HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chipchura

Closed Thread

Old
09-28-2008, 10:06 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
He can move the puck very well with players who can take a pass. He is very smart and can distribute the puck very well coming out of the corners. I would like to see him on the power play. All that was holding him back was skating (which seems to improve every year) and faceoffs. If he could improve his acceleration the Habs would have a keeper.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I put no stock in how Chipchura performs in drills. He's never going to impress on phantom 3 on 2 drills or races.

Look at what a guy like Lapierre is. He can be a passable 4th line C, he can disturb a bit, he can get better but he can't move the puck well to wingers. Playing on the wing makes sense, but he'd be taking Begin's job and while Begin isn't flavour of the month, he has a job.

Chipchura has better instincts than Lapierre but he doesn't have his wheels. If your 4th line's job is create havoc, Lapierre may have an advantage, but we haven't seen Chipchura in this role enough to be sure. What we haven't seen is Chipchura playing with wingers who have some offensive jump. Until we see if he can be effective with a Higgins, S.Kost. or whoever, we don't have enough info.

Maybe the coaching staff does, but we don't. I guess we'll see if they consider him important enough to make a move to accomadate him. I like him and I hope things work out.

Old
09-28-2008, 10:13 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 883

I'm sorry but I think Whitesnake called this.

Old
09-28-2008, 10:14 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
He should have stayed up last year. He's certainly making a case to begin the season on the Habs. Looking better than Lapierre for sure.
I agree with the exception that his face-off % was around 40%, well below the respectable level in the NHL.

He's a lot better player than Lapierre will ever be. He reminds me of Carbonneau when he broke into the league. Not the greatest skater, goals scorer (at the NHL level that is, as both were good in junior) or stick handler, but he possesses a great sense of anticipation and he knows the game. Also a great leader.

I'd be shocked if he didn't stick this year.

Old
09-28-2008, 10:22 AM
HomaridII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
I agree with the exception that his face-off % was around 40%, well below the respectable level in the NHL.

He's a lot better player than Lapierre will ever be. He reminds me of Carbonneau when he broke into the league. Not the greatest skater, goals scorer (at the NHL level that is, as both were good in junior) or stick handler, but he possesses a great sense of anticipation and he knows the game. Also a great leader.

I'd be shocked if he didn't stick this year.
I never understand why peopl compare Lapierre and Chipchura, they are totally different players, fighting for the same spot, but totally different players. One is not "better" than the other, they just offer different things to the team.

Lapierre is a go into the corners, body check, talk all night to annoy the other team type of player while Chipchura has the potential to be a true shutdown center, he is very smart and has increidible hockey sense. In an ideal world, Lapierre would be playing wing on the same line as Chipchura .. thats how I see the future of these two guys.

Old
09-28-2008, 10:24 AM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
I never understand why peopl compare Lapierre and Chipchura, they are totally different players, fighting for the same spot, but totally different players. One is not "better" than the other, they just offer different things to the team.

Lapierre is a go into the corners, body check, talk all night to annoy the other team type of player while Chipchura has the potential to be a true shutdown center, he is very smart and has increidible hockey sense. In an ideal world, Lapierre would be playing wing on the same line as Chipchura .. thats how I see the future of these two guys.
They are totally different player 'cause one in reality is a winger and the other one has the REAL instincts of a centerman. Didn't have the greatest of camp in Pierrefonds but is doing much better at the right moment. Kudos to him. Problem is.....he won't and can't stay. If so, who's leaving? Who is traded and who wants what we have?

Old
09-28-2008, 10:27 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
He can move the puck very well with players who can take a pass. He is very smart and can distribute the puck very well coming out of the corners. I would like to see him on the power play. All that was holding him back was skating (which seems to improve every year) and faceoffs. If he could improve his acceleration the Habs would have a keeper.
I think it's a matter of being able to do it at the highest level though .

Old
09-28-2008, 10:29 AM
Corey

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNick42 View Post
I am kind of worried about his skating. However, even with that he will be a very good NHLer. Ryan White kind of makes Chipchura redundant in my opinion. I would consider packaging Chips in a deal to get a star player at the deadline because of this.
IMO you're making shaky assumptions.

Turning around what you said, Chipchura makes Ryan White redundant or even worse, not capable enough. In fact, is Ryan White one of the better Bulldogs or is he ECHL material?

As for your other point, gift wrapping Chipchura in a package for a star, the opportunity may not arise, or by that time Lang may have played himself off the third line.

Old
09-28-2008, 10:31 AM
mcphee

Quote:

It's not so much a comparison as I think it's a matter of what jobs are open. While I agree that Lapierre seems best suited for a winger's role, somewhat like Begin's, they are competing for the same position, unless Carbo decides that the best option is the changes a lot of us call for. Maybe he feels energy and annoyance are a bigger need than sound positional play.

I've always had a soft spot for guys that make it depsite not having the obnvious skills, speed, big shot etc., but find a way to be of value, so I'm picking for him.

