HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jagr Calling Renney to Check on Dubi and the Team?

Old
09-26-2008, 03:12 PM
zestystrat

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
Perhaps Jagr wasn't as selfish as so many make him out to be and really did care about the team.
Love the guy and his time here but...meh, this is an old argument. But just to go the other way (and not spend the next few hours defending my flame inducing post)....

I remember a comment from Jags ala respect = $$. He could have stayed had he been a little cheaper to come by.

There are other points previously mentioned in other posts but

Despite the old arguments, it's nice to see him do that. I hope he does well on his new team and under the right frame of mind (and cost) who knows, maybe he'll wear a NYR sweater again.

zestystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 03:37 PM
bcrt2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by zestystrat View Post
I remember a comment from Jags ala respect = $$. He could have stayed had he been a little cheaper to come by.
He was being a realist. Look what happened to Nedved. He played better than Gomez, Drury, Zherdev and Naslund but who got the boot? The guy who didn't get paid a nickel.

And with the money they gave Naslund + the couple mill that are remaining under the cap + the cap increasing next year, there was PLENTY of room for Jags (who had 1.5 PPG in the playoffs, more than Crosby, Ovechkin, Hossa, and anyone else) if the Rangers really wanted him.

bcrt2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 04:13 PM
Rust Heisenberg

umm its pretty safe to say that jagr not coming was sather's decision. it was jagr wanting 5.5 mill (atleast) for 2 years. Sather was giving him 4 mill + incentives for 1 year.

btw radulov left the nhl to the khl while still under contract...

what does that say?

while id love to see jagr just skip out on a year of his contract to be a part of the playoffs for us it wouldnt feel right.

plus omsk still has our very talented future prospect (cherpanov). lol 10 years 75 mill sound lucrative to stay with them? id think so. money talks and that amount of money would secure probably any young player. not only that but theyd probably offer 10 years 100+ mill to Zherdev who could also leave the NHL to that agreement.

the rangers lost out on jagr, he is not going to come for us just for the playoffs. while i also wish it could happen, there is a -1243109312% of that happening.

Rust Heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 04:15 PM
MxH0CKEY

Quote:
Perhaps Jagr wasn't as selfish as so many make him out to be and really did care about the team.
Unlike Radulov, I give respect to Jagr

MxH0CKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 04:17 PM
bcrt2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjets36 View Post
umm its pretty safe to say that jagr not coming was sather's decision. it was jagr wanting 5.5 mill (atleast) for 2 years. Sather was giving him 4 mill + incentives for 1 year.
Pretty sure Slats/Jagr have said that they never even negotiated a number for a multi-year deal. Slats offered that 1 year deal straight up and Jagr asked for a 2 or 3 year deal and thats as far as things went.

Old
09-26-2008, 04:40 PM
nyrmetros

Quote:
I never said he didn't care. In the series vs Pitt I thought he was the player that cared MOST about the team. Just a shame he's not back with us this year.

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 04:43 PM
bcrt2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmetros View Post
I never said he didn't care. In the series vs Pitt I thought he was the player that cared MOST about the team. Just a shame he's not back with us this year.
Bringing up the memories of that series is a positive though. He went out like a warrior and played two of the best games he ever played as a Ranger in MSG.

Old
09-26-2008, 04:46 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Hockey View Post
Unlike Radulov, I give respect to Jagr
+1 on that thought.

What is the situation with him anyway? Did the arbitration hearing happen yet?

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 05:13 PM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Maybe I noticed it mostly b/c I was sitting in the goal end at Prudential, but on more than one occasion I was saying to myself, 'Who does Dubinski think he is, Jagr?'. Dubinski was doing a lot of puck holding particularly on the wing and behind the goal.

I am not reading in to it if it's a good thing or bad - just that I was thinking he was copying his mentor.

abev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 06:21 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Heh, thats cool.

Guess he really likes Dubinsky and see's a huge amount of potential in him (we already knew Jagr was high on Dubi though).

Jagr will be back with us come playoff time

:sarcasm
:

Dont think thats not impossible!

