HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

Richards vs Kopitar vs Stastny

View Poll Results: Most points?
Richards 18 17.82%
Stastny 27 26.73%
Kopitar 56 55.45%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old
09-25-2008, 12:36 PM
Scottkmlps

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ean View Post
Kopitar probably has highest offensive upside but Mike Richards is probably best Captain material, maybe a bit more of a franchise guy than Kopitar just because hes North American. Stastny, just solid solid solid, can't really go wrong with any of em.
What????

Scottkmlps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 04:57 PM
Martyros

Quote:
Originally Posted by ean View Post
Kopitar probably has highest offensive upside but Mike Richards is probably best Captain material, maybe a bit more of a franchise guy than Kopitar just because hes North American.
that's got to be one of the dumbest things i've read in a while on these boards. oh and by the way, Kopitar speaks better english than some americans.

Martyros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 05:06 PM
soSoFly

hmm... Mike's 2 goals today
makes me think...

soSoFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 06:51 PM
ELab2

Quote:
Originally Posted by soSoFly View Post
hmm... Mike's 2 goals today
makes me think...
serious goal scorers' goals too, I'm a HUGE fan and I was impressed as hell

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 07:02 PM
RingoCalamity

Terrific poll, all three guys are so appealing, for slightly different reasons.

Richards seems like a heart and soul, captain for 15 years kinda guy who if everything falls right will probably have a legacy somewhere between Brind'amour and Yzerman.

Stastny, well, for him the best comparable is another guy on his team. Not as gritty as Richards but probably has more offensive potential, if only a smidgen.

Kopitar...well, so far he probably hasn't been quite as good as the other two (although the team he's on has to be considered) but the curve he's on makes me think he could be better than either in a couple year's time. For that reason I'd put him on my team above the other two.

Very close though. You can pick any guy and it'd be tough to argue.

RingoCalamity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 07:10 PM
Captain Awesome

I think of the three that Kopitar is the best offensive guy and really has the best potential overall, they're really damn close and I don't think anyone minds having any of them. All three are great centers with a bright future ahead of them hopefully.

Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 12:28 AM
The Big Swede

Kopitar

The Big Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 12:35 AM
HotPie

I'll say it outright: I find Kopitar is overrated on these boards.

HotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 01:11 AM
chewey
dmitri

vCash: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotPie View Post
I'll say it outright: I find Kopitar is overrated on these boards.
I'd call Stastny underrated on these forums/hockey in general, but thats because it is true.
But I wouldn't call a 21 year old who centers the 1st line and gets nearly a point per game average and a pretty good 2 way game overrated.

chewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 01:15 AM
voxel

I witnessed the Richards transformation this past season and am very impressed by him, but you can not deny the size and natural talent and youth of Kopitar.

Kopitar can cut through D-men like a knife through butter. He's just a baby and nearly scoring a PPG on a ****** team.

voxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 01:38 AM
Sensfanman

Kopitar
20G-41A 61P, 72 games .847 PPG
32G-45A 77P, 82 games .939 PPG

Should be playing with the same or similar linemates as last year, Anaheim has regressed IMO, Dallas has improved, Phoenix has improved, San Jose is the same

Stastny
28G 50A 78P, 82 games .951 PPG
24G 47A 71P, 66 games 1.08 PPG

Should get more ice time, should be healthy, should be playing with similar line mates. Minny is the same, Vancouver is the same, Calgary is the same, Edmonton has improved

Richards
10G 22A 32P, 50 games 0.640 PPG
28G 47A 75P, 73 games 1.03 PPG

Should get more ice time, have better linemates (if Gagne is healthy). Pittsburgh is a bit worse, especially on D for the start, New Jersey is the same, NYR has improved, NYI has improved but is still jokes.

That being said, Stastny will have the best shot at the most points and should be attributed as such. He's severely underrated. Richards will be close behind, but might miss more games due to his style of play. Kopitar gets WAY to much love (he's still great, but he's a step behind the other two for now).

PS: It's not unusual for players to get inflated numbers on terrible teams. Look at Kovalchuk, he's awesome, hasn't improved his numbers much these past seasons and is usually around a PPG or a bit more on a terrible team.

Last edited by Sensfanman: 09-28-2008 at 01:43 AM.
Sensfanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 03:01 PM
voxel

Quote:
Originally Posted by familyguyman View Post
Kopitar gets WAY to much love (he's still great, but he's a step behind the other two for now).