Old
09-28-2008, 10:32 AM
Corey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparepart View Post
Uh, well didn't listen to that game, but the reviews I read weren't great. My point is, if Chipchura hopes to make this team he's going to have to give a full effort 100% of the time, not half the time, not a quarter of the time, all the time.
You don't cite your reviews. If they were written, name them.

Your point? You said you didn't listen to the game, so how do you know Chipchura wasn't giving a full effort?

Old
09-28-2008, 10:35 AM
Corey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulldogFever View Post
Chipchura has to play himself on the team, I think he will. If he was going to be traded, it would've happened by now. In 100 games Lapierre has 31 points, -3 & 86 penalty minutes. Chipchura - 36 games, 11 points & -1 - very similar stats. Next year, not everyone is coming back - Begin, Kovalev, Tanguay, Lang, Koivu, Dandenault, Kostopoulos and don't expect Maxwell, White or Pacioretty to make the team after one year in Hamilton. Free agents don't want to come here. We don't have 3rd or 4th line centers ready to play.
Are you finished with your rant or did you leave something out?

Old
09-28-2008, 10:39 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
Are you finished with your rant or did you leave something out?
Excuse me but I like to be the sarcastic one.

Old
09-28-2008, 11:27 AM
GNick42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
IMO you're making shaky assumptions.

Turning around what you said, Chipchura makes Ryan White redundant or even worse, not capable enough. In fact, is Ryan White one of the better Bulldogs or is he ECHL material?

As for your other point, gift wrapping Chipchura in a package for a star, the opportunity may not arise, or by that time Lang may have played himself off the third line.
I not sure he can skate well enough to make himself a good NHLer. Maybe 3 line center at tops...in the mode of a Brian Skrudland. Good size, grit, add the odd goal but not a great skater. Chips should have good trade value as he is young, NHL ready and a former #1 pick. If a trade comes about near the deadline for a star player I am not against packaging him with say Fischer,(maybe more not sure what it will take) for a star. We have depth in d prospects to make such a move.

Old
09-28-2008, 11:30 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:

I don't know that comparison is the right term. They're fighting for the last center spot. I prefer Chipcura to Lapierre.

Old
09-28-2008, 11:40 AM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
I don't know that comparison is the right term. They're fighting for the last center spot. I prefer Chipcura to Lapierre.
Lapierre can also fight for the RW spot with Kostopolous and Dandenault to split time on the right with Laraque.

In other words, Dandenault needs to go

Old
09-28-2008, 11:42 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
Lapierre can also fight for the RW spot with Kostopolous and Dandenault to split time on the right with Laraque.

In other words, Dandenault needs to go
About Dandenault, I do agree. But that's a lot of people on the right wing with Kostopoulos, Laraque and Lapierre. I have a feeling that Dandenault will be gone and Chipper and Lapierre will share time at center.

Old
09-28-2008, 11:48 AM
jcpenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNick42 View Post
I not sure he can skate well enough to make himself a good NHLer. Maybe 3 line center at tops...in the mode of a Brian Skrudland. Good size, grit, add the odd goal but not a great skater. Chips should have good trade value as he is young, NHL ready and a former #1 pick. If a trade comes about near the deadline for a star player I am not against packaging him with say Fischer,(maybe more not sure what it will take) for a star. We have depth in d prospects to make such a move.
Its funny how I always read about is skating being so awful but i always fail to see it in games. He's no Pavel Bure but his skating is far from being a handicap to him. When I see him play, I see a very smart player who always know where to be on the ice and never gets overmatched for a lack of speed. If you guys can remember, he did an awsome job Crosby last year in his first NHL game and the so called «lack of speed» was never a factor. Chip is an NHLer and will be a damn good one in this league.

Old
09-28-2008, 11:51 AM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
About Dandenault, I do agree. But that's a lot of people on the right wing with Kostopoulos, Laraque and Lapierre. I have a feeling that Dandenault will be gone and Chipper and Lapierre will share time at center.
That's believable.

It's also believable that we just move Kostopolous to the left wing and make our fourth line:

Begin/Kostopolous - Chipchura/Lapierre - Dandenault/Laraque

Begin is bound to get hurt like usual, Chip and Lappy can split time on center as you said, and once we finally drop Dandy, Lap can split time with Laraque (though I think Laraque will get 60+ games).

Truth is, its time for Kostopolous and Dandenault to go, but having Tom's energy is just really nice to have. When you are vying for a Cup though, I don't know if a guy like him is necessary. Great to have, but unnecessary. Doing that, our fourth line becomes Begin - Chipchura - Lapierre/Laraque, which gives us room for whenever we decide to play Denis and maybe do some call ups when Begin is hurt.

Old
09-28-2008, 11:57 AM
DrMailloux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparepart View Post
Well, its upto Carbo to decide if Chipchura has been playing his way onto the team. IMO Chipchura could be doing more (consistency), tonights game was a good step, but he needs to continue his strong play in EVERY game.

