008, 08:06 PM
flamesfan12

Send a message via AIM to flamesfan12 Send a message via MSN to flamesfan12 Send a message via Yahoo to flamesfan12
Negrin will be a very good defenceman for the flames one day, but in the preseason games he looked like a 19 year old. Hopefully he plays well down and Kootenay and can force his way on to the WJC team in December.

flamesfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 08:09 PM
Hyperkookeez*

no surprises except van der gulik

Hyperkookeez* is offline   Reply With Quote