HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Carey Price Question

Old
09-27-2008, 07:02 PM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovalev47 View Post
Mental aspect? Hmm I wonder who cried after losing a game in the regular season.
A goalie like Carey isn't used to letting people down. He's a star. Sorry he happens to care about every game.

Beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 07:03 PM
TheCH*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
When I compared the number of starts he had with Huet in the lineup and the number of starts he had without Huet, I see that he got a hell of a lot more starts when Huet wasn't in the lineup. Explain to me why do you think this is the case so you can prove yourself wrong.
Its very simple. At the trade deadline they established Price was their number 1, he would have started playing a lot more at that time weather Huet was there or not. He had to ease into that situation over the season though, he wasn't just going to be handed the job at the beginning of the year over Huet(which is why Huet played more). The plan was always that Price was going to be given the job when they felt he was ready, which they obviously did at the deadline. I absolutely hate the trade because Huet was good insurance for us should Price falter, which he did.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 07:06 PM
la25ecoupe

Don't forget that the trade for Huet got us Tangay!

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 08:19 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Let's not forget the rumor that said Hossa and Hedberg were suppose to come here at the Deadline, but then Waddell screwed Gainey by raising the price at the last minute and decided to trade Hossa to Pittsburgh.
Not sure it's fair to say that the Waddell screwed Gainey. What he did was make - without a doubt - the best trade for his team.

That's his job.

And he didn't raise the price, per se. The only "shady" thing that Waddell did was tell Gainey, the night before deadline day that they had essentially agreed to a trade. In the morning, Waddell said there was a wrinkle. A new team had come in with a bigger offer that included Bobby Holik. Waddell, as a courtesy, let Gainey make a bid for a package that would have been Hossa/Hedberg/Holik.

I don't know if Gainey ever made a pitch for the three person package. Only Gainey and Waddell know that. I also don't know if there really was a team that made a bid for those three.

It appears, as the deadline closed in, if there was a team bidding on the three of them packaged together, they dropped out. (I'm speculating that the team that would have made such an offer was Ottawa.) But at this point, Waddell went back to Gainey and continued to discuss either just Hossa, or Hossa and Hedberg. Then, at the last minute, Ray Shero blew his brains out and Waddell had no choice but to accept that offer, and Gainey wisely chose to back away at that point.

FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 08:40 PM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanylapep View Post
Don't forget that the trade for Huet got us Tangay!
No it didn`t

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 03:24 AM
Mr. Hab

The best time to show loyalty and trust in Price capabilities are/were right after that series loss to the Flyers. and I did, still do...couldn't be happier that Price is a HAB.

I've seen more than enough from CAREY PRICE...to write this:
I wouldn't want any other (young) goalie in the NHL besides CAREY PRICE (to be honest...Tuukka Raask (sorry for spelling!) is right after Price for me (if we didn't have Price I'd choose Rask over any young goalie including MA Fleury and maybe even over Lehtonen...I really like what I saw in 6'3 Rask even if it wasn't 10 or 15 games (I'd take a gamble on Rask - right after Price - since I believe it's not a huge gamble...that said/written...Price would be my first choice if we had to do it again, not Rask, not Kopitar, etc...).

I REALLY believe that Price will give us waaaaaaaaaay more chances of winning a CUP than Kopitar (in my humble opinion), and I'm a fan of Kopitar's hockey style.

Price has a GREAT future ahead of him (whether the excellence starts this season or not he has a GREAT future ahead of him, IMO..., Price has already shown many signs of excellence for such a young age).

So, so, so, so, sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo glad Gainey/Timmins drafted Price at 5th overall. Sooooo glad. It's been forever we needed a young goalie with MAJOR FRANCHISE UPSIDE/POTENTIAL.

Go Price Go!!

Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 10:13 AM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
Not sure it's fair to say that the Waddell screwed Gainey. What he did was make - without a doubt - the best trade for his team.

That's his job.

And he didn't raise the price, per se. The only "shady" thing that Waddell did was tell Gainey, the night before deadline day that they had essentially agreed to a trade. In the morning, Waddell said there was a wrinkle. A new team had come in with a bigger offer that included Bobby Holik. Waddell, as a courtesy, let Gainey make a bid for a package that would have been Hossa/Hedberg/Holik.

