HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

** Pre-season G6 - 09/27/08 | 1:00 PM | MSG(HD) - NJ Devils @ NY Rangers **

Old
09-28-2008, 07:53 AM
qwertyaas
LGR@

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
OOOHHHHH how suprising it is to see that the same fans who wanted JJ, Straka, Nyls and co gone now are complaining on a team with almost 2 new full lines aren't playing well early in the season.

Maybe this is what we where talking about when people said that JJ should have been kept because we needed continuity in NY. Nooo... Some guys around here definitly deserves what they are getting right now.
I think the biggest problem with JJ (don't get me wrong, I loved having him on the Rangers), was that he, in a sense, split the team into two. Those willing to play JJ hockey, and those playing the "new" Rangers hockey. That led to our amazing PP last year which consisted of 1:57 of catch between Rozi and Jagr, and either a wide, fanned, or blocked shot. Everyone felt the need to defer the puck to Jagr, but it seemed like he just didn't want it anymore (until the end of last season and the PO's, where he was, for the lack of a better word, a BEAST ).

Straka was great defensively but he just lost his offensive touch. Still a great player. Nylander just wanted a contract that wasn't worth it, especially when this team was headed in a new direction.

qwertyaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 08:12 AM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimEIV View Post
As a Devils Fan: I'm not going to lie to anyone, I love Gomez. I think he is a fantastic player and way under rated. But I think what is perfectly clear is he is not able to lead an offense.
I agree and am ok with that. Gomez' job, to me, is get the puck deep.
---

My pov for yesterday's game was every player had the Europe trip on their mind. Running around getting stuff in order I think the last thing on their mind was a meaningless Saturday afternoon game.

abev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 08:25 AM
Blueshirt Fanatic*

Quote:
I haven't read the thread but in regards to the lineup...Drury and Gomez have no chemistry and there is no reason to try to force it IMO when we have players who have chemistry.
I actually disagree, If you watched the game, Drury had 10x more opportunities than he did on the other line he was on. He had at least 5 or 6 shots. People are taking the preseason a bit seriously.

Blueshirt Fanatic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 08:36 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyaas View Post
I think the biggest problem with JJ (don't get me wrong, I loved having him on the Rangers), was that he, in a sense, split the team into two. Those willing to play JJ hockey, and those playing the "new" Rangers hockey. That led to our amazing PP last year which consisted of 1:57 of catch between Rozi and Jagr, and either a wide, fanned, or blocked shot. Everyone felt the need to defer the puck to Jagr, but it seemed like he just didn't want it anymore (until the end of last season and the PO's, where he was, for the lack of a better word, a BEAST ).

Straka was great defensively but he just lost his offensive touch. Still a great player. Nylander just wanted a contract that wasn't worth it, especially when this team was headed in a new direction.
Truth to be told, JJ wasn't even on our top PP unit last season for the majority of games. Our top unit was all shot first and built around Gomez and Shanny. And we have never had a worse pp as long as I've followed the team...

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 08:36 AM
Celestial Black

Crappy pre-season game, but hey it's just a pre-season game...some of you have to have more faith in the Rangers. We will work things out when the time comes.

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 08:39 AM
RANGERDIEHARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by HanktasticVoyage35 View Post
The team has outworked and outshot every team in the preseason so far until today. The goals will come, this team is too talented not to find chemistry and a scoring touch.
Yeah I said the same thing to myself last year.

RANGERDIEHARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 09:29 AM
Garv23

Cmon, all these guys were thinkin' about was Europe. Did you really expect a dazzling hockey game?

Garv23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 09:52 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garv23 View Post
Did you really expect a dazzling hockey game?
Dazzling? No. But it is not unfair to expect more out of the team that fairly closely resembled the cast that will open the season. Forget about the fact that the team was flat. The sheer stupidity of playing 5 games in 6 nights pretty much ensured that. What bothered me was the way that they played. And the way that they played has again highlighted the various problems with the team that have been a staple of the Renney era. The wilting before a heavy forecheck, inept special teams, lack of a physical response when the team's top players are run, poor defensive play and off course my favorite, the "Hoosier" offense. Why is it necessary to have between 4-6 mandatory passes before one can shoot? Once gain, we see the pointmen decide that a pass is always better than a shot.

