HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers Notes - Burke & Kapanen

Closed Thread

Old
06-25-2004, 08:23 AM
John Flyers Fan

vCash: 500
Flyers Notes - Burke & Kapanen

Even though Sean Burke exercised his $4.75 million option, Phoenix is on the hook for about half of it. Look for the Flyers to buy Burke out... . Flyers coach Ken Hitchcock and general manager Bob Clarke might have talked Sami Kapanen out of retirement. Hitchcock says Kapanen has reconsidered, but can't guarantee a decision. "Clarkie spent a lot of time with him and he's reconsidering it," added assistant GM Paul Holmgren.

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/sports/9006287.htm

Old
06-25-2004, 08:38 AM
Flyers26

Good news on the Sami front!

Burke = huge waste of money!
Good Riddance!

Old
06-25-2004, 08:47 AM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

One of the few Burke supporters here.. not stupid though, good news. Good luck Sean.

Old
06-25-2004, 09:37 AM
GBailey93

Send a message via AIM to GBailey93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers26
Good news on the Sami front!

Burke = huge waste of money!
Good Riddance!
Personally, if Phoenix is on the hook for half of it, I say keep Burke around. Why have Antero sitting on the bench, only playing in 20 games? As soon as Esche has a few bad games, everyone will be on the "Antero should be the starter" bandwagon, and that will put unnecessary strain on Esche. With Burke here, we have a clear cut #2, and Antero gets to develop and play in the AHL.

Old
06-25-2004, 09:48 AM
FlyersFan10*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBailey93
Personally, if Phoenix is on the hook for half of it, I say keep Burke around. Why have Antero sitting on the bench, only playing in 20 games? As soon as Esche has a few bad games, everyone will be on the "Antero should be the starter" bandwagon, and that will put unnecessary strain on Esche. With Burke here, we have a clear cut #2, and Antero gets to develop and play in the AHL.
The fact of the matter is that our back up will be making more than what our starter makes. The problem that that can create is that we're wasting money on a backup goalie when that money can be better used on a resource that we will get use out of. Agreed on having Burke as a back up, but not at 4 million bucks, even if half of the four is picked up by Phoenix.

Old
06-25-2004, 10:04 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan10
The fact of the matter is that our back up will be making more than what our starter makes. The problem that that can create is that we're wasting money on a backup goalie when that money can be better used on a resource that we will get use out of. Agreed on having Burke as a back up, but not at 4 million bucks, even if half of the four is picked up by Phoenix.

If we buyout Burke it will cost us about $1.41 million with the Yotes picking up the rest.

If we keep Burke it will cost us about $2.83 million, with the Yotes picking up the rest.

Old
06-25-2004, 10:26 AM
Steve L*

A 3rd option would be to trade him back to the Yotes, then they arent paying him to play elsewhere.

Old
06-25-2004, 10:31 AM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Gotta have Sami K!

Old
06-25-2004, 11:52 AM
fan mao rong

People can sure read alot into 1 sentence on Burke. Seems if he exercised his option and Flyers did not (why would they?) then his salary would be $4.25 million. 2/3 of that---I get 2.85 million---less Pheonix's half---cost is 1.245 or thereabouts for a buyout. I would think Niitimaki would make $500,000 or less, so that is an option. To play Burke pay the $ 2.85 million. So they can save a million or so. We will see stories if the deadline to buyout is a factor.

Old
06-25-2004, 12:01 PM
GBailey93

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan10
If we buyout Burke it will cost us about $1.41 million with the Yotes picking up the rest.

If we keep Burke it will cost us about $2.83 million, with the Yotes picking up the rest.

I'm fine with paying an experience backup $2.83 million. I don't think that it is wasted, because Burke gives Esche that comfort blanket, and I wouldn't mind seeing him have it for one more year. Remember what happened as soon as Beezer left and we brought in competition for Boucher. He went to hell. Give Esche a full year as the started with his best friend/mentor as the backup, and I think it will be huge for Esche and his confidence.

And besides, why do we want to bring up Antero? If Esche is as good as showed last year, I don't really care if Antero ever plays another game for the Flyers. You can always get a veteran goalie for cheap, so why have a 1 and 1A on the bench? If you leave Antero in the AHL, you give Esche another season to show he is the real deal. If he is, trade Antero. If he's not, then you bring Antero up and let them compete. But give Esche the job for this season, with Burke there for support, and let's see what happens.