I don't know if Gainey ever made a pitch for the three person package. Only Gainey and Waddell know that. I also don't know if there really was a team that made a bid for those three.

It appears, as the deadline closed in, if there was a team bidding on the three of them packaged together, they dropped out. (I'm speculating that the team that would have made such an offer was Ottawa.) But at this point, Waddell went back to Gainey and continued to discuss either just Hossa, or Hossa and Hedberg. Then, at the last minute, Ray Shero blew his brains out and Waddell had no choice but to accept that offer, and Gainey wisely chose to back away at that point.
I never knew about the Holik part, but I remember hearing that after Shero's offer, Waddell told Gainey he could match it by adding in Higgins (I think take out Chip, add Higgins or take out Grab, add Higgins) and Gainey told him to go with Shero's offer.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 11:40 AM
Habs

I still believe he made a mistake, and we would have made it to the finals with Huet / Price

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 11:58 AM
24Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post

That's his job.

And as you state it wasn't this very close to the Lindros to NYR deal scenario that had to go to arbitration? Wadell did finally squeeze out the best deal he could but the manner he did it was less than honorable.

24Cups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 12:15 PM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24Cups View Post
And as you state it wasn't this very close to the Lindros to NYR deal scenario that had to go to arbitration? Wadell did finally squeeze out the best deal he could but the manner he did it was less than honorable.
The Lindros situation was because Quebec sent into the NHL agreements to trade Lindros to both teams. They basically tried to say, "Scratch the fax for Lindros to Philly, we're sending him to New York instead".

A verbal agreement has no worth until something is sent to the NHL. Gainey could go tell Fletcher he can have Carey Price for Curtis Joseph, but until it gets sent in, its just the man's word.

Also, from everything I've seen, Waddell never said, "Marian Hossa is yours" but "It looks like Hossa will be yours". Had Waddell been happy with what Montreal had, enough to make a deal, he wouldn't have waited to field other offers.

Old
09-28-2008, 12:18 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
I'd rather have Price playing in Huet's place, instead of picking his nose on the bench. Huet was a UFA at the end of the season, and instead of getting nothing for him, we got a pick. I'm happy.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 12:30 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post
Its very simple. At the trade deadline they established Price was their number 1, he would have started playing a lot more at that time weather Huet was there or not. He had to ease into that situation over the season though, he wasn't just going to be handed the job at the beginning of the year over Huet(which is why Huet played more). The plan was always that Price was going to be given the job when they felt he was ready, which they obviously did at the deadline. I absolutely hate the trade because Huet was good insurance for us should Price falter, which he did.
See this is what I don't get about your argument. You're arguing that it is wrong to assume Price won't get the starts and experience in the playoffs if Huet remained a Hab. But all you're doing is making an assumption yourself.

Quote:
he would have started playing a lot more at that time weather Huet was there or not
How do you know Carbo would have started Price of Huet? It's Gainey who traded Huet, not Carbo. He showed he prefers experience when it came to the playoffs when he started Brisebois over O'Byrne. What makes you think he won't do the same with the goaltending job.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 12:40 PM
jcpenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
I still believe he made a mistake, and we would have made it to the finals with Huet / Price
Never in a milion years with the team we had last year. We would have probably lost to Boston with Huet in nets.

That being said, lets called it as it was. It was a gamble, a gamble that will pay off huge dividents in the long run. Gainey didnt know if Price was ready to be number 1 but he knew he could do it. All Gainey knew is that Price was the goalie of the future and that he wouldnt re-sign Huet anyway after the season. So, why wait till the end of the season, especially when you can get something back for Huet right then?

Also, there's the decision clincher that probably made it a no-brainer for Gainey, the «it» factor. Price is waay more talented than Huet and at the time, there wasnt much difference in their performances. However, we all knew that Price had room for major improvement and could only reach it by being «the guy». By being the guy, Gainey knew that Price would elevate his game and exceed whatever Huet could bring to this team. They also believe he had some Patrick Roy in him and could repeat what happen in 86' which didnt happen but we didnt know that Price would have gone to a major let down in the philly series.