Besides, even if he does earn a spot on the team, then what? Send Lapierre down? thats not exactly fair to him, he hasn't been playing poorly (despite the opinions of some people here). Trade Danedenault? that would be my solution, but from Gainey's/Carbo's comments it seems like Dandy is not going anywhere.
I agree, i can see why Carbo prefer to go with Lapierre, better at faceoff, faster, gritty this is what you are looking for on a 4th line, Chipchura needs to do his homework in hamilton for one more year, im sure we will have a spot for him next year. He's more of a 3rd line shutdown center and we already have Lang or Saku on the 3rd.

Old
09-28-2008, 12:01 PM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMailloux View Post
I agree, i can see why Carbo prefer to go with Lapierre, better at faceoff, faster, gritty this is what you are looking for on a 4th line, Chipchura needs to do his homework in hamilton for one more year, im sure we will have a spot for him next year. He's more of a 3rd line shutdown center and we already have Lang or Saku on the 3rd.
So, wait... he is supposed to spend time in the AHL because he is a third line center? Why not get experience as a fourth line center?

Also, where do you get that Lapierre is grittier than Chipchura?

Old
09-28-2008, 12:02 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
That's believable.

It's also believable that we just move Kostopolous to the left wing and make our fourth line:

Begin/Kostopolous - Chipchura/Lapierre - Dandenault/Laraque

Begin is bound to get hurt like usual, Chip and Lappy can split time on center as you said, and once we finally drop Dandy, Lap can split time with Laraque (though I think Laraque will get 60+ games).

Truth is, its time for Kostopolous and Dandenault to go, but having Tom's energy is just really nice to have. When you are vying for a Cup though, I don't know if a guy like him is necessary. Great to have, but unnecessary. Doing that, our fourth line becomes Begin - Chipchura - Lapierre/Laraque, which gives us room for whenever we decide to play Denis and maybe do some call ups when Begin is hurt.
I don't see the scenario you're suggesting as being possible for the simple fact that we would have to go with 6 defensemen in order to stay with the NHL's 23 men roster. Usually, teams go with 14 forwards, 7 defensemen and 2 goalies.

Old
09-28-2008, 12:06 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
In all due respect, we have three offensive lines. It wouldn't hurt to have a shut down center on the fourth line as he's already very much capable.

As for the face-offs' %, you're basing it on last year and Chipper has worked on that aspect of his game all season long in Hamilton. Let's wait and see how he does before using that excuse against him. And it's not like Lapierre was lights-out on face-offs' last season anyway.

Old
09-28-2008, 12:48 PM
Locks

If they send Chip down and keep Dandy around, it will be beyond damn. His last year's demotion was a sequence of the horrendous Smoke signing and an unnecessary bringing in of Kosto. While I don't think Kosto is really needed with the glut on the fourth line, I'd be surprised if Gainey moves him just after a year. I think moving Dandy will be the most rational move. In any case, Chip is the only young center in the organization who can be a quality shutdown center with some offensive contribution. Ryan White hasn't played a single pro game yet and by all accounts needs a lot more seasoning. As for Lapierre vs Chip, I agree with many that Lappy should be playing on Kyle's wing as Max has the right qualities for a defensive/grinding line winger such as speed, size, physical play and a decent shot.

Old
09-28-2008, 01:10 PM
DrMailloux

Quote:
So, wait... he is supposed to spend time in the AHL because he is a third line center? Why not get experience as a fourth line center?

Also, where do you get that Lapierre is grittier than Chipchura?
Because there are no spot left ? and hell yeah Lapierre is grittier than Chipchura.

Quote:
In all due respect, we have three offensive lines. It wouldn't hurt to have a shut down center on the fourth line as he's already very much capable.

As for the face-offs' %, you're basing it on last year and Chipper has worked on that aspect of his game all season long in Hamilton. Let's wait and see how he does before using that excuse against him. And it's not like Lapierre was lights-out on face-offs' last season anyway.
I don't want to blame him for his faceoff, but ppl were saying this is why carbo sent him back to the AHL last year. He's a great player but the truth is if our 3rd line is Lats - Lang - S.K, i think they will play alot more than last year, the 4th line won't play much, we will want energy player on that 4th line. Anyway, i just wanted to explain that its completly understandable for Carbo not to use Chippy over lets say Begin/Kosto - Lapierre - Laraque/Dandy. He his still young and that he can still devellop alright by playing in the AHL. Im sure Gainey would never send kosto or dandy in the AHL.

Old
09-28-2008, 02:02 PM
zurg999

Quote:
and hell yeah Lapierre is grittier than Chipchura.
I like Lapierre but this is a bit of an odd statement. Chipchura is probably stronger (evidenced by his work along the boards), takes the body harder and will fight without hesitation. Lapierre gets on his man faster and throws his body around more but doesn't seem to do a lot of damage. Put them side by side and Laps will duck a hit or fight before Chip.

Old
09-28-2008, 02:04 PM
Erika

Relax guys, it was just one good game so far. Didn't completely outplayed any of the forwards in front of him in this camp, so he will have to do more than this to secure a spot for the opening night roster.

Let's see if he can pull it out on a consistent basis, which I doubt he can...

Closed Thread