HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chipchura

Closed Thread

Old
09-27-2008, 09:41 PM
Iwishihadacup

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
I dunno why I think this, but IMO Kostopoulos could be the one moved.

For a few reasons:

- He played a solid role for us last year, so his value could be decent for a 4th liner.

- The arrival of Laraque makes him not nearly as needed from a physical/toughness standpoint.

- It's hard to imagine Laraque not playing at least 50 games and they both are mainly RW's.

- It would be a typical ''out of nowhere'' surprising move from Gainey.
i would prefer to see dandenault gone more than Tom kostopoulos

Old
09-27-2008, 09:51 PM
jcpenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparepart View Post
Yeah, but it still does not solve the numbers problem on the team. Roster limit is 23... Chipchura is #24

Who do the habs move to make room for him? unless you assume the habs will always have a player on the injured-list (which would give Kyle a spot).

46-14-27
13-11-21
84-20-74
6-40-32
25-22

79-8
44-3
51-26

= 23 players
Good math my friend but one problem; 25-6-40 and 22 all offer the the same thing. Chipchura offers something different that they dont have. Smarts and sound defensive play.

Old
09-27-2008, 10:00 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpenny View Post
Good math my friend but one problem; 25-6-40 and 22 all offer the the same thing. Chipchura offers something different that they dont have. Smarts and sound defensive play.
I expect the 4th line to be a crash and bang line. Not a defensive line.

Old
09-27-2008, 10:05 PM
buddahsmoka1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
IMO Kostopoulos could be the one moved. Hear me out...

For a few reasons:

- He played a solid role for us last year, so his value could be decent for a 4th liner.

- The arrival of Laraque makes him not nearly as needed from a physical/toughness standpoint.

- It's hard to imagine Laraque not playing at least 50 games and they both are mainly RW's.

- It would be a typical ''out of nowhere'' surprising move from Gainey. Also, Gainey may feel bad that a player who signed here as a UFA may not get as much ice time this year and could find a better situation playing time wise for him.
While your points are logical, I would move Begin before TK anyday. They are both similar players but one is smarter and has more offensive upside. The only fourth players I see being moved are Dandenault, Lapierre or Begin.

Old
09-27-2008, 10:28 PM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpreeEndaz View Post
I heard that Kyle Chipchura was the captain of the Prince Albert Raiders, is that true ?
Captain of the Prince Albert Raiders
Captain of team Canada Under 18 Gold Medal team

He's a leader and will be on this team, if not at the beginning of the year, then later on.

You win with kids like this...

Old
09-27-2008, 10:29 PM
Sparepart

vCash: 1076
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpenny View Post
Well thats not completely true. #25 ... err Dandenault gives Carbo the option and utility of having a dual forward/d-man. In Carbo's mind he might think Dandenault is more valuable to have around then Chipchura is. Plus of course Dandneault is a 3 time cup winner, that also might be worth something in Carbo's mind (experience factor).

Old
09-27-2008, 10:32 PM
shealy04

Chipchura needs to break camp on the big squad this year... he's the type of player that helps teams win championships.

I do not see the point of sticking with a Begin, or TKO, or Dandenault when a younger player (who is also a born leader) can do just as good of a job in a checking role. (For the record, I love Begin and TKO)

Give him a chance to make this team and the move will pay off in a massive way.

Old
09-27-2008, 10:35 PM
sbtatter

Some ppl on this board are very quick to jump all over players (such as Chipchura) before the player has a chance to really prove himself. Come on people, players who have been succesful leaders and players in junior deserve a little time....as do the scouts/coaches who picked and signed them...

Old
09-27-2008, 11:08 PM
le_sean

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
i would prefer to see dandenault gone more than Tom kostopoulos
Begin too. He's bound to get injured again and I don't think it's long until he retires because of these constant ailments.

Old
09-27-2008, 11:18 PM
Le depisteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyhabsfan View Post
Captain of the Prince Albert Raiders
Captain of team Canada Under 18 Gold Medal team

He's a leader and will be on this team, if not at the beginning of the year, then later on.

You win with kids like this...
U20 team, not U18... It's even better, in fact!

Old
09-28-2008, 12:09 AM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Chipchura scored a lucky goal. He is God.

Old
09-28-2008, 12:11 AM
HotPie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Chipchura scored a lucky goal. He is God.
Right, because that goal is the reason people are happy about Chipchura's play. Nothing else.

Old
09-28-2008, 12:21 AM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Paging Erika Kostitsyn.

Old
09-28-2008, 12:22 AM
1UP

The goal was the cherry that went at the bottom of the sundae, because it happened at the beginning of the game, and due to the fact ice cream went gushing over it all game long. Sound defensive play, good offensive pushes, good vision, creativity, few mistakes, and 70% face-off percentage (whodathunkit?)

Even Dubé said Chipchura was the best player for the Habs tonight, and really, from what I saw, I agree wholeheartedly.

Old
09-28-2008, 01:57 AM
Lone Rogue

I won't question people saying his training camp was bad. It was an overwhelming opinion and I feared it would cross over to the pre-season.

HOWEVER, Chipchura's play in Detroit and now in Ottawa has been excellent and looked more like a regular in the NHL than a guy who needs to earn his spot. The amount of puck steals, face off wins, solid defensive play and even solid offensive play he brings shows a man determined to bring this team to a Cup.

The fourth line is not a grind line.
The fourth line is not a shutdown line.

It is a combination of both with Chipchura in the center.

Old
09-28-2008, 06:10 AM
kostitsyn1489

To defend peoples that says he has an average training camp, i was in pierrefonds ans he really was average at best, but i think many also said that he wasnt the kind of guy effective in drills/scrimmage, but is way more effective when the puck drops in real game and thats pretty much what he shows. I didnt see last night game tho, but i do hope he plays tonight. I always been higher oin this guy then most.

Old
09-28-2008, 06:25 AM
Blades 0f Steel

The fickleness of this mob reaches a fever pitch.

Last December: Chipchura was called, by many, our future 2nd line center. It was believed, by and large, that he would take over 3rd line center duties after Smolinski left.

Last January: Chipchura may not be as good as we once thought. He's been inconsistent, and for a rookie, that is unheard of. This was most worrisome.

This past summer: He didn't get recalled after being sent down. Things are quiet...too quiet.

Training camp: Just plain lousy. Well that settles it! We've seen enough. It's pretty clear after 2 scrimmages he doesn't have what it takes to be an NHL player.

Last edited by Blades 0f Steel: 09-28-2008 at 06:34 AM.
Old
09-28-2008, 07:03 AM
Sthabs

Obviously the next step will be, I told you he was that good !
Still waiting for that part...shouldnt be too long now...

Old
09-28-2008, 08:39 AM
Pascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades 0f Steel View Post
The fickleness of this mob reaches a fever pitch.

Last December: Chipchura was called, by many, our future 2nd line center. It was believed, by and large, that he would take over 3rd line center duties after Smolinski left.

Last January: Chipchura may not be as good as we once thought. He's been inconsistent, and for a rookie, that is unheard of. This was most worrisome.

This past summer: He didn't get recalled after being sent down. Things are quiet...too quiet.

Training camp: Just plain lousy. Well that settles it! We've seen enough. It's pretty clear after 2 scrimmages he doesn't have what it takes to be an NHL player.
doesn't that go for almost any rookie with the Habs? At first Lats was the next coming of Jesus, then he's just ok, then he's horrible and should be in the AHL.

Even Markov had his share of detractors at first..

Old
09-28-2008, 08:52 AM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sthabs View Post
Obviously the next step will be, I told you he was that good !
Still waiting for that part...shouldnt be too long now...
I did though If Lats and Chips become staple Hab players in the next few years, I get full bragging rights, just as Nate gets bragging rights if Halak wins a starting role (somewhere).

As for what Pascal said, I'll admit to not being impressed with Komisarek in his first 67 games as a Hab. I didn't think of anything about the guy. Glad I was wrong on that one.

Old
09-28-2008, 09:02 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
doesn't that go for almost any rookie with the Habs? At first Lats was the next coming of Jesus, then he's just ok, then he's horrible and should be in the AHL.

Even Markov had his share of detractors at first..
Hab fans were always somewhat divided over Latendresse, and Markov just came out of nowhere.

The fickleness over Chips from one game to the next is epic.

Old
09-28-2008, 09:09 AM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades 0f Steel View Post
The fickleness over Chips from one game to the next is epic.
The overall opinion on Chipchura is spoiled by one Erika who was proclaiming Chipchura next to useless and vastly overrated, as if she was worried he may one day take Sergei Kostitsyn's non existant center spot.

However, a lot of people heard the camp reports and felt that maybe he just lost his confidence. It's clear he proved otherwise.

Old
09-28-2008, 09:21 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
The overall opinion on Chipchura is spoiled by one Erika who was proclaiming Chipchura next to useless and vastly overrated, as if she was worried he may one day take Sergei Kostitsyn's non existant center spot.

However, a lot of people heard the camp reports and felt that maybe he just lost his confidence. It's clear he proved otherwise.
After the 2nd scrimmage and 1st preseason game, many people on here had little hope for Chips becoming anything more than a 4th liner. Very few had any faith he would be able to crack the roster to open the season.

This was 2 weeks after just about everyone had Chips penciled in on the 4th line.

Old
09-28-2008, 09:28 AM
Boulette Cannon

You win cups with guys like Chipchura.

Old
09-28-2008, 09:54 AM
mcphee

I put no stock in how Chipchura performs in drills. He's never going to impress on phantom 3 on 2 drills or races.

Look at what a guy like Lapierre is. He can be a passable 4th line C, he can disturb a bit, he can get better but he can't move the puck well to wingers. Playing on the wing makes sense, but he'd be taking Begin's job and while Begin isn't flavour of the month, he has a job.

Chipchura has better instincts than Lapierre but he doesn't have his wheels. If your 4th line's job is create havoc, Lapierre may have an advantage, but we haven't seen Chipchura in this role enough to be sure. What we haven't seen is Chipchura playing with wingers who have some offensive jump. Until we see if he can be effective with a Higgins, S.Kost. or whoever, we don't have enough info.

Maybe the coaching staff does, but we don't. I guess we'll see if they consider him important enough to make a move to accomadate him. I like him and I hope things work out.

Closed Thread