HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

McLaren to be traded

Old
09-26-2008, 03:40 PM
Vitto79

vCash: 500
St Louis will grab someone, Schneider or McLaren since Johnson is hurt

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 04:01 PM
nikolai19

Expect LA interest to increase for McLaren for two reasons. One, Schneider is now off to Atlanta, and two, they are still in need of a veteran defenseman.

nikolai19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 05:30 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaasa View Post
As far as the Sharks are concerned, it is. That last thing they really need is yet another Center. And while Horton is a very nice young player, he's basically a skilled 2nd-line center, which the Sharks already have 2 in the line-up (Pavelski and Marleau), and 2 prospects due to hit the NHL in the next couple of years (Couture and Zalewski), and Torrey Mitchell who is injured, currently plays the 3rd line, but who could also play a 2nd-line role with no problem. So while Horton's value is high to Florida, his value to the Sharks is much less. The only way Horton has much value for the Sharks is if he can play the LW better than any of their current players in that position (Marleau, Michalek, and possibly Clowe).

Setoguchi is probably still the Sharks top offensive prospect (although he played about half a season last year) and who still put up nearly as many points as Horton did in his first year despite playing in nearly 20 fewer games.

All in all, I'd be fine with leaving Horton and Seto out of the deal, but then it becomes Marleau for Jaybo, and I don't see that happening because of Marleau's NTC and because Jaybo is not signed to a contract that would let the Sharks keep him.
Horton is a RW. He's better than any RW you have. Possibly better than any RW you've EVER had. That's without the benefit of Thornton(like Cheecho has enjoyed). Then again, Nolan was pretty good there for a couple of years. I bet next to Thornton, though, Horton would be better.

I don't disagree with the point of your post, and I don't really have an opinion on the proposal, I just wanted to point out that Horton isn't a center.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 07:28 PM
Vaasa

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Horton is a RW. He's better than any RW you have. Possibly better than any RW you've EVER had. That's without the benefit of Thornton(like Cheecho has enjoyed). Then again, Nolan was pretty good there for a couple of years. I bet next to Thornton, though, Horton would be better.

I don't disagree with the point of your post, and I don't really have an opinion on the proposal, I just wanted to point out that Horton isn't a center.
Well, he's listed as a Center, and I thought he was playing 1st line center in the pre-season, so I could be wrong.

As for being the best RW ever for the Sharks.. that's not likely. The Sharks have had Cheechoo (who put 28 goals playing the 3rd line before Thornton ever came to the Sharks), Nolan, Selanne, Falloon, Freisen, Victor Kozlov, and Sergei Makhorov just off the top of my head. Horton may surpass some of those guys, and like I said, I wouldn't mind having him, to say he would be the best ever RW the Sharks had right now is more than a bit of exaggeration.

Either way, we agree that no trade is likely.

Vaasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2008, 08:56 PM
Patty Ice
Best in the World

Send a message via AIM to Patty Ice Send a message via MSN to Patty Ice
Quote:
Possibly better than any RW you've EVER had.
Sergei Makarov, Owen Nolan, and myself would like to disagree with you.

09-27-2008, 11:18 AM
KarmaPolice
Antics

vCash: 8069
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
Maybe Atlanta wants another D after acquiring Schneider? They probably could use a tough guy like him in their top 6 to round it out. I'm thinking the Penguins might be a possibility, too, with their recent injuries to their top 2 guys.

KarmaPolice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 06:40 PM
Sinistrophobia

Quote:
Possibly better than any RW you've EVER had.
Heh.

Sinistrophobia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 07:27 PM
McOilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

vCash: 50
I'd love the Oilers to get him. He'd be a good #4-6 who can play ok ES minutes and can log some really decent time on the PK. How good is he positionally?

McOilbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 08:07 PM
superpie

Send a message via AIM to superpie
Quote:

Selanne may have to something to say about that, and Owen Nolan

superpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 08:13 PM
Joey McMoss
5-14-6-1

vCash: 815
Edmonton offers Cody Wild, than Edmonton packages him along with Roloson and a pick for Kari Lehtonen at the deadline. And Edmonton wins cup

Joey McMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2008, 08:23 PM
Irish Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
St Louis will grab someone, Schneider or McLaren since Johnson is hurt
I wouldn't hold my breath. The Blues will probably go with what they've got and give the kids a chance to learn.

09-28-2008, 01:57 AM
Pinkfloyd

The Kings make the most sense at this point. They're not looking to invest too much but they want a veteran guy who's got grit and while McLaren may be a pylon now with his knee, he still busts his behind and will set a good example for the kids there. I think those are the types of things L.A. is looking for in a defenseman if they decide to pick one up.