09-26-2008, 07:04 PM
teddygmr

I'm pretty sure that if Jagr plays a league game outside the NHL AFTER the first game of this NHL season, he cannot come back to any NHL team without clearing waivers.
However, if he were to tire of eating Borscht and carrying his own equipment around, he could sign as a ufa with any NHL team in the next week or so. Huge longshot but it sure would be interesting....several NHL teams were saving cap room for Sundin....hmmmm?

Last edited by teddygmr: 09-26-2008 at 07:15 PM.
teddygmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 07:16 PM
68Forever

THis is y i love Jagr

68Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 08:58 PM
The Thomas J.*

Good Job by Jagr.

I was just thinking, If OMSK loans him to us & they still pay him there are no cap implications, just a basic roster move.

If that is true Sather IS a genius!

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 10:20 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Good stuff. Jagr is a class act. No doubt he'll be keeping up with the team online from Omsk this season.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 07:27 AM
Vatchern

Good to see Jagr caring. If Jagr can teach cherry enough over there, and teach cherry how to play with dubi, they would be a deadly combo line.

Vatchern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 07:29 AM
SChan*

Quote:
yeah that's why he went to KHL for money...who are you kidding.

SChan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 08:13 AM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJCfan View Post
yeah that's why he went to KHL for money...who are you kidding.
He didn't go to the KHL for money. He was offered far more to play in Edmonton. He was willing to stay in NY for essentially what we paid him last year (minus what the Caps paid) but wanted the security of a 2 year contract. Sather wouldn't give it to him. So he went to Omsk, a team and city he already knew and enjoyed playing for. It wasn't about money.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 08:21 AM
SChan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
He didn't go to the KHL for money. He was offered far more to play in Edmonton. He was willing to stay in NY for essentially what we paid him last year (minus what the Caps paid) but wanted the security of a 2 year contract. Sather wouldn't give it to him. So he went to Omsk, a team and city he already knew and enjoyed playing for. It wasn't about money.
he went to russia of all places, i dont understand why he wouldnt go to czech rep if he was going to leave NHL anyway

SChan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 08:31 AM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJCfan View Post
he went to russia of all places, i dont understand why he wouldnt go to czech rep if he was going to leave NHL anyway
Because the quality of play is higher, and he'd promised the fans after the lockout that he would return one day.

He's promised his dad he'll finish his career in the Czech Republic... he's not ready to finish his career yet.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 09:19 AM
Nich

jagr wanted a 3 year deal, slats only wanted to offer one. that was the main sticking point

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 11:06 AM
BlueShirtsFan86

Jagr also was talking about going back to Omsk since he got here wasn't he? It was said that he was good friends with a Mayor or Owner or something to that regard. He talked about how he liked to play there, so really it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that he went there. He seems to have his loyalties to two teams, the Rangers and Omsk and that's probably because he felt the most respected overall by them. Atleast that is what I understand from reading articles about him over the years while he was with us.

So no, it was about money, just look at his interviews and articles over the past couple of years.

BlueShirtsFan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 11:09 AM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueShirtsFan86 View Post
Jagr also was talking about going back to Omsk since he got here wasn't he? It was said that he was good friends with a Mayor or Owner or something to that regard. He talked about how he liked to play there, so really it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that he went there. He seems to have his loyalties to two teams, the Rangers and Omsk and that's probably because he felt the most respected overall by them. Atleast that is what I understand from reading articles about him over the years while he was with us.

So no, it was about money, just look at his interviews and articles over the past couple of years.
He also promised the team that he would return to them.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 11:21 AM
TUQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
jagr wanted a 3 year deal, slats only wanted to offer one. that was the main sticking point
He wanted 2 year deal.

Only now will Rangers (as players and as a team) realize how hard is to play against opponent's top lines (defenders especially) when you don't have the man who was constantly drawing their attention (i.e. Jagr) on your team.

TUQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 11:45 AM
AK

Just more proof that Jagr is not selfish, and is really a classy guy, who just so happens to be one of the best players ever to play the game.

AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 01:05 PM
The Thomas J.*

It's going to be intresting to see how things pan out with Jagr the next couple of years.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote