HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Preseason: 9/27/08 Montreal @ Ottawa 7:00PM EDT CKAC, CJAD, TSN2

Closed Thread

Old
09-28-2008, 10:49 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
He skates better. Leclair's nick upon entering the league was marmaduke. He was also older that Maxpac.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24Cups View Post
Pacioretty skates and looks like a young John Leclair

Old
09-28-2008, 10:50 AM
Loose Sens
Drafting my Overalls

I didn't know where to put this.... but is Tanguay going to get top line minutes for the regular season?

Old
09-28-2008, 10:56 AM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Projected View Post
I didn't know where to put this.... but is Tanguay going to get top line minutes for the regular season?
Tanguay is likely to start on the "second line" with Saku Koivu and either Chris Higgins, Guillaume Latendresse, or Sergei Kostitsyn. (the other two playing on the "third line" with Robert Lang)

We're keeping our top line of Andrei Kostitsyn, Tomas Plekanec, and Alex Kovalev together for now.

Old
09-28-2008, 10:57 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by #11 Saku Koivu View Post
We're keeping our top line of Andrei Kostitsyn, Tomas Plekanec, and Alex Kovalev together for now.
It's smart.

They've got great chemistry and Pleks keeps Kovalev honest.

Old
09-28-2008, 10:58 AM
Loose Sens
Drafting my Overalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by #11 Saku Koivu View Post
Tanguay is likely to start on the "second line" with Saku Koivu and either Chris Higgins, Guillaume Latendresse, or Sergei Kostitsyn. (the other two playing on the "third line" with Robert Lang)
Has Tanguay looked good (chemistry wise) with Koivu or anyone yet?

Old
09-28-2008, 10:58 AM
GoneAway

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
It's smart.

They've got great chemistry and Pleks keeps Kovalev honest.
Troll

Old
09-28-2008, 10:59 AM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
Preseason doesn't matter AT ALL. I hate posts like this, I see them all over HFboards, I don't care if the Bulldogs B team beats the Redwings A team it doesn't matter.
I has to be taken in to consideration. If our A team gets beat by other teams B teams regularly it means something.
I also think it's important to come out of preseason with the team's confidence being high.

Old
09-28-2008, 11:00 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Has Tanguay looked good (chemistry wise) with Koivu or anyone yet?
Koivu has yet to play if I'm not mistaken. Foot injury.

Old
09-28-2008, 11:00 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Chezz View Post
Troll
OMG!! Habs are teh suckzorzz!!!!!!111111

Old
09-28-2008, 11:02 AM
Loose Sens
Drafting my Overalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
Alright, I have Koivu and Tanguay together with Hamrlik in a hockey pool, I'm hoping something works out for them. (Hopefully Halak can get some games too.)

Old
09-28-2008, 11:04 AM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
This is correct.

And Tanguay has been limited to 2 games, nursing a minor injury as well. In those 2 games, he played with Ben Maxwell and Max Pacioretty, so tough to tell as far as chemistry goes. He has been tried at the point on the PP a bit.

Old
09-28-2008, 11:57 AM
mcphee

I was telling someone last week that Pac reminded me a bit of Mike McPhee, one of old favorites. Maybe he'll be more of an offesnive threat but a similar player. McGuire made the same comparison so I'm feeling very smart right now.

I disagree with some comments I've read here. I wasa bit dispointed in Valentenko, he seems to have the ability, but he's farther away that I expected.

Lang looked like what he is, a veteran player without that much in the tank, who still has his hands and smarts. He's insurance at C and can play a situational role, hopefully.

I expected White to be more out of place, but I thought he showed some stuff. I'd like to see him play a game with NHL'ers and see how he played at that pace.

Belle looked like he could play if required, I hope it doesn't copme to that, but there are worse players in the league.

Lats seems to play a bit angrier. He gets chirped at a lot it seems and I get the impression he's sick of it and is developing an edge. Good. I wasn't wowoed by his game, but he isn't going to lead a line so....

The Lats,Pacs', Lang's and S.Kost's who were probably expected to provide some offense last night seemed out of sync, but there hasn't been much of a chance to come together, due to injury. Ottawa had a full lineup in and I'm sure wanted to show better than Friday night.

Desjardins looked good.

I think that some guys, like Russel, young Lats, might have had their 'let's give the kid a game' chances last night.

Old
09-28-2008, 12:02 PM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
Lang looked like what he is, a veteran player without that much in the tank, who still has his hands and smarts. He's insurance at C and can play a situational role, hopefully.
From everything I hear, how Lang has played isn't much different to how he has always played. He's not the greatest skater, hes not a tough guy, he goes out of position a lot, he is adaquate on defence and his shot never really makes the net.

That doesn't sound like a very good player until you bring up the fact he is also an extremely slick passer, excellent on faceoffs and can gel with just about anyone.

I have a feeling most of the time we'll be saying, "Lang made a lot of mistakes but his pass to _______ was perfect for a goal" this season.