PS: It's not unusual for players to get inflated numbers on terrible teams. Look at Kovalchuk, he's awesome, hasn't improved his numbers much these past seasons and is usually around a PPG or a bit more on a terrible team.
That's a TERRIBLE argument against Kopitar. Kopitar's contribution should not be valued by points. He's like Toews - a strong two-way player.

Kopitar is awesome because he played on the PK and on the top-line against top opposition with limited support - at 19! Until Richard's recent transformation, Kopitar's game kicked those bums ***** easily. In fact, in two years, when Kopitar is Mike Richard's age he's going to be a better player.

Old
09-28-2008, 04:13 PM
Sensfanman

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxel View Post
That's a TERRIBLE argument against Kopitar. Kopitar's contribution should not be valued by points. He's like Toews - a strong two-way player.

Kopitar is awesome because he played on the PK and on the top-line against top opposition with limited support - at 19! Until Richard's recent transformation, Kopitar's game kicked those bums ***** easily. In fact, in two years, when Kopitar is Mike Richard's age he's going to be a better player.
Read the OP.

"A fair comparison this time, no? Who will get the most points this season, now?"

Never said Kopitar wasn't good two way or PK, but this is a points argument only. Try harder next time.

Old
09-28-2008, 04:26 PM
voxel

Quote:
Read the OP.

"A fair comparison this time, no? Who will get the most points this season, now?"

Never said Kopitar wasn't good two way or PK, but this is a points argument only. Try harder next time.
I wasn't even responding to the OP... I was responding to your silly statement "Kopitar gets WAY to much love (he's still great, but he's a step behind the other two for now). "

I don't think he's a step behind the other two. He's at Richards level now (and even had more points on a team with a crappy PP and generally iffy scoring) and will project to be better long-term.

Old
09-28-2008, 05:38 PM
Sensfanman

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxel View Post
I wasn't even responding to the OP... I was responding to your silly statement "Kopitar gets WAY to much love (he's still great, but he's a step behind the other two for now). "

I don't think he's a step behind the other two. He's at Richards level now (and even had more points on a team with a crappy PP and generally iffy scoring) and will project to be better long-term.
I disagree, Mike Richards not only had superior PPG, he had 110 Hits, 46 Blocked Shots, 68 Giveaways and 46 Takeaways and was above 50% on faceoffs (50.5%).

Kopitar had 47 hits, 40 Blocked Shots, 85 Giveaways, 52 Takeaways and was below 50% on faceoffs (49.2%).

Beyond pure points, which Richards is equal to or better, he has better stats in every category except Takeaways Games Played. All Kopitar has going for him is age and to an extent consistency, he's 2 years younger and has put up better seasons that Richards season before last.

This is why I said Kopitar is a step behind, he doesn't have the physicality that Richards has, nor the Datsyuk-like intangibles Stastny has.

Long term, I just don't think Kopitar is going to destroy the league. He'll be hard pressed to improve upon his already impressive resume, and to me it's harder to improve when he's been consistently similar.

Old
09-28-2008, 05:58 PM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Quote:
I disagree, Mike Richards not only had superior PPG, he had 110 Hits, 46 Blocked Shots, 68 Giveaways and 46 Takeaways and was above 50% on faceoffs (50.5%).

Kopitar had 47 hits, 40 Blocked Shots, 85 Giveaways, 52 Takeaways and was below 50% on faceoffs (49.2%).

Beyond pure points, which Richards is equal to or better, he has better stats in every category except Takeaways Games Played. All Kopitar has going for him is age and to an extent consistency, he's 2 years younger and has put up better seasons that Richards season before last.

This is why I said Kopitar is a step behind, he doesn't have the physicality that Richards has, nor the Datsyuk-like intangibles Stastny has.

Long term, I just don't think Kopitar is going to destroy the league. He'll be hard pressed to improve upon his already impressive resume, and to me it's harder to improve when he's been consistently similar.
Looking at it statistically, this could be Mike Richard's peak. this is certianly not Anze's peak

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 06:39 PM
Sensfanman

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX attack View Post
Looking at it statistically, this could be Mike Richard's peak. this is certianly not Anze's peak
I'm sure they said Mats Sundin's fantastic 3rd season certainly couldn't be his peak. What about Joe Nieuwendyk? Lots of players can peak early or stay at about the same. This isn't NHL 09 where every young player improves every season forever. You are right, this could be Mike Richards peak, but it could also be Anze Kopitar's as well and 2 years difference isn't enough to change that.