Judging by what Anaheim got for Mathieu Schneider, I would expect a return of someone like Geordie Wudrick or Scott Parse, if they return a body and not just a pick.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 02:01 AM
KarmaPolice
Antics

vCash: 8069
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilGagner89 View Post
Edmonton offers Cody Wild, than Edmonton packages him along with Roloson and a pick for Kari Lehtonen at the deadline. And Edmonton wins cup
McLaren's is half the man he used to be. Hopefully there's zero interest from the Oilers if he's available, IMO.

KarmaPolice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 02:35 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by superpie View Post
Selanne may have to something to say about that, and Owen Nolan
First, I was exaggerating. Second, I already conceded Nolan in my orignal post. Third, Selanne never scored thirty as a Shark. Horton at twenty two, twenty three has had better production than Selanned did at that point. Markarov I totally forgot about. He played like one full year for the Sharks and I was like nine years old at that point. Even still, he had 68 points that year. Horton, at twenty two, and twenty three, has had 62 in each of his last two seasons, playing on the lowly Panthers.

Old
09-28-2008, 02:43 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaasa View Post
Well, he's listed as a Center, and I thought he was playing 1st line center in the pre-season, so I could be wrong.

As for being the best RW ever for the Sharks.. that's not likely. The Sharks have had Cheechoo (who put 28 goals playing the 3rd line before Thornton ever came to the Sharks), Nolan, Selanne, Falloon, Freisen, Victor Kozlov, and Sergei Makhorov just off the top of my head. Horton may surpass some of those guys, and like I said, I wouldn't mind having him, to say he would be the best ever RW the Sharks had right now is more than a bit of exaggeration.

Either way, we agree that no trade is likely.
Falloon's best output as a Shark was 25 goals and 59 points. He never really quite lived up to that second overall draft position. Not a great career for someone taken so early.

Friesen had a couple of seasons where he put up comparable numbers(63 points) but he was much more mature and played for a much better team. Also, he's not a right wing. He plays left wing.

Kozlov's name belongs no where near this list as his best season as a Shark saw him produce a meager 16 goals and 41points. He was largely a bust. Wasn't he a center for the Sharks, anyhow?

Nathan Horton would be a superior Shark, this season, than any of those three were, IMO.

Old
09-28-2008, 05:18 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
Rangers have the following players fighting to make the team, and many of them are RFA's next season.

Orr, Voros, Betts, Fritche, Sjostrom, Korpikoski, Nedved, Callahan, Moore, Byers, Jamtin, Rismiller and Anisimov. Alot to work with there. Point I am making is that the Rangers and Sharks here might be pretty good trading partners.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToadFly View Post
If there really is potential to deal McLaren to the Rangers, I think the Sharks might be very happy to work something around Korpikoski. Left wing depth is certainly an area where the Sharks could stand to improve. Not sure what would need to be added to either side to balance things out though (if anything).
I haven't seem much of McClaren of late but am surprised to find out he's fallen so far. He used to be a #2 physical and shut down d-man. Who cares about points? That was never his game. But reading how little you value him, there is no way you'd get Korpikoski. Lion was just listing players, not suggesting who would be fair value. Korpi is a legit NHL player with 2nd line winger upside. Skates like the wind and with how you Shark fans seem to value McClaren, a player like Sjostrom would be closer to fair value.

I agree with Lion that the Rangers and Sharks would be good trading partners. Sather likes reclamation projects

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2008, 07:29 PM
Vaasa

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
I haven't seem much of McClaren of late but am surprised to find out he's fallen so far. He used to be a #2 physical and shut down d-man. Who cares about points? That was never his game. But reading how little you value him, there is no way you'd get Korpikoski. Lion was just listing players, not suggesting who would be fair value. Korpi is a legit NHL player with 2nd line winger upside. Skates like the wind and with how you Shark fans seem to value McClaren, a player like Sjostrom would be closer to fair value.

I agree with Lion that the Rangers and Sharks would be good trading partners. Sather likes reclamation projects
McLaren has been replaced in the Sharks organization by Murray and Lukowich. Both are cheaper, both are physical, both are stay-at-home D-men, and both are cheaper than McLaren. The Sharks need to get under the cap, and McLaren is the easiest to part with given his contract.

Most Sharks fans would probably want to keep McLaren, but we are all resigned to the fact that he is the most likely to be gone. At this point, Sharks fans would take a 5th just to get under the cap. That does not necessarily mean that McLaren's value as a player has fallen that much, just that his value to Sharks fans has fallen that much. Per Doug Wilson at camp, McLaren is fully healthy. And DW has been holding him out of scrimmage to keep him that way.

Vaasa is offline   Reply With Quote