Bottom line is that it was a real gamble but a very calculated one especially when you have Halak as a backup who's also very good.

jcpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 12:44 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Then this year we would've either had to give Huet $5-6 million a year or went into the season with Price as our #1 goalie as a huge question mark.

With this trade we found out Price can be an excellent #1 goalie and the problem wasn't just Price in the 2nd round it was also our lack of scoring, something Mr. Huet wouldn't have helped us with.

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 12:50 PM
TheCH*

Quote:
How do you know Carbo would have started Price of Huet? It's Gainey who traded Huet, not Carbo. He showed he prefers experience when it came to the playoffs when he started Brisebois over O'Byrne. What makes you think he won't do the same with the goaltending job.
Because Bob wanted Price starting, and Bob > Carbo when it comes to that.
Proof: out of camp last year Carbo wanted to keep Halak up, but Bob said no Price is staying.
Bob gets his way.

Old
09-28-2008, 12:56 PM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Drama View Post
With this trade we found out Price can be an excellent #1 goalie and the problem wasn't just Price in the 2nd round it was also our lack of scoring, something Mr. Huet wouldn't have helped us with.
Thank ****ing christ someone finally says it. I was waiting for someone to mention how playing Huet wasn't going to solve Biron.

Old
09-28-2008, 01:02 PM
TheCH*

What happened when they did solve Biron?\Price blew it!

Old
09-28-2008, 01:03 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Because Bob wanted Price starting, and Bob > Carbo when it comes to that.
Proof: out of camp last year Carbo wanted to keep Halak up, but Bob said no Price is staying.
Bob gets his way.
No that proves Bob > Carbo when it comes to keeping people on the roster. Carbo > Bob when it comes to deciding who to put on the ice.

You can't prove Price would have gained the same experience regardless of Huet being on the team or not because it's an assumption.

Old
09-28-2008, 01:04 PM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
What happened when they did solve Biron?\Price blew it!
Really? So the guy who everyone accuses of third period cough up goals, Cristobal Huet, who took nothing but pounds and pounds of "lets in easy goals" heat and "is not clutch" was supposed to help us beat the Flyers?

Jesus...

Old
09-28-2008, 01:08 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

I only wish the Huet fans would follow him to Washington. To me, the logo in front is bigger than the name in the back.

GO HABS GO!!!

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 01:08 PM
TheCH*

Quote:
No that proves Bob > Carbo when it comes to keeping people on the roster. Carbo > Bob when it comes to deciding who to put on the ice.
Disagree. If Bob had to meet with Carbo and say we need to get Price some experience here, Carbo would have obliged.

Old
09-28-2008, 01:11 PM
TheCH*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
I only wish the Huet fans would follow him to Washington. To me, the logo in front is bigger than the name in the back.

GO HABS GO!!!
I only wish Price fans would look past all the hype that goes with the name on his back, and admit that Huet could have been useful when our goalie completely imploded in round 2.

Old
09-28-2008, 01:13 PM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
I only wish Price fans would look past all the hype that goes with the name on his back, and admit that Huet could have been useful when our goalie completely imploded in round 2.
Useful? Sure.

Truth is, both goalies lost to Philadelphia's offence in the 2007-2008 Post-season. Had Huet been able to beat Philly, we wouldn't have played Philly. Neither goalie was going to beat the Flyers that season, because neither goalie's team was able to beat the Flyers.

Get over it, move on, the youngsters are more seasoned this year, perfect for a Cup run.

Old
09-28-2008, 01:15 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Disagree. If Bob had to meet with Carbo and say we need to get Price some experience here, Carbo would have obliged.
That would be seriously unhealthy. That kind of rift between head coach and GM is not a good thing. Trading away Huet alleviated that problem before it had its chance to lurk its head.

Old
09-28-2008, 01:18 PM
TheCH*

Quote:
That would be seriously unhealthy. That kind of rift between head coach and GM is not a good thing. Trading away Huet alleviated that problem before it had its chance to lurk its head.
Carbo was shocked as hell when Huet got traded. I think trading him had just as much a potential to cause a "rift" as simply meeting with him about giving Price some experience.