Old
09-28-2008, 12:18 PM
Roke

Quote:
Originally Posted by bipolarhabfan View Post
The apocalypse is near!!!

I remember a few years ago in the early 2000s when the Habs finished 7-1 in the pre-season. I was thinking about June right there. They missed the playoffs. To me, the only game of importance in the pre-season is the last one where your A team usually suits up. It is important to get into good habits and gel with your team mates before starting the season.
and Mariusz Czerkawski was our leading scorer in the pre-season, if I remember correctly.

Old
09-28-2008, 12:32 PM
shamrun

Quote:
Alright, I have Koivu and Tanguay together with Hamrlik in a hockey pool, I'm hoping something works out for them. (Hopefully Halak can get some games too.)

im not too sure about your point system but hamerlik wont be ripping the league scoring wise..pick up letang for the beginning or somthing like that

Old
09-28-2008, 12:36 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
I was telling someone last week that Pac reminded me a bit of Mike McPhee, one of old favorites. Maybe he'll be more of an offesnive threat but a similar player. McGuire made the same comparison so I'm feeling very smart right now.
The comparison to Mike McPhee isn't a bad one at all. I'm also hoping that he's a bit more of an offensive threat, but he's physical and sound defensively, qualities that he shares with McPhee. Now he needs to grow a mustache!

I also share the opinion that Belle looks better out there than Valentenko, who I find is not having a good camp. I'm very impressed with Subban though, but I'd let him finish his junior career.

Old
09-28-2008, 01:42 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
From everything I hear, how Lang has played isn't much different to how he has always played. He's not the greatest skater, hes not a tough guy, he goes out of position a lot, he is adaquate on defence and his shot never really makes the net.

That doesn't sound like a very good player until you bring up the fact he is also an extremely slick passer, excellent on faceoffs and can gel with just about anyone.

I have a feeling most of the time we'll be saying, "Lang made a lot of mistakes but his pass to _______ was perfect for a goal" this season.
Lang is an offensive player, no mistake there. I mean, he wasn't brought to be a checking line center. But it's why I thought the idea of putting Higgins on his line would be bright.

Old
09-28-2008, 02:56 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 1651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades 0f Steel View Post

Any particular reason one of our top D prospects shouldn't get valuable experience in another meaningless game? Any reason why a junior player like Subban should see more games over a guy with AHL experience?

I'm starting to see an urgency from the majority of the board to see a full NHL lineup in the rest of the preseason games. It's a far cry from the mantras a week ago:
-we don't want our veterans getting injured in a meaningless game
-we want to be able to see our prospects playing against NHL talent, especially ones that are high on the call-up list
Valentenko has showed nothing in the pre-season.
All he has showed me is he is not ready to make the jump into the show.
He has alot of work to do before he is called up to the big leagues.

Im not crying for a full NHL lineup, not yet at least cuz we still have 4 games to go.
However i hope everyone is healthy enough so that we can get 2 games in with the real team.

Old
09-28-2008, 04:43 PM
Namso

preseason does NOT matter. Vets arent really playing to full potential, chemistry is not there yet, etc.

Preseason is for the prospects to prove there stuff. COmparing scores and stuff is useless.

Old
09-28-2008, 05:07 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
I liked McPhee (you and the player...) I really do, as a matter of fact, one of my best lines ever were McPhee-Skrudland-Lemieux 'cause they were banging and inside, you just knew that the opponent would never score when they were on the ice. So again, I loved that line. But if MaxPac becomes a McPhee, I and tons of others will be really dissapointed. 'Cause we're going from a Tkachuk, Leclair or Cole to a McPhee......talk about a drop as far as the offensive expectations are concerned. But again, it might be our problem, our expectations could be too high based on his really young career that could be overrated due to the fact that he played with the best NCAA player last year and another guy who both ended up in the AHL series last year and already did great. As a matter of fact, while Kolarik as been demoted, Porter is still at the Phoenix camp.

But then once the dissapointment is gone about our expectations, if he doesn't fulfill the offensives we think he could provide, and he ends up playing on a 3rd line with guys like Chipchura and Stewart and becomes one of the most tough defensive line that the Habs have known in a long time, if the offensives are provided by somebody else, we will obviously definately like him.

As far as White, I was pleasantly surprised to see him on some plays last night. But don't tell anyone I said that.

I definately agree on Valentenko to say the least. That's where the injury to Carle is more unfortunate than we thought. 'Cause at one point, a recall was between him and Valentenko and we were so sure that Pavel was already ready, that we didn't care so much.....now, we wished we would've seen Carle a little more...

I happen to disagree on Belle. He wasn't available when hockey sense passed by. The kid is fine when he has to battle with somebody, has some grit to his game and so on...but when it comes to making plays while being rushed, just forget it...he can't.

Last edited by Whitesnake: 09-28-2008 at 05:12 PM.
Closed Thread