The Devils came out and ran the Rangers all over the ice. The way that Sutter wants them to. The Rangers came out and played the way that Renney has been instructing them to play since he became the coach. Turn the other cheek. The players are certainly gritty and not soft in and of themselves. However, under Renney, the Rangers are a pretty soft team to pay against. How long until these boards are lit up with the "Where's Avery?" posts. Like him or not, Avery brought the fight to the other team. He dragged this team, albeit kicking and screaming, into the trenches with him. Without him, the Rangers are a passive team that loves to watch themselves pass the puck.

One of Renney's biggest problems has been and continues to be his inability to adjust the gameplan. If things do not work out the way that he has drew them up on the board and if Henke is not there to bail him out, Renney is clueless about how to make an in-game adjustment. The other issue that continues to plaque him is his belief that sheer skill will overcome anything that the opposition throws at you.

Last edited by True Blue: 09-28-2008 at 10:06 AM.
True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 10:03 AM
qwertyaas
LGR@

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Truth to be told, JJ wasn't even on our top PP unit last season for the majority of games. Our top unit was all shot first and built around Gomez and Shanny. And we have never had a worse pp as long as I've followed the team...
True, but that is also because it seemed like they spent half the time trying to get set up in the zone. And honestly, that wasn't exactly the best PP unit to have as our number 1 unit. In a nutshell, the PP last year was just... horrible. I really hope this year we can get it going.

I am pretty optimistic about this team though. The goals didn't come yet in the Preseason, but they had a lot of nice shots going and it seems like the offense is starting to flow (minus the Devils game).

qwertyaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 10:07 AM
Garv23

I see what your saying TrueBlue, but I honestly expected a flat Ranger game due to the Europe trip. Was it a little frustrating because it was against the Devils? Absolutely. Their heads just weren't there. I think we'll be fine after this trip. Yeah I'm an optomist, but I like this group and I think we're definitely not push-overs. Even without the almighty Avery.

Personally, I'm glad he and his sideshow are gone.

Old
09-28-2008, 10:13 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Personally, I'm glad he and his sideshow are gone.
Not to beat a dead horse, but the team's record with him in the lineup spoke for itself. Be glad all you want, but there was a reason that the team performed so much better with him than without him.

Old
09-28-2008, 10:29 AM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Not to beat a dead horse, but the team's record with him in the lineup spoke for itself. Be glad all you want, but there was a reason that the team performed so much better with him than without him.
The team's record was also better with Malik in the lineup. Do you want to re-sign him because of that?

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 10:32 AM
Garv23

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Maybe if Avery was healthy the whole year that would've been different. According to Maloney, Strudwick's record while in the line-up was better. Listen, don't get me wrong, I loved what he brought on the ice, but this whole "Avery is God" thing drives me up a friggin wall.

Regardless, I think we're a gritty enough team and refuse to let a poor preseason get me down.

Old
09-28-2008, 12:36 PM
True Blue

Quote:
According to Maloney, Strudwick's record while in the line-up was better.
I think that you need to examine the total amount of games over the two year-span. That record bodes much more than Strudwick.
Quote:
Listen, don't get me wrong, I loved what he brought on the ice, but this whole "Avery is God" thing drives me up a friggin wall.
I do not want to rehash old arguments or hijack threads to go into that direction. No one is saying that Avery is the Allmighty. However, the record over the last two years with and without him speaks for itself. Want to ignore that? Fine. All one needed to do was examine the way that the team played in front of their own eyes, with Avery as opposed to without him. The Devils felt free to run the Rangers top players with nary a dirty look. Avery was not above bringing the fight to the opponent's top players. Without him, a very essential ingredient is missing from the team. Without him, the willingness to compete and fight for everything is diminished.

Old
09-28-2008, 10:11 PM
Lady Vengeance
FTTW

I have my pictures from the game up; also, ones from the game against the Lightning.

Lady Vengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 11:39 PM
Harrison Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suki Tawdry View Post
I have my pictures from the game up; also, ones from the game against the Lightning.
Very nice shots. I like the one of Holik and Gomez talking right before the faceoff.

Harrison Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2008, 12:13 PM
Lady Vengeance
FTTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison Ford View Post
Very nice shots. I like the one of Holik and Gomez talking right before the faceoff.
Thanks! I was really happy with that one. Makes you wonder what they were talking about. Perhaps sharing financial tips?

Lady Vengeance is offline   Reply With Quote