Old
06-25-2004, 01:21 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
Quote:

I'm fine with paying an experience backup $2.83 million. I don't think that it is wasted, because Burke gives Esche that comfort blanket, and I wouldn't mind seeing him have it for one more year. Remember what happened as soon as Beezer left and we brought in competition for Boucher. He went to hell. Give Esche a full year as the started with his best friend/mentor as the backup, and I think it will be huge for Esche and his confidence.

And besides, why do we want to bring up Antero? If Esche is as good as showed last year, I don't really care if Antero ever plays another game for the Flyers. You can always get a veteran goalie for cheap, so why have a 1 and 1A on the bench? If you leave Antero in the AHL, you give Esche another season to show he is the real deal. If he is, trade Antero. If he's not, then you bring Antero up and let them compete. But give Esche the job for this season, with Burke there for support, and let's see what happens.
trade Antero? man you are in the minority in this one. too have 2 good young goaltenders would be allot better then to have Esche and i dont know another Jeff Hackett who might have a big ego and cry about not getting enough starts?

buy out Burke and have Niittymaki backing up Chico next season.

Old
06-25-2004, 01:53 PM
ObeySteve
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to ObeySteve
I don't really understand this "Burke being a cushion for Esche" argument. Yes, Burke is apparently his mentor, but keeping Burke around at such a high price would basically be the Flyers way of saying "We don't fully trust giving you full reigns at goaltender for our team, Robert."

Quite frankly, I'd rather give Esche the comfort of knowing the Flyers have faith in him and have them also save some money, rather than spend the money and have a potential goaltender controversy at some point in the next season.

Old
06-25-2004, 02:16 PM
Bennevol10

Why do you want to buy out Burke... When you can trade him... Any team that will trade for him will cost them only $ 2.85 Millions for a season... That's pretty cheap for a starter... I have a better idea... How about Flyers pick up $1 Million of his salary and trade him to Oilers or another team who need starter with Flyers 2004 3rd round pick for a late 1st rounder... So stop with buy out B.S. You are going to spend $ 1.5 millions to buy him out... Why not spend $1 Million and get something in return...

Last edited by Bennevol10: 06-25-2004 at 02:21 PM.
Old
06-25-2004, 02:51 PM
GBailey93

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObeySteve
I don't really understand this "Burke being a cushion for Esche" argument. Yes, Burke is apparently his mentor, but keeping Burke around at such a high price would basically be the Flyers way of saying "We don't fully trust giving you full reigns at goaltender for our team, Robert."

Quite frankly, I'd rather give Esche the comfort of knowing the Flyers have faith in him and have them also save some money, rather than spend the money and have a potential goaltender controversy at some point in the next season.
I don't agree. I think there is more of a chance to have a goalie controversy with Antero as the backup as opposed to Burke. Antero is a young, up and coming goalie who wants a shot in the NHL. With Burke as the backup (even though he is overpaid) he is just that, the backup. He proved last season that he understood his role, and he accepted it. I am not so sure that Antero is going to be happy as a backup. I know that I wouldn't be, if I was in his shoes. He has proved that he is an excellent goalie on the AHL level, and now, I assume, wants to prove it on the NHL level.

Old
06-25-2004, 02:52 PM
Rex88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennevol10
Why do you want to buy out Burke... When you can trade him... Any team that will trade for him will cost them only $ 2.85 Millions for a season... That's pretty cheap for a starter... I have a better idea... How about Flyers pick up $1 Million of his salary and trade him to Oilers or another team who need starter with Flyers 2004 3rd round pick for a late 1st rounder... So stop with buy out B.S. You are going to spend $ 1.5 millions to buy him out... Why not spend $1 Million and get something in return...
A some sense in the group at last - I get tired of hearing buyout when StL would likely give a second or third rounder for him at 2 million. And if they do not, there are other teams that could use a relatively inexpensive still decent goaltender.

Old
06-25-2004, 02:55 PM
GBailey93

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkeMustGoDotCom
trade Antero? man you are in the minority in this one. too have 2 good young goaltenders would be allot better then to have Esche and i dont know another Jeff Hackett who might have a big ego and cry about not getting enough starts?

buy out Burke and have Niittymaki backing up Chico next season.
Sean Burke doesn't have a big ego and won't cry for more starts. That is why you keep him around. You think Antero is going to be happy rotting away on the bench when he should be starting his NHL career?

I look at the goalie position like I look at the QB position in football. Granted there are some differences (as during the NHL season you want your backup to play, this would be bad in the NFL season). But I think that you have to have a clear cut 1 and 2. No 1 and 1A stuff. You go with who you have, and if he isn't good enough, then you get another one during or after the season. But if you have 1 and 1A, then they start to get paranoid, and looking over their shoulder, which is the worst possible thing you can have. A clear cut 1 and 2 is the way to go. And with Burke and Esche, you have that.

Old
06-25-2004, 03:24 PM
Brad*

If Burke is bought out it will allow a spot for Niittymaki to come in, which is fine by me. At this point in their respective careers, Niittymaki is better then Burke and would also be cheaper. I think Antero would legitimately see more than 20 games depending on how well he plays, because Esche just doesn't strike me as the type of goaltender to play a ton of minutes every year.

Old
06-25-2004, 04:16 PM
Toonces
The beer kitty

I feel that Niittymaki should have a chance at the backup spot but I'm slightly apprehensive at the thought of going into the season with just Chico and Antero. With Burke you know what you have, a good (yes, he is good, not great or poor) backup who wont seem to mind sitting on the bench.

I'm simply worried that the expectations may be too high on Nittymaki at this point. I beleive the kid has what it takes, and should be allowed to prove it, but perhaps it would be best to keep Burke around for a little while. If Esche gets hurt then we only have Antero and Little to call on, which would force another trade. While I don't consider Chico's playoff run as a fluke, the orginization should be ready to act if he falters. I'd favor keeping Burke around IF we can do it financially.

Old
06-25-2004, 04:39 PM
blah

Get rid of Burke ASAP. Clear the money to spend it elsewhere.

Old
06-25-2004, 06:02 PM
Nuclear

I feel bad for Burke. I hope he doesn't have any trouble going back to Phoenix.

Old
06-25-2004, 06:29 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Sean Burke doesn't have a big ego and won't cry for more starts. That is why you keep him around. You think Antero is going to be happy rotting away on the bench when he should be starting his NHL career?

I look at the goalie position like I look at the QB position in football. Granted there are some differences (as during the NHL season you want your backup to play, this would be bad in the NFL season). But I think that you have to have a clear cut 1 and 2. No 1 and 1A stuff. You go with who you have, and if he isn't good enough, then you get another one during or after the season. But if you have 1 and 1A, then they start to get paranoid, and looking over their shoulder, which is the worst possible thing you can have. A clear cut 1 and 2 is the way to go. And with Burke and Esche, you have that.
I'm not opposed to Burke staying here, but I'd like to knock down that price tag. I wonder if there was a condition in the deal that if Burke, himself picks up the option, Phoenix still has to pay part of it.

Your second point, I think Howard Eskin of all people says it best...if you have 2 #1's, you have 0 #1's.

Old
06-25-2004, 11:08 PM
Rex88

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
I'm not opposed to Burke staying here, but I'd like to knock down that price tag. I wonder if there was a condition in the deal that if Burke, himself picks up the option, Phoenix still has to pay part of it.

Your second point, I think Howard Eskin of all people says it best...if you have 2 #1's, you have 0 #1's.
Say it isn't so GKJ, following something Eskin said???

Old
06-27-2004, 02:37 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonces
I feel that Niittymaki should have a chance at the backup spot but I'm slightly apprehensive at the thought of going into the season with just Chico and Antero. With Burke you know what you have, a good (yes, he is good, not great or poor) backup who wont seem to mind sitting on the bench.

I'm simply worried that the expectations may be too high on Nittymaki at this point. I beleive the kid has what it takes, and should be allowed to prove it, but perhaps it would be best to keep Burke around for a little while. If Esche gets hurt then we only have Antero and Little to call on, which would force another trade. While I don't consider Chico's playoff run as a fluke, the orginization should be ready to act if he falters. I'd favor keeping Burke around IF we can do it financially.
when are people going to give this kid a shot at backing up? i disagree with anyone that thinks Nitty will whine about PT if he was backing up next season. IF he did have that attitude then you might as well trade him now.
But since i believe he wouldnt, i think the guy has a good attitude and should be backing up Chico next season.

Old
06-27-2004, 03:09 AM
f1nn

Send a message via AIM to f1nn
I think Antero should start

Sami Kapanen

Closed Thread